1. 1. Do you like Corrin?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • I'm indifferent.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I haven't played Fates, I have done some research on Corrin...

Also, appearance wise, we're considering the default version, right?

Firstly, MaleCorrin is probably the first albino character I didn't like appearance wise, whereas FemaleCorrin totally looks fine. 

Second of all, I heard they were rather naive, which is not awful, but a bad thing to have when you participating in war.

Thirdly, as many say, he seems to be the center of attention every moment. This is something I hate. I don't want a character be totally loved by everyone despite any of their failures.

That's pretty much it....I'm leaning towards No, but when some more people write their opinions on Corrin and I read them, I'll then vote an option

I have mixed opinions on the matter.

As a guy(or gall) I like Corrin well enough. He's a consistently nice guy who's dorky enough to be amusing at times. All in all he's a lovely fellow. I don't think there's a convincing reason why everyone in the cast trusts and worship Corrin so much but I can at least see why they would like him.

But as a character I don't respect Corrin at all. He's used in entirely the wrong way.
The amount of praise and trust Corrin gets is ridiculous. Out of all the lords Corrin does the least to suggest he can be trusted with being the leader but Conquest aside everyone just lets him be the leader without any reason. At times the praise also damages other characters. We got Ryoma, a pretty flawless leader in his own right and who's more distinguished then Corrin admit he was jealous of Corrin when he was a todler. 

Corrin being so naive was probably intended to be charming and at the start it might have been but its a character flaw he's never called out on. Instead the siblings seem to imply that its admirable and that he should stay like that and let them clean up the mess he makes. 

What makes it worse is that the plot babying Corrin always goes at the expense of other characters. Corrin needs to be amazing so Ryoma must dabble in pathetic behavior, Corrin must be a great guy and can't have shady allies so Kotaro the pragmatist must turn on Corrin for absolutely no reason at all

Edited by Etrurian emperor

Seconding the notion that Corrin has neither the wisdom nor the experience needed to be a leader, which is fine at first as long as it's something they address, and then develop or grow out of... but they never do, at least in the writing. You do as a player, but the character does not. It's anachronistic.

but TBH my main reason for not liking them is appearance lol... ;; default Corrin is all right, but the customization options for both (but especially for m!Corrin) are really limited and poor IMO. I could forgive the not-so-great writing if I could at least make a character that I like enough to attach myself to and headcanon my own stuff, but the customization options are limited and Corrin's expressions are really boring and lackluster for my tastes. 

Something that might be nice as a customization feature for future MUs could be choosing the character's visual personality or expressiveness, like how they emote things. Requires even MORE sprites to be drawn, of course, so maybe that's not the best option... maybe they should just... emote well lol....?

I don't like male Corrin's personality too much because he comes off a bit wimpy. Female Corrin seems more confident which is cool. But I usually attach my headcanon Corrin to make him more likeable to me. But there's plenty of things in the writing itself that makes me dislike Corrin. Everyone is so gungho for Corrin that it ruins some characters, making them act in unrelatable ways. 

No. Corrin suffers from one of the worst writings I've seen in the series. It's even worse when they're supposed to be the player character, but their decisions and dialogue really give me a hard time to relate to them.

The biggest problem isn't that Corrin is naive and stupid, it's that he stays naive throughout the whole game and doesn't change or grow as a character at all.

And then the fact that everything revolves around them and the other characters never question Corrin's bad leadership skills.
Ugh, just thinking about Corrin reminds me how bad the story and writing of Fates actually are.

I really hope whoever wrote for Fates never touches another FE project again...

From personalization options he is ok, with the female version being slightly better in my opinion.
The bad comes when you look how the charachter is written.

As a lord he is just bad. Xander and Ryoma are just perfect for the role, even Takumi and Hinoka are probably fitting better than him.
If I can accept Eirika being naive I can't accept this from Corrin, simply because he just give orders, but have no responsibility. Eirika gets blamed for her errors, Corrin gets COMPLIMENTS. It could have been ok if he was not the main charachter and there was not everyone praising him for everything, but this isn't the case.

