35 minutes ago, Emeraldfox said:

Why should my Mages hurt themselves to cast magic.

Having not played Gaiden, I like this concept just like how I like fatigue in Thracia 776. It's an additional layer of strategical thinking on what I assume to be powerful units/attacks. If I attack here, will I have time to heal next turn? Do I have the hp to take a hit after casting or do I rethink that attack? Granted I don't know how cumbersome it is to heal hp though according to this site, hp costs look fine provided the cast gets growth boosts across the board.

And if breakable tomes aren't in the game, I'd assume that casting magic is exhausting hence why mages lose energy.

I'd like to see this game reopen everyone's perspectives on this series as a whole. 

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Emeraldfox said:

My only fear is if they leave the magic system from the original untouched.

Why should my Mages hurt themselves to cast magic.

Got some news for you...

Spoiler

3DS_FireEmblemEchoesShadowsOfValentia_01

3DS_FireEmblemEchoesShadowsOfValentia_02

These screenshots from Nintendo UK show Celica attacking a monster from range with fire, and we see her taking a hitpoint of damage for each strike (she strikes twice here, so she loses 2 HP), which is consistent with the HP sacrifice for fire in Gaiden.  There's another screenshot that implies Celica uses the spell Angel at the sacrifice of four hitpoints, which is again consistent with Gaiden.  This confirms that magic will be mostly unchanged.

I think that from a certain standpoint, it makes sense.  You give your lifeforce so that you can cast your magic, since one would suspect you'd need more than words and paper to fling all that energy and holiness about...  It especially makes sense when you summon monsters, since you're literally giving form and life to empty husks (or are calling them from another world), all of which I'd assume would be taxing on one's body.

Though we'll have to see if it'll be frustrating in Echoes.  My real beef was with the summoning, specifically the kind certain enemies do.  All I really want is if they're gonna keep these gimmicks, they'll also make an effort to balance them and... well, just make the game fun instead of a chore.  It helps that we'll be getting a more developed story, but even games with the best stories can feel like chores if the mechanics are bad enough.

A real fear I have is low growth rates. It probably doesn't bother most people that much, but the satisfaction of watching a bunch stats go up by one, or training a mediocre unit into a monster, is really fun for me.

I also really want True Hit to return, despite it not being in FE2, I also would appreciate the Weapon Triangle being in this game.

Another thing I hope for is that the style of the battle preview can be changed to something more in line with the rest of the series. The bars and not showing the direct damage numbers, only the results, looks odd to me and I don't like it.

57 minutes ago, Night Zap said:

Another thing I hope for is that the style of the battle preview can be changed to something more in line with the rest of the series. The bars and not showing the direct damage numbers, only the results, looks odd to me and I don't like it.

I've seen a few people say something along those lines and it honestly surprises me. Like why to people genuinely thing IS won't change something like that? It's clearly an outdated and less effective system the the series has moved on from. There isn't even any precedence since Shadow Dragon gave us the modern battle forecast. It's the equivalent to fearing the game will use the same graphics in my eyes (minus the obvious fact that we've seen the updated graphics from the first trailer).

I don't know if I've said this already but although I've personally made my peace with this remake and how it's (probably) not going to take advantage of the fact that it's a re imagining to fix any of the original's flaws, sadly I doubt others will be the same way. I fear this game will be labeled as "shitty and outdated" by pretty much everyone and that a lot of people will be like "oh boy another shadow dragon 2.0 -_-". While I've now seen the original and am excited to play a modern version of it, anyone expecting even any mechanics from fates or awakening that were actually good (like supports even being a thing) are probably going to be really disappointed and lash out like I did. If not that, then they'll just be extremely uninterested in what's actually on offer. 

I REALLY don't want that to happen and I hope this is the game to unite some of the people in the fan base. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hoping Echoes is being made for fans of old-school, undiluted, bad ass FE and not just the fans of all the pointless (silly anime) bullshit they've added recently. They've been stuffing so much extra frufru crap into these recent releases, I feel like it's taking away from the hardcore-strategy nature of the series and now the emphasis is on recruiting cute anime characters and touching them with your stylus while they praise you. Mechanically, I don't want pair up or next to each other (attack together) support type of shit. I would even prefer if they just keep the alm/celica & triangle attack supports and call it good with that. Honestly, imo, the less they change from Gaiden, the better. Updated graphics'll be sick, but other than that, I'm hoping for a straight forward, hardcore FE experience. 

