Lost track of the numbering

Mega-Japan

I was always against giving Shadow Dragon and New Mystery numbers. I can't think of any other series that gave remakes numbers like that. And now that we have (apparently) have a sub-series dedicated to remakes, it makes numbering the games super confusing.

I don't imagine Heroes and Warriors will count as numbered titles, as they're spin-offs. So if Echoes is it's own thing, then it also won't be numbered, and FE15 will be the Switch game.

Edited by Slumber

Shadow Dragon and New Mystery brought a lot of new things to the table, so I'm fine with recognizing them as their own entity.

It looks like Echoes is going to go the Shadow Dragon route (keep most of the story, while changing significant gameplay things), so I wouldn't be surprised if Echoes turns into FE15.

We had this topic in the Echoes sub-forum, so I'll just echo my thoughts. (Sorry for the pun.)

Internally, Shadow Dragon and New Mystery of the Emblem are known as FE11 and FE12. For example, when you check the game code.

However, between the release of New Mystery and Awakening, there was the 20th Anniversary of Fire Emblem and Intelligent Systems suddenly remembered that BS Fire Emblem exists--and even odder, seemed to count it as a fully numbered title, hence making Awakening FE14 internally.

From there, I don't believe there was a way to check the internal numbering for Fates, so it could be anything. Most likely FE15 for all three versions.

By this time, I've stopped using the numbering system for a year or so. I believe all of my recent articles and game pages don't refer to the numbering. Old pages will still have references though, since I'm a busy and lazy guy : P

38 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Shadow Dragon and New Mystery brought a lot of new things to the table, so I'm fine with recognizing them as their own entity.

That and they were the "new" FE games when released.

I suspect the older games may still occasionally be referred to by their numbers, but for newer games people will probably drop the numbers. Not only is it getting awkward with the four coming out, but with Fates technically being three games already.

I agree the remakes shouldn't have been numbered to begin with, but since the precedent has been set, I think we should be consistant.

Should we combine this with the other topic?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2017 at 1:07 PM, VincentASM said:

From there, I don't believe there was a way to check the internal numbering for Fates, so it could be anything. Most likely FE15 for all three versions.

The game internally refers to itself as "Iron15."

4 hours ago, SciresM said:

The game internally refers to itself as "Iron15."

Thanks. OH, that sounds really familiar. I just couldn't find the reference again XD

Great, that's one thing solved.

Also, I can't remember if it was Awakening or Fates, but I recall seeing "quartz" somewhere too. Maybe in the DLC or the sound files. Thought it was cute.

3 hours ago, VincentASM said:

Thanks. OH, that sounds really familiar. I just couldn't find the reference again XD

Great, that's one thing solved.

Also, I can't remember if it was Awakening or Fates, but I recall seeing "quartz" somewhere too. Maybe in the DLC or the sound files. Thought it was cute.

Yeah, Awakening.

If/Fates use the process name "Iron15", and internally codename as "Iron15" (Iron15_Sound in the romfs, etc).

Awakening uses the process name "quartz", and internally codenames as "14Iron" (14Iron in all the same places If/Fates use Iron15).

This is only sort of relevant but I'm slightly annoyed the main site uses the subtitle for all games until Fates onwards where 'Fire Emblem' is also in the title. What I mean, is this:

fhJDVwh.png

I would suggest just calling them 'Fates', 'Shadows of Valentia', 'Heroes' and 'Warriors.' I understand why the Switch game is titled as it is but for the others it's annoying. I know this is a nitpick but still.

Edited by Ranger Jack Walker

4 hours ago, Ranger Jack Walker said:

This is only sort of relevant but I'm slightly annoyed the main site uses the subtitle for all games until Fates onwards where 'Fire Emblem' is also in the title. What I mean, is this:

fhJDVwh.png

I would suggest just calling them 'Fates', 'Shadows of Valentia', 'Heroes' and 'Warriors.' I understand why the Switch game is titled as it is but for the others it's annoying. I know this is a nitpick but still.

Agreed.

Maybe it'd be more clear if there were a divider between the "core games" and the spin-offs. (And maybe a second before the TRS Series, since they're reeeeally separate from FE?)

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2017 at 2:03 AM, Aethin said:

Maybe it'd be more clear if there were a divider between the "core games" and the spin-offs. (And maybe a second before the TRS Series, since they're reeeeally separate from FE?)

The distinction isn't even entirely clear in and of itself what IS is counting as a spinoff at this point; do they consider remakes their own thing now? BSFE has an off and on relationship with being considered a core game. Is Heroes considered core by IS's standards?

theres too many questions and given the canonical connection between most of them I don't think we have any definitive pointers to sort them aside from maybe the TRS games. I'd suggest doing order of release for ALL games, including TMS, followed by a divided place for TRS. Cipher is a bit trickier since it's ongoing; we can perhaps put it at the end of the list due to the reasoning it will include characters from Echoes and other games in the future.

we could divide them by console or storyarc perhaps, such as dividing the first three games, then the two Jugdral games, then the GBA games, then Tellius, and so on.

Edited by Hero of the Fire Emblems