Assuming Echoes implies a series of re-releases, what do you want next?

Elieson

Select a Game for what you want to be the •Next• in the potential Echoes line  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Select a Game for what you want to be the •Next• in the potential Echoes line

• Dark Dragon and Sword of Light [1]
    • Mystery of the Emblem [3]
    • Genealogy of the Holy War [4]
    • Thracia 776 [5]
    • Binding Blade [6]
    • Blazing Sword [7]
    • Sacred Stones [8]
    • Path of Radiance [9]
    • Radiant Dawn [10]

While I have been a bit iffy about it, I would like a remake of FE 4. It would be kinda cool to see it remastered and it is the next in line after Gaiden really.

The reason why I am not entirely sure if a FE 4 remake is a  good idea is because of how different it is from other game. Like yeah Gaiden is one thing but Genealogy is on a whole different level! I restricted trade system, huge maps, the whole thing with the castles. If Gaiden does well FE 4 might have a chance but again, I am not too sure.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 19/01/2017 at 6:03 PM, Darros said:

I'll start by elaborating that this is a very personal opinion as FE4 is my favorite video game of all time. I don't think many (if any) people agree with me. A lot of the "clunkier" parts of FE4 are what made it so great. I feel like if they were to remake it they'd botch a lot of that by cutting up maps/giving everyone pursuit/adding an avatar character would really reduce the quality of the game. It could be good if they were going to be super faithful to the original but staying super faithful has already proven not to work for FE.

Updating the story I think would do it a major disservice. Support convos I can actually see as being a positive change actually but I think too much overhauling would just take away from the integrity of the game.

I feel somewhat the same way about Gaiden (though it's just my favourite FE, not my favourite game), which seems to be rolling out as a guinea pig, but I don't really mind because I didn't think they would even do so in the first place and I'm just interested to see how traditional it is.

Edited by Tryhard

I would love to see FE 4 and 5 next since I haven't played them and they seem really cool.  Of course I am open to any official western releases of Japan only FE games.  I can see the point people are making about 12 being translated and made as a digital only release but I have a hard time seeing it happening unless they started translating it and scraped the project which I don't think happened because we would have heard about it.

12 hours ago, Jotari said:

Subtracting defence from attack to determine damage. Maths is too hard, please remake.

Certainly not impossible, Nintendo only continues to surprise me without how much they've been rewarding Fire Emblem in recent years. But I'm still doubtful. To my knowledge all the games that have been localised via Virtual Console have either had very minimal text to begin with or already had a localisation that ended up being cancelled. How much do you think they'd charge for an old game after paying the localisation costs?

I actually thought on this for a while and I'd settle on an estimate of anywhere from $9.99 (the price they're charging for Shadow Dragon right now) all the way up to $19.99 (if they're ballsy enough and run an ad campaign). The middle ground for that is about $15, which back in the Wii Era was the price of an N64 game.

Edited by Hero of the Fire Emblems

Yeah, I also don't agree with the whole "The pre-GBA games are unplayable" sentiment. I can see it for FE1-3, just because those games move at such a slow pace and lack a lot of features that the GBA-onward games have, and people familiar with the series have come to expect, but 4 and (especially)5 feel like FE games. I'd go as far as to even say 5 is basically the template that they used for the series after the SNES.

4 has its quirks, some mechanics are odd, and it feels like a much grander war-like game, since the maps in that game are HUGE and it can take several hours to complete a map, but it has the basics you come to expect from FE. Your characters level up, everyone can promote into stronger classes, you can support and even have children, the weapon triangle is there, the classes work like how you expect, etc.

5 meanwhile, while it has a few mechanics slapped on, like fatigue and capturing(Which made a semi-return in Fates), it plays and looks like any of the GBA games. You can pick it up, see a bandit class, and know EXACTLY how it will play out in combat. You can see a berserker or a swordmaster and think "Oh hey, that guy probably has a high crit rate(Wrath skill) and so and so stats!." It also has my favorite method of RNG-proofing your characters when leveling that they watered down and reused for Path of Radiance.

Aside from aesthetics, there's really nothing in 4 or 5 that makes me go "Oh, this is completely unplayable!" I can understand if you don't have the time to put into playing through FE4, or you don't have the temperament to get through 5, but the games aren't unplayable by any means. They have weird quirks, but every FE game has weird quirks.

That said, I still want remakes.

Edited by Slumber

On 1/19/2017 at 11:22 AM, Anacybele said:

FE4 and 5, they seem really good and Sigurd seems awesome. I just wish he didn't die the way he does. :( That's just horrible. I mean, there should be some deaths in every war story, but this one just seems like it'd make you cry due to how cruel it appears to be.

