Your Gameplay Mechanics Theories

Folt

Basically, got any theories or predictions around the mechanics?

I for one have a couple theories in regards to elemental effects:

1. Fire: Gradual damage over time.
  2. Thunder: Chance of stunning grounded targets, leaving them vulnerable. If not, then something that'd give some AoE capabilities.
  3. Wind: Deal extra damage against airborne targets. Would be a very good element to have on jugglers.
  4. Dark: I don't think this will be the Hyrule Warriors effect, but I'm unsure about what to replace that with. Maybe the version that instantly KOs mooks and deals a percentage of damage against officers.
  5. Light: Unsure if this element will actually make an appearance. It could be unblockable attacks or chip damage on blocking targets, as I doubt it will be the Hyrule Warriors version.

Also, I don't think elemental weaknesses à la Hyrule Warriors will be the case for this game. They're likely gonna be glorified effects like they are in most Musou games.

I think Chrom will be the balanced everyman with good crowdclearing capabilities who's easy to use for beginners, a role usually fulfilled by a spear user in the Dynasty Warriors/Samurai Warriors series (and fulfilled by Link in Hyrule Warriors when he uses his initial weapon, and technically with the Master Sword too). Judging by the trailer, he likely uses the Thunder element. Lucina would probably use a moveset that's similiar to Chrom's, but with different strengths compared to Chrom and likely a different element. As for what that element is, I think it's gonna be whatever element that Marth gets.

Robin if he gets in will use the same element as Chrom. Possibly multiple elements but with Thunder as his main element.

- Weapon Triangle 

- Choosing a character's weapon before battle.

- Ordering generals

I believe the weapon triangle will affect how much damage a unit deals/takes, but only on enemy generals. I hope that you'll be able to change character's weapons like in Hyrule Warriors( you could have Chrom fight with a lance instead of a sword for a certain map). I also want the return of ordering generals to fight in selected areas to chose.

Incidentally, looking at Chrom's attacks again, he seems to execute a Charge Attack near the end of his string (the attack before the Musou). Looking at it, it seems to be a three-part attack, much like moves such as Midna's C3 (the one where she attacks with multiple wolves), with the uppercut slash being the first part, the multiple sword strikes being the second part, and the wide lightning slash being the final part. Counting the strikes before those, it looks like the attack is Chrom's C6 (YYYYYX), which is split into C6-1, C6-2 (YYYYYXX), and C6-3 (YYYYYXXX)

From that, I theorize that the movesets possibly be divided into moveset types like in Samurai Warriors, with Chrom using a moveset type that let's him extend his various charge attacks.

I'm expecting multiple playable characters to be selected for missions, opening the door for class based weaknesses. Let's say you had a team of Chrom, Xander, and Shiida. You may encounter a team of archers or ballistae in the distance which entice you to switch characters. Same for an enemy captain wielding a horseslayer or armorslayer. And while I realize this is also a roster prediction but I'm gonna guess playable characters will be based on recognizable FE classes, not so much lords, helping to make characters feel more diverse in ways that aren't just combos. Pegasus knight character can fly over terrain/empty space, archer character can command ballistae around the map, and paladin character can rescue npcs to carry them somewhere else for an objective. And of course, the Lord character seizes the throne.

4 hours ago, Gustavos said:

I'm expecting multiple playable characters to be selected for missions, opening the door for class based weaknesses. Let's say you had a team of Chrom, Xander, and Shiida. You may encounter a team of archers or ballistae in the distance which entice you to switch characters. Same for an enemy captain wielding a horseslayer or armorslayer. And while I realize this is also a roster prediction but I'm gonna guess playable characters will be based on recognizable FE classes, not so much lords, helping to make characters feel more diverse in ways that aren't just combos. Pegasus knight character can fly over terrain/empty space, archer character can command ballistae around the map, and paladin character can rescue npcs to carry them somewhere else for an objective. And of course, the Lord character seizes the throne.

that makes it sound like a lord will be required for every map if it has a throne in it. so i dont think they would be a thing. perhaps giving nearby NPCs moral boost when reaching a certain KO count would make more sense for a lord ability.

• 2 weeks later...

Some theories I have..

