Angelcynn: The Myrcian Conflict - Act 4

Shin

Goodness, what a place... Cass waved happily at the guards as she passed by them, getting an eyeful of the decor inside the place... And she was quickly wondering if she could even afford something here. Perhaps if she had full access to her funds in Wyke, but with their meager sum here, would it be right to spend a large portion of it on this? She wished to, but... I don't even know if we'll be able to find someone here to marry us, now... Ugh, curse my luck.

Whether or not she could afford anything, her perhaps regal air had attracted someone affiliated with the place. "Charmed," she said, with an appropriate curtsy. "Commoners wait for sales, do they? I'm glad I won't be having the same problem~ I am royalty, of some renown... But, that can wait until I have seen if you have what I wish for. I'm looking for a set of rings. For my wedding. I'm sure you've got a large set of wares here, but... I'm really only looking for something more, mundane. I don't have access to all my coffers currently. Being out of the country tends to do that to you." Hopefully, something practical but pretty would spring up. She'd hate to have to search all day.

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marcus looked around the armory. They had a shield which would help with his safety, but it was huge and unwieldy. Not exactly something he was sure about getting, on the other hand; better safe than sorry. He looked at where Scarlet...would be, if it weren't for the fact that he'd left her to hunt in the woods. Cities outside of Toulouse didn't have accommodations for gryffons, and Raewald was no exception. It made him nervous to be away from her, but he was a knight. What else could he do, bugger off to Toulouse and forget his honor? Fat chance. If he had his way he'd get her armor, but this was not Toulouse. Any sort item that could help a gryffon simply didn't exist here. I suppose I'll have to ask about any wares they don't have on display.

So he approached the huge man once Adele was done and asked, "You wouldn't happen to have any sets of armor would you?" It didn't occur to him until after he'd asked that they might not have armor for man as small as him, and he not want to wear women's armor.

Edited by Honey Bunny

Angus chuckles warmly at the crowd's antics, tickling his pet's ear; at this Geoffrey takes playful offense, teething at his mother's finger. "How's anyone mind this li'l bugger?", the mooncalf muses. "Lookit, 'e's like a baby!" The beaming lunatic wasn't convincing the other two, even without a bloody finger. Morta in particular confronted Angus with a surprising idea--send somebody else? So recently was he the errand boy, the thought never crossed Angus' mind. As soon as he met the idea, though, he dismissed it.

"Why bother 'em?", the mooncalf asks rhetorically. "I c'n do it myself, and Geoffrey's no trouble righ' here." [Besides, where else would 'e go?], Angus mused to himself. [I still dunno how 'e got out last time; all I know is 'e gets antsy if I leave 'im be too long.] The cub's worst misdeed with its mother on hand was a mere toot, after all! Bear aside, Angus had asked Morta along for a reason. She knew it, too--why else would she ask Nelon along? A nagging thought gnawed at Angus: did she really distrust him so gravely, or was she just slamming the door on any further advances? Good sense suggested the latter, but it was all the more reason to clear the air right away. In bits and pieces Angus had considered his apology over the last stretch of their journey, and he was close enough to ready... there was just one courtesy that needed offering first.

"Sir Nelon, ah... that nigh' in Magon, when this'n out drank me an' we came to the barn, did I... say anythin'? 'bout... women." Cass and Morta were both very relevant, but he hoped to at least not drag Morta's name through the mud. If Nelon didn't know, Angus could be... well, the nobles had a word for it, anyway. Sounded like "desk-eat"? Even before finding out, Angus took care to walk just in front of the other two; hidden from the girl's baleful gaze, he maybe had some hope of saying what he meant.

Edited by Terrador

"Ah, is that so?" Owen nodded at the guard's information, pleased to know the Queen had thought enough of him to warrant respite in her castle for him and his sister. "That is great news, then." He brought an arm to the man's shoulder. "Thank you for your work. I'll see Tytila for myself while the Queen readies, I'm sure she'll be glad to have someone show me my provisory chambers then once we have our matters figured out." Retrieving his hand, Owen dismissed the guard, that one seemed pretty busy already, wouldn't do to distract him from his work.

Now, where to go was a good question. Owen wasn't strapped for options at all, if the map was any indication of Tytila's variety, but going to a time consuming place would be better suited for later, with how he still had an appointment in mind. A thought that kept in his mind lately helped him make a choice, though. Ever since Dettard's campaign, Owen had found himself unfortunately often on the end of a bowman's sight, and it was quite distressing to have no options to riposte or protect himself further --he was starting to get an aversion to bow and arrows, and he used to hunt casually! Now, a swordsman true and through, the sword's shortcomings were becoming rather clear, but maybe somebody with experience with ranged combat could give him a second perspective.

Owen goes... to the fletcher.

Hammer and Anvil

Adele seemed to have done well with the blacksmith, netting herself both a new axe and promises of a brand new Nacht. "If you come back in five days, I should have your weapon ready." he replied, placing Nacht back down on the counter. "I'm going to need to hold onto the original until then, need to get all acquainted with it and all that. You can pay then too, if you like the result. If you don't see me around, just ask whoever's at the desk that you're here for Ted's project."

Ted looked down at Marcus, their difference in size and physique rather striking. "If you're not a big guy, it's probably best you have something to keep yourself safe. It's best if you play to your strengths, but never hurts to cover up a little." he replied, almost analysing Marcus as he stood. "How heavy you thinking? I could probably whip up something a little heavier than what you've got for a grand or two. If yer needed something more substantial, might take a bit longer an' be more pricey like."

Trecher-tea

The store owner smiled, reaching below the counter as he fumbled for something or another. "What kind of milk do you want, mister? We got cow milk, goat milk, badger milk... even fish milk. Even gots some of that fancy Wyke stuff if yer interested."

Mentioning business made him far less jovial. Slowly placing an iron teapot on his counter, he slowly poured tea into th cup he'd just "cleaned". "Nah, my last lady ran off with a fella with an ass fer a face and an even bigger ass fer an ass. Both of them had an unfortunate... fishing accident. Real shame, they were nice people before they met each other. Orders are still pretty good, someone bought them a whole four ounces of tea as a present before they kicked the bucket. You wonderin' whever to buy something fer a friend?"

Conspiracy

Anthony listned to Sidney's grim recount of Oswald's health and Wyke's affairs. "I see, it appears Wyke is in great need of aid, it has both problems from within it and Deira from outside. Intelligence on Wyke's internal politics has always been difficult, King Oswald was always very careful about the circulation of information." he replied, letting out a small cloud of smoke from his pipe. "Duke Herman was always a massive aid to him, I swear the man would be able to tell you what you've had for breakfast. If there's some unrest from within Wyke, it is likely it was someone who could have benefited from conflict. Charlotte, I feel that Prince Owen needs to be very careful deciding who he can trust around him."

Thankfully, as Sidney began to describe Owen, her father's mood appeared to lift. Intrigued by such a radically different view of Owen, he couldn't help but ask questions. "If that's how he truly is, I see him going very far as a ruler. Queen Ethel took time to adjust to ruling after his majesty passed away, but with support... she was able to stabilise a nation who had no heirs."

Out of Stock

The mustached man had been idly playing with his mustache until Claire approached him, looking up at her idly. "That book? Didn't even realise we still had it." he replied, tilting his head to read the cover properly. "Some nutjob left it here saying the book was evil and could only lead to no good. Those church types are always a little loopy. You might as well have it, for I dunno, maybe three hundred or so? I'll even throw in the History of Turnips for free. Nobody's ever been interested in it... well, there was this one girl from years back, she asked the same as you but never came back."

