• I don't know
  3. 3. Modern

• Vaike
    • Arthur
    • Charlotte
    • Basilio
    • I don't know
    • Rinkah

Fighters, Bandits, and Pirates are all about axes. High HP and Strength makes them good at axing in the face, but low Skill, Speed and defences makes them poor at drawn-out encounters.

Bandits and their brethren are much rarer than their fighter counterparts on the player army, because their talent is destroying villages. Berserkers, with their higher crit rate, have more of a place on the player army.

Is it just me, or are axemen really rare? I'm fairly sure there should be more fighters than that in Modern...

EDIT: Added Rinkah. I am now terrified for the other rounds, with variant classes I won't know I don't know. Can anyone suggest a good resource for finding this information out?

(The plan is for next round to be Knight/Soldier, to round out the weapon triangle of infantry.)

Edited by phineas81707

Orsin is the only classic fighter/pirate worth a damn. Great stats, good skills, and a ridiculously powerful unique weapon. There could have been a decent argument for his other half, Halvan, but the almighty Hero Axe has nothing on the Pugi Axe. Barst is alright, but an alright 1-3 unit is a trash tier unit for any game after that.

Dart for veteran. He's fun, he's Rebecca's brother, he absolutely destroys the second half of the game(So long as you keep him away from swordmasters). The only major con is that he ruins your fund ranking if you go for ranking runs.

Nobody from the modern era. IS really dropped the ball on axe users after FE7. Basilio is great for looking like Sam Jackson's Nick Fury, and Charlotte is fun for just being so completely different from almost any other character in the series, but I HATE using either of them.

Edited by Slumber

For classic, I'd say Barst, fairly good axe unit, sadly I don't use axe units except as a hero's secondary usually, for veteran, I'd say Ross, yes he's a trainee unit, which isn't good to start, but putting in time and dedication will reward you (not as much as Amelia but still) and he was my main axe unit for sacred stones (first time I used a axe unit regulary actually) and for Modern, hands down Charlotte, while I don't prefer her character too much, her results are far too good, she easily gets high crit rates for me without a killer axe, even getting 100% crit rates without one, additionally (IDK if it's fates rng or her being lucky) she nearly always lands hits, even ones as low as 10%. While I don't normally use axe users, two of my votes are exceptions

You forgot Rinkah. Good thing I caught that before casting my vote!

Going to edit with my votes when Rinkah is there

EDIT: Also, Fuga? I don't really know which group he fits tho.

Also there're a bunch of capturable characters if those count, I guess...

Edited by Sylphid

Barst, Boyd and Arthur because... well, the first two are good units in a sea of slow unusable brutes (even though I hear a lot of good things about the FE5 fighters) while the third one is genuinely fun to use: Berserker!Arthur with Sol, Armored Blow, Axefaire, Gamble + filler (Elbow Room for more damage or Pavise/Aegis/HP+5/Def+2 for durability) paired with Berserker!Effie deals tons of damage and can take quite a lot of beating. You just need to pour money into those parallel seals.

1 hour ago, Sylphid said:

You forgot Rinkah. Good thing I caught that before casting my vote!

Going to edit with my votes when Rinkah is there

EDIT: Also, Fuga? I don't really know which group he fits tho.

Also there're a bunch of capturable characters if those count, I guess...

I've never seen Fates, so a Fates error was all but inevitable. I didn't even know about that class. Odds are I missed someone in the mercenary class, too.

Capturable units, I'm going to avoid, because then I feel like characters like the Reed brothers (or, more likely, someone like Binks) should be there.

Oisin Orsin. Because Pugi. That wins all the time. Honourable mentions are Barst (he's a decent guy, and Ogma's No. 2), Darros (in the remakes, because that base skill in FE1) and Dagdar (As Mr. Take that Ballista)

Gonzales, because if I like you despite shit skill in FE6, you're doing something right. Honourable mentions include Ross and Dart, as GBA warriors tended to have at least one big weakness by the end.

Vaike.... Not much option, and Vaike is actually usable. Certainly more than Basilio (though Nick Fury is a fun guy),  and I haven't played Conquest to think about the other two (Also, not a fan of Rinkah)

26 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

I've never seen Fates, so a Fates error was all but inevitable. I didn't even know about that class. Odds are I missed someone in the mercenary class, too.

Capturable units, I'm going to avoid, because then I feel like characters like the Reed brothers (or, more likely, someone like Binks) should be there.

For the record, I didn't notice any obvious misses in myrmidon/mercenary one.

And fair enough about capturable ones, that was mostly a "this might be why it feels like there should be more of them"

Anyways, cast my vote for I don't know, Dozla and Rinkah.

EDIT: I can only suggest the Fates page on the main site for Fates characters/classes really. For soldiers/knights I think there's only Oboro from Fates who might be missable for that.

Edited by Sylphid

Barst, Nolan, Vaike. All in all, I'm no fan of fighters, because the majority of them are losers, especially Arthur and Charlotte, who I'd say are among the absolute worst.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Voted for Nolan and Basilio. Don't know classic characters well enough, but might of voted for Bord because his name made me laugh. 

I liked Nolan's design, and the fact he has facial hair. He was also a pretty cool character.

Basilio because he was awesome. Easily one of my favorites from recent games.

