do you think people who are not FE-obsessed fans will buy this game?

so the game is currently #1 on amazon's 3DS games and #12 overall, which is great news. however, i'm wondering how many people who played _awakening_ and _fates_ will be hesitant to play a 3rd _FE_ game on 3DS when they may not have even finished playing all 3 routes of _fates_. as a specific example, i have a friend who played and loved _awakening_, but still hasn't picked up _fates_ b/c he's found that there's still so much to do in _awakening_ (e.g. all the DLC maps). i'm a little worried about IS/nintendo oversaturating their market and putting out too much too soon for the less than obsessed fans, but since this is a remake and they're building on the game engine from the previous two games, they probably have to spend less on development (i.e. they don't necessarily have to sell as much as the previous two games to still make a good profit). any thoughts? does it seem like the more-recent converts to _FE_ have become as obsessed with the series as the longer fans?

Edited by geozeldadude

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People buy games for a variety of reasons: Good art, good gameplay, good story... Doesn't matter if they haven't played any previous FE, whether they've heard of Gaiden or not, or if it becomes their first game in general. Likewise, people can decide not to buy a game. It's a matter of personal choice and opinion.

The sales of this game will definitely be telling of how the series will probably sell going forward, but I don't think you need to be FE-obsessed to buy it. Awakening and Fates introduced this series to a lot of people, and even people who were casually enjoying those games may choose to pick this one up, because, hey. It's more Fire Emblem.

I don't think people finishing all versions of Fates will be the only people considering this game. To some degree, I suspect there was a lot of burnout in Fates. While the mechanics were good and it was a good game, it was like, 90 hours of the EXACT same game mechanics, playing through the same story multiple times in different ways. Echoes, on the other hand, offers a new(Old) gameplay experience. New characters, new story, new everything, compared to Awakening and Fates.

If people are still super attached to Awakening like your friend, I think they're in the minority. Fates sold pretty close, so I don't think there are that many people who have yet to get over Awakening.

If this is advertised well enough, i can see a lot of people picking it up. Even just awakening and fates fans going "look, more fire emblem" would be enough for it to sell well.

If they just straight up repainted Gaiden and did nothing more than make the story flow a bit smoother, I wouldn't be surprised if the game's popularity doesn't extend too far outside the hardcore fans. It's not a matter of the game being bad or anything, just that the game will have pretty niche appeal by its very nature. The original Gaiden was pretty much all about the gameplay (which is now comparatively dated and lacking in variety), with skimpy early 90s writing. It doesn't exactly have the same broad appeal the newer games do.

Still, I'm sure it'll sell more than pre-Awakening by merit of the fanbase generally growing and collecting more people who just enjoy the gameplay. Whether or not it appeals to others... Well, we'll see after IS tosses out some more info on what they modernized. Supports are definitely going to be the make or break for more than a few fans.

My friends told me about Awakening, and the first video I watched was the fanservice DLC... Lol. I just bought it for the hype and spent almost 250 hours on it. And then I bought Fates. I expected so much more from the game, and I can't wait for Gaiden since I never played any of the older games. So, I came for the fanservice, but now I just want a good story true to the older games and battle system. I was a lot more content with Fates' battle system but so miserable with the story. I think a lot more fans became conditioned to the games that they are willing to try out Gaiden. 

Not the best indicator, of course, but on gamefaqs I've seen a lot of "Awakening baby here: what can I expect from this game" topics. Plus, everybody who I've seen in a reaction vid has been excited for it.
So there's definitely a lot of interest at the very least.

Edited by The DanMan

I see this as IS trying to introduce classic Fire Emblem gameplay to a lot of people who only ever played Awakening and Fates, while testing out "new" concepts like real-time dungeons and towns. If this game succeeds, we might see IS use these elements in future FE games.

9 minutes ago, SullyMcGully said:

If this game succeeds, we might see IS use these elements in future FE games.

Oh lord, I hope so.

Anyway, I have a feeling hat the more unique design of Gaiiden that made it more like traditional RPGs will play a big role in drawing people in, possibly even more than Awakening did at first. I've heard many people say that they are more interested in Echoes than other Fire Emblem games because it seems more like the games they're used to. 

4 hours ago, DeoxyRibose said:

Oh lord, I hope so.

Anyway, I have a feeling hat the more unique design of Gaiiden that made it more like traditional RPGs will play a big role in drawing people in, possibly even more than Awakening did at first. I've heard many people say that they are more interested in Echoes than other Fire Emblem games because it seems more like the games they're used to.

that's a good point, in terms of their strategy. if they include towns that you can actually walk around in in 3D and the dungeon mechanics are well thought out, this could not just help transition people from _awakening_ and _fates_ to the older games, but also point the way forward to more  _FE_ spin-offs (e.g. more straight up RPGs).

