Splatoon 2 - New Weapons, New Hairstyles, And Only One Squid Sister?

Jave

One of the most exciting reveals of the Nintendo Switch presentation was without a doubt the sequel to one of Wii U's most memorable games. The Squid Kids are back, this time sporting new hairstyles, clothes, and new weapons and specials to use in Turf Wars.

Splatoon 2 – Nintendo Treehouse: Live with Nintendo Switch

Unlike what some people might say, this game is not a port of the original. Instead it has been build from the ground-up. The core gameplay and objectives remain intact, but the controls have been modified to adapt to the new Switch controllers. The Specials are also all completely new, and new movements have been added, such as a roll used for dodging.

Splatoon 2 is set for a Summer 2017 release, exclusively on Nintendo Switch. Are you people excited? I know I am.

Edited by Jave

How do you know it's not reusing the engine and assets of the original? One of the maps in the trailer is Moray Towers with added inklines, so it seems that there will be some updated maps from the original. I hope the single-player mode is longer.

I bought Splatoon when it first came out and played it religiously. I did lose a bit of interest and drop the game due to school before the 2.0 update, and before then I reached level 16, so I was pretty close to the top. From what little I played of Ranked, I got up to C- pretty quickly.

After coming back very recently, I've been playing a ton again, and I've gotten to 26, even with tons of 50s around me every match.

On that note, Splatoon 2 looks very fun. While I do question the Splashdown special, or whatever it's called, everything looks very fun, and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

The "Splat Dualies", which is the weapon that allows for the roll, seems really combat oriented. I most likely won't play them much because of that, but it's still cool to see new weapon types.

14 minutes ago, Zera said:

How do you know it's not reusing the engine and assets of the original? One of the maps in the trailer is Moray Towers with added inklines, so it seems that there will be some updated maps from the original. I hope the single-player mode is longer.

I agree with it not being a different engine, although they've updated their lighting. The models are probably the same for the most part. However I have no doubts that they've mess with damage and health in the way that changes things. Plus, Rollers and Chargers work very differently now, meaning people used to them in Splat 1 will have to adjust to them again.

And yeah, Moray Tower is in the trailer, so they're definitely reusing maps. I just hope to goodness they remove the Sniper-heaviness out of it. E-Liters just rule that place...

I don't think the Singleplayer was meant to be played in 1-2 sittings as it can be. It was supposed to be a small distraction from the main game, which is online. They don't really need to add too much more, assuming they're sticking with that. Not to mention it's actually pretty fun to go back and replay them.

Edited by Almerson

Oh no, the single-player mode definitely had room for improvement. If the single-player mode is going to be short, Nintendo should do something to increase its replay value. Just add a time attack leaderboard with replays like the ones in Bangai-O HD and DKC: Tropical Freeze, and I'll be set.

1 minute ago, Zera said:

Oh no, the single-player mode definitely had room for improvement. If the single-player mode is going to be short, Nintendo should do something to increase its replay value. Just add a time attack leaderboard with replays like the ones in Bangai-O HD and DKC: Tropical Freeze, and I'll be set.

Amiibos actually did that. Not leaderboards, but still, they gave challenges for the singleplayer levels. Time trials, limited ink, using rollers/changers/having Kraken, among other things. I know the arguement that they should've not made it Amiibo exclusive will pop up, but they were something new for Nintendo, and I don't blame them for doing so.

I do hope something of the sort does exist within Splatoon 2. Also a better Battle Dojo, considering all controllers play like the Gamepad now.

Just now, 11volt said:

I read somewhere that both Squid Sisters will be returning to Splatoon 2. I would link the source but I can't find it (I'll edit if I do).

Marie shows up in the trailer, but Callie is nowhere to be seen. If it ends up staying that way, we only have the last Splatfest to blame.

I can't believe people thought Callie died. Granted, it would've been pretty funny that the last Splatfest killed her, but Splatoon is too E-rated for that.

8 minutes ago, Zera said:

I can't believe people thought Callie died. Granted, it would've been pretty funny that the last Splatfest killed her, but Splatoon is too E-rated for that.

I just imagined it the other way around and I dunno why.

Callie kills Marie due to losing the Splatfest, and the whole singleplayer revolves around the fanboys player avenging her.

It's just Marie's spirit guiding the player throughout the thing ala Zelda Spirit Tracks.

Anyways, we know the Octarians are back thanks to the trailer, so I predict a return to Octo Valley (with a new layout maybe), and DJ Octavio returning as well. Hopefully he himself won't be the final boss again, but as long as the levels and boss fights are fun, I wouldn't really mind it.

Edited by Almerson

1 hour ago, Zera said:

I kind of figured that was always a joke lol.

What's NOT funny is what Marie's wearing in the trailer, and where she's shown to be... It appears that she's hanging out at Octo Valley, and someone on Tumblr identified what she's wearing as japanese funeral attire.... ;n; I DON'T THINK THE CAP'N IS OKAY, YOU GUYS

Also, for people unsure of how some of the gameplay elements work, ProJared released some gameplay footage of him and The Completionist trying the game out. The Splashdown special doesn't have quite as big a radius as you think, so it doesn't look too bad.

I got into Splatoon kind of late because I didn't get a WiiU until a while into its lifespan, but MAN did I fall in love with it haha. If there's one thing that makes me like a game more than great, balanced gameplay, it's novel character design and fun worldbuilding, haha. x3

• 4 weeks later...

Bumping this thread because this is big. Splatoon 2 Global Testfire confirmed for March 24-26:

BREAKING NEWS! A Squid Research Lab special report:

Nintendo Switch owners will soon be able to participate in a special Splatoon 2 preview. A special demo version of Splatoon 2 will be available for download on Nintendo Switch and will allow players to battle against opponents around the world in the Splatoon 2 Global Testfire event. It’s a way for everyone to investigate the latest in cephalopod warfare months before the game launches!

The Splatoon 2 Global Testfire will give Nintendo Switch owners six chances to play with other owners worldwide during the three-day event. The timing of the event is as follows:

March 24:
12-12:59pm PT
8-8:59pm PT

March 25:
4-4:59am PT
12-12:59pm PT
8-8:59pm PT

March 26:
4-4:59am PT

All indications are that the content for the Global Testfire is similar to what’s being offered on the Nintendo Switch Preview Tour. Players can test four different main weapons, including the new Splat Dualies, as well as remixed versions of the iconic Splat Roller and Splat Charger. Extraordinary

!
We look forward to sharing additional findings soon, such as when the demo will be available for download on Nintendo eShop.