Out of all the axe users in Marth's games I just could not for the life of me choose any of them, they all looked so incredibly bad looking design wise. If I had to pick one of them for a playthrough it would be Darros only in Shadow Dragon but he's pretty bland so I picked N/A. In fact for my avatar in Light and Shadows I had chosen fighter class for them so I at least had unit variety. 

photo Avatar from FE12_zpsn2jzzmps.png

I'm hoping for in the Gaiden remake I actually find a neat designed axe wielder there so that I can finally have someone from the classic games.

When it comes to veteran it's a hard choice for me between Ross or Boyd and I chose the former just out of the fact he can be trained much more easily than the other two trainees. 

Then for modern Charlotte because she ended up surprising me as a character with her supports, first ever female fighter and I like her personal skill a lot.

13 hours ago, Koumal8 said:

Barst, Boyd and Arthur because... well, the first two are good units in a sea of slow unusable brutes (even though I hear a lot of good things about the FE5 fighters) while the third one is genuinely fun to use: Berserker!Arthur with Sol, Armored Blow, Axefaire, Gamble + filler (Elbow Room for more damage or Pavise/Aegis/HP+5/Def+2 for durability) paired with Berserker!Effie deals tons of damage and can take quite a lot of beating. You just need to pour money into those parallel seals.

The FE5 Fighters essentially make up the axe-DNA of Heroes in FE6 onward. Basically, they're Mercenaries that wield axes. Good strength, good HP, and high speed/skill. They do have the Fighter's high constitution, though(Build in FE5 is a stat that can increase with levels). Halvan and Orsin are both likely to cap Speed, Strength and Build, with Orsin also capping Skill, HP and Luck. Keep in mind that capping one or two stats in FE5 makes for a decent unit, while Halvan will cap 3 comfortably and get high in most other stats, and Orsin is likely to cap 5-6 stats, while getting high defense and his own unique OP weapon, too.

For extra comparison, Galzus, FE5's late game super unit, comes with 4 maxed stats and decent-to-good everything else.

They're ridiculously good in FE5. Plus, going back to the "They're where Heroes get their axes in FE6 onward." thing, "Heroes" as we know them nowadays first showed up as "Mercenaries" in FE5, and three characters promote to Mercenaries. Halvan and Othin are two, Machyua is the third(She's a Swordfighter, making her a more traditional Mercenary.)

Edited by Slumber

Orsin, Hawkeye, Rinkah.

Rinkah honestly gets too much flak, but once you know how to use her she's pretty flexible in what you can do with her. I really like going Zerk, which still fits with the theme of this poll, since it gives her such a ridiculous offense boost while still maintaining a respectable defensive line (notably it also raises her HP) if you do it right. With the right boosts I was able to run her at ~40def while having all the offensive perks of berserker like oneshotting shit with crits and it's pretty amazing. 

Plus I like her as a character and being one of the few female designs with visible musculature gets huge points from me.

@Sylphid Fuuga should go with the Myrm poll, his base class is Myrmidon, as much as his upper body design looks like an Oni.

Edited by Thor Odinson

1. Marty, yes I know he sucks but that's part of the reason why I like him I always feel tempted to make him suck less when I play even though it's a challenge. 
2. Nolan but I was really conflicted because I like Garcia/Ross a lot too.
3. It's a tie between Charlotte and Arthur because I like both a lot.

1. I have little experience with the Kaga games, but went with Darros because being able to walk on water is pretty cool (I miss pirates).

2. Even though I usually go with Boyd, I like Nolan the best due to his design and personality. Being a former merchant, Nolan has a level of sophistication to him that is quite refreshing and he looks like he wears a decent amount of protection.

3. Went with Basilio as he is the most tolerable (and he looks like Samuel L. Jackson). Wyck/Vaike is just a standard meathead and Arthur is sort of obnoxious to me (since he is just Captain Gordon with bad luck, and there is only so far the joke can go without it becoming stale). I really dislike Charlotte mostly due to her gimmick pushed so hard and her uninspired design (she essentially is a non-muscular version of the Amazon from Dragon's Crown with the chain-mail bikini, long and wavy blond hair, hair ribbon, and large ax). She is also a big pain to raise due to her base level and stats, and a starting weapon that hurts her ability to dodge-tank and hit things.

Rinkah is okay as a character, but her stats are pretty unimpressive to me (I find it funny how the only female character with significant musculature has a base strength growth lower than the dainty little Sakura).    

Orsin, easypeazy. Pugi, stats, availability, looks cool. HM to Barst though, I liked using him in the remakes.

Nolan. I dig his design, he caps so many, if not all of his stats. I just wish he had supports. HMs to Lot and Geitz, sad to see them at zero votes, but that's GBA fighter life for ya.

Charlotte. I think her quirk is funny, I apologize for my poor taste. Also was happy to see the ever elusive female fighter. HMs to Arthur, much better character than Fates' standard, and the Vaike, simply for gracing us with the phrase "The Vaike".

On January 21, 2017 at 9:23 PM, Slumber said:

Nobody from the modern era. IS really dropped the ball on axe users after FE7. 

IMHO, most of the really good axe users came after FE7 (I find it very hard to think of good GBA axe users not named Hector, Hawkeye, or Geitz).