Will Echoes have a weapon triangle?

The weapon triangle was introduced in FE4, and I am curious if others will think it will stay in SoV. It looks like since people don't need weapons to attack it could be left out all together.

In the battle preview of Alm vs a soldier, I can't see any arrows that usually denote WTA/WTD. So there could well be no weapon triangle.

I think I'd prefer it that way. It would make the scarcity of axe users (player and enemy) a non-issue.

3 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

In the battle preview of Alm vs a soldier, I can't see any arrows that usually denote WTA/WTD. So there could well be no weapon triangle.

I think I'd prefer it that way. It would make the scarcity of axe users (player and enemy) a non-issue.

Yeah, there has to be a triangle for a weapon triangle to work, lol

They shoehorned one in to SD and NM, but I'd honestly love to see a game without the triangle. The more I hear about Echoes the more excited I get!

No, I predict that there will be some form of the triangle. Since Awakening, newcomers have associated the weapon triangle with the Fire Emblem series. They even made a new weapon triangle for the mobile game. IS will most likely be consistent about this. We haven't seen the entire FE Echoes interface yet (both screens on the 3DS).

Edited by Leif

Just now, The DanMan said:

I hope the lack of a weapon triangle doesn't denote a lack of overall care in actual upgrading the game; the last thing this community needs is another Shadow Dragon.

Shadow Dragon was beautiful for what it is. It's really faithful for what it's worth, and I for one LOVE that about SD.

I don't think people appreciate SD as they feel like it was a step backwards because it didn't have things they particularly wanted or gotten used to. But! It was a great game if you like classic, simple FE - which I do. I realize it's not popular overall, but I think it's a stretch so say it's bad by any means.

You'd think that a SD is exactly what this community needs, after all the Kris stuff. Simplicity is often overlooked and under appreciated, but it's the reason a lot of the arcade games are just as fun to play as your most intensive JRPG's despite being from the 80's - beautiful simplicity.

21 minutes ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

Shadow Dragon was beautiful for what it is. It's really faithful for what it's worth, and I for one LOVE that about SD.

Look at my favorite game in the series.

I agree with you. But seeing how it got trashed and flamed, and how we have more fans than ever with just as much of an expectations baseline, alongside Gaiden's total clunkiness as a game, makes me hope this is more than "Remaster + simple story touch-up".

Edited by The DanMan

Just now, The DanMan said:

Look at my favorite game in the series.

I agree with you. But seeing how it got trashed and flamed, and how we have more fans than ever with just as much of an expectations baseline, alongside Gaiden's total clunkiness as a game, makes me hope this more than "Remaster + simple story touch-up".

Haha, it's late for me, so I missed that ._.

I think fixing the menus and interface and speeding up the action fixes like 90% of my issues with Gaiden. I do hope they overhaul the maps and a few supports would be nice, but honestly, Gaiden was simple and I loved it for being the simple different FE. I hope it stays that way, and a new generation will find a way to poo-poo it I'm sure.

I'd be very surprised if there was no triangle at all.  I'm not sure if it will be a simple one, or complex like Fates, but the weapon triangle is such a part of FE that I don't think they'd abandon it.

4 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I'd be very surprised if there was no triangle at all.  I'm not sure if it will be a simple one, or complex like Fates, but the weapon triangle is such a part of FE that I don't think they'd abandon it.

Just like weapon durability, eh?

That said, I could see a bow>magic>melee>bow triangle. If bows are going to be 1-3/1-5 range like in Gaiden, they'll need some kind of drawback.

4 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

Just like weapon durability, eh?

That said, I could see a bow>magic>melee>bow triangle. If bows are going to be 1-3/1-5 range like in Gaiden, they'll need some kind of drawback.

I was surprised they took durability, but the triangle is a fun part of the game, for lack of a better word.

There's no way they would remove the weapon triangle, it would be like if Sonic Team would remove the speed element from most of their Sonic games!

Wait a minute...

Edited by Nym

I kinda see the triangle as more being on a smaller scale and a tactical element while still being a long lasting "iconic" one. While durability is on a larger scale and is a strategic element that can easily define the whole way the game is setup and played and is very much tied to how weapons and resouces are hnadledDifferent scales mean different results when you change them and how they get changed. So if you want to change how weapons are handled durability is some thing that will be changed and feel quite changed or removed outright. On how it appears to me I don't really feel like the weapon triangle has really changed much while changes to durability and what it's tied to can vary quite a bit on how I play. 