As an avatar, he is even worse. Just because of him being naive the player looks like a complete idiot in some parts of the game (if you think at him as your own self). At least Robin, far from being a complete and real charachter, was a good avatar, with no major personality signs, just "I'm with the good people, let's do good actions". This is a good avatar, Corrin is a bad one.

As an unit, he is good. Having access to Dragonstones and Swords makes him a good mixed unit, with the addition of Staves or Tomes he can fit multiple roles in the army, being both a good attacker and a good healer and becoming very tanky when equipped with the Stone. The Yato is extremely powerful, and makes him even better. It's the only role where I actually like him.

Well, male Corrin was already my least favorite Fire Emblem character ever since his Soleil support where in an truly epic case of bullshittery he claims that "he can't thoughtlessly touch a woman's body before marriage", while also hypocritically shaming Soleil for seeking out physical intimacy while pretending to be concerned about her. It's amazing how much awfulness Corrin managed to put into just two lines.

As the full game showed, this kind of behavior is a pattern with this guy. He tells a Hoshidian assassin that "You intent to buy peace with death? That's madness!" and then proceeds to buy peace with the death of countless Hoshidians in the very same chapter, with no self-awareness whatsoever. Corrin is a master of self-pontification but otherwise he is nothing more then a self-centric hypocrite. One shouldn't mistake superficial niceness for genuine kindness.

Of course what makes Corrin truly awful is that nothing of it is intentional. The game is very consistent in treating him like he is basically Ultra Super Jesus MK II, which starts out being cringy and just becomes more uncomfortable and infuriating as the game goes on.

Edited by BrightBow

I don't have as many problems with Corrin as some others do, to be completely honest. I quite like both versions in terms of design choices and character. As far as leadership goes, yes, they really are realistically too inexperienced to be the leader of their respective armies (Hoshido, Nohr or both, respectively), but to be completely honest, taking the alternatives into consideration and the result that would produce, there really isn't much of a choice, is there?

To elaborate:

Ryoma had no qualms to try and off Corrin, whom he only knew for a short amount of time, because they chose Nohr without - and this is key to my main reason for disliking both him and Sir Spineless of Nohr - hearing them out first. Same deal in Revelation.

Xander's reaction to the Hoshido choice is pretty much the same. The same goes - again - for Revelation.

Neither crown-prince is willing to listen to reason, and to be quite frank, Corrin is the ONLY reasonable person around in Chapter 6 of either route, desperately trying to stop their siblings from killing each other. Their stubbornness shows its ugly face again later on in Revelations where they pretty much don't have a reason not to trust their sibling, ESPECIALLY if they love their sibling like the prologue chapters until 6 depict they do.

Would you entrust your friends/army to these two impulsive hotheads who can't keep their temper in check and would get all of them killed in a matter of seconds because of it? Not to mention that both are unable to see past their own little plates of reason and are not willing to come to terms with the fact that the other side also consist of humans and not 'scum'. Ryoma is probably the bigger offender in this case.

So yeah, in terms of leadership, there WAS no other choice other than give the power to Corrin, especially in Revelation.

Takumi and Leo are too young, the same goes for Sakura and Elise, and Camilla and Hinoka are too passive to really lead an army.

The only thing you COULD say is that Corrin automatically has the leadership skills and we didn't see how they got them like we did with Ike in PoR, whom I think Corrin is actually pretty similar to, in terms of their respective situations. But you can chalk that one up to bad writing/pandering/whatever, I guess.

I don't hate Corrin but they are far from my favorite character in Fates because of how stupidly they come across.   I guess I am indifferent to Corrin as a whole and I just focus on other characters when I play.

I'm rather indifferent; it's the story writing that's just godawful. It's bad enough that I went out of my way to put together my own self-insert avatar character in a separate file and imported him via the Unit Logbook just so he runs the story (at least as much as he could on the battlefield, such as by giving him important battles such as the normally inadvisable battle against Garon in BR Ch. 12).