1. The Weapon Triangle will likely reflect the Weapon Affinity System that Dynasty Warriors 8 has.  Instead of Man, Heaven, and Earth, they'll be replaced by our beloved Sword, Axe, and Spear.  The magic triangle could also be implemented in this way as well, but I don't see that happening.

2. Characters can get multiple weapons.  Some characters, depending on their class, may switch weapons even in the middle of battle: which is a mechanic that Dynasty Warriors has implemented since Dynasty Warriors 7.

3. Character elements can reflect the Affinities that characters had in several previous games, even adding some new ones that other Warrior games haven't had.  And along that note..

• Fire: Gradual damage over a period of time.  Cannot kill the enemy, however, and goes away if the enemy is grounded.  However if the enemy is airborne, the fire persists.
  • Thunder: Stuns and spreads into a small radius to shock more enemies.
  • Wind: More damage to airborne enemies, adds more height to airborne enemies, maybe even allow the character to jump a little higher?
  • Ice: Freezes enemies in place for a duration of time, also lowering their defense while frozen.
  • Earth: Stuns enemies and maybe does chip damage to blocking enemies?
  • Water: Not entirely sure, maybe it can drain and heal a small percentage of health to the player.
  • Light: Breaks guard or shields when attacking and defending enemy.
  • Dark: Potential to immediately kill regular enemies in one hit and deals a certain percentage of damage to bosses.
  • Heaven: Clones the character for certain attacks.  Basically the clone/multi skill.

4. This can go either way.  Either animal riding can be used by all characters, but some can ride certain animals like dragons and pegasi.  Or the characters that do ride animals have that as their moveset, similar to Epona in Hyrule Warriors.

5. It could be possible that characters can reclass or promote to add more variety for the characters.

6. Some of the skills known in Warriors Orochi or and Warriors game can be renamed as skills within Fire Emblem, and some skills can be added.

Hm... having thought about this a bit more, here's my take on how Fire Emblem stats could translate into Musou-style gameplay:

1. HP: Pretty self-explanatory really. This is your health and if it goes to 0, you fail the given scenario.
  2. Strength: Strength + weapon's MT = Physical attack. Alternatively, the developers may opt to combine Strength and Magic into one stat like in the GBA Fire Emblems (technically) or Fire Emblem Heroes.
  3. Magic: Magic + weapon's MT = Magical attack. Or you could see Strength for what they could possibly do instead.
  4. Skill: More of this stat could combine with a weapon's Hit rate to form a true Hit rate like in Fire Emblem. This Hit rate would determine an attack's actual hitboxes: More Hit = wider and more far-reaching hitboxes. Could also proc. certain "Skills"
  5. Speed: It could be used to make characters faster. Though I think movement might be fixed so instead of movement, Speed could determine invincibility duration when you dodge and/or your character's attack speed.
  6. Luck: I'm honestly a bit unsure what this would do. Maybe affect drop rates and have a small effect on Skill and Speed. Or maybe boost the time you spend in an overpowered state if the game has something that's similiar to Hyrule Warriors' Focus Spirit.
  7. Defense: Your defense against physical attacks. Alternatively, maybe Defense will encompass both weapons and magic in this game? (I think not, but eh.)
  8. Resistance: Your defence against magic attacks. If Defense fulfills Resistance's role instead, then it could be cut. Alternatively, Resistance could then be a stat that determines how long you're affected by applied elements or a chance to quickly recover from status ailments (which is part of what elements tend to be in a Warriors game)

On that note, some semicommon/common Musou elements like Light/Flash/Blast/Wind/Gale (makes attacks unblockable or lets them chip through enemies' guards) or Drain/Night/Absorb (absorbs Health or something else) could be made into skills instead that could be tied to a weapon or learnt by certain characters, instead of having them as true elements. For example, the former could be named into Luna and could simultaneously be learned innately by a character or forged into a weapon and it could proc randomly based on the character's skill and/or have it's proc rate increased/always proc if the character is in a super mode state. Same with the latter which could be renamed Sol instead (and if Nosferatu exists as a weapon, it would of course have Sol built into it).

