• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopes:

Bigger maps, more interesting ideas (go back to FE 6, with its massive levels and interesting temple designs. That was fun.)

Harder and more complex character recruitment

Harder to reach paralogues, along the lines of FE7

No class change system (i've never liked it)

Monster enemy units

Fears:

No support conversations

Bad plot/characters (seriously, if they even mention the word "fate" or "destiny" I'm out.)

Children

I never really played Gaiden since I really just can't deal with how badly aged the game is so I'm super excited to play this. But I guess here are my hopes/fears:

Hopes:

-Supports. I hope they use these to build on the cast of characters because from what I've seen there is a severe lack of development in the original. I hope they have C-S but S acts more like A+ does in Fates in that there is no support, just an extra support boost in pair-up, speaking of....

-Return of Pair-up. I know it's very broken, but maybe with a bit more debuffing, it could be better. We haven't seen any semblance of it in the gameplay we have seen but I do hope it returns.

-Good rewrite. While I do feel we will got a better story then the atrocity that was Fates, I just hope they don't stray too far from the original or don't bother to expand on the original. Both would be bad. Just give me an expanded Gaiden story, that is all.

-3 Tier Promotions. I hope they stick with the class system we had back in the original and that includes 3rd tier promos.

-Just be better than Awakening and Fates. While I enjoyed both, they just didn't have the feel I have when I play other FEs and I hope that this game brings back that feel since this is most definitely the last 3DS title and I probs won't be getting a Switch in the next like 5 years cause money and shiz

Fears:

-Avatars, Waifus and Kids. All self explanatory but yeah.

Das about it

I really hope they flesh out the personalities of all the characters without turning them into one note gimmick characters (i.e. don't be Awakening or Fates). Seriously, the only characters that have double digit trope lists on TV Tropes are Alm and Celica (and the most after them is only seven).

I'm kind of afraid that they won't fix everyone having absolutely terrible growths like they did in the original, because seeing how the highest growths in the game are 50% just doesn't sit well with me for whatever reason.

I hope that they give characters more personality, and hopefully expand upon the plot, because, from what I've heard, it's pretty average and expected of the time. I also hope that the characters get interaction in various new ways, perhaps even outside of the potential addition of supports. Hearing them have unique lines depending on who they're paired up with (If that's going to be in the game) would be amazing.

I'm worried that there will be needless backlash and controversy, kinda like there was with Fates, and I don't want to hear people gripe and moan that they changed small things in the dialogue again. Outside of that, I'm worried that the game might feel small and have little to do in it, if only because of the close proximity to other Fire Emblem releases.

1 hour ago, Crystalized Silver said:

I really hope they flesh out the personalities of all the characters without turning them into one note gimmick characters (i.e. don't be Awakening or Fates). Seriously, the only characters that have double digit trope lists on TV Tropes are Alm and Celica (and the most after them is only seven).

I'm kind of afraid that they won't fix everyone having absolutely terrible growths like they did in the original, because seeing how the highest growths in the game are 50% just doesn't sit well with me for whatever reason.

Considering Shadow Dragon and New Mystery heavily altered growths, I wouldn't worry about this.

While I've never played Gaiden (like probably the most of the non-Japanese speaking world), I do know a little about it, specifically regarding the story. And so here are my hopes and fears:

Hopes:

-Better characters. This is a given, as the Famicon couldn't really hold that much space for supports and characterization. But with the 3DS, it would be nice to see some of the oldest characters in FE to be given the spotlight and receive better personalities.

-Expanded story. From what I've seen of it, the story in Gaiden was quite unique, albeit far-fetched. So I hope they expand it in Shadows of Valentia and modernize it, while keeping it true to the original as well.

-Palla, Catria, and/or Est. I think I saw somewhere that these girls from Shadow Dragon were in Gaiden, so I'd like to see them and/or other Shadow Dragon characters in a 3D setting.

-Monsters. I think there were monsters in Gaiden, and I'd like to see them again. I mean, Awakening had the Risen, and Fates had the Faceless, but I'd love to see stuff like in Sacred Stones again.

Fears:

-Children. Once in Genealogy was fine, twice in Awakening was ok, thrice in Fates, no. If the children come back in Gaiden, then that means it is a staple for Fire Emblem, and we'll never see the end of it.

-"Waifus." I'm perfectly fine with some of the "shipping" mechanics in this new game, but they better not overload it with fan service, or cater fervently to fans who play for the dating sim aspects.

-Avatar. This, I am actually kind of neutral on. I'd be happy if they didn't have an avatar, but if they did, I'd still be ok, so long as he/she was minimal to the story, a la FE7 or New Mystery of the Emblem (I never actually played this one, so correct me if I'm wrong).

