If "Echoes" ends up being a series of remakes then the only game that would have any rights to have an avatar would be Blazing Sword. Genealogy of the Holy War for the child units. Highly doubt they are going to add either into SoV since IS seems to really be wanting to bridge the gap between the newcomers and veteran players in FE. Fire Emblem was a good franchise before the "Awakening" happened, so modernized versions of them should be a pretty good idea.

Only real fear is simply reusing the old maps. Pretty sure that IS would see the glaring problem comparing Gaiden's maps to something out of FE: Conquest. 

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, InfinityAlex said:

One hope I don't think anyone has mentioned yet is an expanded soundtrack. Don't get me wrong, I've listened to the original, a d quality is generally on par with the rest of the series, but they can add in so much more in terms of original compositions 25 years later. I would also appreciate being able to select from Awakening and Fates for dungeon battles. As much criticism as older fans like to give those games, it cannot be denied they have great soundtracks.

Did Shadow Dragon have much original music?

1 minute ago, InfinityAlex said:

Honestly, I couldn't tell you. Did Europe even get Shadow Dragon? It can't have received much promotion if it did.

We did, it just flew super under the radar. I don't think it had much if any original music at all. Speaking of which I do think people are a bit hard on SD, but as a remake it kind of does illustrate my fears for SoV: just super lacking in what makes the series fun for me, and seemingly quite low-effort.

4 hours ago, nordopolica said:

We did, it just flew super under the radar. I don't think it had much if any original music at all. Speaking of which I do think people are a bit hard on SD, but as a remake it kind of does illustrate my fears for SoV: just super lacking in what makes the series fun for me, and seemingly quite low-effort.

There also were really few copies. I remember going to my game shop and they didn't had it. FE was really niche at the time.

From the trailer, the only thing that really worries me are the map. They don't sems to have put lots of efforts from what we've seen so far. Hopefully it isn't representative.

One thing that makes me hopefull are the dungeon exploring. They took the original idea and fully exploited it. If most of the remakes is made in the same spirit, it will be great.

I try not to get too hyped about the story, since it can go both ways. What we've seen so far is encouraging, but what they've done before isn't  really reassuring. Fates proved that a good idea isn't enough to makes a good story. At least we won't learns 2 characters were lovers in the ending, where they were never shown interacting before... Boey show that they're not afraid or completely changing old characters, which may be good or bad.

I don't have any strong opinion about Avatar, but I don't think they would fit into the game. If Echoes is becomming its own subserie, I can see Avatar staying to the main games.

I'm mostly curious, though. How will Summon works ? Closer to its FE8 incarnation would be the most logical answer, but we'll see. There's also all the Rings (and the Shields). What will happens to them ?

Another thing that seems alomost certain is that it will be pretty. The characters shown so far all looks great, and the music seems to be excellent.

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

Did Shadow Dragon have much original music?

I'm pretty sure that about half of the music in FE11 wasn't in FE1, there's a few new player phase tracks and so on.

You can easliy compare the number of tracks on the main site as well.

And on SD in shops, I saw a copy at least once on shelvew. I wasn't interested in the series at the time, and SD was not exactly the game to stir said interest.

I really think not modernizing the game enough would hurt it quite a bit. We've only properly seen one map, and its structure was more or less the exact same as the original one, and while it's too early to jump to any conclusions, I hope they don't just copy paste for the entire game. As has been mentioned many times, Gaiden is different and very exciting for it, but it's also flawed and was limited by the technology at the time; not implementing supports or changing what made the game tedious in places in order to stay faithful to the original title would do more harm than good. Plus, I hope they will feel the need to add more sweet loot.

A part of me is also fearful of a cheesy portrayal of Alm and Celica's relationship. They've already established that they would never fight, and if they did, they should just apologize, so I can imagine a scene where Alm's pissed off for one reason or another and Celica holds up her pinkie to make him remember their promise. 

In a similar fashion, I wonder how they'll handle Alm's personality, which has been touched upon before. In both Gaiden and the Awakening DLC he's portrayed as more aggressive and rebellious than other lords. However, in Gaiden, he's also the realist to Celica's (exaggerated) idealist. Rigel is invading, Alm's fighting them and Celica gets mad at him for not talking to King Rudolph instead, somehow. While I want Celica to have a more logical approach to the conflict, I also don't want Alm to get neutered and portrayed as being wrong for wanting to fight back.