Even though the weapon triangle is important as heck, I'd like to see it removed entirely for this installment only.  However, considering that there may be an additional difficulty level, like how they did with shadow dragon, the weapon triangle may be important for a hard early game, since Thieves in the original used axes and villagers and alm used swords.  

Also, will there be the simple, "No weapon in inventory = stat to stat battle"?  I have high hopes for this game, as Mr. Lowenthall (however you spell his name) said, "Everything that made Gaiden unique is here.  It's classic Fire Emblem gameplay, with a twist."  If they keep out the weapon triangle, it'd be like m night shyamalan was developing it to newer players. (What a twist!)

Edited by Lord Tullus

36 minutes ago, Nym said:

There's no way they would remove the weapon triangle, it would be like if Sonic Team would remove the speed element from most of their Sonic games!

Wait a minute...

You seem to be stuck in pre-2008, because the only recent Sonic game that was slow wasn't even made by Sonic Team lol 

1 minute ago, Lord Tullus said:

Even though the weapon triangle is important as heck, I'd like to see it removed entirely for this installment only.  However, considering that there may be an additional difficulty level, like how they did with shadow dragon, the weapon triangle may be important for a hard early game, since Thieves in the original used axes and villagers and alm used swords.  

Also, will there be the simple, "No weapon in inventory = stat to stat battle"?  I have high hopes for this game, as Mr. Lowenthall (however you spell his name) said, "Everything that made Gaiden unique is here.  It's classic Fire Emblem gameplay, with a twist."  If they keep out the weapon triangle, it'd be like m night shyamalan was developing it to newer players. (What a twist!)

Lowenthal, and well Gaiden didn't originally have a Triangle so we can't be sure, but I don't think they showed Casting from HP to be returning because I didn't see Ceciia lose any HP when she fought the Draco-Zombie. So I don't think its safe to assume absolutely everything from Gaiden will stay.

9 hours ago, Baldrick said:

If bows are going to be 1-3/1-5 range like in Gaiden, they'll need some kind of drawback.

I'm 90% sure they have an accuracy fall-off the further you go out; in MK404's LP, his archers were horrendous when it came to sniping from 4 or 5 tiles away, but more accurate closer up. And in general, it's not like they did Fates-tier damage in that game.

Anyways, just watched a thoughts/analysis vid from someone who knows his Japanese, and he pointed out that in the clip with Alm fighting the Soldier, the Soldier simply has "lance" equipped on the combat forecast. That's what would happen in the original Gaiden if you didn't have any weapon equipped (which was a good deal of the time)- you'd just have a "sword" or "lance" working off of your base strength.

Also in that shot, nothing was shown indicating a weapon triangle (no arrows, no symbols)-- I really do think it's gone for this installment.

Edited by The DanMan

I... don't believe they lose accuracy in Gaiden from longer ranges (if they do, I've never noticed it), but this was one of my ideas for how it may change in this remake (as well as having less accuracy in shooting a bow in melee range, which sounds like a risky proposition)

As for the weapon triangle, they're mad enough to remake Gaiden, they might be mad enough to leave axes out and not have it.

Edited by Tryhard

7 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

As for the weapon triangle, they're mad enough to remake Gaiden, they might be mad enough to leave axes out and not have it.

On the one hand, that would be a shame.

On the other hand, they DID readd the axe users missing in Mystery of the Emblem and then some for New Mystery, so there's hope.

9 hours ago, Jedi said:

You seem to be stuck in pre-2008, because the only recent Sonic game that was slow wasn't even made by Sonic Team lol 

I know that, it was just to show how weird the decision can be.

But I should have said ''some Sonic games'' instead of ''most'', that was my bad on this one.

However, I do remember seeing a low of slow elements in Sonic Boom and that game was made in 2014.

Edited by Nym

Echoes will be modernized with Awakening/Fates mechanics. I think we can assume there will be a Weapon Triangle. There may be a Magic Triangle as well on that note.

Bows in Gaiden were 1-5. If you attack from more than 2 spaces away, there is no 2nd attack. am most interested in seeing if this is retained.