One of the other mages in the store had started listening in to Claire's conversation. An older man in a brown robe approached Claire and the store owner, willing to impart some information. "I think I know the man you're talking about." he added, shaking his head. "Used to be a high profile priest in the area, but he started spouting nonsense... he lost his job ages back, but I think he's only been locked up recently. He's in the Asylum if you're interested, but it might be worth taking someone burly with you."

The Asylum appears as a location!

Serge began to care

"That sounds alright with us, boss." Lars replied, picking up a sack from the ground. "We'll probably have a look at the market, we'll try and catch you at the guild a little later. They might ask for money up front, hopefully there's going to be some funds left to grab a fella or two." The trio left their boss to his own devices, no longer as the Reliants but as members of the Hearthfire Crew.

Bling

The mention of royalty made the man jump for joy, almost pushing the other customers out of the way so Cass could approach the display cases. "Royalty you say... oh!" he exclaimed, staggering back as he stared at Cass. "Princess Cassandra of Wyke! My heart cannot believe it, it wants to jump from my chest! Do not worry about making full payments! I am certain your country will return to glory soon! I would be more than happy to accept an initial down payment and for you to pay later."

Gesturing at the case in front of him, there was a collection of rings of various colours and sizes on show. "If it were a royal wedding, I would recommend solid gold... and perhaps a tinted diamond, one that will coordinate perfectly with your own eyes." he marvelled, pointing specifically to a glimmering duo of rings. As expensive and refined as they appeared, one was clearly designed for a man. "Normally a pair would cost twelve thousand, but considering your status and the state of your country, I would be more than happy to only charge two thousand at this moment in time... unless you were looking for something else. Your taste takes priority over my recommendations of course!"

Banjoes A-twanging

Nelon was rather lost for words, it was difficult to protest against a man who likened a wild animal to a small child. "Perhaps a rather... hairy baby." Nelon replied, deciding that Angus was not worth trying to dissuade. "The night in Magon, you were rather... cheerful, your words were rather difficult to understand, especially considering my condition at the time. I'm afraid I cannot recall any mention of them, I believe you were too busy making polite conversation with Baron Esclabor."

The hesitance in his words was almost too obvious, not even Emily would have been convinced by his claims of ignorance. Morta cut ahead of Nelon, walking aside Angus and scowling at him. "What did you tell him, you need to tell me exactly what you said to him that night." Morta hissed, her face red as she tried to ensure Nelon didn't hear her words. "Cei-... Baron Nelon is too polite to admit anything, if you've told him what we've done, I'll make sure that Geoffrey's not the only one needing diapers for the rest of the trip."

Fletch and Stretch

The fletcher's was unlikely to be a location Owen was particular familiar with. Far more like a craftsman's den than a blacksmith or an armoury, the shelves were stocked with delicate tools and half finished products. A young woman was sat on a stool in the middle of the room, leaning on a table and whittling away at a lump of wood. She probably wasn't much older than Owen, and she had been so engrossed in her work that it took her a good half minute before she noticed him.

"Howdy, mister. Looking for a hunting bow? Really popular with nobility nowadays." she remarked, her eyes still fixed on her work. "If there's something in particular you need, feel free to ask, I'm still paying attention."

Fletcher's wares revealed!

Trouble in the Homeland, Part I of II

______

Harsh light re-introduced Susan to the world of the waking.

She squinted, giving her eyes the time it needed to readjust from the three-hour journey. The bag on her head may have had blinded her but she still had other senses for her surroundings. Like a metal hard floor. Angry foreign voices. Bitter almond scent. A chained vice around her arms and legs. 

Her vision sharpened. Dark red stains? Blood never stained on iron unless you had a lot of it.

A metallic clang grated in between her ears, of which her addled mind decided was the very tormenting sound of someone grinding his sword against her cell bars.

Her cell. She was in a cell.

“Wakey wakey sunshine.”

A burly man in armour stood looming over her, next to a campfire and pot roast. Sword in one hand, a bowl in the other. So that’s what the bitter almond scent was from.

“Normally we don’t take prisoners, but ah, when some lot starts cuttin’ up all my good men and takes the use out of them, well, that can’t go unanswered, can it?” He tapped the bars with his sword, sending throbbing waves of pain back to her head in sharp focus. “No good sport falling unconscious on us like that mid-beating. But ah, now that you’re up and about, you’re going to tell us a little something-something now, aren't ya?”

Susan's breaths were ragged. She stilled, hanging limply by her bindings like a doll. Her muscles burned with exhaustion, crying out for rest even while they twitched in place. “A little something-something?”

“We found this in your backpack.”

He casually tossed the bundle in. Pages flew, strewn across the floor. A poster of the Reliants recruitment. Pictures of Prince Owen. And a book, pages now torn from its spine. A full account of my journey in Magonsaete with the Prince of Wyke.

“I’m impressed: you can read.”

“The pictures helped,” he slopped up his bowl and swallowed it down audibly. “So now my boys and me are thinking: what’s a sheep doing so far from his flock? But ah, if you’re here, he can’t be far off.”

Twang. Twang. Twang.

Her head swam in agony.

Susan winced as she watched his breath curl in front of her. Everytime she thought she had gotten used to it all, her pain threshold finds a new fiery weak spot. A reminder that she was still alive. And that was what Susan did. Survive.

“Fine,” she acquiesced, “Upon landing in Magonsaete, we worked with a wizard known as Malaphar to retrieve a magical artifact and defeat two mercenary commanders. We took a break in Magon to rest and recuperate from one of our party’s wounds. At the time since my departure, their party consisted of Sir Baron Angus Kearney, Sir Baron Nelon, the Reliants mercenaries, Lady Adeltruis of House Herman, a monk, a mage and a diplomat. They’ve only just left Magon a couple of days ago. By now they should have reached the safety of Tytila’s walls.”

Her captor’s smug smile bore rapiers. “Pretty loose lips for a loyal hound of Prince Owen, eh?”

“I’m not exactly on the best terms with them right now.”

“Well, if you’re thinkin’ this was going to let you go, pup, sorry, but you still gotta pay for offing my men,” he said, nonchalantly reaching for his soup bowl even as his sword swivelled freely in his hand.

“Actually, you’re going to set me free, and you’re going to answer some of my questions. Notably on what’s going on in Wyke right now, and this whole operation of yours.”

The man laughed, and took another sip from his bowl. “Why do you think we’re gonna do that, angel?”

“Because before you ambushed me, I ground some nightcap powder into your food rations. Numb tongue?” Susan asked, “If I could start foraging for the antidote right now, you could probably still live with seconds to spare.”

Edited by Frostivus

Concerning Rumors

Spoiler

The second night of their travel, Cass found herself eyeing someone she hadn't spoken to in quite a bit, yet had been meaning to, all the same. Alain, their diplomat, still traveling with them despite all the issues they had come across. There was just one thing that kept bothering her, one thing Emmet had said. And it had to be taken care of, lest it eat at her mind until it became far, far too bothersome.

"Alain?" she inquired, as she approached the mage, unsure if he was busy. "There was something I wanted to speak to you about. Is that alright? I'm not intruding upon anything, am I?" An innocent approach would likely work best... He was a wily one, that was for sure, if his tales of slumming in Raewald were to be believed in the slightest. She had no reason to doubt them. "I was hoping to hear your opinion on something."