That's exactly WHY it works. You'll have to see how it all happens though.

1 minute ago, NoNameAtAll said:

That's exactly WHY it works. You'll have to see how it all happens though.

The thing is, a story death has yet to make me cry. I might feel sad and be like "whoa..." and such, but I've never cried. Maybe I should've specified this though, my bad. xP

Edited by Anacybele

4 hours ago, Slumber said:

Yeah, I also don't agree with the whole "The pre-GBA games are unplayable" sentiment. I can see it for FE1-3, just because those games move at such a slow pace and lack a lot of features that the GBA-onward games have, and people familiar with the series have come to expect, but 4 and (especially)5 feel like FE games. I'd go as far as to even say 5 is basically the template that they used for the series after the SNES.

4 has its quirks, some mechanics are odd, and it feels like a much grander war-like game, since the maps in that game are HUGE and it can take several hours to complete a map, but it has the basics you come to expect from FE. Your characters level up, everyone can promote into stronger classes, you can support and even have children, the weapon triangle is there, the classes work like how you expect, etc.

5 meanwhile, while it has a few mechanics slapped on, like fatigue and capturing(Which made a semi-return in Fates), it plays and looks like any of the GBA games. You can pick it up, see a bandit class, and know EXACTLY how it will play out in combat. You can see a berserker or a swordmaster and think "Oh hey, that guy probably has a high crit rate(Wrath skill) and so and so stats!." It also has my favorite method of RNG-proofing your characters when leveling that they watered down and reused for Path of Radiance.

Aside from aesthetics, there's really nothing in 4 or 5 that makes me go "Oh, this is completely unplayable!" I can understand if you don't have the time to put into playing through FE4, or you don't have the temperament to get through 5, but the games aren't unplayable by any means. They have weird quirks, but every FE game has weird quirks.

That said, I still want remakes.

I can't speak for FE5, since I wanted to play FE4 before 5, but speaking for myself and a lot of other people who've also posted here, FE4 is pretty scary to a newcomer just by how different it is, with the no trading a lack of other menu niceties common in the GBA era onwards.

8 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I can't speak for FE5, since I wanted to play FE4 before 5, but speaking for myself and a lot of other people who've also posted here, FE4 is pretty scary to a newcomer just by how different it is, with the no trading a lack of other menu niceties common in the GBA era onwards.

The lack of trading is a sign of its age, but by and large, different=/=unplayable or outdated. There are a handful of things that you have to get used to, but most of that is linked to castles/bases, and you will probably get used to these differences pretty quickly once you've played the prologue or hopefully by chapter 1 proper.

If people are booting up FE4, seeing those(Admittedly probably pretty jarring) differences and saying "I can't do this, this is unplayable!", I think they're psyching themselves out before genuinely trying to get used to the mechanics. FE4 isn't that intimidating of a game once you get those differences down, and it's a thoroughly enjoyable FE game.

Edited by Slumber

2 minutes ago, Slumber said:

The lack of trading is a sign of its age, but by and large, different=/=unplayable or outdated. There are a handful of things that you have to get used to, but most of that is linked to castles/bases, and you will probably get used to these differences pretty quickly once you've played the prologue or hopefully by chapter 1 proper.

If people are booting up FE4, seeing those(Admittedly probably pretty jarring) differences and saying "I can't do this, this is unplayable!", I think they're psyching themselves out before genuinely trying to get used to the mechanics. FE4 isn't that intimidating of a game once you get those differences down, and it's a thoroughly enjoyable FE game.

But that's the things, there are tons of people who try to play FE4, but just can't.  I'm one example; I really tried to play FE4 and get into it, on two occasions.  I'm not alone on this, and a remake could do a lot to make it more user-friendly.

2 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

But that's the things, there are tons of people who try to play FE4, but just can't.  I'm one example; I really tried to play FE4 and get into it, on two occasions.  I'm not alone on this, and a remake could do a lot to make it more user-friendly.

I don't necessarily disagree. I'm just saying that the people saying that FE4 needs a remake because it's completely unplayable are overreacting.

9 minutes ago, Slumber said:

I don't necessarily disagree. I'm just saying that the people saying that FE4 needs a remake because it's completely unplayable are overreacting.

Completely unplayable may be an overstatement for some, but it's the least playable game that doesn't already have a remake or have one in development, so it would be a better place to start than jumping to Elibe or Tellius just yet.

Just now, Rezzy said:

Completely unplayable may be an overstatement for some, but it's the least playable game that doesn't already have a remake or have one in development, so it would be a better place to start than jumping to Elibe or Tellius just yet.

