Should Echoes have a "newcomer mode"?

Should Echoes have a "newcomer mode"?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. A completely optional mode that add children, marriage, weapon triangle, new classes and characters, etc...?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure

As in, they could have a "original mode" where it's just gaiden with updated graphics and music. They could also have a "newcomer mode" that has everything awakening and fates had. I see giving players the option to choose could satisfy all fans.

I'm just worried that if they completely go in the direction classic fans want then the games will sell horribly again.

No because this is for Classic fans and to see if the new audience might like the ideas. We are still getting 3 other FE games, a tumble now wouldn't hurt IS that much considering how much bank they made off Awakening & Fates. 

Lets just hope this Echoes does well so we have more (Echoes games) of them in the future, but lets not pander and remove everything about said game in the process. IS can take some potential risks now that FE is massively successful it's basically the 4th biggest Nintendo franchise right now behind Mario, Zelda and Pokemon. They are pushing it big time. 

FE Switch will likely be more akin to Awakening and Fates anyways.

Edited by Jedi

I wouldn't be surprised if they added Casual mode but I really doubt they will put in all those features. They would need to completely rebalance the game depending on which one you chose (providing they are actually going to rebalance this game...) So, my thoughts are no, the shouldn't. 

EDIT: They might add the weapon triangle too. Basically, the core mechanics may be put in but newer features (like marriage and children) are unlikely. 

Edited by Elementia

This would be... interesting to say the least. My answer is "not sure", but I'm more directed towards "no" actually.

I wouldn't mind if they add Casual Mode (veterans can simply ignore it, as usual), as for all the other features it is a bit different. I mean, if Supports are present in the game, I would like to enjoy them even if I choose Classic Mode, they shouldn't be left out. Same with new classes. It could be ok with the weapon triangle, though.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to seeing how they will manage gameplay.

Edited by Pikappa93

Remind the newcomer mode was introduced in FE12, the remake of FE3.

The only point who can make this complicated is the fact you can resurrect your units in FE2, but as it's limited...

How about just adding casual mode, supports that don't lead into marriage and children and lastly the classic weapon/magic triangle? Would you guys like that or would that distance itself too much from the original gaiden?

Why would including children even be an option? Every time there ever were children, they were always kept in mind when developing both the game and story. In FE4, we had a proper time skip; Awakening had future kids time travelling to the present; Fates had potential for FE4's formula with the entire Lost in the Waves DLC (with a little tweak, it could of, but unfortunately didnt) but instead went with unusual birthing with hyperbolic time passage to put em in the army. To even attempt to include that would pretty much retcon Gaiden's entire canon story, as,unlike the 3DS games before it, its story was never built around it.

Likewise, without child units, I don't see marriage making to be necessary either.

Really, the only thing worth keeping throughout is Casual Mode, and the weapon triangle (this is a staple), as it doesn't affect any game in any way, whatsoever. That is.... rather it WOULD be like that for most games. With resurrection being a thing..... I'm unsure how it'll work

I don't think we're at the stage anymore of fearing for sales, given that FE is no longer a niche series. FE has volume now, and with that volume, its much safer to deviate from the formula; which is what Gaiden was known for. "Modernizing" it to that degree would be a disservice

EDIT: @Dinar87 Of course, supports should be a thing. Its another feature that's been a staple since its inception, like the weapon triangle, which was the only bad point with Shadow Dragon, besides the x chapters.

Edited by Motendra

Casual mode I can see, this not so much.

If it doesn't do well you can expect not to see more remakes in some time, if it does then IS would probably feel more bold in deviating from the Awakening and Fates formula.

3 minutes ago, Motendra said:

Why would including children even be an option? Every time there ever were children, they were always kept in mind when developing both the game and story. In FE4, we had a proper time skip; Awakening had future kids time travelling to the present; Fates had potential for FE4's formula with the entire Lost in the Waves DLC (with a little tweak, it could of, but unfortunately didnt) but instead went with unusual birthing with hyperbolic time passage to put em in the army. To even attempt to include that would pretty much retcon Gaiden's entire canon story, as,unlike the 3DS games before it, its story was never built around it.

Likewise, without child units, I don't see marriage making to be necessary either.

Really, the only thing worth keeping throughout is Casual Mode, and the weapon triangle (this is a staple), as it doesn't affect any game in any way, whatsoever. That is.... rather it WOULD be like that for most games. With resurrection being a thing..... I'm unsure how it'll work

I don't think we're at the stage anymore of fearing for sales, given that FE is no longer a niche series. FE has volume now, and with that volume, its much safer to deviate from the formula; which is what Gaiden was known for. "Modernizing" it to that degree would be a disservice

EDIT: @Dinar87 Of course, supports should be a thing. Its another feature that's been a staple since its inception, like the weapon triangle, which was the only bad point with Shadow Dragon, besides the x chapters.