As a character premise, I think that Corrin is... maybe not quite good, but in a place where they could get there with a few adjustments. I certainly think that there's a lot of potential for Corrin to grow into a good and likable main character from their initial circumstances; Luke fon Fabre from Tales of the Abyss is a similarly-sheltered scion of high birth with an enigmatic and plot-relevant origin tied to his game's central antagonist, but because his faults have consequences and he's pressured to actually grow and mature as a person, he ends up being a really cool and compelling character. I'm confident they could've done something similar with Corrin, if not too similar due to their drastically-different starting personality.

However, the Corrin we actually got is frankly... not good. Their characterization is strange, weak, and just plain doesn't make sense at times—their levels of remorse over siding with Hoshido and siding with Nohr in the respective routes should really have been flipped, for example. They have so many special traits, like being the chosen wielder of Yato, or being seemingly the only known Manakete on the continent, that feel totally tacked on because they're almost never relevant to the plot and nobody ever brings them up outside of when they're first revealed, which makes it pretty evident that it's done more or less purely to make Corrin seem cooler and feed into the power fantasy of them supposedly being "you" with no regard for how it'd play into the story.

The idea of a Manakete Lord is cool! Corrin's starting circumstances are an absolutely acceptable starting point for a character, but they never really go anywhere interesting with any part of them. In short, Corrin got some neat ideas going on, but they're ultimately just another item on the smörgåsbord of Fates' missed story potential.

EDIT: Since a lot of people brought up appearance, Corrin's design is alright. The armor's kinda really weird and male Corrin's default hairstyle can look a little silly at angles other than the standard 3/4 portrait view, but it's not too bad overall, aside from the ridiculous thigh windows in female Corrin's outfits. Customization options are serviceable, still not sure why we don't have the option for fully-custom hair colors yet since the game is already programmed to support them. Also skin tone. That should really be customizable, too.

Edited by Topaz Light

Corrin seems ridiculous to me (story wise) there's not much to be invested about the character. I don't mind naive characters at all but he seems forced and tacky instead of having any flow. His emotions seem forced and he has no growth as a character. I can't help but roll my eyes at him and he's always getting praised for the wrong reasons. 

Interesting case as I was reading through the replies. In short, no, Corrin (For all the reasons above) is a bad character. So much wasted potential due to them never growing and being praised beyond a normal human. He/She's very unrelatable to the audience and blander than a melted icecream cone in the middle of summer. Fate's storywriting does not help their case, because I believe with a better story, Corrin could of been a better character.

Design wise, I actually like both male and female. Their armor is a pretty cool analogy for their dragon form and I don't have any problems with the default hair, even if it is a bit crazy. However, the English voices for Corrin are something I don't really like. Male Corrin just comes off way too passive and Female Corrin seems like she is forcing emotion out.

It starts with design. Corrin is stuck with the look of a middle child no matter what. The clothing they wear isnt to my liking and while having no shoes makes them stand out, they also make no sense and is never brought up in-game. Although female can be rather attractive, I couldnt say the same for male Corrin. 

Another thing is how they are visually part dragon. Its hard for me to think of them as my avatar with pointy ears and red eyes/pale skin. 

Also Corrin fails as an avatar even by personality. They arent a blank slate for us to fill. They are always naive, caring, and bipolar. They keep letting people get killed for no good reason and its just rather dumb.

I hate Corrin. They're a black hole that sucks attention away from other characters (including ones who are actually interesting) without being interesting themselves. If it were only that, I would merely dislike them. But the fact that they go through Conquest crying about how "the Hoshidans don't understand my suffering", "I must sacrifice my happiness to put Garon on the throne", and they have the nerve to tell Hinoka and Ryouma that they really don't want to fight the Hoshidans and that they want to be a family with them again (this is after they saw Takumi throw himself off a wall, by the way, so they knew that was likely to not happen). And again, this would not have bothered me so much if they got their comeuppance at the end (such as "Corrin, we never want to see you again, don't come back to Hoshido this is not your home ever"), but instead everyone just praises them like they're a fucking hero. It's an affront to sensical storytelling and Corrin just gets away with everything.