I think I can agree with that. I have a lot of fond memories of FE4, and my love of 5 makes me want to see it again with a new coat of paint. Even intimidating/awkward game mechanics aside, there was supposed to be a lot more in regards to tying FE4 and FE5 together, but a lot of it got scrapped during 5's development. So even as somebody who has no real issue with how 4 plays, it'd be nice to see 4 and 5 woven together more cohesively in a remake, and I would want other people to appreciate that as much as I would.

3 minutes ago, Slumber said:

I think I can agree with that. I have a lot of fond memories of FE4, and my love of 5 makes me want to see it again with a new coat of paint. Even intimidating/awkward game mechanics aside, there was supposed to be a lot more in regards to tying FE4 and FE5 together, but a lot of it got scrapped during 5's development. So even as somebody who has no real issue with how 4 plays, it'd be nice to see 4 and 5 woven together more cohesively in a remake, and I would want other people to appreciate that as much as I would.

Why don't Faval, Ishtar and the Mage Sisters appear in Chapter 21? T.T

FE4 is by no means unplayable, but it has lots of terrible design choices that simply wouldn't work on today's standards. Not just FE, but SRPGs in general.

I legitimately think that if FE4 were to be remade, it would benefit from being streamlined into the more current FE style.

3 hours ago, Jave said:

FE4 is by no means unplayable, but it has lots of terrible design choices that simply wouldn't work on today's standards. Not just FE, but SRPGs in general.

I legitimately think that if FE4 were to be remade, it would benefit from being streamlined into the more current FE style.

That's what I meant by my earlier posts. "Unplayable" is always an exaggeration. It was always "playable" but whether or not it's a fun experience by modern standards is up to debate.

Trading in FE4 is not a sign of its age or even hard to understand :\ If you're familiar with FE then you'll quickly learn when you sally up beside someone you can't trade with them. When Chapter 1 starts and everyone is inside a castle, you see a pawn shop and should easily be able to put 2 and 2 together and learn that you have to buy and sell items to trade them between people, and also that everyone has their own individual money counts so managing that money is an important part of the game's strategy for keeping people well equipped without squandering your cash on hand.

Now what WOULD be an improvement is something like Dew being able to choose the amount of gold you can trade to allied units so he isn't just dumping thousands of cash on people when they only needed a little bit of pocket change. If FE4 is to be remade it should improve on the shortcomings of its ideas, not replace those ideas entirely. Managing items and therefore also inheritence is a big deal in FE4, it is by design not meant to be something done lightly.

10 hours ago, Rezzy said:

This is why a FE4 remake will ruin the game, they'll change the system, cut off the maps into playable pieces for you.

In the end, it's not a remastered game anymore, it is a new game disguise as FE4.

Edited by hanhnn

16 minutes ago, hanhnn said:

This is why a FE4 remake will ruin the game, they'll change the system, cut off the maps into playable pieces for you.

In the end, it's not a remastered game anymore, it is a new game disguise as FE4.

They could always have an "original mode" that plays EXACTLY like the original (hence the name) and, optionally, you could select a "newcomer mode" that has everything fates and awakening had. I think that if they both existed as options you could choose at the start of a play through, that very little of the fanbase would complain. They could even throw in a copy of a localized version of 4 and 5 within the remake to p[lease the absolute die hards. It's a win win imo.

New Jugdral game would be sweet even if it is essentially the Star Fox treatment of adapting the same conflict for every title endlessly. In fact I'd find it rather interesting to see about how they'd split up the chapters, especially if they tried to shove Thracia into the same game. Don't get me wrong, a straight up faithful remake would be gorgeous but an experimental version of it could be very enjoyable too. I just want to see Jugdral get some lovin.

Release a localized FE12.

If FE 1-3 get remakes, the next logical one to do would be FE4. Genealogy would be the big release, and Thracia could be a DLC second campaign or something. They can reuse the whole waifus/children thing that helped get Awakening on people's radars.

I see the concern over them making FE4 more playable, but if I could contest, IS seems very dedicated to keeping in the unique Gaiden features for Echoes Valentia. Maybe they would be the same for FE4.

FE4 would be hard to localize with its plot filled with strong themes that triggers the children's parents.

Edited by Troykv

11 minutes ago, Troykv said:

FE4 would be hard to localize with its plot filled with strong themes that triggers the children's parents.

Erika and Ephraim were two seconds away from screwing each other when the credits rolled for Sacred Stones, and Awakening/Fates are chock full of child marriage and people doing their nieces and nephews.

FE4 will be fine with all of the half-sibling boning. I imagine they'd tone down the rape implications with underage characters like Leen, and the child prostitution details with Sylvia and Lara from FE5. Also the Dew/Lachesis supports would have to be toned down, but that would likely happen even if Dew wasn't a young teenager.