Artist/Character Designer for FE Switch

nyainou

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I most definitely wouldn't want Kozaki to return, he's overstayed his welcome and his art was such a downgrade from Senri Kita (and Hidari was such a huge upgrade) that it's remarkable he was able to stay for so long. I think the general notion that Kozaki is a better 'technical' artist is asinine with some of the worst character and class designs in the entire series (Knights, Cavaliars, War Clerics, Mages, Tricksters, pot head villagers, Nowi and gratuitous over use of impracticable garterbelts). He also fails to incorporate pre-existing series design aesthetics, with Shadow Dragon/Mystery of the Emblem being completely disregarded in terms of design, despite Ylisse/Valm being Archanea and Valentia in the future. I'm sure Nagi and Mila will be rolling in their graves at the rapid degeneration of Archanaean/Valentian culture and clothing. 

The only times I enjoyed Kozaki's art is when he drew pre-existing characters (eg. his drawings of Ike, Eirika, Lyn and Marth), however as a main stay artist for the series, he would almost single-handedly kill any interest I have in an upcoming game if his designs are as bad as Awakening.  I digress that Fates was a huge step-up from Awakening, however the lack of character official art and general mediocrity compared to other games inspired by traditional Japanese culture, I can't help but see it as a missed opportunity. I digress, when a majority of the generic characters you're pitted against have a better design than a large portion of the playable cast, I feel like there's an inherent issue from that alone. 

On 12/7/2017 at 10:37 AM, OakTree said:

How about Pako? He's my favorite Type-Moon artist, his art is gorgeus and and he doesn't suffer from any sameface problem:

https://twitter.com/pakosun/status/921718637332795393

Out of the pictures you linked, I only really like this picture. 

The girls in the first picture look like something from Kyoto Animation which creates a strong disconnect with the Fire Emblem franchise alone. 

10 hours ago, SlipperySlippy said:

I most definitely wouldn't want Kozaki to return, he's overstayed his welcome and his art was such a downgrade from Senri Kita (and Hidari was such a huge upgrade) that it's remarkable he was able to stay for so long. I think the general notion that Kozaki is a better 'technical' artist is asinine with some of the worst character and class designs in the entire series (Knights, Cavaliars, War Clerics, Mages, Tricksters, pot head villagers, Nowi and gratuitous over use of impracticable garterbelts). He also fails to incorporate pre-existing series design aesthetics, with Shadow Dragon/Mystery of the Emblem being completely disregarded in terms of design, despite Ylisse/Valm being Archanea and Valentia in the future. I'm sure Nagi and Mila will be rolling in their graves at the rapid degeneration of Archanaean/Valentian culture and clothing. 

You know that he was the character designer, not the one for classes, right? So those last three lines are nothing when talking about Kozaki, but even if he had dedsigned them, you know that Awakening happened 2000 years after SD, right? Maybe your clothes are inspired by the roman empire, but I can tell you that mine do not.

About who is better, it comes to personal preference, while I like both of them as designers, I much prefer Kozaki's style.

31 minutes ago, Sbuscoz said:

You know that he was the character designer, not the one for classes, right? So those last three lines are nothing when talking about Kozaki, but even if he had dedsigned them, you know that Awakening happened 2000 years after SD, right? Maybe your clothes are inspired by the roman empire, but I can tell you that mine do not.

About who is better, it comes to personal preference, while I like both of them as designers, I much prefer Kozaki's style.

The Archanaean culture was more of a joke, however considering the downgrade to Kozaki's design atrocities... Since Fire Emblem 4's TCG, there's been a pretty consistent design thematic throughout the Fire Emblem franchise, however it only happens that Kozaki's games (Awakening, Fates, Heroes) where the design decisions take a complete heel turn definitely seems disconcerning. 

As for the class and character design comment, I can't imagine they aren't interrelated. Is there any confirmed truth that Kozaki didn't design the classes? I'm not sure on the details, but I can imagine that the classes were modeled based on the playable characters and not vice versa (eg. the enemy fighters in Path of Radaince just using a recoloured Boyd model, I'd imagine Boyd was designed first in this example), so I can only speculate. If I'm wrong, then my bad regarding Kozaki and Awakening's nefarious class designs. As for the class designer, if they're completely unrelated, then they need to be fired A.S.A.P.