44 minutes ago, Rex Glacies said:

-Palla, Catria, and/or Est. I think I saw somewhere that these girls from Shadow Dragon were in Gaiden, so I'd like to see them and/or other Shadow Dragon characters in a 3D setting.

Yep, they were bona fide playable units.  I'd be very surprised if they were removed, so I wouldn't worry too much.

I swear, if they bring back a children of Awakening into this game by whatever shenanigan I'll

1. Close the 3DS

2. Throw at the window

3. Cry in the corner

2 minutes ago, Nym said:

I swear, if they bring back a children of Awakening into this game by whatever shenanigan I'll

1. Close the 3DS

2. Throw at the window

3. Cry in the corner

If I had to guess, I'd say an avatar is more likely than not to be added to Echoes, but I'd be astounded if they found a way to add kids.

I don't want child units, but do want to see supports, just not every P supports with every V.  I'd like to see romantic endings be the exception, and not the rule.  I'd like to see platonic endings to supports for a change.

1 hour ago, Rex Glacies said:

-Monsters. I think there were monsters in Gaiden, and I'd like to see them again. I mean, Awakening had the Risen, and Fates had the Faceless, but I'd love to see stuff like in Sacred Stones again.

Gaiden is the game that introduced monsters to Fire Emblem, includings mogalls, gargoyles, and draco zombies. Seeing as a draco zombie appeared in the Direct, I think it's a fairly safe bet that monsters are returning.

My biggest concern is the map design, I'd like to see them take some more creative liberty with the map designs instead of doing a lot of maps with empty space like in the original. It'd be kind of neat if they have a "faithful" and "modern" option for this when you start a file for the people that really want the original map design, to maintain that faithful experience I guess; but I personally would like to see them give us some great new map designs.

Hopes:

- Improved Map Design

- New or improved soundtracks/OST. basically better music

- Modern mechanics/UI.  stuff like showing enemy ranges, effective weapons, better doubling threshold,etc.

- More flesh out plot/story. just better explanation on why things happened.

- Post-game/better DLC. As cheesy as it sounds, I would like to see if its possible to visit Kanto Archanea

Fears:

- Children/s-ranks/avatar. anything related to the criticisms of the past 3ds games.

- Maps being meh

- Frustrating mechanics. I don't want to miss areas where I can promote my units for example

19 hours ago, Rex Glacies said:

-Yeah, the Whitewing sisters are all in Gaiden.  Gaiden takes place in the same world as Shadow Dragon, but overseas to the west on the continent Valentia.  Though I don't remember why they were there aside from obvious fan service.

-Monsters were in Gaiden, and they were kind of like a mix between Awakening's Risen (specifically the Revenants and Entombed) and Sacred Stones's monsters.  They're actually very prominent throughout the game, and your units and enemy units could even summon monsters.  I think their appearance had something to do with the deterioration of the two kingdoms.

14 hours ago, Pomhub said:

- New or improved soundtracks/OST. basically better music

Well, I'm partial to chiptunes and NES tracks.  I got a collection of Gaiden and original SD tracks.  That being said, I also like what they did with Alm's battle map theme, and I can't wait to hear even more of their remastered tracks.  Everyone's clamoring for Celica's battle map theme, but I even just want stuff like the Encounter theme or Celica's setting off theme.  Though the final boss theme gives me a headache; really hope they do better on that one.

Anyway, my hopes and fears for this game stem from what I like and don't like about both current FE and Gaiden.  Would like to see the Whitewings here, would like to see an expanded Gaiden, would like to see updated Valentia, would love to have supports, but I don't care to receive the gimmicks of Awakening/Fates nor some of the awful mechanics of Gaiden.

Above all, I'd like for them to truly honor Gaiden in this one.  Give it improvements, sure, but don't royally fuck up the story or anything.  Like, I don't want Est suddenly going off and getting married to goddamn Sevr or whatever.  And if we have an avatar (which seems doubtful), I don't want that avatar to make Alm and Celica feel second-rate to the Gary Stu.

Hopes:

Gaiden music is great already, but I hope that remastering will be great too. I like what I heard from the Alm battle theme, but I really want to hear the others. Aside from the more obvious ones, the final boss theme I think is great too and a rather dark feel.

Final boss area should remain eerie, for that purpose. The design I am excited to see, too.

Supports and/or base conversations, and better characterisation by extension. I don't want it to be like Shadow Dragon with no supports and characters having barely any lines and doing nothing after they join.

Map design improvements, an obvious one others have already stated.

