• Laslow
    • Soleil
    • Flavia
    • Priam
    • Say'ri
    • Yen'fay
    • Ryoma
    • I don't know

Mercenaries are all-around units- they tend to have solid numbers across the board, with individual mercenaries favouring some stats. They use Swords, and learn Axes on promotion.

Myrmidons eschew Strength and Defence in favour of Skill and Speed. They like to do multiple attacks that might just deal triple damage, but they lack staying power and the ability to pierce tough armour. They promote into Swordmasters, and gain heightened Critical Hit rate.

I was planning on this being daily, but something weird happened when I tried doing Cavalier yesterday. Worth noting: even though this combines two classes, Cavalier still has more. And I lost all that work.

Cavalier will be a long time incoming.

(Mercenary and Myrmidon are combined because of Navarre and friends, who switch from former to latter between Dark Dragon and Shadow Dragon.)

EDIT: added 'I don't know' options. Did not realise it forced you to answer all three questions.

Edited by phineas81707

Selena and Severa are the same person, as are Inigo and Lazlow. So why did you put them on twice?

Also, Edward for veteran, Owain and his sword hand for modern.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

1 hour ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Selena and Severa are the same person, as are Inigo and Lazlow. So why did you put them on twice?

Also, Edward for veteran, Owain and his sword hand for modern.

I'm not exactly up-to-date on my Modern FE (my only experience being watching a Pre-Fates LP of Awakening that left me MORE confused about who's who), so forgive me if the Modern poll has mistakes. If they'll occur, it'll be there or in the Classic era's finding-its-feet class names.

(I also thought Owain had one, but he'll be somewhere else, so...)

Mareeta for classic. Very good unit in a very tough game.

Raven for veteran, because I have a soft spot for hilariously edgy anti-heroes.

Gregor for modern, because Gregor is Gregor. Is very strong, yes?

Obviously, I tend to prefer mercenaries. Can't say I have any really strong feelings towards myrmidons. I feel that they've gotten worse as time has gone on(Up until Awakening where they were "fixed", but still not an ideal class IMO), and they're effectively worthless in the "veteran" era. Joshua, Mia and Zihark are still cool, but I hate using them.

Edited by Slumber

Don't know for classic, Zihark for veteran, Soleil for modern. Overall, I think myrmidons, for the most part, seemed to get worse as the series moved on *looks at the modern era, other than possibly Awakening*.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

for Classic, I'll say Ogma, though HM to Navarre and Astram, but Ogma was always there when I needed him and held down a valuable point in shadow dragons endgame despite being underleveled. for veteran without a doubt Gerik, he's way too good as a hero, though HM to Marisa and Joshua as well for being kinda good units. Modern gave me the most trouble, as I do like Lonqu, Owain, Severa, Inigo, Soleil, Ryoma, Hana and somewhat Say'ri. But of them I chose Severa, no matter what playthrough she is always good, even being an under-leveled hero she carries the day, toss in galeforce and her overall great utility and that's a great unit (while Owain and Inigo could match her, she shined first of the trio for me)

Navarre, Mia and Selena for me. The aura of danger that surrounds the first one is something that won him a deployment slot on my team since the first time I saw him in FE11, and he's a very good unit in both FE11 and 12 (no idea about 1 and 3)... Ayra is a very close contender for my favourite Myrmidon of all time though. Mia's design is also great in my opinion and I quite like her personality, but I already regret not voting Joshua. It's a close call.

Selena on the other hand wins no contest, and not Severa: her niche of being a both speedy and durable unit with some issues as far as offense is concerned is something I had always wanted; I also feel she's a tsundere done right,and having red hair gives her points.

Because you decided Mercs and Myrmidons needed to be together:

Ogma, because his backstory's actually pretty good and he's a great unit all the time. Honourable mentions? Navarre, Ayra, Hoyln, Lackhe, Skashaha (Ulster), Shanan, Mareeta, Eyvale, Galzus.... There's a lot of options here, and I'd probably say Mareeta's the closest.

Joshua, because he's fun and very good. The honourable mentions here are Gerik (Pretty chill for a merc leader), Echidna (Actually useful Prepromote not using staves?), Dieck/Rutger (aka. We swear we're not Ogma and Navarre), Raven (Definitely Gameplay), Harken (Background and being a good backup unit)

Gregor is cool cucumber. His sole competition is stuck on about the same thing for all his female convos, and that sthick got old to be honest. Lon'qu is still powerful much as they just gave Navarre a backstory and a hairdye and pushed him through time (:P). Flavia's also alright character wise, but in game she's not too relevant.

For classic, Ayra, just... Ayra.
Navarre is cool, but Ayra surpassed him, alas.

Veteran: Stefan. Mystery, power. A cheerful and curious face who hide a deeply cynical, yet, hopeful, personality. But damn, it's always a pain to find him.
Karel's cool too !
EDIT: Oh crap, almost forgot about Joshua ! He's cool too !

