Looks like no dual audio

Strange, nothing like that is the NoA direct. "Every line of dialogue has been fully voiced." is missing from that direct. I doubt that would mean that we get dual audio here in the states, but it is strange nonetheless.

14 minutes ago, JasonMendez said:

Strange, nothing like that is the NoA direct. "Every line of dialogue has been fully voiced." is missing from that direct. I doubt that would mean that we get dual audio here in the states, but it is strange nonetheless.

that is strange, I found that text in the uk's direct.

Edited by RobbieRotten

It was probably inserted so that french, spanish, german, ect. 3ds owners don't expect voice acting in their languages (i would guess that all european 3ds's share the same region lock code). I don't know if that implies anything about the japanese voiceover.

It really makes it a mystery to me about how fast they were able to translate it and already dub it. I'm amazed with IS's efficiency with this game. I hope we can get some English footage soon to make it easier to pair names as well as hear some of the VA.

2 hours ago, sirmola said:

It was probably inserted so that french, spanish, german, ect. 3ds owners don't expect voice acting in their languages (i would guess that all european 3ds's share the same region lock code). I don't know if that implies anything about the japanese voiceover.

This makes the most sense. However, it's kinda vague and could cause confusion. Don't want misinformation spreading now (or ever in general).

I do know there are some people who just prefer the original Japanese voices, but I don't really see a purpose in it. It doesn't really add much, but I do understand that some find the English voice acting to be poorly done and somewhat annoying, but I honestly find hearing the Japanese voices with English text to be jarring and just as annoying, so I don't ever use it. So, in the end, I really don't mind there not being Dual Audio, but I understand why people like it.

I also think I read somewhere that it's difficult for Nintendo of America to get the permission to use the Japanese voice actors, so it doesn't surprise me that they don't have it in Echoes.

On 1/20/2017 at 10:19 AM, DeoxyRibose said:

I also think I read somewhere that it's difficult for Nintendo of America to get the permission to use the Japanese voice actors, so it doesn't surprise me that they don't have it in Echoes.

This is likely the biggest reason, especially for the case of Fire Emblem Fates (due to licensing and all that stuff especially in regards to the Japanese version of Lost in Thoughts All Alone). Heck, even the English dub of the Pokemon anime couldn't always put in all of the BGM (as in even soundtracks that don't have lyrics to begin with) that was heard in the JP version and had to make due with original music just because of licensing.

There may be a bigger localization team due to the 3DS FE games' success or that there isn't as much dialogue for Shadows of Valentia than when compared to Awakening or Fates; the first few Fire Emblem games certainly didn't have much dialogue (since mainly plot-important characters have a good amount of dialogue if at all and support conversations don't exist in those games). And chances are good that Shadows of Valentia wouldn't have a playable player avatar.

On 1/20/2017 at 3:04 AM, Dandy Druid said:

It really makes it a mystery to me about how fast they were able to translate it and already dub it. I'm amazed with IS's efficiency with this game. I hope we can get some English footage soon to make it easier to pair names as well as hear some of the VA.

If they had a side team begin it after Fates' development began winding down, that's two years of development; they've already got a functional engine and a base to work off of. I don't think was done particularly fast at all.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/7/2017 at 7:06 PM, L9999 said:

Why are people so obsessed over dual audio? 

1. If the English voice acting is bad, people won't want to listen to it.

2. Some people enjoy hearing the Japanese voice acting, such as myself.

3. Sometimes the lines start to feel repetitive so it's nice to mix things up.

4. It just adds more customization options, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Edited by SuperIb

I'm always up for more options, in any kind of media.

As a side note, I find Japanese voice acting to be just as cringe-worthy as any other dub. For example, I had to immediately stop watching the Japanese Fates My Castle trailer as soon as Felicia started talking (did we even get an English version?). The high-pitched voices are the worst...

I'd love to hear regular voices in anime and games, honestly. You can get much more believable emotion, imo.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2017 at 1:33 AM, Slyfox said:

As a side note, I find Japanese voice acting to be just as cringe-worthy as any other dub. For example, I had to immediately stop watching the Japanese Fates My Castle trailer as soon as Felicia started talking (did we even get an English version?). The high-pitched voices are the worst...

I'd love to hear regular voices in anime and games, honestly. You can get much more believable emotion, imo.

I still prefer the Japanese VA. (I may be a bit biased because I live in Chile.) Honestly, I find the english dub...passable. Just that. After Playing for a while, it becomes kind of annoying. I absolutely HATED Felicia's Dub the most. I liked Hinata, Silas and Sakura's Dub though.

As for Echoes, I LOVED the JAP VAs. Celica's voice is amazing. I was so happy to hear Dio's voice in Saber, too. Alm's Voice is also great.I'm really praying to Naga and Anna for Dual Audio.

3 hours ago, bufkus said:

weeaboos.

Seriously. Do you need to bring that 'weeabo' thing here?

3 hours ago, bufkus said:

they still prefer to hear and see everything in japanese, despite having a native language that is not japanese.

I live in Chile, so the optimal language for me is Spanish. Sadly (or not. English is not a problem to me) Every game we receive here is the American version, and God...I hate Spanish Dubs too. I have a reason to believe English Dub is not good compared to the japanese. I don't live in America, so I'm not used to hear people talking in english. I really believe Japanese VA is taken more seriously than the English VA.

57 minutes ago, AsherCrane said:

Because sometimes, dubs are so bad even a language you don't speak is better. 

Well, my mother language is Spanish, so I never mind.

6 hours ago, bufkus said:

weeaboos. they still prefer to hear and see everything in japanese, despite having a native language that is not japanese.

If they were potentially hiring actors on the level of Orson Welles, then maybe I would enjoy the English performances more. As it stands, the current voice acting industry is so damn over the top in its hammy delivery and poor voice directing that I'd rather take a different language, be it French, Italian, or Japanese. The Witcher 3 in Polish is quite enjoyable, for example.

Don't use aggressive terminology to start fights with people, or you'll get the answers you weren't asking for.

I'm indifferent as Nintendo is actually hiring actors now that are well known in a positive light within the English dubbing industry, and most have years of experience behind them. The English vocal acting is quite good in Fates, but the lack of the dual option and the vast difference in vocal cadence for some of the characters puts lots of people off.... and the writing changes, which is another beast.

Felicia is quite jarring, but I recall complaints on Sakura, Hinoka, Marx/Xander, Pieri/Peri, Elfie/Effie, and Camilla, too. Particularly, girls with that "moe" vocal quirk of giving ladies soprano-pitched voices to imply youth and innocence, was completely dropped. The trope tends to fall completely flat to English speakers since western media instead equate sqeaky voices with annoying girls, not cute girls.

That said, I absolutely understand the preference for the original voice actors. You only need to take into account that these were the actors chosen by the original creative team to see a valid reason to include them. That implies a certain purity that is obviously lost upon localization, even if said localization is a necessary evil in the process of importing.

Honestly, it's rarely a matter of the quality of the acting itself in new games/anime as it's really not a giant leap of quality in between languages anymore, but what can you do.

Edited by Altrosa
Spelling and wording

There's another thing for English dubs -- if it's the voice actor's first time providing the voice for a character, the director more often than not would provide very little information on the character the actor is voicing. This is likely to prevent media leaks (since leaking out information like what character the actor is voicing can be a breach of contract).