Echoes: Shadows of Valentia Localized Names Discovery Thread + Updating the Name Chart (new English Screenshots has been released)

Ok, I managed to complete making the name chart as of right now, Avyen Knight (VincentASM) and I that we're planned it for the Gaiden page for getting the people to notice in-case that some of them are don't realized it since April 8th, 2013, but I managed to improved more stuff using the localized names from Heroes website that was confirmed from the Fire Emblem Direct also and we'll might improve more stuff when we'll see more English trailers and footages for Echoes: Shadows of Valentia. But, this chart will might get massively updated when the game comes out. And please note that all the Playable Characters that weren't appeared or mentioned in Awakening and three bosses are in Heroes also.

https://serenesforest.net/wiki/index.php/Name_Charts/Gaiden_and_Echoes:_Shadows_of_Valentia

Also, just a requestable note: Can someone might please help fill out the rest of the kanjis, romanjis, and the other fan translation patch names that were from je2's (Wolf's updated stuff that he did mentioned about fixing bugs) and Artemis's in the chart coloms. I stopped playing Gaiden through Chapter 4 after defeating Grieth for looking around through the patch differences for helping out the community back then (I was super busy with College stuff and studying for my future goals back then)?

Edit from February 3rd: I managed to get a lot of the Classes, Spells, Items, NPCs, Bosses, & Titles and Factions down from looking a lot of pages from the Gaiden section. Might still needs some help with filling out the Romanjis, Kanjis, and mostly the Patch names from je2's and Artemis's version from Gaiden.

Edit from February 12th: We got new English screenshots from the UK website, it's confirmed that Saber from the Heroes website is still remains as Saber in Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, Claws was added in the game (I did checked for clarification that Claws was debuted from the Tellius series), Grave added in the screenshot, Japanese version of the website for Echoes: Shadows of Valentia has Valentia is now called Valentia instead of Barensia in the Japanese version of Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia since the original Japanese version from Fire Emblem Museum and The Complete had it as Barensia. By the way, keep an eye out incase if we get more English screenshots, footages, and info from Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, I will or someone who has access to the Wiki content in this site adds it to the name chart and Avyen Knight (VincentASM) will upgrade the non-wiki Name Chart for Gaiden Section and adds an another non-Wiki Name Chart for the Echoes: Shadows of Valentia section of the website. This title is now renamed as Localized Names Discovery Thread and I will ask one of the mods or Avyen Knight (VincentASM) to pin this topic so that we can contribute the site.

Edit from March 10th: We got a new trailer and new screenshots from the GameSpot website revealed, it's confirmed that Tobin from the Heroes website is still remains as Tobin in Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, Terrors (probably the new name giving out for the monsters in Echoes since Awakening had the mosters from that game were called Risen), Zofia Castle, this new possible term called "23rd of Pegastym", new skills that are added in the remake are called "Anti-Fliers", "Bowrange +1", & "Terror", and I don't know about this "Deliverance Hideout" location, it could possibly be Clive's HQ in Chapter 1, but I don't recognize the layout that was in Gaiden.

Edit from March 14th: I added the names that were shown in the PAX East Footage from the North American version of Echoes, tI did seen Lukas is still Lukas from the Heroes website, the villager girl's localized name is Faye, and the rest of Celica's team in Chapter 2 were remained the same from the Heroes website as well + added the Provisions, Grieth's Army, Seraphim, Invoke, Miasma, Mountain Graveyard, Leather Shield, Gold Dagger, Silver Purse, Black Magic, White Magic, and Archanist in the Name Chart.

Edited by King Marth 64
Another Major Updating (Gamespot acreenshots and new Trailer revealed)

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

I'm actually a bit surprised Zeke is still Zeke. Thought they'd go with Sieg.

Murdock is also Murdoc iirc despite Murdock being an official FE7 and FE13 name. Raquesis is also "Lachesis" on the site. I think we have some reason to doubt the site until Echoes.

id Wait for the actual Echoes to see what they do with his name, I still think they might end up going with Sieg.

Edited by Hero of the Fire Emblems

2 hours ago, Hero of the Fire Emblems said:

Murdock is also Murdoc iirc despite Murdock being an official FE7 and FE13 name. Raquesis is also "Lachesis" on the site. I think we have some reason to doubt the site until Echoes.

id Wait for the actual Echoes to see what they do with his name, I still think they might end up going with Sieg.

Pretty sure Murdock/Marduk wasn't mentioned in Awakening. Anyway, I think the site is likely pretty credible, as its name for Wendy, Gwendolyn, was also used in the trailer. 

6 hours ago, Jotari said:

I'm actually a bit surprised Zeke is still Zeke. Thought they'd go with Sieg.

Wait, where was that Sieg name come from anyway? Was that mentioned in Fire Emblem Fates?

Edited by King Marth 64

40 minutes ago, King Marth 64 said:

Wait, where was that Sieg name come from anyway? Was that mentioned in Fire Emblem Fates?

From my understanding Siegbert in Fates uses the same kanji for the first part of his name as Zeke does in Gaiden. Which makes sense. Sieg and Zeke look pretty different written down but if you pronounce them out loud they sound almost exactly the same.

I'm kind of sad they changed Robin's name into Tobin. I  used the fact that there was a Robin in Gaiden as a joke when discussing Fire Emblem: Awakening.
The fact there was both a Robin and a Kamui in Gaiden always amused me. I even thought of a very convoluted theory once, that I told to a friend that claimed that both Robin and Kamui from Gaiden were actually the Robin and Kamui from Fire Emblem: Awakening and Fates respectively. This was also before Kamui's localized name was revealed which added to the hilarity. Although from the standpoint of Intelligent Systems, I completely understand why they made the change.