4 minutes ago, SlipperySlippy said:

The Archanaean culture was more of a joke, however considering the downgrade to Kozaki's design atrocities... Since Fire Emblem 4's TCG, there's been a pretty consistent design thematic throughout the Fire Emblem franchise, however it only happens that Kozaki's games (Awakening, Fates, Heroes) where the design decisions take a complete heel turn definitely seems disconcerning. 

As for the class and character design comment, I can't imagine they aren't interrelated. Is there any confirmed truth that Kozaki didn't design the classes? I'm not sure on the details, but I can imagine that the classes were modeled based on the playable characters and not vice versa (eg. the enemy fighters in Path of Radaince just using a recoloured Boyd model, I'd imagine Boyd was designed first in this example), so I can only speculate. If I'm wrong, then my bad regarding Kozaki and Awakening's nefarious class designs. As for the class designer, if they're completely unrelated, then they need to be fired A.S.A.P.

The art director was Kusakihara, you can see his design concepts for Awakening at least just by going to the wiki pages of the classes:

http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/File:Dark_Mage_Male.jpg

http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/File:Dark_Mage_Female_1.jpg

http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/File:Fighter.jpg

http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/File:Cleric.jpg

1 hour ago, OakTree said:

Thanks for the information, I can now safely give Kozaki a bypass on the terrible class designs. Poor guy had to work with what he was given. With that said, Awakening suffered form a lot of mediocrity in character designs. Fates did reverse that however and characters became much more distinct and better designs. 

I suppose I wouldn't mind Kozaki returning but I definitely don't want Kusakihara returning as the battle unit designer. Whilst he had a connection to Echoes of Valentia, from the Askiran armour to Awakening's toilet armour, they are huge disappointments. 

Edited by SlipperySlippy

Oh hey! A thread revival!

I agree with most of you that it'll likely be Kozaki that does the character design in the future. What they need is a new class designer.

However, someone mentioned using Kimihiko Fujisaka as an artist. While I think that'd be awesome for an FE game, I don't know if it'd be suitable for the new Switch FE. However, I think that they'd be an amazing choice for a Geneology of the Holy War remake. 

Shinnosuke Hino is someone I would like to see. I don't really like their Takumi and Leo in Heroes, but Catria is gorgeous in Awakening.
PeпekoR also has made some nice takes on FE characters. Their Valter and Eldigan are among one of my favourites in Heroes.
Though I don't like cuboon's version of Palla, the other characters they designed for Heroes were beautiful.
Rika Suzuki is someone whose a hit or miss with me. They've made Deirdre and Julia otherwordly beautiful, given the lords of FE a majestic air, but the latest Eirka from this month's Cipher doesn't sit well with me.

Edited by silveraura25

3 hours ago, TheTuckingFypo said:

Oh hey! A thread revival!

I agree with most of you that it'll likely be Kozaki that does the character design in the future. What they need is a new class designer. 

I agree with the latter part, but how is it likely that it'll be Kozaki? They typically switch artists every time they move to new tech, and they've NEVER gone back to an old artist after switching. 

FE is moving to new hardware, and Hidari did Echoes. It'd be incredibly out of character to bring Kozaki back. 

Plus, Kozaki will likely also be doing art for No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Back during the development of FE Switch. Not that he can't do two games at once, but I don't remember him having anything else lined up while working on Awakening or Fates. 

I also really don't want him back. Even if the art director was to blame for the awful designs of the 3DS games, Kozaki was too anime. Fire Emblem's plenty anime, but it should never be THAT anime. I like his work on NMH, but for FE he did less than stellar work, IMO. I don't care how technical his art style is, it didn't feel right. Rembrandt is an amazing artist, but he wouldn't have been able to pull of Starry Night, if you get what I'm saying. 

38 minutes ago, Slumber said:

I agree with the latter part, but how is it likely that it'll be Kozaki? They typically switch artists every time they move to new tech, and they've NEVER gone back to an old artist after switching. 