-:-

Alain had retired to his tent early that evening, still recovering from his undeath of days prior--while also reflecting on the events that had occurred shortly thereafter. With how apparent Owen had made it that he despised the concept of immortality, he was sure that he would have been visited, if not by the prince, then someone. But nobody had said a word to him. Whether it was due to the mistrust that Emmet has fostered in his final moments, or the respect he had as the Queen's representative--he couldn't say. In either case, he was content with not having to explain himself. 

"Oh Princess Cassandra, what a pleasant surprise," he said, straightening up. He'd been so caught up in thought he hadn't even heard her approaching. "Intruding? Please don't be absurd," he said, inviting her inside. They hadn't spoken at length since Magon, so her sudden visit was a little suspicious. Perhaps he was just being presumptuous, but it didn't seem like she was visiting him now just to pay him some pleasantries. Is this about Emily?  

"Now then, what is it that's been on your mind?"

Straight to the point then... Cassandra let herself in, settling down across from Alain, and choosing how to frame her next words carefully. "Emmet was many things. A devious schemer, selfish, full of greed... But, for all of his missteps and misdeeds, he has never once lied to myself or any of us... And, it's been eating at me, but he kept going on, in his final moments... About how you had died."

Cass let the air settle for a moment, hoping to judge for a response. "And I just felt that so incredibly weird. Why begin to lie now, after all this time, and about something so silly? You can't have died and come back, and it certainly wouldn't have been the vial; we're seeing now with Emily, that sort of thing takes time... So why would he say that? And be so convinced about it? I can't fathom why..." She wasn't trying to pry into Alain, mostly trying to scratch a mental itch she'd been having. If that meant prying into him, though, well... She'd be game.

Alain sighed, it was better the Princess than the Champion of Death himself, but he would have hoped to get off easy this one time. Alain deliberated on how best to proceed. He could always tell the truth, but it was often the case that truth was stranger than fiction. 

"Princess, with all due respect, I should inform you that I am liable to answer only to my Lord and my Queen. If Sir Emmet has given you or the Prince reason to doubt where my allegiances lie, I should remind you that it is his word to Queen Ethel's," he glowered. 

"But, it appears that isn't the case and I can clearly see that Sir Emmet's execution has been some cause of concern for you. Since we're... friends... I'll try and sate your curiosity," he added, returning to his previous air of cordiality. Belial had praised his natural inclination to learn, and it had been his saving grace amidst the suffocating darkness. To fully deny Cassandra would be hypocritical, but he'd still have to tread carefully.

"To begin with, the question you pose to me is a question that would have best been posited before Prince Owen denied my request to prolong Emmet's life. I understand that, as Prince of Wyke, it is his right to act in accordance to what he deems best for his people, but I cannot say I agree with his hastiness in matters such as these. You see now for yourself, how you are left with questions that will never be answered," he said, aimlessly flipping through one of his tomes. 

"Before I begin to answer your question, answer me this: how much do you know about the man named Malaphar? To my understanding, Malaphar has known your family for quite some time. Did you ask Sir Emmet before his death, about Malaphar's so called--world? Did Prince Owen recount to you the details? What of Lady Claire, or Sir Angus, or Baron Nelon? I'd like to know what you know, before I can continue," he said.     

Cass faintly raised an eyebrow. A defense like that, so early? Hmm... I had hoped Alain had nothing to hide. "I have no doubt of your allegiances. You've stepped up to help us in many scenarios where you could've done otherwise. If you're saving your turn at betrayal for some grand stage, I feel you may have missed your moment." Cass scoffed, but nodded. "No, this is just me satisfying a curiosity. Nothing from Owen, nothing to press against you. As well, I would like to this us at least acquaintances, no? Your hesitation to say friends wounds me, Sir Duhamel~" Cass managed a chuckle, hoping she was handling the quips well. She didn't want to do this poorly and turn him away from a discussion entirely.

"Ah, yes... My... Brother's, quick decision. I had not wished for Emmet to die, truly. Locked away, subjected to Raewaldian justice, but a death so swift in decision... I fear Owen may have been pressured by the situation; the twins, previous encounters with Malaphar. He's always been a passive soul in court, back home. He must be feeling the pressures of being regent of Wyke... Not to use that as an excuse, simply an explanation. And, yes... I do. If Emmet does not tell lies as I have claimed, he would've been more than happy to explain why he was saying what he did. I come to you to see if they have merit, but... Well, if this is something you wish not to answer, by no means must you. You've said so yourself." She smiled. This battle of the minds was amusing, and better yet, it was engaging in a way that didn't make her feel upset. Perhaps making these discussions a regular occurrence with someone would prove stimulating.

"Malaphar?" The name gave her a shiver, that accursed wizard that had daunted their group. "Has he? I know little of him. Until we met at the beachhead fort, I had not heard of even his name. And... I was, not in the right state of mind at the time. I wished for nothing to do with Malaphar, or anything related to him. In fact, what is this world you speak of? Owen has told me nothing, either for my own safety, or through his concern. Please... If there are things I should know, they are more important than my inquiry. We can always return to that." This had turned, very quickly, into a rather confusion situation. Why wouldn't Owen have told her about any of this?

Alain stifled a chuckle as Cass' mentioned that he'd missed his opportunity for grandeur. There were more important things he had to attend to beyond satisfying such a paltry desire. He commended both Scuttle and Emmet for their passion and persistence, but he would not allow himself to fall prey to their impulsiveness. There was no need to, at any rate.

"I see that it appears the royal siblings do not converse as closely as I might have imagined," he said, raising a brow. Owen had seemed confused when he'd made mentioned of Scuttle prior to Emmet's execution. He expected Cassandra to have spoken to him of the matter, but apparently that wasn't the case. And the secrecy of information walked on two avenues it seemed, as the Prince hadn't made mention of his trials either. 

He took a moment, pretending to ponder with fierce intensity. "Hmm, I don't know Princess. If the Prince has kept something so important from you, perhaps he has a good reason?" he shrugged. "Though, I did mention before I hold myself accountable only to two," he said coyly, brushing his fingers through his hair, letting the statement linger for a moment.

"Ignorance is bliss, Princess Cassandra. I have no qualms with telling you what I know...should you desire it to be so, but think on it before you decide," he concluded.  

"Also, there's another matter," he said, rummaging through his tome once more. "If Emily does not wake soon, I would like to request your permission to examine her and conduct a bit of research once we return to Raewald. I believe such an arrangement would be beneficial to us both, and you're free to accompany me for the duration," he said.

"Of course, don't allow me to mislead you into believing this is an equivalent exchange. Almost everything I can tell you can also be told by Prince Owen. If you'd prefer to speak with him now, and then return here to further discuss the matters which Sir Emmet has left us with, that's completely fine as well. It's just that, like you, I also have my own curiosities that I'd like to satisfy," he said, resting his gaze upon the Princess.     

"Maybe..." If it was such an issue, Owen would have told her, surely... It must have been because of her state from his disappearance, that further discussion of the wizard would have done her no good. "Tell me, if you would," she retorted, letting herself think on it no longer. "Owen was likely looking out for me. That's all. I'm confident I have what it takes to handle anything you have to say, now." Hopefully, that was that.

Another matter, hmm? Interesting. "Why does her status concern you? I didn't think you the type to look into this magical mess... But, if she does not awake before our trip is finished, I will allow you examine her and conduct some research. I will not be present, though. I would ask that you bring Claire with you, instead. The vial was her undertaking before it came into my possession, and I am sure that she would love to see anything that comes of it."

"If that does satisfy your curiosities... Then, please, I'll beg, just a bit," she said, leaning forward some. "You were so quick to guard my prodding of what Emmet said; don't you know anything? I'm ever so curious... If it's truly something so fantastic that you would fear spreading it, I could swear to not let it leave this tent. I am unlike my brother; I will not suddenly condemn you for some magic you possess. Really, were there some other method to bringing the dead back than this damned vial, I'd think most would be overjoyed!"

