Storyline Speculation (now with character wishlist)

Jayvee94

Would it be nice if the protagonist's group start as mercenaries (with a side of merchants)?  It would make the storyline expandable. DLC chapters would make sense.

I'm also hoping for character focused downloadable Gaidens.

Would the protagonist be secretly a noble?

Edited by Jayvee94

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After Fates, I really don't want to expect or even speculate anything regarding the storyline anymore. But if you asked me what I personally want, then either:

1. A story focused on the life of commoners and how the wars affect their lives (royals/nobles can exist for the sake of gameplay and politics but are not the main characters). This is a perspective I believe has been occasionally touched on, but never fully expanded upon in FE's history.

2. A story focused on a protagonist who has/had a shady background (like being an assassin or a bandit for example), and/or being morally ambiguous if not downright evil, but gradually grow into a better and caring person as they're caught in the conflicts and have to make new allies. However, at some point their past deeds would come back to haunt them, with a lot of people hating and wanting to kill them in revenge, including some of their allies once they learn more about them.

3. A protagonist who is a spy sent to infiltrate the enemy kingdom and was initially disdainful towards it. However as time passes by their bond with the people in that kingdom will grow and they may as well fall in love with someone (yay, more waifu!). Naturally they'll be torn between both countries when a full-on war happens. A lot of potentials that could be expanded from this basis. We might've had some spy characters in the past before (Nasir, Katarina etc.) but they're not the protagonist. Tbh this is how I want them to handle (spoiler) the Kaze situation in Conquest, but alas...

4. A protagonist who is a royal (and the rightful heir to the throne) but doesn't know of their heritage and was raised as a commoner to avoid assassination or something. Kinda like Shiro but no Deeprealms BS.

......buuuuuut like I said, I wouldn't hold any breath and don't trust IS one bit when it comes to the story so I'm preparing for the worst of the worst.

Edited by Ryo

39 minutes ago, Ryo said:

4. A protagonist who is a royal (and the rightful heir to the throne) but doesn't know of their heritage and was raised as a commoner to avoid assassination or something. Kinda like Shiro but no Deeprealms BS.

So basically Lyndis?

13 minutes ago, NickV said:

So basically Lyndis?

I've only read FE7's general story but my impression is that Lyn was a main character but overall it's still Eliwood's story and the plot doesn't do much with her to make use of her background.

Turn the Mahabharatta into an FE game.

It would be a perfect fit.

If you want a serious answer, i really want a game with a more arrogant Lord, it woulf be an interesting idea to explore a Lord whose flaws come from his own arrogance rather than the typical "He is too naïve" thing that most normal FE Lords have.

Edited by OakTree

2 hours ago, Ryo said:

I've only read FE7's general story but my impression is that Lyn was a main character but overall it's still Eliwood's story and the plot doesn't do much with her to make use of her background.

Lyn mode is basically her learning about her noble blood and dethroning a usurper to her rightful inheritance. 

2 hours ago, Rezzy said:

Lyn mode is basically her learning about her noble blood and dethroning a usurper to her rightful inheritance. 

I see. Though I want that to be done in a larger scale with more drama, and more importantly is the main focus of the whole story.

6 hours ago, Ryo said:

This is basically one of the three main characters of my main fic, though he's not actually the lord, so I'd be cool with this!

I'm hoping the game revolves around a female lord that has no male ones taking or sharing her spotlight. This is probably one of the reasons I have yet to like a female lord in this series. They're all boring or badly written to me.

I'd also like it if she had red hair, but not like Celica's. More RED red, not pink-red. Dark red would be nice.

I know, I'm basically describing my fic's lord, but why wouldn't I have used these preferences to create her in the first place? lol

And I just want a story that's as good as PoR's, that's all.

2 hours ago, Ryo said:

I see. Though I want that to be done in a larger scale with more drama, and more importantly is the main focus of the whole story.

Arguably Path of Radiance is a bit like this with Elincia.  She is royal and knew she was, but she had been disinherited to avoid a power struggle, since her uncle has already been named successor before she was born, then once the rest of the royal family is wiped out, she goes on a journey to reclaim her country.

You also have the only nonnoble, mercenary lead in Ike.

15 hours ago, OakTree said:

If you want a serious answer, i really want a game with a more arrogant Lord, it woulf be an interesting idea to explore a Lord whose flaws come from his own arrogance rather than the typical "He is too naïve" thing that most normal FE Lords have.