FE is moving to new hardware, and Hidari did Echoes. It'd be incredibly out of character to bring Kozaki back. 

Plus, Kozaki will likely also be doing art for No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Back during the development of FE Switch. Not that he can't do two games at once, but I don't remember him having anything else lined up while working on Awakening or Fates. 

I also really don't want him back. Even if the art director was to blame for the awful designs of the 3DS games, Kozaki was too anime. Fire Emblem's plenty anime, but it should never be THAT anime. I like his work on NMH, but for FE he did less than stellar work, IMO. I don't care how technical his art style is, it didn't feel right. Rembrandt is an amazing artist, but he wouldn't have been able to pull of Starry Night, if you get what I'm saying. 

I don't know why you keep saying this. Kozaki has the most westaboo character designs of any mainline FE artist. If anything, Kita's style was more anime, what with Micaiah's eyes taking up half of her face.

6 minutes ago, UNLEASH IT said:

I don't know why you keep saying this. Kozaki has the most westaboo character designs of any mainline FE artist. If anything, Kita's style was more anime, what with Micaiah's eyes taking up half of her face.

Amy was worse, her eyes were big as her mouth. 

20 minutes ago, UNLEASH IT said:

I wasn't the biggest fan of Senri Kita either, to be honest.

But a big part of why Kozaki's art feels so "anime" is that it's so bright, shiny and clean. There's no grit to anything he drew, and it seemed even worse compared to his work on stuff like No More Heroes, where his art had used a lot of black, and it almost had a comic book feel.

Even if Senri Kita or Eiji Kaneda had pretty standard anime style, their artstyles were a lot more toned down. It fit the tone a lot more with what Fire Emblem was before they started doing art.

And big eyes aren't the only thing distinct in anime. Western animation makes use of giant eyes, too. What non-anime artstyles typically don't do is... stuff like Peri. Or giant hair drills like Elise and Maribelle.

Edited by Slumber

6 minutes ago, Slumber said:

I wasn't the biggest fan of Senri Kita either, to be honest.

But a big part of why Kozaki's art feels so "anime" is that it's so bright, shiny and clean. There's no grit to anything he drew, and it seemed even worse compared to his work on stuff like No More Heroes, where his art had used a lot of black, and it almost had a comic book feel.

Even if Senri Kita or Eiji Kaneda had pretty standard anime style, their artstyles were a lot more toned down. It fit the tone a lot more with what Fire Emblem was before they started doing art.

And big eyes aren't the only thing distinct in anime. Western animation makes use of giant eyes, too. What non-anime artstyles typically don't do is... stuff like Peri. Or giant hair drills like Elise and Maribelle.

Define toned down, because Kozaki relied mainly on a dull, unsaturated colour palette for Fates (It's one of the main reasons why Hinoka's bright red hair sticks out so much). Compare that to Kita's artwork, where red is always RED and green is always GREEN.

Just now, UNLEASH IT said:

Define toned down, because Kozaki relied mainly on a dull, unsaturated colour palette for Fates (It's one of the main reasons why Hinoka's bright red hair sticks out so much). Compare that to Kita's artwork, where red is always RED and green is always GREEN.

It came off like I was attributing this more to color palette when I should have attributed this more to detail. I mentioned everything being shiny and clean, which I don't think needs much clarification, but I should probably add that part of the problem for me also comes from how exaggerated his style is. I should also probably mention that Kozaki's style in this regard got considerably more exaggerated in Fates compared to Awakening. With Awakening it's hard to tell if it's just Kozaki's artstyle that clashes with the series, or if it's the hard left that the art direction took. There were still some questionable choices, like Gaius being so obsessed with candy that it's literally stuck to him all over the place, but it was somewhat digestible.

Fates was another level entirely. Fates is where it goes from "Does this art direction not fit for the series?" to "Does Kozaki not fit with this series?" Everything from character basic character features like hair stood out way more than previous games. Where most(Not all, but I'd consider it way more rare) of the time, old FE games looked like something people could reasonably have, sans the hair colors. Damn near everyone in Fates has feathered, blown out hair, or very slicked, styled hair. Benny's just about the only Fates dude who doesn't look like he spends 2 hours styling his hair because he's got a short crew cut. Without beating the ridiculous hair drills(Since Awakening's also guilty of dumb hair drills) or Peri into the ground over and over, look at Keaton's skunked mohawk/pompadour/mullet combo and tell me it resembles anything else in the franchise, or Azama's feathered fro, or Shura's skunk hairsplosion.