"Is that so?" he asked, slightly puzzled by her assumption. "I realize that I appear before you as a diplomat and representative of my kingdom, but before I acquired those responsibilities, I was a disciple of magic--and I still very much consider myself so," he said. Fortunately, he didn't need to justify himself any further as the Princess had given her permission. Though he noted that she seemed reluctant to offer her presence. Is she feeling guilty? 

He didn't really mind including Lady Claire, but it just bothered him a bit that he wouldn't have a healer on hand. I suppose I can make arrangements either way... 

"In any event, let us begin with Malaphar, and from there, perhaps you will obtain a better understanding of what it is I have to say thereafter," he said. Cassandra seemed oddly captivated by the prospect of resurrection. It was a stark contrast to Owen who wanted nothing more than to eradicate the very thought. Her swearing to silence was amusing, but he was used to the upper-class saying one thing and doing another.   

"The first thing I think you should know is that, if he is to be believed, Malaphar is someone who has known your family for quite some time--your father specifically. Though that's a minor detail really," he said, frowning. "You recall when Prince Owen and his companions were taken by Malaphar, yes? How it seemed as though, at a moments notice, they had been erased from the world?"

He held up two fists to help demonstrate the point he was about to make. "Normally one might imagine such magic to involve a linear design," he said, rotating his fist. "A mage, usually by aid of instrument, can move himself or someone else from point A to point B. However it is my understanding that Malaphar did this," he said, pointing his one finger to the other fist he'd held in the air. He moved from point A to point 1, and as you can see, there is a lot of empty space he had to travel to get to this 'point 1'. Not only that, but he brought close to half a dozen people with him. Without the aid of a staff or tome, mind. As you can begin to imagine, this is an extraordinary feat," he said.

"Point 1, in this case, is what I, and Malaphar himself has mentioned as 'his world'. The entirely place looks to be a vile caricature of Angelcynn and the land therein. I might have imagined such a place to be merely a powerful illusion based magic, akin to what Serge's mercenary Morganna might employ. However, as you might ask Prince Owen or his companions, Malaphar's world feels quite real--and quite dangerous. And it appears to be a space thoroughly in his control as you or I might control our arms and legs," he sighed. Now that he was reciting all of this out loud, it seemed far more dire than what he'd had in his head.

"Do you follow what I'm saying, Princess?"

"If you say so." There was no need to fuss on that, he was definitely a mage. All cases of him casting magic had gone wonderfully, so this must've just been another curiosity of said craft that he wished to explore. Easy enough.

"Sure," was her casual reply, as she wonder what the explanation would consist of. Of course, it would only bring more wonder-- even the first part mentioned had her mind popping up questions. My father? But the man looked... He couldn't possibly have been that old. Had he taken the vial himself? But he was so wounded, that one time... Does this medicine not treat wounds? Ahh, but they were quashed as she shuddered, forced to remember her weakest moment. "Yes... I do recall. Too well. Continue."

Cass mildly flinched as Alain brought his hands up, going through his explanation. It took a moment for things to click, but Cass thought she understood what he was getting at. "I've barely managed to move people with a staff, so yes, I can understand how terrible a feat it is."

And there was his world, this... Twisted place. And Cass' first hearing of it. It sounded terrible. Why would someone want such a world? Maybe... It looks different, to him? It was something to think about. But she understood that it could be no illusion. Nelon's wounds had said as much. Even if Claire had some part in them, something else had to have participated; they were too grave.

"I do follow... I'd rather I didn't, but, I do, and it's... It's not good. Though I am glad to know, now, if at least to be informed of what's been going on. So thank you, Alain." It was one worry replaced with another, though that seemed to be the way of things.

"Yes, I can imagine the feeling," he sighed, taking a moment for himself to carefully consider his next words. It was unlikely that anything he said could directly lead to his execution--his status was far too high for him to be killed without trial. And it's not like Cassandra hadn't had her fair share of tampering with taboo. But even so, he remained cautious. 

"Now that you understand the sort of man we're dealing with, allow me to touch upon the matters that Sir Emmet has left us with," he said, shifting a bit. "But first let me ask, what is your opinion on the matters of faith and the hereafter? How strong is your conviction that Engel is the savior of mankind?" he asked, pausing for a moment. 

"Forgive me Princess, I know that you came to me searching for an answer yourself but all I've done is ask you my own set of questions," he said with a tinge of regret. "This I hope, shall be the last," he affirmed. 

A question on Engel, now? What was this chain of questions he was bringing on, now? At least he was apologizing for it, but still... "Where I come from, Engel condemns my relationship. I assume you can tell my feelings for the church based on that? If not, then even before I became an item with Adele, I harbored no strong relation to Engel. The church was boring, the ministers were stuffy and stubborn, the teachings felt useless."

She shrugged, and shook her head. "I can't say I'm openly against it, as something someone should follow... But I can't see myself ever following something so blindly. It would be foolish, really... Was there more? I don't mind answering all these questions, if they're leading somewhere."

"No, that's all for now," he chuckled, shaking his head. "Sir Emmet mentioned that I had died, or come something close enough to it, yes? And he felt so strongly about this subject, that even as he faced death, he would not let go of the issue..." he mused. Cassandra had been right about Emmet in at least some regard. His frigid honesty had led to his demise, after all. "The man was perceptive, if nothing short of a fool. It's a wonder to me that you were the first to question me," he said tapping his fingers on the ground. 

"On the battlefield that day, I was taken by surprise and struck by magic--I was born lacking in natural resistance and I never could be bothered practicing measures for counter-magic either," he laughed, more-so at his own stubbornness than anything else. "But I'll tell you this much," he began, "When I fell--it wasn't Engel that I saw as death crept near. It was Malapahar..." he said quietly.

He felt content with his revelation. By all definitions, he wasn't lying to the Princess. He was just withholding some choice information.

He had briefly debated the merits of telling her the truth, but he came up lacking. First would be getting her to believe him. And second, even if he did, it could jeopardize Prince Owen's image of himself, and by extension, the crown. He didn't feel any sort of natural kinship to the land, but he intended to perform his duty to the best of his ability. Hastiness was Emmet's demise. He wouldn't make a blunder here, not so heedlessly. 

"It might be hard to believe, and quite frankly I wasn't sure if it was just death's tricks or not, but..." but it felt too real for something like that. "That is the only answer I can give to you," he said. "It is possible that in the moment that Emmet examined me, my soul had been drawn to Malaphar's world for the briefest of moments. I was not there long, but I saw him. Him and his world. For what purpose though, I cannot say," he admitted.

"I understand that you might have your doubt, and even still be wondering why I had not shared this earlier. Personally, I would have preferred to share such details with Queen Ethel first, but to quell your search for an answer, I have told you now." 

"Is it a wonder? Is anyone else in our company as close to you? Even if we are barely friends, I can't say I've seen you talking with anyone else. Perhaps I am just not all knowing of the group's conversations; evidently enough, as I had no clue of all the talks pertaining of Malaphar and his world... Still." Was it truly so odd? Maybe she was simply too curious a soul.

"A mage without resistance, is it? Come now, even I've got enough in me to take a spell or two... And you say you were felled by a surprise casting? Alain, really..." It was a bit silly to hear, perhaps his only skills laid in producing the content. That feels like something one would take care to patch up. You can't beat every opponent in one stroke, and if your defenses aren't strong enough, you'll be ruined. Maybe he can speak with Claire about more than just Emily's body.

