The new artstyle

When I saw the direct, I was pleasantly surprised. I had a lot of fun playing Gaiden and this will be a great game to play. What got me really hyped was the artstyle. I've always been a fan of th Radiant Dawn artstyle, since it's more subtle with it's colours and is a bit more realistic. It's not that I dislike awakening and Fates for the artstyle, they were very well done and did fit in with how the general popular artstyle was at that point. I'm just glad to see a less "anime" (Very broad term, but I can't get a better word for it atm) style and something that's just a bit more life like.

Thought and opinions?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heavily enjoy the art style displayed in the new game. I think it's a nice mixture of old and new, fitting for a title such as Echoes. Many of the characters shown look great, I think the new more realistic style will be welcome. Though this does leave me curious as to how Valbo will look.

I love it personally. It's also nice to see some of the artists other work. Her name is Hidari and she worked on the Atelier series, which has beautiful art, so I can't wait to see more.

3 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

It definitely feels like much more of a natural evolution the series' art compared to the Kusakihira/Kozaki swerve that's the art of Awakening/Fates.

Please, Kozaki's changes weren't that drastic. Are we really engaging in revisionism already?

Smash Bros especially shows that Robin/Lucina/Corrin look perfectly fine next to the older character. Stop exaggerating.

As a whole, I loved Kozaki's art, but this looks especially good. Definitely the best in the series in my eyes.

Edited by Freyjadour

You know, I really loved Kozaki's art, but I feel like everything about this is just...better. The more subdued colours, the more distinctive faces. Maybe I'm just excited because it's a new Fire Emblem game with a new artstyle, but I'm worried I'll be disappointed if/when we go back to Kozaki art.

One of the things that made me really enjoy SD was the portrait artwork for all of the characters - I thought they were really well done (battle sprites are another story). Echoes portrait feels like a more vibrant update of that classic new artsyle, and I'm absolutely loving it.

It's anime still, but it feels a lot less bubblegummy if that makes any sense.

7 minutes ago, Freyjadour said:

Please, Kozaki's changes weren't that drastic. Are we really engaging in revisionism already?

Smash Bros especially shows that Robin/Lucina/Corrin look perfectly fine next to the older character. Stop exaggerating.

As a whole, I loved Kozaki's art, but this looks especially good. Definitely the best in the series in my eyes.

Please don't be so patronizing; while I didn't dislike Awakening and Fates' art as much as others, I like this art style and direction much better.

And they definitely look out of place in Smash if you take a little time and actually look at them; Robin has two belts and a weird skirt thing, and Lucina and Corrin appear to be wearing armored onesies. Chrom's design is highly asymmetrical and goes fairly overboard with belt buckles (two for his cape, four for his left boot in the back)- in general, I think Chrom's design is a massive outlier among both old and new. Roy also stands-out somewhat, thanks to the new design, but at least looks slightly more in-line with Marth and Ike.

Edited by The DanMan

2 minutes ago, Balanced Ace said:

So this is not the same artist who did awakening and Fates? Cool. I wonder how long IS will keep her. Didn't kozaki do the character design for the main characters in heroes?

Kozaki doesn't do character design; Kusakihira does design and direction, Kozaki draws the art. Heroes' characters have both their hallmarks all over it.

From what I've seen of it, I'm a big fan of. For lack of a better word, I like the more water-color style to it, and the animations look very nice as well. The sprites were nice as well, they felt distinct from the other 3DS games.

Not even close in terms of how much better it looks than older styles. Fates and Awakening looked good, too, but this is far better imo - better use of color, less extravagant clothing in general, and just easier on the eyes as a whole.

As a newer fan myself, I actually like the softer palettes and older feels of Echoes. As someone stated above, yes it truly is a mix between new and old. I feel the art helps to bring newer fans slowly into the older games, as I really wanted to see some of the original games myself.

I personally really like the newer, anime-ish style, but the FE characters don't feel out of place with one another. Yes, Robin, Lucina, and Corrin had extra bells and whistles in Smash, but nothing super crazy to make them stick out like sore thumbs compared to Ike and Marth, who also got design updates for Smash 4. The newer style is more flashy for sure, but art evolves with time. But that's just my two cents. I respect if you downright hate the newer FE artstyle.

Edited by Tactician Robin

3 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Kozaki doesn't do character design; Kusakihira does design and direction, Kozaki draws the art. Heroes' characters have both their hallmarks all over it.

I see. Thanks. So has Kusakihira always done the designs?

3 minutes ago, RobbieRotten said:

Less anime hot topic more classic fantasy A+

And what exactly is "anime hot topic?" Is that just any anime-esque style you don't like?

What do you think about Xenoblade and Kid Icarus? Are those also Hot Topic level? Or are you just someone who thinks that all anime is the same?

2 minutes ago, Freyjadour said:

And what exactly is "anime hot topic?" Is that just any anime-esque style you don't like?

What do you think about Xenoblade and Kid Icarus? Are those also Hot Topic level? Or are you just someone who thinks that all anime is the same?

I just thought fates characters were a bit over designed, so I'm glad to see them toning it down a bit

I love Hidari's work on the character art. Celica in particular looks leagues better than both her original Gaiden designs and her Awakening designs (not that it's harder to look better than the latter, mind you); she actually looks like I'd imagine a devout, regal priestess to look like. Not to say that the rest we've seen so far aren't fantastic, because they are, but Celica's is my clear favorite.

The cutscenes look really nice too; the animation's very detailed and fluid. Can't wait to see more!