Should I play Gaiden before Echoes or vice versa?

Rend Keaven

Gaiden or Echoes?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best one to play first?

• Play Gaiden first
    • Play Echoes first

I'm really excited for Echoes. It's a sign that IS hasn't forgotten about the older fans of the series and want to give the black sheep of the franchise a chance.I have never played Gaiden but now Echoes is coming in just 4 months. Feel free to discuss which is the better game to play first.

I personally really enjoy Gaiden, a lot more than I was expecting and enough to consider it my third favorite in the series, so I would recommend you try it. That said, if it's too clunky/old/whatever for you, don't force yourself through it. Even playing it for just a few chapters will let you appreciate the remake's improvements.

Edited by Knight Falchion

Now that SoV is announced I don't think I would recommend playing it. It's for similar reasons why I don't recommend FE1. In my opinion they haven't held up well over time. It's really cool to go back and see where the series began and see the first iteration of so many mechanics and how they've progressed and developed. But at the end of the day it's a 25 year old game and it feels like it. The only people I would recommend playing this are die hard fans who want to play every game in the series, or see where some of the game mechanics of today originated.

Probably Gaiden first. Even if you get around to actually playing Gaiden after Echoes is out it's going to feel so sloggy. I haven't played Gaiden yet and now I kind of feel like I have to.

I'd recommend playing Gaiden, so you can appreciate its more unique aspects, some of which seem to be returning. It might also give you some insight as to how the maps of the remake might look, among other things.

Gaiden has aged pretty well considering its age and you can savestate/use speedup on an emulator to improve the experience if you need to. I say go for it! You'll learn more about the series and develop an appreciation for all of the things that changed or stayed the same in Echoes.

I'd agree with SRC.  It'll also let you be an authority on bitching about any missteps that Echoes made!  Such an opportunity. 

8 hours ago, Darros said:

It's not Gaiden specifically, it's the NES Fire Emblem UI.

Honestly, Gaiden's UI itself is fine considering how simple the game is.  It's just...really slow.

I played Gidain a little while back and its probobly my seccond favorite, if not favorite FE. The UI is not really as slow as most people say, but I played it on a solderd cartrade on an origonal NES, so that might have had something to do with it. I would deffenatley reccomend it.

On 1/19/2017 at 10:50 AM, Randa said:

Now that SoV is announced I don't think I would recommend playing it. It's for similar reasons why I don't recommend FE1. In my opinion they haven't held up well over time. It's really cool to go back and see where the series began and see the first iteration of so many mechanics and how they've progressed and developed. But at the end of the day it's a 25 year old game and it feels like it. The only people I would recommend playing this are die hard fans who want to play every game in the series, or see where some of the game mechanics of today originated.

Yeah, I'd just wait for Echoes.  I haven't tried to play Gaiden specifically, but my experience trying to play pre-FE6 games hasn't been great.