Still, his revelation brought a small smile to Cass' face, which quickly developed into a chuckle. "Malaphar? Really? ...Alain, I know I should try to believe you, but... That feels a bit ridiculous. Perhaps you were just having some odd vision, halfway to death?" He seemed very insistent that this was the truth. It felt perhaps a bit condescending, having just explained everything of Malaphar, but she had no reason to doubt his word...

"Did he say anything?" she asked, suddenly. "Someone such as Malaphar... If someone were to appear in this world of his, so suddenly, I feel that with his ego, he would've reacted in some way." She was pleased, nearly privileged, to hear something that had been for the Queen's ears, but she had to press the envelope, just a bit.

Cassandra had every right to be concerned for his well-being, but he waved away her worries, deflecting her unspoken criticisms. "To be fair, I was injured prior without anyone having attended to me," he smirked, raising his brow. 

"And yes, it was a situation quite absurd to me as well. Though, all things tend to hold some manner of absurdity when when life begins to slip away. I don't blame you if you find it... difficult to believe, but that's the only answer I have for you," he restated. Her question about whether Malaphar had said anything was interesting, but of course it was the natural followup. After a moment's delay, he finally considered his answer. 

"He hesitated for a moment, sitting atop his throne. And then he simply laughed." 

That seemed so... So little, for someone like Malaphar. Then again, she knew little about him, even if he seemed to know plenty of her family. "But why would he laugh?" she asked, not expecting an answer. A sigh fell out of her, and she shrugged it off. "Ah, well... I can't expect you to know that. I suppose all curiosities will not be explained... Still, for you to come that close to death, I can't help but chide you to take better care of yourself. Whether or not our engagements remain after you're finished bringing our group to Raewald or not, these, counter magics. Whether they are trifle to you, you would do well to learn them!"

She ended her stern scolding with a smile, tilting her head a bit. "Thank you for indulging me, Alain. I hope the queen finds your stories as interesting as I have. Feel free to ask me if you have your own curiosities, hmm? I can't imagine you're so satisfied with everything as to have none. Perhaps I can shed light on things unknown. I doubt it, but you never know~"

"Comically, my initial concerns for this task were of a more inconsequential kind. Would the King find my manner of speaking pleasant? Would I be able to convey my Queen's wishes adequately? Had I practiced all of my formalities? Would I prove myself to my peers?" he listed.

"As it turns out I was being more naive than I might have imagined. But I'll work to better myself henceforth so as to not cause my friend needless worry," he chuckled. A princess expressing concern for him, he never could get quite use to such occurrences. How things have changed. 

"In any case I'm glad I could be of service, and perhaps we can speak again once business with her Majesty has been attended to. Will that be all then?" he asked, satisfied with how the conversation had gone.

"You've no reason for concern if you can speak to her as cordially as me. That will be all, Alain... But make sure to take care of yourself, alright?" Cass prodded at him once more with her worries, before picking herself up and taking a quick breath. "Well! I should get back to my own quarters. Thank you once again~" She headed out, and off, without a curiosity left.

No Justeace

"Cow milk's fine, thanks," Alain replied, turning down the more...exquisite milks. He had to admit though, he was surprised at the wide variety the mangy shop had to offer. That being said, he also wouldn't be surprised to find out if it was all the same stuff just under a different label.

Hearing about the shop owner's 'last lady' put him in an odd sort of mode. But he had to remind himself, that in this area stuff like this was a more common occurrence than in the more amicable parts of society. He wasn't here to act as an arbiter of justice. He was just here to sate his whims, and for a bit of tea. "Aye, cryin' shame that is. Hope you find another lass without a fancy for ass. It's always the good men with the rotten luck isn't it?" he smirked.

"But I don't know, maybe" he lied. Perhaps King Olaf wouldn't mind a foreign gift, hmm? It was an amusing thought, but not one worth entertaining much thereafter. "For now, I'm just here to taste the goods, hope you don't mind," he admitted. He'd only just got back to Raewald--he didn't want to spend his first moments trying to pick out political enemies and debating whether silencing them would be worth it. "How'd you get into the business anyway," he asked, finding himself slightly more curious about Raewald's underworld and it's inhabitants.  

Serge saw them all walk off, and decided it was time for him to see what was what at the Heroes' Guild. He would have to rely on the fact that he was working under wykian nobility and the promise of pay to get anyone interested in joining. At this point he had no clue where either Owen or Adele was, only that he needed one of them to deliver pay. And not only was he needing money to recruit new people, but by now it had been 24 days since he became the leader. He needed to pay them, they were expecting it by now. But, Owen had said he would be paying for replacements. Did that mean he wasn't getting any more for the rest of his crew? Things were not looking up... But he had to keep moving forward. He arrived at the doors of the Heroes' Guild, and, with a deep breath, opened them and stepped inside. Time to get some new recruits, then.

The Guild was a large hall, with many tables about, a desk in the middle, with people sitting at them and a large amount of boards with posted notes all over them, and a bar to the side, of which Serge made a mental note to check out later. It had been a good week since he had a proper drink, and what better place than a guild hall made for mercs. He looked around to all the people. There were many that caught his eye; a robed man with a turban, a scruffy looking female with green hair, a large, bald fellow in even larger armor. All of them looked like people that could handle themselves in a fight. There was one in particular, however, that caught his interest. A dark-blue haired woman, looking to be around the same age as Serge himself, carrying a sword and wearing a tunic. It was the way that she carried herself that interested Serge. And, she was alone, with no one bothering her. A prime opportunity to speak with her if there ever was one, though he couldn't help but feel like this would be a difficult egg to crack. Slowly and nonchalantly, he walked over to her. "Excuse me," he began, "But are you busy with anything?"

Claire understood why the librarian might think that the man was crazy, but considering what she'd known of Malaphar's world, she wasn't so sure herself. Has he been there as well? Finding the priest to speak with him was quickly climbing her priority list. "I'll pay." she nodded, parting with the gold without a second thought. She considered just leaving the turnip book where it was, but she took it with her just in case. Maybe it would make a nice paperweight? She honestly had no idea what she'd do with it.

Hearing that the 'other girl' had never come back was a little strange, but it was just a coincidence. "Would they really let me visit him there?" she wondered aloud. It couldn't hurt to ask, she supposed, but she'd need to find someone to go with her to the asylum, by the sounds of things. Angus, perhaps? Maybe he would be more comfortable among his kind. If Ceirch wasn't still injured, she would ask him, but... that clearly wasn't an option. There was always Esclabor, but she wasn't sure that she wanted him.

Okay, scratch that. Claire was pretty sure that she didn't if she could avoid it. "Thank you for your help." She scooped up her new purchases and quickly left the building, pausing for a second to contemplate. Where should I go to look, then? She honestly didn't know. She'd made her way here all on her own, and now she was clueless towards the location of... literally everyone else in the party. But the market was probably a good place to start, she figured. 

It turned out that her assumption had been pretty good - it wasn't long before the mage spotted a familliar face. Well, kind of. She'd never really spoken to Freya, but the soldier was probably fitting enough for the role, wasn't she? "Hi there, Freya." she greeted, walking over to her. "Would you mind helping me with something?" Hopefully she wasn't busy, but there was always a chance she could find someone else.

The week to Raewald's capital came with no more interruptions- a welcome (but somewhat surprising) break from the hectic battles before. While even Tytila could not be perfectly safe, at the very least there were plenty of Raewalden guards that would be equally ready in case of attack- enough that Freya let her guard down. After all, visiting somewhere so far was a rare occasion, and to spend the whole time worrying for what was likely to be nothing would be a waste of time.