Third tiers, or at least an expanded two tier class system with more than a few added classes.

I kinda hope for the Gaiden magic system (and some other traditional Gaiden mechanics, some of which I've already seen) somewhat, but if it isn't there I won't feel too bad, either.

Fears: 

Let's just leave it as considering I've been losing interest in Fire Emblem since Awakening and I didn't even buy Fates, going towards that influence direction. I remain cautiously optimistic this is not the case from what I've seen, though.

Not enough work done on the characterisation or maps could really make it seem barebones, which is fine for a NES game 25 years ago but not so much for a 3DS game now.

2 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

-Yeah, the Whitewing sisters are all in Gaiden.  Gaiden takes place in the same world as Shadow Dragon, but overseas to the west on the continent Valentia.  Though I don't remember why they were there aside from obvious fan service.

-Monsters were in Gaiden, and they were kind of like a mix between Awakening's Risen (specifically the Revenants and Entombed) and Sacred Stones's monsters.  They're actually very prominent throughout the game, and your units and enemy units could even summon monsters.  I think their appearance had something to do with the deterioration of the two kingdoms.

Well, I'm partial to chiptunes and NES tracks.  I got a collection of Gaiden and original SD tracks.  That being said, I also like what they did with Alm's battle map theme, and I can't wait to hear even more of their remastered tracks.  Everyone's clamoring for Celica's battle map theme, but I even just want stuff like the Encounter theme or Celica's setting off theme.  Though the final boss theme gives me a headache; really hope they do better on that one.

Anyway, my hopes and fears for this game stem from what I like and don't like about both current FE and Gaiden.  Would like to see the Whitewings here, would like to see an expanded Gaiden, would like to see updated Valentia, would love to have supports, but I don't care to receive the gimmicks of Awakening/Fates nor some of the awful mechanics of Gaiden.

Above all, I'd like for them to truly honor Gaiden in this one.  Give it improvements, sure, but don't royally fuck up the story or anything.  Like, I don't want Est suddenly going off and getting married to goddamn Sevr or whatever.  And if we have an avatar (which seems doubtful), I don't want that avatar to make Alm and Celica feel second-rate to the Gary Stu.

Haven't played the game but fro what I remember reading, Est was randomly kidnapped by pirates.

Pretty sure theres no avatars, they would have showcased that. Its Alm and Celica Show(tm) 

I hope we get supports and cool reclassing. Other than that, it looks pretty neat. Dungeon crawing was a thing in Gaiden i think, (i never finished playing it due to not having a good patch) so it will be neat to see that whole bit realized. 

Hopes:

• More Class diversity. I know, this is the third or fourth time I said this, but having so many characters fill the same role isn't very interesting.
  • Supports, of course. With the cast as a whole being smaller, and the Two-Army-System halving the number of potential partners for every character (as they will never meet Characters from the other army for long enough to make supports possible), the quality of writing will hopefully go up.
  • That the game's artstyle sticks with the series for now. Much better then the more animesque style of Awakening, which I didn't like a lot.
  • Less fanservice than in the previous two games

Fears:

• An overabundance of S-Supports. While I think it's unlikely the game will have a second gen due to the backlash against the Fates-children, marriage could still be a thing, and that thought scares me. Sudden Fourth-Date-Marriages with poor/nonexistent romantic development before (because any romantic tensions in C-B-A-Supports would be awkward if the characters could already be married to someone else at that point) make for bad writing.
  • The maps staying as simple and open as they were in the original

6 minutes ago, Night Zap said:

Less fanservice than in the previous two games

The game's got a B12+ rating in Japan compared to Fates' C15+ (which was explicitly due to fanservice), so that says something at least.

4 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

The game's got a B12+ rating in Japan compared to Fates' C15+ (which was explicitly due to fanservice), so that says something at least.

I really hope so. I hate over the top fanservice. It always makes me worry about my mom walking in...

My hopes are for a competently told story and good characterization. Even if the battle-system is harder to get into, if there isn't good writing, there is nothing to get invested into.

For fears, i would say the gameplay staying TOO faithful. I haven't played the game so I can only based my opinions on hearsay but I will say that Shadow Dragon really offered me nothing, so I hope Gaiden 2 is an improvement.

One hope I don't think anyone has mentioned yet is an expanded soundtrack. Don't get me wrong, I've listened to the original, a d quality is generally on par with the rest of the series, but they can add in so much more in terms of original compositions 25 years later. I would also appreciate being able to select from Awakening and Fates for dungeon battles. As much criticism as older fans like to give those games, it cannot be denied they have great soundtracks.