I see....so adding children would likely ruin the story of echoes and I wouldn't want that at all. When I said supports I meant basically awakening's system minus marriage and children. I think that's a fair compromise between catering to old fans while keeping it familiar enough to draw in new fans. In the end though, I just want echoes to sell like hotcakes like awakening and fates as it'd prove that it's worth it to IS to remake 4 and 5....and eventually my favorite games of all time.

I can see casual mode being in, which I don't mind, I like casual mode, but I don't see all them being added especially considering there are canon couples.

6 minutes ago, Blademaster! said:

Given that you can revive a certain amount of characters in Echoes, I wonder if casual mode would just give you an unlimited amount of revives instead.

This is very true actually. But they could easily just remove the reviving aspects of the lion statues in favour of having casual mode.

I feel like they would so they don't 'alienate' fans, which I'm sure their worry is with this game since it's so different.

Edited by Azz

I don't have anything about how it's for the old fans or something, I just don't see what the purpose of that would be. What you've described seems like an awful lot of effort to make into an optional mode

Anyway, kids who are accustomed only to the features of 13 and 14 are capable of adapting to different features if they wanted to play this one. We all have done that at some point

Lumping weapon triangle and children is kinda odd.

Weapon triangle is a classic feature of FE and one of the marks of this series. Also adding weapons and staves like long range magic and status staves (sleep, silence) are very possible.

All the other elements mainly exist since the 3DS generation.

There's really no point of adding children and marriages since the original game didn't have a second generation. Would be pretty stupid storywise if they really were added.

Casual mode, however, seems to be very relastic to me to introduce newcomers.

Edited by Eleanor Hume

FE2 shouldn't have marriage and children. Why? That wasn't what it was about. I'll be fine with supports, weapon triangle, and casual mode, but no marriage; which also means no avatar.

That honestly sounds like a horrible idea. Being able to enjoy an updated version of Gaiden that fixes the original's flaws and limitations should not be tied to pointless pandering in form of waifus and children.

17 minutes ago, Dinar87 said:

What's click bait about it?

Normally newcomer mode means casual mode and not all the stuff the OP listed so I assume that's what he means when he said the topic was clickbait.

15 minutes ago, Azz said:

Normally newcomer mode means casual mode and not all the stuff the OP listed so I assume that's what he means when he said the topic was clickbait.

In other words he meant misleading. Well I don't know if it's worth saying this but I never intended to mislead or provoke anyone here on serenes forest. I was legitimately curious how far IS could go with modernizing gaiden without pissing off the majority of veterans and I thought having an optional mode with everything fates had, that nobody even has to use, would be a good way of going about that. And it's not like the title was referring to casual mode only-kind of changes since "newcomer mode" is vague enough to cover all of what I listed.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I desperately want this remake to sell well and I just don't see that being so if things like supports and stuff aren't in the game. Since I want the game to sell well, IS needs to modernize a few things that could get in the way of that and I was wondering how much they could get away with.

EDIT: apparently newcomer mode is already a thing in new mystery of the emblem and I didn't know that. If possible, could my topic be renamed please?

Edited by Dinar87

Casual mode? Yes. Massive gameplay changes in that mode? No.

There's nothing wrong with FE games experimenting with different features. New characters and new classes are a given in any remake, but FE games certainly don't need marriage and children to succeed, and I don't think they need the weapon triangle either. We have a "regular"/"non-Echoes" game coming just a year after this, so that can be a time they stick more faithfully to current design conventions. There's no need to try to shove those same features into FE15 when it's not designed for it. (Weapon triangle could feasibly depend on mode like in FE10, but not children or other new characters.)

Weapon triangle and supports? Yes

Marriage and children? No

Especially the children, it's enough already. There's a limit of how much you can do with an idea. Awakening was okay but Fates was just terrible.

There's absolutely no way that we can bring children into Echoes without making bullshit out of this one

6 hours ago, Tryhard said:

Casual mode I can see, this not so much.

If it doesn't do well you can expect not to see more remakes in some time, if it does then IS would probably feel more bold in deviating from the Awakening and Fates formula.

This

But didn't Gaiden have character revival in the shrines.

As for supports I'd like to see them work like a mixture of PoR and Awakening. 

Honestly, I feel like this game SHOULDN'T have weapon triangle. Because would make lance users the best units, aside from early game..... if they want a new characters, sure go ahead. I'm fine with supports, and not that I have anything against marriage per se, but I don't see it working well in this game. Definitely a no on children.

I could see them adding casual mode, but this game does have shrines that can resurrect dead units. So I feel it can be somewhat redundant?