Still, the first thing on her mind was that of duty. Ranged weapons... somehow, we have no javelins. And if those pesky archers come after me again, I'd rather not have to rush them down one by one. I'll have to find something and ask for funding- surely the prince and princess will understand. She headed to the market first off, noting a few locations that seemed like they would have something for her, before being waved down by Claire. "Good day, Lady Claire. I can help with what you need- I'm not very busy. I was just looking for a particular weapon, but I would need to ask for proper funding before making a purchase anyway. What is it you need?"

"Oh, no I-I'm... Ahhh, haha." How awkward. Cass hadn't been expecting to be recognized by any store owners. Perhaps simply because this was a place for the rich nobility had she been noticed, or maybe their arrival was spreading already? The soft orchid that her hair consisted of was only seen in Wykian royalty, so that could've been just as telling. Perhaps a disguise would've been better for me... I'm not upset about this, it was simply too soon. Ah, well... Nothing to be done of it now.

"Caught me," she started. "Princess Cassandra Meredith Gaffney of Wyke. A pleasure to meet you, sir...?" She would wait for him to supply his own name, though perhaps he shared the store's title with his own. "Gold, hmm? Well, that won't match h--" Cass had to stop herself, remembering where she was. As comfortable as she had gotten, these people were still not as accepting as she'd wished; Alain had told her so.

"His attire. This is going to be a very specific request, but I would prefer two rings of silver, fitted with rubies, or perhaps red tinted diamonds; whichever you would find easier to accomplish. And... Well, this will be odd too, but, both rings must be made to match the size of my fingers." She held out her tough, worn, but still daintily sized hand for measuring. 

"You see, my suitor he... It's quite embarrassing for him, but his hands are just as small as mine are. It wouldn't do to have his ring slip off during the ceremony simply because it was set for your average man, right? So, those are my requests, if you can at all find them reasonable. And yes, a down payment. We did not come here with much, and while two thousand is well within my reach, perhaps silver will lower the cost?" She could hope. Not spending all of their gold on this would make her feel fairly good about the purchase.

Angus immediately shies away from Morta, studying the pavement intensely. That half-assed denial from Nelon meant only two things: that Angus had spilled at least some of the beans... and that he should buy some extra diapers. Almost inaudibly, the mooncalf offers Morta a paltry response.

"Wish I could tell you." Angus' head stayed bowed, to the dismay of any passersby. "I must've said a thing or two, but... might've jus' mentioned Cass, 'r Nona." He could only hope. Angus looks up, directing his head to the market stalls this time. Why were there so many people around? This would be hard enough to explain without mincing words, but Angus had to try. He raised his voice just enough for Nelon to hear, still subdued and still anxious. "So, er, I wrote you 'bout my... sudden arrangement. We're not followin' through, so there's no risk t'me tellin' you two. That was... not like it looked, even t'begin with." Angus hugged the bear a bit tighter, burying half his face in its fur. His skin crawled, but the truth bitterly needed telling. "There's at least one bigwig back home that don't take to kindly to th'Princess'... choices. Human shield sorta thing, keep 'im off her back 'til Owen found th'rat bastard. Cass, uh... couldn' follow through, but if I blabbed 'fore that, it might've blown the top off the whole thing." Angus finally ground to a halt. His gaze rose skyward, now--anywhere but at the girl.

"I figured bringin' you an' your sisters along would be nice, you know? Some token polly loggy for crashin' through like I did." [You haven't mentioned what you did! Good job so far! Don't louse this up any worse, Kearney!] "It needs sayin', though. I don't even know how I'd go back an' make things right, 'sides stayin' far away. Still... I was a right cad, an' didn't do half so well by you as I should've. You've got every business bein' angry with me." Angus closes his eyes for a deep breath, and in a moment, there she was. Face to face. Could all girls stare into your soul like that, or did Angus just have a type?

"I'm sorry. I won' be a bother to you an' yours any longer, I swear it." That's it--that brief resolution was too much. Angus turns in place, one last word left for Nelon before Morta tore him a redundant arse. "And uh... if I let anythin' slip that night... well, you're one hell of a gentleman, Nelon." Left unspoken: [She deserves a man more like you than me.]

Edited by Terrador

"Hmm, that does sound right. Traitors in the midst to be dealt with... and trouble with war on the other side." Sidney mulled over all the people she'd met in Hull, but she didn't really know enough about anyone to make strong judgements. "That's certainly true that the ways of Wyke were never easily known. I barely remember ever hearing about it when I was younger other than that it was a smaller island country. To actually be there showed much of its intricacies. Duke Herman's daughter is one of the people accompanying the Prince as well. I was surprised to learn how much of Wykian nobility is trained in axe fighting."

"Who to trust and to have the proper support... well, I don't think there any traitors amongst the group that travels with Owen. Though, we did just oust one. Now that I say it aloud, I'm not as sure... But it's true that I don't think he can do it alone. That's a difficult burden, and fortunately one he can share. How much do you speak with Queen Ethel, father? Less than his majesty before, I'm sure, but that's only to be expected. I don't remember the Queen being quite as friendly, but maybe I'm mistaken."

Stirring up trouble

The tea store owner was almost disappointed by Alain's choice, lifting a small bucket from below the desk. "Nobody ever seems to want the badger milk, got lots of it too." he remarked, pouring a little into Alain's tea cup. Bringing it over to Alain, he smirked at the diplomat's comments. "You know it, brother. You see it like it is, if there's someone you need a delivery for, let me know. I've been doing this for years, work for gutter folk like me ain't easy to come by."

Placing the cup next to Alain, the store owner gave another short laugh. "You sort of go where your talents take you. If I ain't deliverin' tea, I'm removin' teeth. I'm... a dentist." he added, tapping his fingers against the table. "Except there ain't no charge for the customer."

-

To the point

The guild hall was far larger than Hull's own, there were likely enough fighters present to make a small army, let alone man a few mercenary groups. The building was solidly built, and modestly decorated, carrying a valiant sort of charm with it. He was almost spoiled for choice, the sheer variety of fighters, of all shapes and sizes, was extraordinary. As Serge approached the woman, she was very quick to cut him off as he introduced himself.

"Sixteen hundred pieces and not a single one less." she replied abruptly, raising her hand to him. Her gaze was cool and distant, like a bird of prey analysing its target below. "Terms and conditions must be prearranged, and my employment rights and payment schedule need to be discussed."

-

Bargain Hunter

The jewellery store owner grinned, his eyebrows moving up and down as Cass was lost for words. "Please, call me Aurus, all the important people I know do." Aurus replied, listening intently to Cass' request. At first he appeared a little puzzled, but it appeared his love for money was more than enough to ignore the unusual details she'd specified.

"Ah, yes! Of course, Princess Cassandra! Your taste and style is in a league of its own." he marvelled, hurrying over to a second display case. "No matter the size, the quality of my wares is second to none! We have the finest Myrcian silver, the most refined and untainted in the entire continent. I would be more than happy to offer the same deal as I would for the golden ones... ordinarily they would be two thousand gold more expensive, but you are not a customer I can ignore. In fact, I can even lower the deposit to one and a half thousand! One cannot say that I, Aurus, am a man who tries to cheat royalty!"

-

Diplomacy

Morta clenched her teeth, readying a fist to punch Angus. It was the same fury he'd seen at the harpsichord recital, all hell looked ready to let loose. "It isn't a game that you play when you feel like it, Angus." she hissed, doing all she could to hold back her rage. "The Princess told me all about the stupid plan, you're the worst. You can't play around with us like that, we're not just toys that you can come back to when it suits you! You're just as bad as daddy!"