I always wanted that as well, and it would be a nice change of pace. It would also be completely justified if the main character were royalty that grew with a silver spoon in his mouth. A character arc for them would pretty much write itself, even when combined with an incredibly basic plot scenario.

I really love FE4's story, so I would like something that has the same kind of epic feel. I don't necessarily think they need the generational thing, that's been run into the ground enough with the past few games, but the political manipulation and grand scale of the story are mainly what I'm looking for. One of the things I really like about FE4's story is how the conflicts, for the most part, are completely human based, making it a bit more grounded in realism, or at least comparatively. It didn't feel like high fantasy, it felt more like war. Again, that could be just me, but I personally would love a return to a story that doesn't pull any punches.

I would love to see a FE where we start as a small vassal for the Empire and as we help vanquish Bandits and then we get drawn into Imperial politics where we can play the game of thrones or go out like Sigurd/ Eddard Stark. 

Hostile country attacks a not hostile country for resources and nearly destroys it, a lone prince/ss and his/her retainers build an army and drives them out of the country, then takes the fight to the hostile country's doorstep. Along the way they find out the hostile country's leader was influenced by an EVIL DRAGON who literally ate the hostile country's resources, and has done so to a few other nations and plans to destroy the world by eating everything. So our heroes stop the EVIL DRAGON.

Set in modern times

A scenario similar to the beginning of the fall of the Roman Empire would be pretty good from either the barbarians' point of view or the Romans' point of view.

As a barbarian chieftain you move to greener pastures because the conditions in your homeland are deteriorating.  Enemy tribes are moving on you and the Huns are on your tail.  Unfortunately, greener pastures are within the border of the decadent empire which already struggles to keep itself from falling into shambles.  You can decide to plunder and raid or you can work for the empire in protecting its borders (read: slaughtering other fellow barbarians).   It will reach breaking point and depending on your decisions, the characters in your army will consist of mainly barbarians or mainly imperials. 

I just realized I wrote myself into a scenario a little too similar to Ch 6 of Fates, but I cannot see a 3rd option that would make sense.  Go full Hun or take the fight to the Huns with a united barbarian-Roman front?  Seems impossible to do.

The Lord of the game, along with some of his retainers (i.e. Avatar Character), are training along the country side. Bandits come in, easy victory ensues, a messenger comes along tells the Lord something happened at the capital, Lord rushes onward...

...to multiple battles with Bandits and eventually his own country's Soldiers leading to them discovering a coup for the throne. Unfortunately the coup succeeds, the King is dead, the Lord is framed.

The Lord escapes, travels around the neighboring countries slowly gaining troops and aid from other rulers. The Lord charges for the capital, the Avatar dies protecting the Lord.

The Lord becomes king of a country who believes him to be a mad man thirsting for power, rebellions happen.

Epilogue: The instability of the nation causes it to burn from the inside leaving to the very nations that aided the now King taking land as their own.

Maybe a part 2 about how the descendants trying to restore said country years, if not decades later. This is just to add child units who have some story significance that doesn't involved multiverse.

Also skinship greatly affects which nations will aid you.     

Not sure, but I do want to see an enemy other than a Dragon for the end boss. Every recent game from Fire Emblem has been a dragon end boss. Something different would nice. Human, Demon, Undead, something other than dragons. I get it, Dragons are a key thing to the Fantasy Genre, but even Dragonlance, a series dedicated to Dragons, had different enemies than just Dragons.

Now let's go in depth with the story. With a few characters we want for this game.

A stage magician who has a thief class. Not an thief by profession. With stats hinting to prefer a combat medic promotion

Characters who join as a "human" class, but can be reclassed as a shapeshifter.

A villain driven by madness who wants to drive "inferior" races to extinction (this will feel too close to home).

A recurring Messiah-like character who would would function as Gotoh.

Feel free to add more

A villain in one "grey" country who feels war is necessary (liberating allied city states)

A corrupt church (with good publicity) who assassinated the majority of a house (who vocally opposed them) forcing the survivors to flee and go into hiding.

A fighting chef with quirky but loveable personality (I want her to be the hero's mother) (possibly a noble, we don't know)

• 2 weeks later...

Not a wishlist, but I'll speculate on story things I expect at this point:

-The evil nation will be the one with Wyverns as a counterpoint to your "good" pegasus riders. Cannot think of a game where they didn't do this, besides Gaiden which had no wyverns. 

-Chapter 1 involves brigands terrorizing a village.

-Recruitable Bikini Dark Mage girls are here to stay.

-No story based promotion, lord(s) will promote with master seal.