On 2/11/2017 at 11:59 AM, Folt said:

Hm... having thought about this a bit more, here's my take on how Fire Emblem stats could translate into Musou-style gameplay:

1. HP: Pretty self-explanatory really. This is your health and if it goes to 0, you fail the given scenario.
  2. Strength: Strength + weapon's MT = Physical attack. Alternatively, the developers may opt to combine Strength and Magic into one stat like in the GBA Fire Emblems (technically) or Fire Emblem Heroes.
  3. Magic: Magic + weapon's MT = Magical attack. Or you could see Strength for what they could possibly do instead.
  4. Skill: More of this stat could combine with a weapon's Hit rate to form a true Hit rate like in Fire Emblem. This Hit rate would determine an attack's actual hitboxes: More Hit = wider and more far-reaching hitboxes. Could also proc. certain "Skills"
  5. Speed: It could be used to make characters faster. Though I think movement might be fixed so instead of movement, Speed could determine invincibility duration when you dodge and/or your character's attack speed.
  6. Luck: I'm honestly a bit unsure what this would do. Maybe affect drop rates and have a small effect on Skill and Speed. Or maybe boost the time you spend in an overpowered state if the game has something that's similiar to Hyrule Warriors' Focus Spirit.
  7. Defense: Your defense against physical attacks. Alternatively, maybe Defense will encompass both weapons and magic in this game? (I think not, but eh.)
  8. Resistance: Your defence against magic attacks. If Defense fulfills Resistance's role instead, then it could be cut. Alternatively, Resistance could then be a stat that determines how long you're affected by applied elements or a chance to quickly recover from status ailments (which is part of what elements tend to be in a Warriors game)

On that note, some semicommon/common Musou elements like Light/Flash/Blast/Wind/Gale (makes attacks unblockable or lets them chip through enemies' guards) or Drain/Night/Absorb (absorbs Health or something else) could be made into skills instead that could be tied to a weapon or learnt by certain characters, instead of having them as true elements. For example, the former could be named into Luna and could simultaneously be learned innately by a character or forged into a weapon and it could proc randomly based on the character's skill and/or have it's proc rate increased/always proc if the character is in a super mode state. Same with the latter which could be renamed Sol instead (and if Nosferatu exists as a weapon, it would of course have Sol built into it).

It'll probably be like Hyrule Warriors where the only "stats" pertaining to level-ups are HP and attack power.

6 hours ago, Anomalocaris said:

It'll probably be like Hyrule Warriors where the only "stats" pertaining to level-ups are HP and attack power.

Not necessarily: Fire Emblem Warriors doesn't need to be like Hyrule Warriors at all.

14 hours ago, Anomalocaris said:

Even though Fire Emblem as a whole deals a lot more with stats than Zelda does. In Warriors games the main stats are usually HP, Attack, Defense and Speed(Leadership in some which we might see here). I can see Folt's idea being a thing, only with Skill affecting critical damage since your hit rate in a Warriors game is if you're close enough and facing an enemy.

2 hours ago, Emeraldfox said:

Even though Fire Emblem as a whole deals a lot more with stats than Zelda does. In Warriors games the main stats are usually HP, Attack, Defense and Speed(Leadership in some which we might see here). I can see Folt's idea being a thing, only with Skill affecting critical damage since your hit rate in a Warriors game is if you're close enough and facing an enemy.

I was mostly thinking in regards to Samurai Warriors where some games in that series had stats that would increase the hitbox sizes of your attacks when upgraded/increased when I thought of Skill, though true: they might just make Skill only affect critical rate and perhaps chances for a weapon skill to activate.

On the other hand, maybe have it so that with more points in the Skill stat, the amount of Musou filled in the Musou gauge (or the equivalent) per enemy killed (or whatever) is increased, allowing you to do damaging special attacks more often?

-The weapon triangle will be featured and effectively be DW8's attribute system
-Characters who can traditionally use multiple weapons can switch to their secondary mid-battle a la DW8 (Chrom could have a generic lance, Robin/Leo would switch to a basic sword, etc.)
-Supports and character switching in some way will be in a la Warriors Orochi (my thoughts would be a tag team of two, with support bonuses effecting the other unit's stats like they do in the main series)
-Alternatively, the game could take a SW Chronicles approach and have you be able to switch between several officers on different parts of the map
-It'll be fun for many and a major disappointment for a vocal few

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry if this topic has been dead for a while and this is approaching necroposting.