Storming off, Morta disappeared into the crowd, fuming as she cursed about Angus under her breath. Nelon had remained silent for the entire conversation, although he had been placed a few feet behind the pair. Waiting patiently as she stormed off, Nelon approached Angus, putting his hand on the young baron's shoulder.

"No, you need not apologise to me. Your intentions were to keep the ones you cared for safe." Nelon replied, shaking his head. "You may have said things that perhaps were best not to... but it is not always easy to speak the right words to everyone on every occasion."

-

Metamorphosis

Anthony sat back in his chair, trying to take in everything that Sidney had said. "I hope that Prince Owen will ally his country with our own, it would bring great good to both nations to enter a formal alliance... hopefully it would allow Wyke to clean itself of its internal corruption." he replied, almost impressed by how much attention his daughter had paid to the political climate.

"It is not often I speak with her Majesty, previously she had always been a timid woman, in the shadow of King Edwin... but since his death, she became far more forthcoming, making decisions of her own." he added, pondering the queen's remarkable change. "I wouldn't say she were not generous beforehand... but I had never seen such hospitality whilst her husband lived."

"Glad to hear it." Claire smiled. Perhaps this whole affair would run much more smoothly than she'd thought. "It might sound a little strange, but I need to visit someone in the city asylum. If he hasn't completely lost it, we might be able to get some useful information out of him." That was the theory, anyway. Maybe he was just a nutjob, but she felt like it was still worth looking into. "I was told that I'd be better off bringing someone stronger with me. You're up to the task, I'd imagine." Claire couldn't see a reason why she wouldn't be, and she'd already agreed to come along so... it seemed settled. "Ready to go?"

"Aurus, sir... You're being far, far too generous." Cass couldn't hide her smile, nor did she want to! This man was going out of his way to help her specific requests, and charging her far less than she'd expected. It was... Well, it was partly the same treatment she was used to back in the castle. It had just been so long since she'd been given it that she'd forgotten what it felt like. Perhaps being coddled and praised for being the princess, every once in a while, wasn't a bad thing? It certainly felt good right now. "Sir Aurus, I must ask, though... You seemed to recognize me right away."

She'd convinced herself that her appearance would be easy enough to tell for someone used to seeing nobles and royalty, but she hadn't exactly been in the public eye for a long time. Even if her hair was signature, there were certainly people that existed with hair either close enough, or who could apply a dye. So, the question posed itself, really. "Has there been some announcement of our arrival? Mine and my brother's, that is. I would expect someone of such exquisite taste to be able to spot me, someone like yourself, but... It's making me curious. Is everyone of prestige that I meet today going to recognize me?" It wouldn't be a bad thing... Necessarily. Hopefully it was just Aurus, and his keen eye.

"If not, and you're simply a wondrous appraiser, then I shall take your offer and leave you with the gold. How long shall it take to get them ready? The wedding won't be happening today, but it would be good to know... And my apologies, for all of these questions. I'm certainly piling on plenty for you."

Edited by Nanami Touko

Serge held his hands up as the woman held up her own. "Straight to the point...Okay." Already, this was seeming like not the best option. At least, not in terms of personality. She seemed to have a high opinion of herself, or she was very focused on money, both of which could spell trouble for the guild. Indeed, while she may have superb ability, this was definitely not the type of person that Serge looked for in a member of the Hearthfire Crew, and not one that could change their tune easily. "Sixteen-hundred. Right. I don't have that much with me now, I was simply scouting prices. I'll...get back to you on that, then." If I end up choosing you, that is.

Serge backed off, turning to look around, once more. There were still plenty of others around that he could hire, but each with their own prices. He wondered if there would be a limit to how much Owen would pay for replacements. Maybe he should have asked that of him before wandering in. OK...Who else, then? He spotted the scruffy looking girl, once again, this time noticing her green hair and a tool belt around her waist. She might be handy to keep around. Slowly walking up to her, Serge attempted to get her attention. "Excuse me, but could I speak with you for a minute?" He hoped this one would be friendlier than the blue haired woman.

"An alliance... that does seem smart. And if Wykian corruption is responsible for the invasion by Deira, as Owen suspects, then perhaps it's possible to avert further conflict. But I also doubt Deira would take too kindly to an alliance. Well, those sorts of complications are why the situation is a difficult one," The details of the queen's attitude was something Sidney found encouraging Maybe she'll be somewhat more forgiving, then? She half wanted to say her hopes aloud, but she knew that her father would scold her for it. "I don't really remember meeting her much. Mostly a few times when I was younger, and that was always with the King, too. Very interesting... I wonder if I'll see her while I'm here. That's probably up to Owen, if he were to want me to be in a meeting with her."

Sidney stood up for a bit, pacing around and looking more at the main room. The bright red carpeting and walls had always made it stand out, as did the indoor fountain and many paintings on the upper level. It was a different sort of flashy compared to the displays of gold present in the homes of other Raewalden families, but the Montana residence was certainly considered to be an impressive one nonetheless. "The outdoor fountains are new, aren't they? Some of the paintings are added or moved- we never had so many. The garden out back is more lush too. I take it that means you've been doing well still?"

"Maybe I'll give it a go next time around," he said, not entirely sure there even would be a next time. Just because he didn't want to forget his old life, didn't mean he constantly wanted to relive it.  He held the cup up to his mouth, cooling the tea as best he could before taking his first sip.

He tried not to think too much about how the cup had been cleaned.

"It's got a nice ah, flavor to it..." he remarked, spending a few idle moments thinking about his plans for the rest of the day. At some point he presumed he would have an audience with the Queen. He needed to talk to Claire about Emily. And before that he needed to have a space set up for him at the college. Perhaps some food was in order as well.     

"A dentist, a shop-owner, a tea-maker, and a deliverer, huh?" he mused. This man had built himself quite the resume. "I'll be sure to stop by if any of my friends need a gift, but for now, I suppose I must be off," he said finish up as much of the tea as he could muster. He bid the owner a good-day and left the appropriate amount of coin next to his cup and walked out, feeling slightly reinvigorated. It's a wonder how I used to be able to live like this... worse even. Then again, he'd faced his fair share of trials even as a noble--it would be a lie to say his life was now strictly easier in every aspect. 

Next Stop: The Cursing Horseman

Powerful Purchase

"Heavens no, Princess. I was very much surprised to see yourself in my humble establishment." Aurus replied, pulling a notepad from his jacket and scribbling down on it furiously with a quill. "It would be poor form not recognise nobility and royalty in my line of work... I've ensured that I am as familiar with the continent's nobility to ensure that they receive the respect they so duely deserve. I had even caught word of the appointment of Baron Kearney and Lord Dougistan... although war makes it difficult to keep entirely up to date with a nation's happenings. I will personally see that your request is complete within the week. It would be poor form to keep royalty waiting!

Cass makes an initial payment of 1500G!

Lookabout

The woman didn't appear too concerned by Serge's apprehension. Either she hadn't noticed or simply didn't care. "Don't hurry yourself, I'm in no rush." she replied, letting Serge abandon his attempts to hire her.

