FE Shadows of Valentia and AXES

Ok so, regardless of the horrible GUI and everything else, I have been playing FE2 over the last couple days. It's actually a fun game, better than I thought. I'm at Ch3. AND... I have something I'd like the veterans of the series to discuss.

How are they going to handle Axes in this remake, in your opinion? I've checked the list of playable classes and none of them can even use them, no equippable Axe is present in the original game other than the standard one wielded by Thieves and we all know why: Kaga is known for his distaste of this weapon type. HOWEVER...

In modern FE, we all know Axes have found their place: popular characters use Axes as their primary weapons (Hector, an actual Lord, Camilla, Greil etc...) and Axes are now a staple weapon rank for equallt staple classes such as Wyvern Riders and their promotions, Great Knights, Heroes, Fighters and their promotions etc...

So, what do you think IS is going to do? Do you think some characters will be reclassed into Axe-using classes, and who could they be? Do you think they will add new characters just to let the player use Axes?

I think there won't be axes nor Weapon Triangle.
An axe user in the first part of Alm's Route would be overpowered, and the same is valid for sword users in Celica's Route.

So, without the Triangle, there is no point in bringing in axe users or, if they decide to do so, there isn't any difference between them and the other two weapons, in my opinion.

Well, we neither saw the axes nor the weapon triangle arrows in the trailer, which could indicate IS is leaving them out of this installment to make it an unique Gaiden experience. Still, we have seen extra characters appearing in this game, so it’s not an impossible theory that we’d get new classes which specializes in axes. I still think there’d be no weapon triangle in the game whether the axes would be in or left out.

I just saw that Atlas is a woodcutter. He is a Villager in Gaiden, but he fits the Axeman Stereotype to a T, so him being reclassed isn't out of question.
The other options is Villager each having different Promotion options.

I am becoming more skeptical we will see Axes or the Weapon Triangle in general. I'm not sure it's a guarantee. Here's why:

Villagers don't have any promotions besides Archer, Cavalier, Mercenary, Soldier, Mage as was in Gaiden in that trailer. I thought they may add Fighter if they were going to add axes.

Both of the screenshots show us somewhat in the first parts (probably around half way for both) there are no added units that we can see that have access to axes so far (and Effie being the only one in general, who seems to be another villager). This seems like they would get at least one character capable of using axes by this point. It'd be like waiting until Chapter 6 at least on both routes to get a playable axe user.

So while New Mystery had axe users added, they were somewhat already existing and just discontinued from Book 2 for some reason. They were also available pretty early into New Mystery after the prologue ended. 

Edited by Tryhard

I don't know, not featuring axes at all seems like a very weird move to me.

2 hours ago, ElementKasai said:

An axe user in the first part of Alm's Route would be overpowered, and the same is valid for sword users in Celica's Route.

Also I really don't get what you're saying: Celica does recruit two sword-users in her party (Saber and that other guy that is attacked by pirates) and why would an axe user be overpowered in Alm's route? Only because you fight mostly lance-wielding Soldiers? I wouldn't be against an axe user filling the traditional role of "broken slaughterer of early game enemies" a la KillerEdge!Rutgervslolbrigand

Edited by Koumal8

20 minutes ago, Koumal8 said:

I don't know, not featuring axes at all seems like a very weird move to me.

Also I really don't get what you're saying: Celica does recruit two sword-users in her party (Saber and that other guy that is attacked by pirates) and why would an axe user be overpowered in Alm's route? Only because you fight mostly lance-wielding Soldiers? I wouldn't be against an axe user filling the traditional role of "broken slaughterer of early game enemies" a la KillerEdge!Rutgervslolbrigand

That's it, if you have an axe user, a lance user and 4 sword users in the beginning of Alm's route (you may not want to promote them in the first shrine basing on how the promotion bonuses are given) with the weapon triangle, it's just unbalanced considering that most of the enemies are lance users. The same is for Celica and thieves when you have 2 early sword users.

Edited by ElementKasai

FE12 (and to a lesser extent FE11) decisively show that a lack of axes in the base game is no obstacle when they can add new classes with axes and add axes to old classes. So there's no reason to expect a lack of axes here, either. That's just not a remotely sensible design decision.

I hope they really flesh out gaiden and having an axe wielding class or two could then allow them to somewhat successfully implement the weapon triangle back. I also think all classes should have third tiers because third tiers kick major arse.

14 minutes ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

Let's face it: if there is no WT, there is absolutely no reason to add axes, other than looks.

I wouldn't miss them. I wish pepole would stop wishing Gaiden was more like the other FE's because, well, it's not.

To be honest, a good amount of the reason I play these games is that I like seeing how all the different classes and weapons look, axes included. They could have split promotions that have the same exact stats and I could probably be petty happy. I just want more variety than the original Gaiden seemed to have, and part of the reason gaiden probably didn't have it was just because of lack of memory space.