15 minutes ago, False Prophet said:

How do you think the dungeons will be designed? I hope it is at least up to Final Fantasy level.

In the original game it's not a major part of the gameplay by any means, at least for the most part. Villages are one or two houses and shrine dungeons just have a few, very small square-shaped rooms.

Of course, seeing as how they've added a Shin Megami Tensei-looking approach to exploration, maybe this is something they're expanding upon quite a bit. It's very hard to say without any information to go on as to how loyal they'll be to the source material.

Edited by Thane

53 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I'm pretty sure that about half of the music in FE11 wasn't in FE1, there's a few new player phase tracks and so on.

You can easliy compare the number of tracks on the main site as well.

Although it should be noted that Shadow Dragon also used tracks from Book 1 of Mystery of the Emblem. For example SD's "For Tomorrow's Sake" is "War of Darkness" from Mystery. Still, I'd say there is no lack of original music in that game.

Honestly, I am okay with whatever battle system throws my way. I can handle it. I don't like it if it's too easy.

But what I am afraid of is that if IS chooses to do supports to increase character background and growth or extend beyond what's in Gaiden, I hope that they limit to the characters that really do know each other or have some kind of relation. Basically just add more to what's canon in the game.

I REALLY don't want another shadow dragon so I hope the go all out with making this a pure re imagining, while still keeping a few of gaiden's quirks like third tiers, and deliver another extraordinary fire emblem game. In other words...not a shadow dragon 2.0 that ends up being too faithful. I'm hoping for third tiers, a PoR-like story and a bunch of new shit in the remake. If I wanted to play gaiden exactly as is then I'd play the original.

What comes to mind at the moment:

Hopes:
-More map variety and better maps in general. Gaiden has a lot of copypasta'd maps and a lot of really bland maps, so hopefully this game will rectify that.
-I wish Celica will get a proper class change/promotion. In Gaiden her "class change" just resets her level to 1. No stat gains and no new weapons to use. Lame. Also would be nice if she got a personal weapon like Alm does.
-Higher growths for the characters. I don't generally like games with super inflated growths, but the growths in Gaiden are inexcusably low.
-More class diversity. A lot of your armies will end up looking pretty samey by the time you get to the end of the game. New classes could help spice things up.

Fears:
-That none of the above will happen.
-That IS shoves another avatar into an existing narrative.
-In general, that IS will do too much to "modernize" the game and lose sight of what made the original unique. Though luckily, this seems not to be the case from what we've seen.

3 minutes ago, Robert of Normandy said:

Fears:
-In general, that IS will do too much to "modernize" the game and lose sight of what made the original unique. Though luckily, this seems not to be the case from what we've seen.

I feel like this is a mighty fine line to balance. If they do it too much, it won't feel like Gaiden, but if they don't do it enough, it'll feel like an archaic game with updated visuals and UI. At the very least they need to implement some kind of support or base conversations, because I've got no idea what half of the units are doing on my side in the first place.

10 minutes ago, Thane said:

I feel like this is a mighty fine line to balance. If they do it too much, it won't feel like Gaiden, but if they don't do it enough, it'll feel like an archaic game with updated visuals and UI. At the very least they need to implement some kind of support or base conversations, because I've got no idea what half of the units are doing on my side in the first place.

Well Gaiden is already better about that than FE1 was since you have to talk to every character in the game to get them in to your army. So everyone already has a little "here's who I am, here's why I'm fighting" dialogue right when they join you. But a little more throughout the game wouldn't hurt.

Edited by Robert of Normandy
spelling is hard man

1 minute ago, Robert of Normandy said:

Well Gaiden is already beet about that than FE1 was since you have to talk to every character in the game to get them in to your army. So everyone already has a little "here's who I am, here's why I'm fighting" dialogue right when they join you. But a little more throughout the game wouldn't hurt.

Ah yes, who can forget Boyd's legendary "I'm joining so you can have a guy with you" recruitment line. Truly tells me all that I need to know about him.