Leaving his first candidate behind, the next young girl appeared to be complaining to one of the other mercenaries, a burly man with a scar across his face. "And then the crank broke! You just can't get reliable parts around here! Can you believe-... oh?" she paused, surprised by Serge's interjection. Giving the other man a polite wave, she turned to face Serge, gathering her bearings for a moment or two. "You look like the hiring sort, or you really need to work on your pick up lines!" she replied, straightening her belt. "I'm Vesta, I'm somewhere between a mechanic and an archer, although I much prefer tinking to getting stabbed. If you're looking for something unique, my ballista will let me get enemies before they can even respond! Problem is... it's kinda busted right now, so if you want to hire me, I'm afraid I'd have to include some funds for repairs. Two grand is a little steep, but you'd have full access to siege weaponry!

Rugs and Shrugs

Anthony laughed, placing his pipe down on the table. "We'll have to see how Prince Owen feels about bringing an escaped criminal along to meet the queen. Perhaps her change in attitude will allow her to overlook your mischief... unless she feels you deserve a little extra time to consider your behavior." he joked. "If you do happen to attend, I believe there should be fresh reports due about the situation in Wyke. I also fear for Myrcia, their army is far less capable of holding back Deira."

Looking over at the wall, Anthony couldn't help but agree with his daughter. "They've been there a couple of months, I was looking to add character to the garden, although it took a short while to convince your mother." he replied. "The economy has been doing well here, and with one fewer mouth to feed at home, there was room to spend a little."

Salutations

Leaving the teashop behind, Alain was treated to the ever so familiar streets of Tytila. Going down the back alleys, it was a likely reminder of his previous life. The homeless littered the streets, their lifeless bodies slumped against the walls. As he approached the Cursing Horseman, he could see a particularly depressing gathering of drunkards passed out around the door. A large burly doorman was the only obstacle to his entrance, and knowing from his experience at the Codger, getting it often took some work.

"You there, turdburgler." he barked, standing with his arms crossed. "You think a wimpy little weasel in a skirt like you can get into a place like this? What do you think?"

"Heh... Well, I appreciate being recognized, all the same. Hopefully it's just by you. We haven't stopped in to meet with the queen, yet." Cass was fine with the payment, and paying the rest back once the kingdom was settled would likely be a non-issue. Besides, she'd have to get rings one way or another, and making them special like this would mean they were worth more in the end~

"Thank you for your services, Aurus! If I've any friends in need of such respect and fine jewelry, I shall direct them your way in an instant. I can't wait to see the rings~ Farewell, for now." Cass offered him her most professional curtsy, turning to leave with a renewed pep in her step.

But really, what to do now? She'd managed to sort out her ring situation... Oh, of course. You fool! Dresses... But... Would Adele want to wear a dress? Hmm... Considering how... Masculine was a good enough word. With how masculine Adele was, would she want a wedding dress, or a form of suit? Cass definitely wanted a dress, but... "Perhaps I should wait on that until I see if there's even a way to be married here. I'm definitely getting ahead of myself with just the rings, even if I could bring them back to Wyke. Ahhh, goodness..." She'd nearly defeated her own good mood in an instant, but spotting a familiar face through the crowd kept it in tact.

"Claire? Oh, how wonderful! Out for some shopping, are we?" Cass approached her magically inclined friend, spotting Freya speaking with her. She only nodded to her; she didn't have the best rapport with her guard. "I hadn't expected you to actually know how to be a girl, with your face so deep in your books. Shall we find you something nice to wear? Perhaps we can manage to trail Sidney to her house and then drag her along with us... Oh, but I don't know where Adele went, either. Hmmm... Ah, well, what do you think?"

After entering the building, Owen started to wonder whether the logic behind his pursuit had made sense at all. A fletcher was just one that made arrows, why would they be able to help out a swordsman's woes. "Ah... no, I haven't come here for a hunting bow this time." The mention did take him back down memory lane... short-lived as it was, there were other matters to look at now. Even if she couldn't help him with his problem, surely this lady could guide him in the right direction. All he needed was to press forward rather than hesitate on his every decision, right?

"You see, I'm at an impasse, and I'm not sure where to look for an answer." The prince started, feeling rather odd. That was more dramatic than he usually was, shaking his head, he digressed, being more forward about his request would get the point across just as well. "On the field, I'm a swordsman. I tend to be picked out by foes with bows rather easily because of that, with my inability to respond, even when they're not shooting from all that far. It frustrates me, so I wondered..." Continuing to check out the fletcher's wares and realizing that they, indeed, only dealt with bows, was starting to make Owen feel rather silly for coming there. "I wondered if there was an answer for the short term, that did not entail learning another weapon altogether." Owen sighed. At least some of the bows were pretty, maybe Sidney would take kindly to one, after his recent frigidness.

"Interesting. What sort of information are you looking to find out from someone in an asylum?" Freya asked Claire. "If that information isn't available right now, I'll understand, and of course I'll still go. But I am curious as to the plan on a personal level. Either way, whenever you need to go, I'm ready." She gestured towards the sword at her side and the spear across her shoulder, prepared to set off before the arrival of Cass. "Hello, Princess. I don't think the assistance Lady Claire was asking of me involved much shopping, but if she wishes, I could help her later instead. Are you enjoying the city so far?"

For some time Alain once again began to wander the sullied streets of Tytila's underbelly, passing by men, women, and children who reminded him all to much of who and what he used to be. And now I speak to Kings and Queens. That would never stop being a surreal thought to him.

Eventually, he managed to find The Cursing Horseman. Now it was just a matter of getting in. Simple enough. Or maybe not.   

Turd...burgler? Is he talking to me? Is that really what I look like? Really? Is that better or worse than being a droog? He sighed. It seemed every establishment of this breed had an equally mind-numbing doorman at the forefront. Actually, that was an incorrect observation. The man at the Codger spoke a wild language, but at least he was easy enough to talk through. This man seemed to be a completely different beast. Or perhaps this was supposed to be par for the course, and the Codger had been the foreign exception. Either way, it looked like he'd have to strong-arm his way through.  

Just like the old days.     

"...Listen closely piss for brains," he hissed, "what I think is that instead of making you look like those drunken shit-muffins on the floor, I'll let you keep your dignity for a bit and show you something interesting," he replied, bringing out Claire's Frost tome. He hadn't spent too much time with it, but he'd played around with it enough to be able to manage some theatrics. Within moments, visible wisps of chilled air began forming around his freehand, slowly deposing into a thin needle of ice, barely longer than his hand and no wider than his finger.

"Just don't get too close, you really don't want to see this in red," he cackled tossing the icicle to his side. 

As the ice shattered on the ground, the resulting shards erupted into a conglomerate of jagged spines nearly half the doorman's height, all stretched in his direction. Carefully, Alain broke off a piece and offered it to the man. "So..." he whispered, leaning in close. "Do you think a wimpy little weasel in a skirt like me can get into a shit hole like this? What do you think? Hmmm?

Edited by Vestige

"Well..." Claire wasn't quite sure how much Freya knew, which made responding to her question a little more difficult. She very much doubted that she would've been told anything personally, considering her status, but considering the mage was hardly a socialite herself it was possible that she could've missed something. It wouldn't really hurt to let her know though, would it?

That was what she was thinking at least, before a familiar pink haired princess called her name. "Oh uh, hi Cass." she responded, shifting slightly. The dream she'd had last night still made her feel a little uncomfortable around Cass, even if she knew that it didn't mean anything. "I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I've had my face buried in books since the moment we arrived here. At least something came from it, though." She allowed herself a small smile, proud that she'd managed to make progress so quickly.

"We were actually going to go and chase up a lead I found on Malaphar's magic, so the shopping might have to wait until later." Claire bit her lip, hesitant to invite Cass along. Beyond just feeling a little uncomfortable around her, she also doubted the princess would want to go anywhere near a lunatic asylum in the first place.