Edited by skabahk

Few days ago, I started playing Gaiden out of sheer curiosity. It's been rather interesting, and I'm super curious about how many Gaiden's quirks will remain in SoV.

One thing I'm missing from the other games is having a refresher unit. I just encountered my first desert map in Gaiden and I keep hoping there was a way to move just a bit faster... Plus I guess I'm just so used to babying dancers in the other games. It seems dancers weren't introduced until the third game, but I can't help but to hope one of the additions to SoV would be some kind of refresher.

But since the game has two controllable teams, I doubt both of them could have a dancer or something.

3 hours ago, Carnation said:

Few days ago, I started playing Gaiden out of sheer curiosity. It's been rather interesting, and I'm super curious about how many Gaiden's quirks will remain in SoV.

One thing I'm missing from the other games is having a refresher unit. I just encountered my first desert map in Gaiden and I keep hoping there was a way to move just a bit faster... Plus I guess I'm just so used to babying dancers in the other games. It seems dancers weren't introduced until the third game, but I can't help but to hope one of the additions to SoV would be some kind of refresher.

But since the game has two controllable teams, I doubt both of them could have a dancer or something.

Mages are not affected by deserts, so you can go in there and Kliff (or May/Boey I guess...) it up if you want things done quickly.

6 hours ago, Carnation said:

I also really hope they introduce a dancer. I could see them possibly doing it for only Celica's army since her maps require more movement boosts. Alm's maps are more open plains and give you liberal access to Warp.

If they don't include support conversations that will be the quickest way to kill the game for me, I really don't want this game to mess up by sticking too close to gaiden. What I worry most about is that if this game doesn't really do well they will stop doing remakes.

Edited by Mackc2

On 2/13/2017 at 0:20 AM, EvilElectro said:

All I want for Christmas ♪.....

IS NO MORE FAN SERVICE

Fire Emblem since day one had fanservice. You and half the fandom willingly blind yourself to this fact in order to use it as a point against the 3DS titles. As I have stated and myself have proven. Most any argument used against the 3DS titles, I can point directly at any of the previous 13 games. No, that wasn't a mistake, I was including the one released on the Satellaview.

I've also said that they've fulfilled all my stipulations for me enjoying this remake. And that my fear is that people like you dragging this so far down that the Fire Emblem franchise will be canned by Nintendo.

Edited by SSJ4 Xelon

I do think there's always been fanservice (though I'm not so sure I would say it would be for every game), but there hasn't been anything comparable previously especially with Fates, where expy characters are included because... hey look it's an Awakening character.

Just because there may have been aspects before doesn't mean they were on the same level.

As for the person you're responding to seems to indicate that somehow there wasn't any before, sure, but I am making that observation.

Edited by Tryhard

1 hour ago, SSJ4 Xelon said:

Fire Emblem since day one had fanservice. You and half the fandom willingly blind yourself to this fact in order to use it as a point against the 3DS titles. As I have stated and myself have proven. Most any argument used against the 3DS titles, I can point directly at any of the previous 13 games. No, that wasn't a mistake, I was including the one released on the Satellaview.

I've also said that they've fulfilled all my stipulations for me enjoying this remake. And that my fear is that people like you dragging this so far down that the Fire Emblem franchise will be canned by Nintendo.

Of Course there has been fanservice, just not to the extreme that Awakening and Fates had. So I think he meant to say he doesn't want fanservice to excess or get in the way of gameplay. Your quest to prove people wrong has now ended. Your welcome.

I really hope there is supports in this game. Add some character personality to the units who previously didn't have nay to speak of. I won't mid if some end in marriage, I just some can be platonic. Especially with opposite gender supports. Not all should end romantically.