And that's just the hair.

On the Nohr side(Which is where armor designs as a whole would be comparable to previous games), armor/clothing is so unreasonably detailed. The simplest design in the Nohr army is again, Benny. Compared to FE10 Gatrie, where even at the time I thought was overdesigned, I can at least kind of tell how Gatrie's armor is put together and what each individual piece does. Benny's got like, a ring of plates around the belly area of his armor, you can clearly see the straps on his armor, yet his pauldrons look like they're screwed to his chest piece and his arm pieces, he had these MASSIVE elbow pads that wrap around to the front of his elbow, his skirt looks like it's in two layers. There's a lot going on, even again, compared to what I consider is probably the previous king of "Too much shit going on" for armor knights. Compare just about any Nohr character to a character of the same class from any previous FE, and there's a pretty stark difference.

Anime gets a bad rap for being overly exaggerated with its designs, and I definitely would say Fates(And Awakening to a lesser extent) falls into that trapping more than any previous Fire Emblem.

So that's partially what I meant by "Toned down".

From the returning artists, I would like Sachiko Wada, the artist for Sacred Stones. I really like her marvelous artstyle, especially the colours.

I wouldn't mind Hidari to come back either. His art is just gorgeous.

As for other artists, Rui Komatsuzuki would be my choice, the artist of the Danganronpa series. His art's pretty good, especially the eyes, imo.

Dont really have a preference.

I love Kozaki characters and Hidari characters where lifeless in comparison to me. But if Hidari where to return i wouldnt mind that much. As for wether Kozaki is going to return or not i think it has a 50/50 chance given that both FE he worked on are best sellers. I think there is a big diference between the fanbase opinion and the general public opinion if character reception like Camilla is anything to go by so i can see Nintendo thinking Kozaki is one of the reasons of FE boon and decides they want him on board.

Tough Satoshi Urushihara working on a FE would be ace for me since i love his beautiful females and his manly older men. But again i have no particular preference.

5 hours ago, kratoscar2008 said:

Dont really have a preference.

I love Kozaki characters and Hidari characters where lifeless in comparison to me. But if Hidari where to return i wouldnt mind that much. As for wether Kozaki is going to return or not i think it has a 50/50 chance given that both FE he worked on are best sellers. I think there is a big diference between the fanbase opinion and the general public opinion if character reception like Camilla is anything to go by so i can see Nintendo thinking Kozaki is one of the reasons of FE boon and decides they want him on board.

Tough Satoshi Urushihara working on a FE would be ace for me since i love his beautiful females and his manly older men. But again i have no particular preference.

I really don't think it's fair relating Awakening or Fates success to Kozaki. Now, that isn't to say he had no impact on the games success, but the 'casualisation', the marketing, the quality of life changes (UI/enemy movement/etc) and being on the 3DS are all much bigger factors to the games success.

I may take back the blame I laid on Kozaki for the terrible class designs featured in Awakening/Fates, but compared to Senri Kita and Hidari I do think he's a huge downgrade. I'd put Kozaki on a similar level of appeal as Daisuke Izuka (who I do like). If anything, I think Kozaki is lucky to have been featured in Awakening & Fates, unlike say Echoes of Valentia, which I feel was lucky to have Hidari as the games artist. 

I'd like Hidari to return for Geneaology (and by extension, Thracia if it gets a remake) echoes, with Wada Sachiko being the one who does Blazing and Binding Blade's Echo-variants. 

As for Fire Emblem Switch, I think there's only two options I'd be happy with:

• An entirely new artist
  • An artist who's only been featured in one game (Basically Hidari, Wada or Daisuke).
Edited by SlipperySlippy

1 hour ago, SlipperySlippy said:

I really don't think it's fair relating Awakening or Fates success to Kozaki. Now, that isn't to say he had no impact on the games success, but the 'casualisation', the marketing, the quality of life changes (UI/enemy movement/etc) and being on the 3DS are all much bigger factors to the games success.