Fire Emblem Heroes will release for smart devices (a platform the vast majority of consumers possesses) on 2/2/17 and is a F2P game with microtransactions. Assuming that does draw in new fans, it can generate additional new interest for full Fire Emblem titles such as older games like Gaiden, etc..

Edited by Roflolxp54

I still haven't finished all 3 routes in Fates, and I still plan on playing this game. Its characters are cute, and I think starting a new FE game is always the most fun part anyway.

Granted I'm here posting on a FE fan forum, so I can't exactly claim to be a total casual. I'm very much in the target audience.

A lot of my non-FE fan friends are pretty hyped for this, which makes me really happy. This is the best thing they could have done to bridge the rift in the fandom. Hopefully.

Nintendo needs to do a good job with advertising. They didnt do terrible with Fates, but they can pick it up. (Why Pokemon got a commercial in the Super Bowl last year when Fire Emblem had a game coming out the same month is beyond me). Good advertising goes a long way.

Other than that it will for sure draw in the strategy crowd, because there arent very many strategy games. It may get the JRPG crowd, depends though. Outside of that the rest is really mixed.

3 hours ago, Tolvir said:

Nintendo needs to do a good job with advertising. They didnt do terrible with Fates, but they can pick it up. (Why Pokemon got a commercial in the Super Bowl last year when Fire Emblem had a game coming out the same month is beyond me). Good advertising goes a long way.

Other than that it will for sure draw in the strategy crowd, because there arent very many strategy games. It may get the JRPG crowd, depends though. Outside of that the rest is really mixed.

2016 was Pokemon's 20th Anniversary, and Pokemon is seen as the 2nd biggest Nintendo franchise behind only to Mario.

We can hope that Fire Emblem Heroes gets new fans curious about the games some of their favorites came from.

I'm probabbly going to try and get a friend of mine, that has never played FE before, but just heard me, and another friend talk about it. (Me and my friend were kinda obsessed with Fates, last year. I played over 60 hours the first week.) Plus it doesn't matter if they have never played a FE before, I started Resident Evil at Resident Evil 5, and went back and played the rest of them (Except those side games, and sadly I played RE6 horrible game.)

14 hours ago, Tolvir said:

(Why Pokemon got a commercial in the Super Bowl last year when Fire Emblem had a game coming out the same month is beyond me)

It's Pokemon, though. Everyone and their mother knows about it. While Fire Emblem is fairly popular, Pokemon is one of the most popular video game franchises ever. 

Also, yeah, the whole 20th anniversary being on February 2016 is knd of a big deal. 

I've been trying to get my small group of friends into FE since High school. So far, one of them tried out Conquest as her first game last year and loved it. I talked to her a few days ago and she seemed really excited for this game. Strangely, she didn't seem into Heroes at all until I explained the concept to her a little more.

Fates' advertising was fine. The thing it needed was a free demo, though. That does a lot for interest. 

I think FE Echoes is gonna do pretty well for a remake title. Considering its keeping all the things that made Gaiden unique and probably polishing them up all fancy. Someone upthread mentioned that some of these things will appeal more to the JRPG crowd, and i think they are right. We'll see.

I don't expect SoV to sell as many as Awakening and Fates and I don't think IS need that either (although I definitely wouldn't be surprised if it did), since I think this is intended to be a "filler project" for them to milk more money while they're working on FE Switch.

On 1/22/2017 at 9:11 PM, The Geek said:

I've seen plenty of people who are more casual fans of the series who are hyped for this game.

From what I've seen it's just because "Another Fire Emblem YAY!" Don't get me wrong I'm like that too, but I wouldn't think too much about it.

12 hours ago, Ryo said:

I don't expect SoV to sell as many as Awakening and Fates and I don't think IS need that either (although I definitely wouldn't be surprised if it did), since I think this is intended to be a "filler project" for them to milk more money while they're working on FE Switch.

Yeah it seem like an side project to me too. It seem like it something for the older fans and the switch seem like something for the newer fan base. 

Honestly, I think it'll still sell well, but we'll see I suppose. There's such little information released and everyone's speculating this and that. Before I decide whether I think it'll do good or bad in terms of sale, I'll wait for more information because there's just not enough for me to go off of yet. (Although I do realize the point of this thread is to speculate lmao)