After playing gaiden a bit on my NES emulator, here are my hopes for the remake,:

-Expand the length of the game. Feels pretty short for an FE game since there are so few chapters and barely anything goes on in each chapter (at least so far from what I've played)

-Alter weapons system to match fates, add armory to world map

-Speed up gameplay. Characters move a bit too slow for my taste and turns not auto ending feels kinda weird

-Make unplayable classes playable in some manner

-Universal change to every characters growth rates. Most characters only get 1 - 2 stat points up per level up which is pathetic

-Improve skill of every character. Nearly every goddam attack misses, which get really annoying after a while.

-Add Branching promotions and reclassing

-Add Support system from Awakening, though S-Rank supports should strictly be of a romantic undertone, not marriage. 

-Add new characters to the game. In addition to completely new characters, I would also like to see more faces from archanea

-Add amiibo support for older fire emblem characters. Roy, Lucina, Robin, Ike, and Corrin should be able to be recruited by playing the opening map from their respective games. Marth should be battled in a map from Gaiden and have more depth added to him, with support conversations between him and the whitewing trio and Zeke.

-Add a player avatar who has a very minor role in the story outside of sidequest

-Significantly expand dungeon crawling elements and villages

29 minutes ago, FoxyGrandpa said:

After playing gaiden a bit on my NES emulator, here are my hopes for the remake,:

-Expand the length of the game. Feels pretty short for an FE game since there are so few chapters and barely anything goes on in each chapter (at least so far from what I've played)

-Alter weapons system to match fates, add armory to world map

-Speed up gameplay. Characters move a bit too slow for my taste and turns not auto ending feels kinda weird

-Make unplayable classes playable in some manner

-Universal change to every characters growth rates. Most characters only get 1 - 2 stat points up per level up which is pathetic

-Improve skill of every character. Nearly every goddam attack misses, which get really annoying after a while.

-Add Branching promotions and reclassing

-Add Support system from Awakening, though S-Rank supports should strictly be of a romantic undertone, not marriage. 

-Add new characters to the game. In addition to completely new characters, I would also like to see more faces from archanea

-Add amiibo support for older fire emblem characters. Roy, Lucina, Robin, Ike, and Corrin should be able to be recruited by playing the opening map from their respective games. Marth should be battled in a map from Gaiden and have more depth added to him, with support conversations between him and the whitewing trio and Zeke.

-Add a player avatar who has a very minor role in the story outside of sidequest

-Significantly expand dungeon crawling elements and villages

The chapters get much longer. 3 and 4 individually are probably longer than 1 and 2 combined. Overall Gaiden has something like 40 maps. You'll probably get through them pretty quickly due to the less siege like aspect of its gameplay but it's not lacking for content as far as games go (of course more is usually better). I estimate that it could easily be a 20 hour experience if you're playing casually. I wouldn't object to some new chapters introducing new characters and plot points and stuff but I don't feel like the game really needs it. There's plenty of space to move around for things like that in what we've been provided already and if they expand the dungeon crawl aspect it'll really have all the length it needs.

12 minutes ago, Hardin said:

They're not going to be pushing Echoes while the Switch is still waiting in the wings. That's just common sense. 

I keep forgetting that the Switch exists, so that's my biggest problem right there. My bad. x(

Perhaps we'll see more information after March 3rd. 

On 2/25/2017 at 6:24 AM, AmericanBuizel said:

Honestly, I really do believe the game is going to flop. I don't trust Nintendo at all nowadays.

Don't you mean Intelligent Systems? Or are you fearing for the localization of this game?

On 2/23/2017 at 9:46 PM, Jotari said:

I also really hope they introduce a dancer. I could see them possibly doing it for only Celica's army since her maps require more movement boosts. Alm's maps are more open plains and give you liberal access to Warp.

Why a dancer when we could get a Bard? I don't believe we've had a Bard since Nils.

50 minutes ago, Lyon's Dirge said:

Don't you mean Intelligent Systems? Or are you fearing for the localization of this game?

Why a dancer when we could get a Bard? I don't believe we've had a Bard since Nils.

What's the difference?  Dancer, Bard, Songstress, Heron, Drug dealer, call em whatever you want. I just want the ability to refresh units. Actually maybe we could get the original dancer Feena as a cameo. I don't believe there's anything in canon that would prevent her from being in Valencia at the time.