-Multiple fake outs with character deaths. Because nobody dies in Fire Emblem.

-Main character is of royal birth, whether they know it or not at the beginning of the story.

-The "Fire Emblem" will be a plot macguffin revealed halfway through the game after it's stolen from the heroes by the villain.

-The Villain is a royal or noble being manipulated to resurrect an ancient evil to destroy the world.

-If kids show up, they will re-use the deeprealms concept, making our units officially the most irresponsible, neglecting parents of all time once again.

-The kids would probably be used to re-adopt character quirks and appearances from Fates characters. One acts perfect like Subaki. Another is unlucky like Arthur. Etc.

-There will be one or several returning characters from a previous Fire Emblem. Even if the game takes place in a completely new world. Probably a kid from Fates since most of the gen 1s from Fates are royals or their retainers who don't have time for dimension hopping.

I hate to sound like a pest, but I'm rarely optimistic about story writing in Fire Emblem games. I'll probably be pretty excited about new story details since they can only go up in quality!

2 hours ago, Gustavos said:

If kids show up, they will re-use the deeprealms concept, making our units officially the most irresponsible, neglecting parents of all time once again.

I agree with everything on this list EXCEPT for reusing the deeprealms concept, as it really seems like that only happened because they did not want to reuse the plot from Awakening.

This isn't anything story related, but I'm pretty confident that the Switch title will be a third Tellius game. For one, thanks to Ike's popularity in Smash it would be an easy option. Second, the last two console FE's were the Tellius games, so it wouldn't be surprising if they decided to continue the series. There's one major flaw in this, and that is simply that most people either haven't played the Tellius games, or they don't have the money because they are really expensive. But with Gamecube virtual console a possibility for the Switch, and the Wii virtual console already growing, Nintendo might make the move to release both Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn on the eShop in the near future. 

I would like to see how the hero tries to avoid making any wars and keeps reviving those killed until it comes to the point that he must face the sad reality of it. Atleast that's my suggestion of how to make an interesting story.

Whatever IS does, I hope they don't approve of the first draft like how they did for Fates or don't make another three separate path thing like Fates..I mean, I'm fine with that but I know a lot of people aren't and would most likely bash FE as a whole because of the three path thing.

On 1/20/2017 at 2:09 AM, Ryo said:

After Fates, I really don't want to expect or even speculate anything regarding the storyline anymore. But if you asked me what I personally want, then either:

1. A story focused on the life of commoners and how the wars affect their lives (royals/nobles can exist for the sake of gameplay and politics but are not the main characters). This is a perspective I believe has been occasionally touched on, but never fully expanded upon in FE's history.

2. A story focused on a protagonist who has/had a shady background (like being an assassin or a bandit for example), and/or being morally ambiguous if not downright evil, but gradually grow into a better and caring person as they're caught in the conflicts and have to make new allies. However, at some point their past deeds would come back to haunt them, with a lot of people hating and wanting to kill them in revenge, including some of their allies once they learn more about them.

3. A protagonist who is a spy sent to infiltrate the enemy kingdom and was initially disdainful towards it. However as time passes by their bond with the people in that kingdom will grow and they may as well fall in love with someone (yay, more waifu!). Naturally they'll be torn between both countries when a full-on war happens. A lot of potentials that could be expanded from this basis. We might've had some spy characters in the past before (Nasir, Katarina etc.) but they're not the protagonist. Tbh this is how I want them to handle (spoiler) the Kaze situation in Conquest, but alas...

......buuuuuut like I said, I wouldn't hold any breath and don't trust IS one bit when it comes to the story so I'm preparing for the worst of the worst.

For FE games with those themes (that I wouldn't mind returning, here's some examples:

For 1.) FE10's first part focused a lot on that particular theme. FE4's Second Generation (only if you do a 'substitute run') also has that theme present (but it's not the focus in this title).

For 2.) No FE has been like that. There have been some good guys that gradually became more corrupted in this series, so we have the inverse in a lot of the games though.

For 3.) Same as 2- it would be fresh in the series and only antagonists or side characters have played a similar role.

For 4.) 

Spoiler

FE2- Alm

FE7- Lyndis

FE10- Micaiah 

FE13- Robin

And then there's also side characters that didn't know they were royalty, but I don't feel like remembering them atm. There's not much more though.

On 1/20/2017 at 5:44 AM, OakTree said:

Turn the Mahabharatta into an FE game.

It would be a perfect fit.

Luke from tales of the Abyss like character.