Joking aside, I agree with you, but the lines are ludicrously bare bones, which is understandable given the era the game was released in, but now? Not so much. I think a lot of us like Fire Emblem not only for the gameplay but also because you get to know a lot of characters and explore their relationships with one another, so not implementing something like that 25 years later just to preserve the original game would be folly, in my opinion.

38 minutes ago, Robert of Normandy said:

Well Gaiden is already better about that than FE1 was since you have to talk to every character in the game to get them in to your army. So everyone already has a little "here's who I am, here's why I'm fighting" dialogue right when they join you. But a little more throughout the game wouldn't hurt.

has there been any translation of what's being said around here in the trailer? because i sort of assumed these were the recruitment scenes

if they're not though that already confirms they're adding new dialogue considering saber's only dialogue is when you recruit him 

4 hours ago, unique said:

if they're not though that already confirms they're adding new dialogue considering saber's only dialogue is when you recruit him 

Since I'm an idiot I forgot to read what Saber said in Gaiden when you recruit him, though since that happens at a bar I believe and we see him on a boat this time, I assume something's changed. At the very least you either recruit him on a boat now or the characters talk while on it.

Robin - or now Tobin - just says a shortened version of his Japanese recruitment line, so I'm fairly sure it's in the very beginning. 

As for another wish: playing through the game again, I also remembered that I want there to be a bit more balance between Alm and Celica's party. It feels like Celica gets all the fun stuff, like items, units and locations (though not the maps; they're pretty bad in both chapter 3 and 4). As an aside to that, I hope there's a lot more loot in general to satisfy my dungeon crawling needs.

Just now, Thane said:

Since I'm an idiot I forgot to read what Saber said in Gaiden when you recruit him, though since that happens at a bar I believe and we see him on a boat this time, I assume something's changed. At the very least you either recruit him on a boat now or the characters talk while on it.

yeah I was fairly sure it was different cause I remember when I recruited him he was like drunk off his ass or something and he seemed to be fairly sober there

so that probably means that in some way or another, characters who only had recruitment dialogue will have more dialogue now

3 hours ago, unique said:

yeah I was fairly sure it was different cause I remember when I recruited him he was like drunk off his ass or something and he seemed to be fairly sober there

so that probably means that in some way or another, characters who only had recruitment dialogue will have more dialogue now

Indeed. From what I can find, his English recruitment lines are:

Spoiler

Oh, shaddaaap! Don't interrupt my drinkin! Don't gooo....y'all can't cross the sea by yourselves, can ya? 

Celica: Aren't you a mercenary? Could you protect us?

Saber: What? You wanna hire me? Hmm...alright, it might be interestin'.

And that's it. Whereas here in the Japanese version, while I can't make it out completely, I believe he asks what they'd do if they encountered pirates, and then says, as directly translated as I can make it sound "well then, let's start this quickly [I suspect this would be "let's get down to business" in English]: for that sake, why don't you hire me?", so judging by the English fan translation and what he says here, the recruitment lines at the very least are rather different.

Edited by Thane

My biggest hope is that the map design gets a complete overhaul. Other than that I have no worries, the trailer already show that the visual and sound design are good so my biggest concerns are mitigated (sound design in SD was so bad I couldn't finish it) And would I love to see axes, weapon triangle and pair up they are not something Garden has, so it makes sense if they don't put them. Also supports would be nice.

I'm excited that Gaiden is getting a remake, because of all the other games it was the one that needed it the most. My biggest fear is that this remake is being made in the Post-Awakening era of FE. Don't get me wrong, I like Awakening and Fates despite their flaws, but I fear that IS will shove boatloads of fan service into the game in order to appease newer fans. I don't want Takumi or Xander randomly appearing as playable characters in Echoes for one simple reason: Gaiden is NOT their story! One of the biggest problems with Fates was the inclusion of Awakening characters who didn't contribute anything to the plot and were put in the game solely for fanservice. From what I've seen so far I'm still optimistic about Echoes. All IS has to do with the plot of Echoes is flesh out the original story, add some NEW characters, and have a support system to give depth to the cast. Just keep fanservice on a very short leash and this game will be golden.

Edited by Wraith