Let's count who ACTUALLY played FE2 before the remake was announced

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Excellen Browning said:

This is the obligatory "I was into X before it was cool" topic.

...And now it sucks cause it's too mainstream.

Well, I even played it more than once (though only once entirely.)

3 hours ago, Thane said:

So this is what it's like feeling like a veteran. If you'll excuse me, I feel like stepping on some poor scrubs.

in all seriousness I am waiting to see how some of the newer players do take the mechanics and some of the gaiden bullshit if they are kept intact

the merc with the steel shield early on, dracozombies, bigles, summoners in general, bullshit witches, enemy archers from 5 range, having to pick between two characters (Sonya and Deen) for the first time if they've only played FE13 and 14, some bosses are particularly annoying like Geyse, Nuibaba and Rudolf, dragon mountain, trekking through swamp

not to mention the sort of drastic shift of characters after chapter 1, low ass growths, a strange promotion and magic system, and if they have any expectations of avatar/pairings/children characters, well... it seems to be they are most likely out

Edited by Tryhard

I have beaten it once, but on easy mode, a guide and the speed up button of a emulator. So you could say that I didn't play through the 'true' Gaiden experience... It was the first Japanese exclusive Fire Emblem I played, since it was a standalone title, I figured it would be a good starting point. Not sure if I was right or not.

35 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

in all seriousness I am waiting to see how some of the newer players do take the mechanics and some of the gaiden bullshit if they are kept intact

Hide contents

the merc with the steel shield early on, dracozombies, bigles, summoners in general, bullshit witches, enemy archers from 5 range, having to pick between two characters (Sonya and Deen) for the first time if they've only played FE13 and 14, some bosses are particularly annoying like Geyse, Nuibaba and Rudolf, dragon mountain, trekking through swamp

not to mention the sort of drastic shift of characters after chapter 1, low ass growths, a strange promotion and magic system, and if they have any expectations of avatar/pairings/children characters, well... it seems to be they are most likely out

I know what you mean, and I agree, though I believe they will change quite a bit. There are a lot of things worth keeping in Gaiden, and a lot of things that is in dire need of being changed. One movement desert tiles (not counting mages), endless summons, lots of reused maps and general poor design choices are all things that should be fixed.

Spoiler

I do think things like choosing between Sonya and Deen are features that will be kept, and I honestly don't see what would be so controversial, since there's already hints for their exclusive recruitment in the original game. As long as they don't make one of them unambiguously better than the other (I've heard Sonya blows Deen out of the water), then I don't see the problem. 

Like I said though, while it looks like a relatively faithful remake of what we've seen so far, some things are bound to be fixed - I'd be disappointed if all they did was give the game a new coat of paint, as it were.

I'm sure a lot of people might be surprised if the marriage and children system are removed, but that doesn't mean they'll give up on the game. Keep in mind most newcomers most likely play other games as well without all that stuff in it. 

Edited by Thane

4 hours ago, Seo said:

I expect 10 people at best

lol

db6677bb13b4fe47a0fcf887b37ba23e.png

Let science take the wheel in my exhaustive survey I did a while back

There can be no elitism connected to having played FE2 because FE2 is old and bad, from a time before quality-of-life or, say, game design.

1 hour ago, Tryhard said:

Reveal hidden contents

I'm trying to keep very open minded and, for the game as a whole, I'm very excited, but there are some things that concern me a little, like Strength and Magic being one Attack stat, the lack of axes and the implication that maps aren't being remade to be...better, I guess.

Tried to but the inability to highlight movement and the pretty woeful translation put me off. Was planning on getting to it when the new translation was finished and now I'll probably get to it after finishing the remake. I reckon I'll probably enjoy it as the style of difficulty around in the NES days does appeal to me.

4 hours ago, Excellen Browning said:

This is the obligatory "I was into X before it was cool" topic.

Given the fanbase don't we need this anyways

A pleasure to fill the quotas btw

Edited by Seo

My interest was piqued when Ray (mageknight404) did a let's play of it. So I didn't play it blind, but I had so much fun playing it. I enjoy things that are unique and the game has a lot of interesting mechanics. I would consider this my 3rd favorite Fire Emblem. If I had to name something I didn't like about this game, it's at the UI/controls or whatever feel clunky (not so much an issue with the game itself, but with the system it was on)..... and the map design is bad. Worst in the series in my opinion. But that didn't keep me from enjoying the game