I wrote my own idea of how FEW would play prior the game's announcement, and here are a bunch of things I conceived of.

All units can ride horses and flying mounts. Mounted units have their unique movesets on horseback and weaker generic ones on foot. Mounties also have increased resistance to getting knocked off their mount (negated by horseslayers). Also, no dodging, but can make their mounts dash, which units ideal on foot cannot do.

Foot soldiers, either pure foot soldiers, or mounted units on foot, can dodge. Armored units, excepting perhaps the Black Knight, cannot dodge, but get increased flinch resistance and a guard physical attacks cannot break (barring armorslayers).

All non-lords and select other units get the moveset of their class. Meaning a hypothetical Shinon and Brigid, both Snipers, play the same. However, there is a little variation between two characters in each class. Shinon might have for a given charge attack a powerful straight piercing arrow shot, whereas Brigid gets for the same charge attack number, an arrow rain. Shinon may also have Provoke as a skill and more Defense than Brigid, who would have more Luck than Shinon plus a skill called Ulir which gives her increased stats when using the Yewfelle.

Also, a "Legacy mode" wherein you play through various battles from FE history, redone in Musou style. And maybe counterfactual battles too.

For the lords, I had thought of the following movesets:

Marth: Balanced single-handed sword, maybe with the Fire Emblem/Binding Shield.

Alm: A more roguish, aggressive sword style with crossbow use.

Celica: Anima magic with a touch of light and sword.

Sigurd: Wickedly good horseback combat, with a Matador-inspired (no flair, but plenty of finesse) foot moveset.

Seliph: Like his father, but not quite as good on a horse, and with light magic from his Naga blood infused into his moveset both on horse and foot. Also, his sword style displays European elements from training under Oifaye, plus Oriental elements from Shanan.

Leif: An okay balanced moveset on foot, a bit similar to Seliph's. On horseback, he is godly with the full arsenal of a Master Knight on display.

Roy: Let's Smash him and go for a two-handed sword style. I was thinking that because the Elibe legendary weapons were so powerful as to alter the climate of the continent, that we give him a limit break mode thing, like Young Link's Fierce Deity in HW.

Lyn: Eastern swordplay with bow touches perhaps.

Eliwood: Maybe a solid blend of thrusts and slashes for foot combat, perhaps with a flaming finish. Plus decent horse combat that adds lances.

Hector: Wild axe swinger.

Erika: Fencer, maybe with thunder/lighting finishes.

Ephraim: Foot unarmored lance user with finesse- what more need be said?

Ike 9: Sword and dagger (because I heard someone say his unpromoted battle stance is of a style of sword-fighting wherein the hand without the sword held a dagger).

Ike 10: Large swords able to wielded with one hand, with axe touches.

Micaiah: Light magic plus staffs.

Chrom: Toshiie Maeda inspired sword and lance (plus a shield bash or two) style.

Lucina: Marth+Erika+Chrom hybrid.

Corrin: Sword plus dragon transformational abilities, and maybe a touch of magic and staffs.

Hm... I was thinking for a bit: Maybe, in addition to character switching, there could be another system that'd let your character team up with other unique characters on the field:

Basically,  in addition to choosing a playable character, you also have an assortement of unique characters who, while not playable per see, could act as assist characters. By filling up a meter, you could summon the assist character for a combination attack. And certain characters could have unique combination attacks with one another. Every playable character can be selected as an assist character, but not every assist character would be a playable character (though some could get promoted into playable characters down the line).

In conjunction with my outlining of a possible use of Fire Emblem stats, Skill could be used to determine how fast the gauge for assist characters fill up.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2017 at 7:51 PM, SHSL Ninja said:

Some theories I have..

1. The Weapon Triangle will likely reflect the Weapon Affinity System that Dynasty Warriors 8 has.  Instead of Man, Heaven, and Earth, they'll be replaced by our beloved Sword, Axe, and Spear.  The magic triangle could also be implemented in this way as well, but I don't see that happening.