Modern: Lel. The best one is the only good one, that's Ryouma. Be it stat wise. or writing wise. (not saying much, and it's just my opinion.) But still, dat def and dat Raijinken.
Who needs Hana the glass canon, when you have Ryouma the diamond canon ?

Edited by B.Leu

14 minutes ago, B.Leu said:

Who needs Hana the glass canon, when you have Ryouma the diamond canon ?

Bold: Nice oxymoron there. That implies that Ryoma can shrug off whatever hits he takes... which he generally can't once promoted enemies enter the picture.

In my save, Ryouma can pretty much shrug off almost everything with spd or def, despite having Life of Deah and Quixotic.When he can't, there is Vantage. He have the HPs to back it up. It's kind of crazy to see, maybe I'm just RNG blessed.

That said, I meant it comparatively to other Swordmasters, Hence, my example with Hana.

Edited by B.Leu

On Birthright 23, Ryoma had 41 HP. A Paladin hit him for 21 damage, meaning vantage would proc. I hadn't anticipated the hit, and was afraid that he would go down in the enemy phase with a couple Paladins and Berserkers in range of him.
He then proceeded to get three crits and one Astra off of Vantage, killing everyone around him before they got a chance to retaliate.

So yeah, he's easily the most insane of this class (from my personal experience).

2 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

On Birthright 23, Ryoma had 41 HP. A Paladin hit him for 21 damage, meaning vantage would proc. I hadn't anticipated the hit, and was afraid that he would go down in the enemy phase with a couple Paladins and Berserkers in range of him.
He then proceeded to get three crits and one Astra off of Vantage, killing everyone around him before they got a chance to retaliate.

So yeah, he's easily the most insane of this class (from my personal experience).

Oh boy, I'll have stories to tell about miracle suvivals when we get to pegasus knights.

1 hour ago, B.Leu said:

In my save, Ryouma can pretty much shrug off almost everything with spd or def, despite having Life of Deah and Quixotic.When he can't, there is Vantage. He have the HPs to back it up. It's kind of crazy to see, maybe I'm just RNG blessed.

That said, I meant it comparatively to other Swordmasters, Hence, my example with Hana.

Two bad skills and an iffy, verging on bad, third don't make a right... Anyways, I'd say a swordmaster really worth calling a diamond cannon is about as rare as hen's teeth.

4 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Two bad skills and an iffy, verging on bad, third don't make a right... Anyways, I'd say a swordmaster really worth calling a diamond cannon is about as rare as hen's teeth.

After the splitting of Mercenary/Hero and Swordmaster classes, the only ones that come to mind with good defense on top of great offense are Trewd and Shiva.

Edited by Slumber

1 hour ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

'Two bad skills' ? 'An iffy verging on bad third' ? Erm, no offence, but I beg to differ. Especially when I can pretty much skip the ennemy turn since they'll just stupidly charge on him, since they'll only do scratch damage even with Life or Death, Vantage is sure to activate and since Ryouma have +10 damage (Life or Death), high critical rate (S rank and high skill), high skill activation (Quixotic and high skils), then Ryouma is pretty sure to oneshot everything.

Those skills are very powerful, and if used proprely, broken. Since when are they considered bad ?

1 hour ago, B.Leu said:

'Two bad skills' ? 'An iffy verging on bad third' ? Erm, no offence, but I beg to differ. Especially when I can pretty much skip the ennemy turn since they'll just stupidly charge on him, since they'll only do scratch damage even with Life or Death, Vantage is sure to activate and since Ryouma have +10 damage (Life or Death), high critical rate (S rank and high skill), high skill activation (Quixotic and high skils), then Ryouma is pretty sure to oneshot everything.

Those skills are very powerful, and if used proprely, broken. Since when are they considered bad ?

Which is reckless as all hell - are you telling me you're ok with taking wild chances with your units? Because that's the vibe I'm getting, and I'm not okay with playing Russian Roulette like that, ESPECIALLY when one bad roll means your unit dies, and you have to restart. After all, crits and Astra are unreliable, no matter which way you slice it.

do you hate Ryoma so much that you have to rip into him every time someone praise him 

Putting aside our usual disagreements on his performance for a second, this is a "who's your favorite of x class" thread, not an objective performance debate thread. If someone has Ryoma consistently come across as the Diamond Lobster then let them have their fun, do you really need to debate it every single time

2 hours ago, Thor Odinson said:

do you hate Ryoma so much that you have to rip into him every time someone praise him 

Putting aside our usual disagreements on his performance for a second, this is a "who's your favorite of x class" thread, not an objective performance debate thread. If someone has Ryoma consistently come across as the Diamond Lobster then let them have their fun, do you really need to debate it every single time

Maybe

but more to the point, I hate people trying to senselessly hype something even more - after all, this ain't GBA, where I could easily get away with mindlessly throwing someone in the middle of an enemy regiment and expecting most of them to die because the enemies were trash, and it doesn't help matters that evade ain't nearly as reliable in Fates as it was in past games.