I Beat Gaiden, Here Are My Thoughts.

Pizza Johns

So, I beat Gaiden, and stuff. Overall, I thought the game was interesting and quite fun, you do way more than just "hit things until they die". The overworld map and the two parties were implicated very well, and the dungeon crawling was excellent. Also, the weapon and magic system was pretty awesome and did it way better than Fates imo. A lot of improvements from FE1, like more promotions, stats that can go higher than 20, better character endings, etc. While Gaiden is a cool ass game, there were still terrible design aspects, like the shamans, (Oh, we all hate them) garbage maps, random moments, etc. I hope things will get better when Echoes comes out, as playing Gaiden really pumped up the hype for me.

Fire Emblem Gaiden_009.png

Fire Emblem Gaiden_010.png

I actually completed Gaiden as well for the first time today! :D

I'm glad that you liked your experience with it! ^^

3 hours ago, Wist said:

Hm, I've been thinking I really ought to give Gaiden a go. How long did it take you to beat?

I started it on Friday night, and beat it on Monday night. It depends on the dedication to it, which I had.

3 hours ago, Meanlucario said:

If you don't mind me asking, what changes would you like to see in Echoes?

I'd like to see Shamans nerfed, faster gameplay, just overall polish and user friendly.

I was thinking more mechanic-wise, like the weapon triangle and GBA style supports.

There should be no mechanics removed, because Gaiden has a very classic feel to it, nor should there be a weapon triangle. I'd like a better inventory system, and give the characters some supports and personalities. Also, no marrying.

6 minutes ago, GamerLord402 said:

There should be no mechanics removed, because Gaiden has a very classic feel to it, nor should there be a weapon triangle. I'd like a better inventory system, and give the characters some supports and personalities. Also, no marrying.

I argue about not including the triangle, but agree with everything else. FE2's system looks fun (I think you can see the thunder sword in the trailer), and I would love to see supports without marriage. I can wait for a Holy War remake for another FE game with children characters. Also, I've heard that there are some poorly made maps in FE2. How true is that claim?

Edited by Meanlucario

I argue about not including the triangle, but agree with everything else. FE2's system looks fun (I think you can see the thunder sword in the trailer), and I would love to see supports without marriage. I can wait for Holy War for another FE game with children characters. Also, I've heard that there are some poorly made maps in FE2. How true is that claim?

Very true, I wouldn't know how they can fix that without remaking the whole map from scratch.

Just now, GamerLord402 said:

Very true, I wouldn't know how they can fix that without remaking the whole map from scratch.

I hope they fix them than. I don't think most fans would complain if they fix something that wasn't too great in the original. Let's hope they don't try to make it too much like the newer games.

Fun fact: one of the maps from Gaiden was actually reused for Inigo's paralogue in Awakening, check this out:
http://lparchive.org/Fire-Emblem-Gaiden-(by-DKII)/Update 53/4-fe2ch4pt09img0040_stitch.png
And it's Awakening counterpart:
34431-1412895600-png.png

Edited by OliKad

1 minute ago, OliKad said:

Fun fact: one of the maps from Gaiden was actually reused for Inigo's paralogue in Awakening, check this out:
4-fe2ch4pt09img0040_stitch.png

Your link is broken.  I can't highlight it to copy the URL either, for some reason.

1 minute ago, OliKad said:

Already fixed, but thanks anyway. ;)

Ah, serves me right for reacting so quickly.  For a Gaiden map, that one isn't too bad.

I think the Witch DLC map in Fates comes from Gaiden, too.  I wonder if there's a count of how many maps have been taken from Gaiden.

On ‎24‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 4:27 AM, Mega Koopa X said:

Well, it wouldn't be so bad if some maps were replaced or straight up removed.

48205.png

Maps like these should never see the light of day.

This map was used three fucking times in the game.

I don't know man, having to use your units in a map that is basically a square that offers you little to no possibilites in doing a strategy sounds so much fun to me.

On ‎24‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 4:46 AM, OliKad said:

http://lparchive.org/Fire-Emblem-Gaiden-(by-DKII)/Update 53/4-fe2ch4pt09img0040_stitch.png
And it's Awakening counterpart:
34431-1412895600-png.png

And obviously, the Inigo one is better just because there are no witches

3 minutes ago, Refa said:

What's wrong with the inventory system?

Also what's not wrong with the accuracy in this game.

You have a basic weapon, and can either use a special version of it or a ring. I'm honestly OK with using the old system with a few adjustments.

I can understand that.  I'd just prefer for it to remain simple (even if it got changed) because the lack of micromanaging is what made Gaiden enjoyable for me.