2. Characters can get multiple weapons.  Some characters, depending on their class, may switch weapons even in the middle of battle: which is a mechanic that Dynasty Warriors has implemented since Dynasty Warriors 7.

These are two theories I had as well... but I could see the Weapon Triangle bonuses being more along the lines of Hyrule Warriors rather than DW8. From my experience in HW... you could still defeat a general with the same element, but it would take a little longer... in DW8, IIRC, enemy generals your weapons are weak against are basically super-powered. Unless there's an emphasis on character-switching (which actually wouldn't surprise me), it seems like the Weapon Triangle bonuses won't be super dramatic.

That said, here are some other things I think they might implement:

• Capturable bases that will heal you when you sit in them or drop healing items.
  • Movesets based around entire classes (excluding Lords, who would obviously have movesets unique to them)... mounted units would function like Epona in HW.
    • With this in mind, they could theoretically include any and every FE character as "generics."
  • Tiered weapons like in most Warriors games, since it meshes well with FE's Iron -> Steel -> Silver weapons.
  • Perhaps equippable skills instead of items?
  • Vulneraries (consumable healing items are present in HW and Berserk.)
  • NPC Clerics that will follow you around and heal / buff you occasionally.
  • Certain breakable walls.
  • Castle battles.
  • Quick step / dash (like in HW and Berserk) rather than jumping (like DW and SW.)
  • A "My Unit" seems like it could be a strong possibility, given the emphasis on it in recent FE games and character creation in past Warriors games. I could even see it being a separate mode like Destiny Mode in DW5:XL... where what you do influences how your MU turns out and you are able to use your MU in other modes when you complete it.

I would really love an Empire mode as well... not that I'm expecting it to be there, but I hope something like it is FEW's third mode (the first two being Story and Free Mode, naturally.)

3 hours ago, Nazarre said:

These are two theories I had as well... but I could see the Weapon Triangle bonuses being more along the lines of Hyrule Warriors rather than DW8. From my experience in HW... you could still defeat a general with the same element, but it would take a little longer... in DW8, IIRC, enemy generals your weapons are weak against are basically super-powered. Unless there's an emphasis on character-switching (which actually wouldn't surprise me), it seems like the Weapon Triangle bonuses won't be super dramatic.

That said, here are some other things I think they might implement:

• Capturable bases that will heal you when you sit in them or drop healing items.
  • Movesets based around entire classes (excluding Lords, who would obviously have movesets unique to them)... mounted units would function like Epona in HW.
    • With this in mind, they could theoretically include any and every FE character as "generics."
  • Tiered weapons like in most Warriors games, since it meshes well with FE's Iron -> Steel -> Silver weapons.
  • Perhaps equippable skills instead of items?
  • Vulneraries (consumable healing items are present in HW and Berserk.)
  • NPC Clerics that will follow you around and heal / buff you occasionally.
  • Certain breakable walls.
  • Castle battles.
  • Quick step / dash (like in HW and Berserk) rather than jumping (like DW and SW.)
  • A "My Unit" seems like it could be a strong possibility, given the emphasis on it in recent FE games and character creation in past Warriors games. I could even see it being a separate mode like Destiny Mode in DW5:XL... where what you do influences how your MU turns out and you are able to use your MU in other modes when you complete it.

I would really love an Empire mode as well... not that I'm expecting it to be there, but I hope something like it is FEW's third mode (the first two being Story and Free Mode, naturally.)

I love the idea of NPC clerics you came up with. these are all good ideas. the only one i dont see is movesents just being classes. Id feel that would mostly happen to generic captains and less playable characters.

No flying mounts, just normal horses. Everyone rides normal horses. 

Honestly though, I'd like to be proven wrong. I want to see all kinds of the flying mounts. But I haven't see how Koei ever implement a flying mount in these kind of games and doesn't think it is possible for them to feature flying mounts and the view or gameplay of different heights.  

On 3/18/2017 at 8:35 AM, DraceEmpressa said:

No flying mounts, just normal horses. Everyone rides normal horses. 

Honestly though, I'd like to be proven wrong. I want to see all kinds of the flying mounts. But I haven't see how Koei ever implement a flying mount in these kind of games and doesn't think it is possible for them to feature flying mounts and the view or gameplay of different heights.  

