Let's count who ACTUALLY played FE2 before the remake was announced

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Tried to but the inability to highlight movement and the pretty woeful translation put me off. Was planning on getting to it when the new translation was finished and now I'll probably get to it after finishing the remake. I reckon I'll probably enjoy it as the style of difficulty around in the NES days does appeal to me.

Which patch are we talking about? Because if it's the old one where Robin is "Bird", then yeah, that is not a good translation patch. But the one that has been available now for some time is perfectly functional and finished. As far as I know there's no "new translation" planned.

http://artemis251.fobby.net/feg/index.html

Edited by Tryhard

1 hour ago, Tryhard said:

Which patch are we talking about? Because if it's the old one where Robin is "Bird", then yeah, that is not a good translation patch. But the one that has been available now for some time is perfectly functional and finished. As far as I know there's no "new translation" planned.

http://artemis251.fobby.net/feg/index.html

Perhaps I'm insane thinking there was a patch in production recently. I'm probably mixing it up with some other project. Can't remember anyone called Bird but I do remember that back int he day the menus were barely translated. I had a pretty difficult time trying to figure out the shires which basically came down to randomly guessing options until someone promoted.

Does playing the game in Japanese give me extra hipster points? I'm just asking because I feel like I'm at a deficit regarding them as a whole, seeing as I became a fan of the franchise via Awakening, and I need something to make myself sound more important.

Played it once. Half-tempted to play it a second time, before SoV comes out. But I have a number of games to buy and replay before it comes out, so I might wait until SoV releases before I step into that world again.

3 hours ago, Tryhard said:

in all seriousness I am waiting to see how some of the newer players do take the mechanics and some of the gaiden bullshit if they are kept intact

Hide contents

the merc with the steel shield early on, dracozombies, bigles, summoners in general, bullshit witches, enemy archers from 5 range, having to pick between two characters (Sonya and Deen) for the first time if they've only played FE13 and 14, some bosses are particularly annoying like Geyse, Nuibaba and Rudolf, dragon mountain, trekking through swamp

not to mention the sort of drastic shift of characters after chapter 1, low ass growths, a strange promotion and magic system, and if they have any expectations of avatar/pairings/children characters, well... it seems to be they are most likely out

you can see celica kill a dragon in the direct, as well as a merc counterattacking after an archer shoots him

honestly I'm okay if they keep most of that stuff as long as the characters all just have better stats and growths. the only reason gaiden had hard parts was because the enemies were often way stronger than your characters

out of all of those things the only one I really want them to improve is that one merc because fuck him

if you somehow couldn't tell from that yeah I've played it, though I haven't ever finished it. i'll probably finish it before the remake comes out though. i did try it again and i enjoyed it more than I remembered

Edited by unique

25 minutes ago, unique said:

you can see celica kill a dragon in the direct, as well as a merc counterattacking after an archer shoots him

honestly I'm okay if they keep most of that stuff as long as the characters all just have better stats and growths. the only reason gaiden had hard parts was because the enemies were often way stronger than your characters

out of all of those things the only one I really want them to improve is that one merc because fuck him

I did see, that's what I meant, though - I don't have a problem with any of those, but I wonder how they've be received by newer fans... or pretty much everyone that hasn't played Gaiden. It could also be rather cryptic.

Edited by Tryhard

12 minutes ago, InfinityAlex said:

Wait, really? But I could've sworn you were... Well, never mind.

Huh? You can't just write something like that and then not finish it, man, now I'm super curious. But yeah, I picked up a 3DS for Pokémon X & Y and Dual Destinies. Since a game was included in the price, I went over to the available physical copies since Dual Destinies is E-shop only, saw Awakening, remembered hearing it was awesome (and probably wondering if Marth would be in it), and bought it. Didn't put it down for a long time.

I've played Gaiden a couple of times and am tentatively considering recording a third play through for my channel. As has been said, its age and awful map design definitely shows, but I enjoy the unique features it has enough to consider it my third favorite in the series. 

Edited by Knight Falchion

58 minutes ago, Thane said:

Huh? You can't just write something like that and then not finish it, man, now I'm super curious. But yeah, I picked up a 3DS for Pokémon X & Y and Dual Destinies. Since a game was included in the price, I went over to the available physical copies since Dual Destinies is E-shop only, saw Awakening, remembered hearing it was awesome (and probably wondering if Marth would be in it), and bought it. Didn't put it down for a long time.