I may take back the blame I laid on Kozaki for the terrible class designs featured in Awakening/Fates, but compared to Senri Kita and Hidari I do think he's a huge downgrade. I'd put Kozaki on a similar level of appeal as Daisuke Izuka (who I do like). If anything, I think Kozaki is lucky to have been featured in Awakening & Fates, unlike say Echoes of Valentia, which I feel was lucky to have Hidari as the games artist. 

I'd like Hidari to return for Geneaology (and by extension, Thracia if it gets a remake) echoes, with Wada Sachiko being the one who does Blazing and Binding Blade's Echo-variants. 

As for Fire Emblem Switch, I think there's only two options I'd be happy with:

• An entirely new artist
  • An artist who's only been featured in one game (Basically Hidari, Wada or Daisuke).

Obviously Nintendo and the fanbase have a lots of info on what made FE a success however in the end its up to nintendo how they will interpretate that info for the next FE moving forward. Like i have been reading some boards for when Fates was announced, most of the fanbase thought that due the other elements that made awakening a success Nintendo would drop children, S-supports and to a lesser extent the avatar. Of course Nintendo interpretated that information and they responded with children, even more supports (Along same sex S-supports), Avatar being the protagonist and expanded waifu elements. So what im saying is that the fanbase may think Kozaki is not important but for all we know Nintendo has him as one of the pillars of current FE success.

As for this rule of an artist only working in 2 games i say this rule may or not apply any longer, that rule was when FE was a minor Nintendo IP. Now its reaching AAA levels of recognition so Nintendo might want this to be replicated in the next FE and maybe Kozaki is on the list (Or not). Guess it all depends on wether Nintendo is willing to take a risk with FE switch and how they will interpretate entries like Echoes which didnt perform as well as its 3D peers.

I had this big ass rambling post about my opinion on Hidari, but I can basically sum it up to how much I dislike how monochromatic so many characters are in Echoes.

It's not all of her designs, and the more I thought about it the more it clicked that it may have been a result of Echoes keeping the same primary color on armor no matter the class.

But, for example, Celica is red hair, red eyes, red and white armor, so my eyes hit the white of her armor and hang there instead of her face. Alm, being the same shade of blue on everything but his hair puts my eyes on his face, but the rest just blends together. Despite the armor, upon a closer look, are remarkably detailed and unique for everyone.

I mean, compare Matilda's look to Forsyth's. Green. Just green.

Anyway, Kozaki's designs (and many instances of the past game's character designs) don't really melt into themselves like Hidari's do, with details and colors breaking it up and giving the eye interesting details to see.

On 12/6/2017 at 6:37 PM, OakTree said:

Pako is good.  Based Nobu.

If I had to pick a TM artist to work on FE I'd personally go for Nakahara (Fate/Prototype Fragments and drew Proto-Arthur, Proto-Cu, Ozymandias, and Serenity Hassan in FGO), Ototsugu Konoe (Fate/Apocrypha and drew Mordred, Jack, and Astolfo in FGO), or Arco Wada (Fate/EXTRA and drew Nero, Tamamo, and tons of other Servants in FGO).

I know Wada has had bad experiences with FE in the past (Micaiah's Awakening DLC art specifically) but their art has improved so much since then that I think they could really do it.

On 12/17/2017 at 4:33 PM, kratoscar2008 said:

Obviously Nintendo and the fanbase have a lots of info on what made FE a success however in the end its up to nintendo how they will interpretate that info for the next FE moving forward. Like i have been reading some boards for when Fates was announced, most of the fanbase thought that due the other elements that made awakening a success Nintendo would drop children, S-supports and to a lesser extent the avatar. Of course Nintendo interpretated that information and they responded with children, even more supports (Along same sex S-supports), Avatar being the protagonist and expanded waifu elements. So what im saying is that the fanbase may think Kozaki is not important but for all we know Nintendo has him as one of the pillars of current FE success.