I'm pretty sure fliers will be in... they're a staple of FE. There obviously wouldn't be variable-height flying (that would make them far too OP, unless we had free-aiming archery like older DW games.) I kind of imagined fliers as being more like Argorok in Hyrule Warriors (more so the Adventure Mode variant), where it flies, but really low to the ground. They might be able to fly over mountains and stuff too, but obviously there would be some restrictions to that too.

Dragon Veins.

DVs were one of my favorite things from Fates and would be a great way to add ways to shake up a map either with passive effects (like Hinoka's Conquest map with the wind mechanic) or major map alterations (raise/lower sections, destroy sections, platofrms, etc). Ideally some of these would be optional and could be activated by enemy generals as much as they can yours and there's some strategy involved with when you do/do not activate a vein.

And if they change up the map in even a small way, it would also give the mission mode a little variety since you could have veins already set off.

Just handwave why non-dragons/non-dragon bloodlines can activate them by saying they drank dragon blood or got a dragon blessing or something.

I can totally see Dragon veins having a gameplay story significance to both enemy generals and ally generals. it would be a good way for stage hazards aside from just fires and arrow raids.

• 1 month later...

My theories on what they could do:

-Stats are separated like in Fire Emblem. HP is the same, Attack/Magic determine damage done (attack/magic+Weapon might), Defense determines how much damage will be taken with physical weapons, Resistance with magical weapons, Luck determines items drops. Though I'm not sure what to do with Speed or Skill.

-Characters will be alternate costumes for different classes with some minor differences in movesets and weapons. For example Soren uses Wind magic which deals bonus damage to fliers, Sanaki does the same with fire magic, Orochi uses scrolls, etc. Weapons are also unique for each character and different charcaters can uses multiple weapons, for example Ike uses a Steel sword>Ettard>Ragnell OR Steel Axe>Silver Poleaxe>Urvan. Chrom with Steel sword>Rapier>Falchion OR Steel Lance>Spear>Gradivus.
Different classes also have different dash speeds, guard meters, combos, and stats.

-There will be an Affinity system like Hyrule Warriors and Radiant Dawn. Different maps give bonuses to certain characters if the map and character have the same Affinity. This also effect certain attacks like what we saw Chrom do.

-Different characters have special attacks that fill up a Bar like in Hyrule warriors. These special attacks could work similar to Heroes where it has an AOE, deals more damage based off of a certain stat, etc.

-Bonus damage deals more damage and can break through guards faster than a standard weapons if used on the appropriate class. Wind magic with fliers, hammers with armor knights and beast killers with horses and beast units.

-Mounted characters will have their own movesets like Epona from Hyrule Warriors. They can not use dodging maneuvers however their default speed is comparable to a dash and have a form of super armor during certain attacks unless hit by a weapon that deals effective damage against horses.
To add onto this wyverns and pegasi will be playable as well. They also fly a few inches over the ground.

-Armor knights have the slowest running speed in the game but their guard can only be destroyed with effective weapons.

-Shapeshifting units like Manaketes, Laguz and Taguel could work in two different ways: They have a special attacks bar like in Hyrule warriors(The yellow bar) that builds up when they hit or are hit. They attack with standard punches and kicks until the bar maxes out where they can transform into their dragon/beast forms which receive a large attack, speed and defense boost until the bar(s) runs out. Or they transform by default when the battles starts.

-The Weapon triangle will be in the game and it will work like it always has: Swords>Lances>Axes>Swords. Wind>Fire>Thunder>Wind. Anima>Dark>Light>Anima.
When fighting a major opponent like a General (Not the class) or named character with a weapon advantage you deal more damage and a special attacks bar increases faster. However if you have a disadvantage it does the opposite, you deal less damage and the bar will fill slower. The enemy can also do the same to you. Though this will not happen against smaller grunts.

Weapon triangle will obviously be in and its likely the magic triangle will be in and have varying bonuses vs types of units.  I wonder though if there will be a one on one quicktime event.  Like when you face off against bosses or other character units the battle focuses in on that with the army surrounding the two this way blocking and countering become more important.  I think it would be cool if executed properly.