You seem like someone who started on the older games to me...

That's not inherently bad or anything; Personally I think you're an awesome guy, but still.

I have, and that's thanks to MK404's let's play of it and later on Snek mum (and ghast in that one vid)  telling me to "just play gaiden bro"

I'm no hipster...

But I did play it before the announcement.  A while ago, in fact.

It's decently fun, but is very dated.  There are mechanics that are definitely ahead of its time, but some things feel... I guess bootstrappy.  It seems that they were experimenting with some things, since it was literally only the second game of its kind.  For example, the summoning felt very gimmicky and off-balance, the general magic mechanic was... "interesting", and promotions were odd.  That's among other things that make this a unique entry in the series.

I figure that some gimmicks might be too much for some.  Hopefully Shadows of Valentia will make Gaiden a funner experience for newcomers.

1 hour ago, Thane said:

But yeah, I picked up a 3DS for Pokémon X & Y and Dual Destinies. Since a game was included in the price, I went over to the available physical copies since Dual Destinies is E-shop only, saw Awakening, remembered hearing it was awesome (and probably wondering if Marth would be in it), and bought it. Didn't put it down for a long time.

Funny that you were sort of technically right in a number of ways about Marth being in it.

That's somewhat similar to how I started FE.  I'm sort of a newb (only been playing for two years, though it feels like it's been longer), but I've played older entries after playing through Awakening.  Besides Fates and Awakening though, I've only ever beaten Shadow Dragon DS and New Mystery of the Emblem.

I have, and though I respect it a whole bunch, I didn't finish it. I think it has something to do with me not growing up with the NES and getting into gaming with the PS1 and original gameboy, so it felt very dated for me. Was skeptical at first of a remake (bitter about Jugdral) but quickly did a 180 and cannot wait to put in the time Gaiden deserves, if it ends up preserving its innovative ideas. 

Edited by nordopolica

I played this game years ago. I had an immensely overpowered Sage Kliff and Catria, but I lost the save data a few maps before the final boss. I had some frustrations with it (boring, recycled maps, lack of class diversity, etc.) but it was more enjoyable to play than Dark Dragon and Sword of Light. I couldn't get though the first few chapters of that game, it was that clunky and awful. FE2 was ahead of it's time and I am excited to see the improvements that Echoes will make.

Side Note:

Am I the only one who noticed that the new overworld sprites are merely updated forms of the old NES ones? It's a nice touch. 

Edited by Leif

I think I played about 10 hours of it nearly 10 years ago. I got to a certain point, and it just felt like I was banging my head against a wall, doing the same things over and over again before quitting and just reading a plot summary.

So it will say a lot about how I feel about Echoes if I make it further than 10 hours.

A very long time ago I played the first 2-3 maps and disliked it heavily. Does that count?

For the record I played it again, and I had been meaning to since before Echoes was announced, and I'm really enjoy it. Mostly since I actually understand the game's mechanics now.

Edited by Almerson

I played and defeated FE2.

Celica's team was levelled enough thanks to grinding in that infamous forest. I can't say the same for Alm's team. Chapter 5 was quite brutal, but I somehow made it through (and thankfully I knew of giving Alm a 100% critical rate by having Celica beside him, as well as Judah losing his invincibility every 4th turn). Also, between Sonia and Deen, I went for Sonia. With bases and growths as good as hers (well, by Gaiden standards anyways), plus having tons of room for levelling, it was hard to say no to Sonia. Plus, I chose her to even out the amount of mercenaries and mages I had for Celica's team.

Edited by Randoman

10 hours ago, DarkDestr0yer61 said:

My interest was piqued when Ray (mageknight404) did a let's play of it. So I didn't play it blind, but I had so much fun playing it. I enjoy things that are unique and the game has a lot of interesting mechanics. I would consider this my 3rd favorite Fire Emblem. If I had to name something I didn't like about this game, it's at the UI/controls or whatever feel clunky (not so much an issue with the game itself, but with the system it was on)..... and the map design is bad. Worst in the series in my opinion. But that didn't keep me from enjoying the game

Literally watching it right now. Because of how dated it is, it's hard for me to play but I enjoy watching it with he and his friends' commentary.