EDIT: Fan portrayals of the character don't help at all either. Since so much fanfiction is romance, the majority of what I see written and/or drawn is pairing the avatar up with the author's lust object of choice. And a lot of it is poorly done, just making the avatar into a woobie and completely twisting the other characters' existing personalities. Corrin is the MOST SPESHUL PERSON IN THE WORLD and must be protected and loved. Fan works, that's irritating enough from the actual game.

Oddly enough, though, most of these types of fan works I see are of the female Corrin and not so much the male ... so even though they are virtually identical, seeing female Corrin in fan work seems to make me cringe faster.

Edited by Sunwoo

No. 

Corrin's circumstances are interesting, much like the original premise of the game is amazing, but the writers eventually go completely overboard with them. The game goes so far out of its way to make Corrin special without backing it up with any real emotion, leading to both the story and the cast suffering for it, the biggest offender being the lack of chemistry with their siblings outside of their support with Xander. 

"But Thane, that hasn't anything to do with Corrin as a character; that's just bad writing surrounding them!" - well, then, you'll be happy to know that I also believe Corrin is a completely uninteresting naïve little brat who's a downright villain in Conquest whose depiction as a good guy sickens me. They don't develop throughout the story, their connection to the other characters is virtually non-existent and as a whole the entire focus of Corrin feels like it completely misses its mark. 

I think the developers were too afraid to give Corrin a proper past and proper chemistry with their siblings since it could hurt people's headcanons, but that's rarely a good idea. I believe that's why Corrin for unknown reasons doesn't know Silas, even though their supposed memory erasure happened after they came to Nohr. It's why Corrin is loved by absolutely everyone who's not evil or wrong without ever expanding upon it. It's why important details like their true heritage conveniently aren't brought up at all in Birthright or even reflected upon in Revelation

There are two well-written pieces of dialogue with Corrin that stick out in my mind: one is the aforementioned support with Xander which really shows their connection and goes into more detail of their shared past, and the other is a support which I don't remember who it's with where they talk about how the people living in the Northern Forrest used to arrange book meetings since there were more books there than could ever be read within a lifetime. Both of those dialogues actually flesh out Corrin's past a bit, and it's tied nicely to their interesting premise. I simply don't understand why they shied away from making Corrin an established character in the world like in the supports I just mentioned and instead opted to turn them into a completely unlikeable dry potato of a main character that seems to exist in a vacuum.

7 minutes ago, Thane said:

I simply don't understand why they shied away from making Corrin an established character in the world like in the supports I just mentioned and instead opted to turn them into a completely unlikeable dry potato of a main character that seems to exist in a vacuum

Nah, Thane, see ... Corrin's worse than a dry potato. Because potatoes are delicious and you can eat potatoes and prepare them in many ways (hash browns, French fries, baked potato, potatoes au gratin, etc.), but you can't eat Corrin. Or, well, you shouldn't eat Corrin. Terrible character, even more terrible to eat. I give a 0/10 for ol' Corrin.

1 minute ago, Sunwoo said:

Nah, Thane, see ... Corrin's worse than a dry potato. Because potatoes are delicious and you can eat potatoes and prepare them in many ways (hash browns, French fries, baked potato, potatoes au gratin, etc.), but you can't eat Corrin. Or, well, you shouldn't eat Corrin. Terrible character, even more terrible to eat. I give a 0/10 for ol' Corrin.

Great, now I'm hungry, and I really should go to bed.

Also, speaking of food and Corrin, why is it called "corn on the cob" in English? That's such a weird name, especially for a language obsessed with words with only one syllable.

1 minute ago, Thane said:

Great, now I'm hungry, and I really should go to bed.

Also, speaking of food and Corrin, why is it called "corn on the cob" in English? That's such a weird name, especially for a language obsessed with words with only one syllable.

Well, at least you know what to have for breakfast in the morning! And your guess is as good as mine about "corn on the cob". Maybe I should look up what a "cob" is. Speaking of Corrin and corn, though, corn is also delicious and Corrin, once again, is inedible. So they're worse than corn, too.