5 hours ago, Hero of the Fire Emblems said:

All those inconsistencies make me hopeful Alvis will get his respectful name back some day. #AlvisForever

42 minutes ago, Jotari said:

All those inconsistencies make me hopeful Alvis will get his respectful name back some day. #AlvisForever

Alvis is a name that doesn't fit the character though. Arvis is a name with a completely different meaning that mirrors the story arc of the entire character.

out of all the names I have to say they knew what they were doing with Arvis.

1 hour ago, Hero of the Fire Emblems said:

Alvis is a name that doesn't fit the character though. Arvis is a name with a completely different meaning that mirrors the story arc of the entire character.

I'd buy that if Arvis didn't sound like a mangled Engrish mispronunciation of Alvis. I know it's a real name but to me it just sounds silly in comparison. First time bias can be a very strong thing.

29 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I'd buy that if Arvis didn't sound like a mangled Engrish mispronunciation of Alvis. I know it's a real name but to me it just sounds silly in comparison. First time bias can be a very strong thing.

I can't really argue the English bit without being a hypocrite as Maris sounds like mangled Engrish for Malice too

though Alvis= Wise One (He gets constantly manipulated and ruins his kingdom through being unwise so no this is not a fit) and Arvis means "Lover of the people" or "people's friend" (he has good intentions despite this and genuinely wants the best for his country even if he ends up getting led around by his shortsword into siring the antichrist and duped into giving him unlimited power, so we do have a fit here with this very different name)

13 minutes ago, Hero of the Fire Emblems said:

I can't really argue the English bit without being a hypocrite as Maris sounds like mangled Engrish for Malice too

though Alvis= Wise One (He gets constantly manipulated and ruins his kingdom through being unwise so no this is not a fit) and Arvis means "Lover of the people" or "people's friend" (he has good intentions despite this and genuinely wants the best for his country even if he ends up getting led around by his shortsword into siring the antichrist and duped into giving him unlimited power, so we do have a fit here with this very different name)

Considering Alvis ended up being reviled by the people I think both those meanings are suitably ironic.

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

Considering Alvis ended up being reviled by the people I think both those meanings are suitably ironic.

It's not so much the people care about him as it is he cares about the people. Arvis doesn't mean people like you as much as it means you like people.

if he was a hermit genocidist on top of the short sighted nature then it'd be ironic but Arvis is constantly trying to do the best for the country and failing miserably, eventually just basically letting Seliph kill him and take the Tyrfing to save everyone.

4 minutes ago, Hero of the Fire Emblems said:

It's not so much the people care about him as it is he cares about the people. Arvis doesn't mean people like you as much as it means you like people.

if he was a hermit genocidist on top of the short sighted nature then it'd be ironic but Arvis is constantly trying to do the best for the country and failing miserably, eventually just basically letting Seliph kill him and take the Tyrfing to save everyone.

I think you're picking up the wrong definition of irony. I'm talking about situational irony. The man who loves the people ends up failing to actually serve them despite his efforts. His fate is completely at odds with his intentions. Likewise his ability to manipulate and conspire might be seen as a form of wisdom but he ends up being out gambited himself.

2 hours ago, Hero of the Fire Emblems said:

In Norse mythology, there was a dwarf named Alviss. Considering this game gave us Sigurd (Siglud), I personally don't think they were.

Ok, I let Avyen Knight (VincentASM) know about the Name Chart is getting ready and he did helped out filling out all the Kanjis and Romanjis in the Playable Characters section of the Chart. I think we'll might add the additional characters from Echoes: Shadows of Valentia in the seperate section of the chart when they announce which new characters appears in the game. We still don't know about that guy with the dark armor since he could be the new character or redesigned like the other Gaiden characters and Avyen Knight did spotted a 4th Villager in Alm's group that showed next to Tobin, Gray, and Kliff that he doesn't recognize it from the original Gaiden plot from the Direct.

Edited by King Marth 64

It's funny to me how they averted the presence of two Leos in two games in a row by changing it to Leon, which happened to be Fates Leo's Japanese name. They definitely missed out on the chance to change Robin's name to Reflet though, it's definitely a better name than Tobin.

1 minute ago, Matthewtheman said:

Tobin is a great name. It's really grown on me.

What is this translated?

I can't read Japanese beyond some katakana and a few kanji. The joke here is that Kamui of Fates (Corrin) shares his name with Kamui of Gaiden.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Efi just looks weird in English. How would you pronounce it? E-fi? Ef-y. Seems like there should be a more naturally looking written form than that regardless how it's spoken.

Looks fine to me, albeit a bit short so I get where you're coming from. It's pronounced "Effie," granted in my head lol. 

9 minutes ago, Darthkeeper said:

Looks fine to me, albeit a bit short so I get where you're coming from. It's pronounced "Effie," granted in my head lol. 

Haha. I expected as much. If she's called Effie I think it's makes the most sense to call her Effie. We can't keep averting the one steve limit forever. Just imagine how contrived the names would be in 25 years time if we did!

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

Haha. I expected as much. If she's called Effie I think it's makes the most sense to call her Effie. We can't keep averting the one steve limit forever. Just imagine how contrived the names would be in 25 years time if we did!

>Implying FE names aren't contrived as it is