The new artstyle

12 minutes ago, Balanced Ace said:

I see. Thanks. So has Kusakihira always done the designs?

He came on board for Awakening, likely why the style of the designs of that game were such a big departure from the previous installments.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the art style a lot and the direction the new armor designs have taken. It reminds me a lot of Radiant Dawn, which was the best in the series in terms of design. 

I am am not personally big on the map sprites, they are a step down from Fates in my opinion, but I will give that some time though. I like the softer colors though, and the less harsh designs. While I really liked Fates as I think the designs and colors really matched the characters, it is nice to return to something more along the lines of Radiant Dawn with a little simpler designs and softer colors. It's a nice change of pace to make things a little different.

Not knocking Kozaki at all, I think he did great, and wouldn't mind seeing him return for a different game.

Edited by Tolvir

I really liked the new style, it seemed very fitting for Echoes! Celica's new art and design is fantastic! From what I know of her character, it's very fitting. Alm's is a big step up from his original and Awakening designs, something about them seemed kinda funky to me.

14 minutes ago, RobbieRotten said:

I just thought fates characters were a bit over designed, so I'm glad to see them toning it down a bit

Me too, if I'm being honest. I almost feel like they tried to go for the, "Look at me, I'm super quirky!" kinda feel. xD

ANYWAYS I personally adore the new art style - I think it's a fantastic and refreshing change to see. It reminds me quite a bit of the Radiant Dawn style which I personally love. The coloring is also very well done. I just... everything's great looking. I'm extremely pleased with this. (I can't wait to see how other characters have been revamped!!!)

26 minutes ago, Balanced Ace said:

I see. Thanks. So has Kusakihira always done the designs?

He was brought on during Awakening's development; previously, I believe Senri Kata did both the art and direction. As for how much of a departure... well, Higuchi (the producer who's been with IS for a while), had this reaction to the art:

"...the changes were like never before, so I actually held my head, plopped down, and was like, 'Are you sure we want to put that in?!'"

3 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

He was brought on during Awakening's development; previously, I believe Senri Kata did both the art and direction. As for how much of a departure... well, Higuchi (the producer who's been with IS for a while), had this reaction to the art:

"...the changes were like never before, so I actually held my head, plopped down, and was like, 'Are you sure we want to put that in?!'"

In Radiant Dawn's credits, Sachiko Wada is credited as the art director, if that's worth anything.

Well, the new, softer palettes are just lovely and there seems to be less weird-random stuff on the clothes in general. I can appreciate that.

I'll miss the japanese-like style of the Hoshido classes, though...

EDIT: Are we already sure it was Kusakihira to design the characters this time as well? 

Edited by Koumal8

12 minutes ago, shadowofchaos said:

I like it. It reminds me of the Atelier series.

Actually, can someone check for me? I'm on mobile and my data can only handle forums at most until it resets.

Yeah, same artist is working on it

I'm absolutely loving this new art style. Can't wait to see my boys Kamui and Valbar.

15 minutes ago, shadowofchaos said:

I like it. It reminds me of the Atelier series.

Actually, can someone check for me? I'm on mobile and my data can only handle forums at most until it resets.

If I'm not wrong, Hiradi was the artist for the Atelier Dusk series.

EDIT: Ah, ninja'd

Edited by Blusis
Ninja'd

13 minutes ago, Koumal8 said:

EDIT: Are we already sure it was Kusakihira to design the characters this time as well? 

4 minutes ago, Balanced Ace said:

So if I understand this correctly, there's the Art director who thinks of the designs. Then there's the artist who draws it. Echoes has a new artist and art director?

Kusakihira never designed any characters; Kozaki did, since he's actually credited as the character designer. Kusakihira is the art director and designed the generics and outfits (because they didn't want to give Kozaki too much work). I assume that Hidari is the one that (re)designed the characters for this game (though Kusakihira might still be the art director).

Edited by Lightchao42

imo, Hidari's art and design looks more fitting than kozaki's for a modern FE. the colors that hidari pick look especially nice and toned down (i think muted is the word?) and i especially love the texture that she uses in her art that gives it a more "grainy" feel. also, I'm loving the redesigns we've seen so far

she also did a design for f/go which i personally think looks great! also yes, Hidari does draw for atelier (it looks great)

Edited by Chen

I really like the artstyle. It's still anime-ish, it's has a bit more of a realistic look kinda like the Tellius designs(which I LOVE because it gave everyone a bit more of a distinct look and helps them stand out more individually) and the color is toned down a bit. Everything isn't super colorful, but not super dark and/or bland. It's really good and I can't wait to see more of the game! :D:

Edited by Busterman64

I'm a big fan for many of the same reasons as others have noted, especially the muted palette; it just looks really nice (which is kind of a "duh" statement but I dunno what else to say). Celica and Saber are my favorite redesigns so far.

i love it! i've always been really keen on hidari's style, especially in regards to her textures and the like. it's really textural, and has sort of a painterly/fabric like look to it. 

it's also really different when compared to kozaki- kozaki's designs are really structural, with a fairly limited and really vibrant color palette that's usually one base color, one to two vibrant colors, and then gold (in fire emblem armors, anyways). it's a far cry from hidari's, who tends to have less structural designs and uses more color. as well, her designs tend to appear less cohesive with the other characters, in my opinion? they're more character personality-focused, rather than role focused. 

which isn't to say kozaki sucks- i like his art loads, but i don't think i'd want him on for three games in a row. :/ 

yeah, that's for a reason- kozaki actually never played an fe game before being signed on, so he wasn't really influenced as much by past game designs. 

Edited by falcoknights

I really like the new artstyle for this game. It's a nice blend of new and old, without the painful levels of fanservice present in Awakening and Fates. Boey's new portrait in particular really stands out to me because his two pieces of old artwork were quite frankly pretty bad.

Rather than calling Kozaki's art "anime hot topic" I think a more proper distinction is to say that the designs in FE Echoes look more fantasy while the designs in Awakening and Fates look more JRPG.  Less Lord of the Rings, more Final Fantasy.  Less Berserk, more SAO.

I like the new art, it's very pretty.  Everyone in this game is so pretty.