As for this rule of an artist only working in 2 games i say this rule may or not apply any longer, that rule was when FE was a minor Nintendo IP. Now its reaching AAA levels of recognition so Nintendo might want this to be replicated in the next FE and maybe Kozaki is on the list (Or not). Guess it all depends on wether Nintendo is willing to take a risk with FE switch and how they will interpretate entries like Echoes which didnt perform as well as its 3D peers.

i am sorry but your post confuses me...

why would Nintendo drop the s-supports, waifu and avatar when all these were responsible for awakening's success? they only got backlash for teh same features in fates because they overdid it and just put them there with 0 thought

Also how can u compare important "revolutionary" game elements with character designs that were always a strong point of the series?

there are gazillions of artists who can draw as good and even better than kozaku its not like he brought any unique art style... FE style was always generic anime so its really not that hard or deep...

I want another artist not because kozaku's style is bad but because he already showed signs of fatigue so if he designs another game with 30 characters i am sure he wont bring much to the table...

Edited by Pegasus Knight

Kozaki is probably one of my favorite artists in gaming history, and his art for the characters is one of the main contributing factors attracting me to Fire Emblem: Awakening.

I’d really like Kozaki to stay for more future entries of Fire Emblem characters not just because I’m biased towards his art, but looking back at previous games, the art styles were extremely similar to other old school anime medium around the time and didn’t feel and make Fire Emblem distinctive enough to let’s say, Studio Ghibli.

Kozaki takes a break from the ‘typical anime style’ trope and draws the characters in a much more anatomically realistic and correct style that made Fire Emblem much more distinctive and differentiates it from other art styles.

Of course all of the above is just my personal opinion, and anything can change at any given moment of time. So if he sadly gets replaced, I have high expectations from the artist, they would have to be extremely talented and have a extremely distinctive style for me to welcome them. I just hope whoever fills in Kozaki’s shoe doesn’t turn Fire Emblem’s characters into whatever happened to Xenoblade Chronicles 2...

Edited by thanny

9 hours ago, thanny said:

Kozaki is probably one of my favorite artists in gaming history, and his art for the characters is one of the main contributing factors attracting me to Fire Emblem: Awakening.

I’d really like Kozaki to stay for more future entries of Fire Emblem characters not just because I’m biased towards his art, but looking back at previous games, the art styles were extremely similar to other old school anime medium around the time and didn’t feel and make Fire Emblem distinctive enough to let’s say, Studio Ghibli.

Kozaki takes a break from the ‘typical anime style’ trope and draws the characters in a much more anatomically realistic and correct style that made Fire Emblem much more distinctive and differentiates it from other art styles.

Of course all of the above is just my personal opinion, and anything can change at any given moment of time. So if he sadly gets replaced, I have high expectations from the artist, they would have to be extremely talented and have a extremely distinctive style for me to welcome them. I just hope whoever fills in Kozaki’s shoe doesn’t turn Fire Emblem’s characters into whatever happened to Xenoblade Chronicles 2...

i am sorry but i dont see it...

Studio gible its distinct because its not your typical popular anime style.. its not conventionally pretty.. some can even find it unattractive... its the same case with One Piece that interestingly some people also find unattractive...

Kozaki's style is typical anime style and definitely not dinstict .... i like his art and he has brought many great character designs but i wouldnt call it dinstict.. i also dont see the anatomy difference with other FE games...

An artist ahs already filled for kozaki for the echoes games and everyone praises the characters designs... whats your opinion on hidari? 

Edited by Pegasus Knight

Yeah. While it's likely a matter of perspective, I also see Kozaki as generally being MORE anime than most previous artists. His tendency to overdesign characters and use insanely improbable/impractical outfits being major red-flags of anime designs. 

I also don't really get the "anatomically proportional" bit. Yeah, his eyes are more proportional, but half of the females in the army have tits that are bigger than their heads, which is another anime thing. 

So take your pick. For my money, I'd rather go back to slightly oversized eyes, but simple hair and more practical designs than huge tits and belts/metal everywhere. 

Edited by Slumber

I would love to see Hideri back after Echoes had downright beautiful art but I'd be fine with PoR/RD's designer as well (even though RD had some weird portraits).

Not a big fan of Kozaki, while he can make some good art, his art in Awakening and Fates remind me too much of modern anime.