Will Echoes have a weapon triangle?

12 hours ago, Jedi said:

Lowenthal, and well Gaiden didn't originally have a Triangle so we can't be sure, but I don't think they showed Casting from HP to be returning because I didn't see Ceciia lose any HP when she fought the Draco-Zombie. So I don't think its safe to assume absolutely everything from Gaiden will stay.

It could have been subtracted only in the bottom screen, or they could have moved HP loss to the post-battle like the poison skills in Fates. Or they could make magic only work on the player phase!

With only the top screen being displayed it's too early to tell how faithful certain mechanics will be implemented. It's possible that the triangle doesn't show in the top screen. Or we could well have no triangle, or even have the triangle effects restricted to certain weapons.

18 minutes ago, X-Naut said:

It could have been subtracted only in the bottom screen, or they could have moved HP loss to the post-battle like the poison skills in Fates. Or they could make magic only work on the player phase!

With only the top screen being displayed it's too early to tell how faithful certain mechanics will be implemented. It's possible that the triangle doesn't show in the top screen. Or we could well have no triangle, or even have the triangle effects restricted to certain weapons.

This is true, haha its much too early to tell.

54 minutes ago, Aurabolt said:

Echoes will be modernized with Awakening/Fates mechanics. I think we can assume there will be a Weapon Triangle. There may be a Magic Triangle as well on that note.

Bows in Gaiden were 1-5. If you attack from more than 2 spaces away, there is no 2nd attack. am most interested in seeing if this is retained.

We have a scene transition and UI that heavily implies that pair-up is out; this assumption is flawed. We can't assume anything yet; only make inferences.

58 minutes ago, Aurabolt said:

Echoes will be modernized with Awakening/Fates mechanics. I think we can assume there will be a Weapon Triangle. There may be a Magic Triangle as well on that note.

Bows in Gaiden were 1-5. If you attack from more than 2 spaces away, there is no 2nd attack. am most interested in seeing if this is retained.

You seem to talk like you have played the remake.  But I specifically Remember doubling at 4 range in the original gaiden.

The usual weapon triangle wouldn't work properly with how few axe users are in the game. There weren't even any proper axes in the original game at all, the bandits were unequipped and simply attacked with the 0 Might default weapons. Two ways to remedy that would be:

1. Have bows be part of the triangle, as was already suggested.

2. Diversify the class selection, so axe users are actually seen outside the first few battles.

I am very much in favor of option 2, because the armies were seriously unbalanced. Celica's Group has 4 swordfighters and 6 magic users, a bit more variety would make things more fun.

While I do think we will definitely get some axe users, I mean there is enough mercenaries in Gaiden to be split up into axe fighters and myrmidons while still keeping mercenary so yeah, but if we don't, I wouldn't mind a bows>magic>melee>bows triangle like someone else suggested.

4 hours ago, Night Zap said:

The usual weapon triangle wouldn't work properly with how few axe users are in the game. There weren't even any proper axes in the original game at all, the bandits were unequipped and simply attacked with the 0 Might default weapons. Two ways to remedy that would be:

1. Have bows be part of the triangle, as was already suggested.

2. Diversify the class selection, so axe users are actually seen outside the first few battles.

I am very much in favor of option 2, because the armies were seriously unbalanced. Celica's Group has 4 swordfighters and 6 magic users, a bit more variety would make things more fun.

FE11/12 greatly expended the number of classes with axes, between new and old classes. I think it's likely that this will do the same, weapon triangle or no weapon triangle.

21 hours ago, The DanMan said:

I hope the lack of a weapon triangle doesn't denote a lack of overall care in actual upgrading the game; the last thing this community needs is another Shadow Dragon.

Shadow Dragon's biggest flaw was that despite the UI interfaces, it still felt like the 20 year old game that it was based on.

New Mystery is comparable to Shadow Dragon, but did enough to change things up beyond the Avatar to make it much more loved, while still being faithful to the original source.

From what we've seen of SoV, it really feels like they're moreso trying to bring Gaiden into the 21st century while still making it feel like Gaiden. Gaiden's mechanics were solid and I don't think they need to be abandoned to remake it, because then it stops feeling like Gaiden. They're really emphasizing the original source material here because so few people played the original game.

6 hours ago, The DanMan said:

We have a scene transition and UI that heavily implies that pair-up is out; this assumption is flawed. We can't assume anything yet; only make inferences.

You're the one assuming here. I don't recall saying anything about SPECIFIC mechanics. Only the Awakening/Fates Engine is being used for Echoes.

6 hours ago, Lord Tullus said:

You seem to talk like you have played the remake.  But I specifically Remember doubling at 4 range in the original gaiden.

...You're confused. I'm playing Gaiden right now. Not the remake.

1 hour ago, Aurabolt said:

You're the one assuming here. I don't recall saying anything about SPECIFIC mechanics.

8 hours ago, Aurabolt said:

I think we can assume there will be a Weapon Triangle.

1 hour ago, Aurabolt said:

...You're confused. I'm playing Gaiden right now. Not the remake.

I haven't played Gaiden in a while, but do bows really not double from long range? I would've thought I remembered that.

Most of the non-default bows do have weight, which decreases your AS

Now that i'm looking at the Trailer again, I don't see a clear indication of Weapon Triangle stuff. 

f897ab0293450c2541a3e94a7c72547a.png

Plus i've been told that Lance is literally just called "Lance".

Edited by Jedi

I'm betting that the combat forecast in the trailer is an "expert" setting like the ones available in the GBA games, used to make the game look more faithful in the presentation. And I wouldn't be surprised if that setting doesn't show the weapon advantage. 

7 hours ago, Jedi said:

Now that i'm looking at the Trailer again, I don't see a clear indication of Weapon Triangle stuff. 

f897ab0293450c2541a3e94a7c72547a.png

Plus i've been told that Lance is literally just called "Lance".

I've seen this image multiple times in this topic and just noticed the small yellow part to Crit. Then again Alm is using a sword, so there goes that idea. It might be noteworthy within itself though.

now that i've played some of _gaiden_ what i'm wondering is if bows will be effective against fliers or not. it seems really strange to me that there's no disadvantage to bows, so having them add in effectiveness would make things much more interesting imo.

Just now, geozeldadude said:

now that i've played some of _gaiden_ what i'm wondering is if bows will be effective against fliers or not. it seems really strange to me that there's no disadvantage to bows, so having them add in effectiveness would make things much more interesting imo.

Only equipped bows are effective against fliers in Gaiden (3x the weapons might), but not enemies with no equipped bows. I could see this being changed.