What changes do you want to see in the remake of Gaiden, the second Fire Emblem game made, aside from balanced classes and what we already seen in the trailer?

Personally, I want to see the Weapon Triangle, fixed maps (I never played it myself, but those that have complain about about how bad some of them were), casual mode (I'm a casual noob, I'll admit), support system like the GBA games to help the characters develop and expand more than in the original, and better growths.

Edited by Meanlucario

Casual mode and supports are what I'm waiting to hear on before I decide how quickly I want to pick up the game (which comes out near a lot of other games I'm interested in). I could see both of them being either in or out, given that IS so far has emphasized that the game is pretty faithful.

Other changes they could make that I would appreciate but don't reeeeally need would be...

• A story that's actually substantial. You go through a lot of maps with absolutely zero dialogue, so adding something there seems straightforward enough. Seems they're doing some of this, but execution could go any which way.
  • Some more female characters in physical classes that aren't the gender-locked peg knight. It looks like there's a lady villager now... but she's promoted to a mage, so we've no idea what her class set is.
  • Make the dungeons and towns more substantial if we can run through them.
  • Nosferatu's hit rate is just frustrating, so I wouldn't complain if they buffed that.

Drop rates for everything need to be either boosted to something non-ridiculous, or just removed entirely for duplicate items like Hero Sword. Something like the 0.014% rate for Shooting Star/Astra lances should never appear in a video game again.

A bunch of items like Draco Shield, Speed Ring, and Angel Ring could take massive nerfs and still be pretty good. How good exactly depends on how they handle the equipment system (i.e. can you can equip both a weapon and a ring simultaneously).

Enemy summoners and bigles could really use a cap on how many can spawn in one turn, they could get completely out of hand in Gaiden. The last battle took me over an hour in real time due to the endless swarm of bigles.

Better maps. But I am pretty sure about that.

More classes. I want to see some new branches in the various tiers. I want to see a nonmounted archer option for third tier. I want a Halberdier/Sentinel line for the soldier. Axe users of some kind, maybe bring back Warrior and Reaver. And a third tier for mages.

Dungeons and Towns expanded on. I want to see some large Final Fantasy or Diablo sized dungeons. With loot. I also want to see some actual things to do in town. More than just the two buildings and a shrine.

Playable Axe Users (repeat ad infinitum)

Retweaking classes to make them more sensible (some only get two tiers while others get three)

Any kind of support system will do, marriage unnecessary (at minimum FE5 style supports, at best FE9 style supports)

Rebalance terrible spells like Nosferatu (50% hit before avoid is stupidly low) and broken items like the Angel Ring.

Implement 2RN or Fates2RN instead of 1RN.

Supports.
Third tiers for every class type.
Make the maps suck less (according to what I've heard gaiden's maps are shit).
More classes, including playable axe users.
Better story like PoR.
Expanded dungeons and towns.

I'll echo what others have said already-if IS is going to go "screw everyone else we're catering to gaiden fans, who want an 100% faithful remake, only" then they need to prepare for the game's inevitable tanking in sales as, if IS isn't going to care about newer fans enough to implement supports or fix any of the game's flaws, then newer fans like me won't care either and will pass on this outdated game.

Actually, now that I think about it, gaiden being different is it's selling point so it'd be daft to make it more similar to other fire emblems when it's not supposed to be!

Edited by Dinar87

Basically what everyone else said. It'd be a shame if they didn't update the game, because Gaiden could be great if they fix the flaws of the original (not enough storytelling, little character development, repeated maps, no class diversity). If they fix those and add in supports that don't end up with your units knocked up then it should be able to appeal to newer fans and older fans.

Personally, I would like:

-More dialogue and improved characterisation for the non-main characters. Sadly, most battle shave little to no dialogue which is kind of frustrating and with the exception of Alm and Celica, very few characters get more than their recruitment line so I think adding the likes of base conversations or supports would be good, but I would prefer the former.

-Equipment overhaul. While I want unbreakable weapons and shields and rings to return, I would like if there were two equipment slots or like 5 weapon slots and 3 item slots.

-Female mages to not promote to priestess. Basically in the original, fem mages always promoted to priestess, which was Celica's class and it always annoyed the hell out of me so I would like if they just promoted to sage.

-More characters. Specifically more non mage/cleric/peg knight female characters and maybe even a male cleric/peg knight (I can see the former happening but not the latter since with the exception of Fates, most lore has established men can't be peg knights).

-Improved growths and max stats. Growths were bad in the original so just up them a bit to maybe like FE7/8 numbers. As for max stats, don't have them all be 40 and have them be different, again like the GBA games.

-Better maps. Maybe make them smaller or add enemies, I just don't wanna have to spend 3-4 turns moving towards my enemy before even getting into fighting.

-Add more to towns and dungeons. Self explanatory.

That's about it.

In no particular order:

-Beginner mode

-More female classes

-Playable axe-wielders

-More classes to balance things out

-A support system to flesh out the non-protag characters

-Vulneraries wouldn't hurt (Pun not intended, I swear)

3 minutes ago, Christianguy7 said:

Really? I have never played 2, but I was under the impression that Fates was the only one with unbreakable weapons.

Nope. FE2 also had the explorable map of Sacred Stones and Awakening, and three tier classes like Radiant Dawn. The Wiki page should have a list of mechanics in that game.

I really like to see added in Echoes: Shadows of Valentia is more classes, Sidequests/Paralogues chapters, Prologue, Tutorial so that beginners of the series or never played Gaiden before can get used to the game, Branch Promotion, playable Axe Wielders since Gonzalez from Binding Blade was the first and only playable Brigand, Saints as 3rd Tiers, Knights and Myrmidons as 1st Tiers, Weapon Triangle, Casual and Phoenix Mode, more new characters just like Shadow Dragon and New Mystery of the Emblem since we have that new Villager girl was added in Alm's team, amiibo support for Marth, Roy, Ike, Robin, Lucina, and Corrin like in Fire Emblem Fates & Est, Catria, Palla, and Zeke can recognize and have a special battle conversation with Marth just like Selena, Odin, and Laslow did for Lucina and Robin, give Swords for Cavaliers line, give Alm and Celica a 3rd Tier Class, Dragon Gate, Anna as playable or cameo, living Manakete character so that there is a survivor in the story, and more routes.

37 minutes ago, King Marth 64 said:

I really like to see added in Echoes: Shadows of Valentia is more classes, Sidequests/Paralogues chapters, Prologue, Tutorial so that beginners of the series or never played Gaiden before can get used to the game, Branch Promotion, playable Axe Wielders since Gonzalez from Binding Blade was the first and only playable Brigand, Saints as 3rd Tiers, Knights and Myrmidons as 1st Tiers, Weapon Triangle, Casual and Phoenix Mode, more new characters just like Shadow Dragon and New Mystery of the Emblem since we have that new Villager girl was added in Alm's team, amiibo support for Marth, Roy, Ike, Robin, Lucina, and Corrin like in Fire Emblem Fates & Est, Catria, Palla, and Zeke can recognize and have a special battle conversation with Marth just like Selena, Odin, and Laslow did for Lucina and Robin, give Swords for Cavaliers line, give Alm and Celica a 3rd Tier Class, Dragon Gate, Anna as playable or cameo, living Manakete character so that there is a survivor in the story, and more routes.

That is one heck of an expectation list. 

I have some new expectations for echoes...be either a compromise where most of the old mechanics are retained but improved upon (whilst adding things like supports and stuff) OR be a 1:1 remake of the original gaiden. I'd no longer mind an 100% faithful remake as the whole purpose of gaiden is effectively to be different from the other installments and adding things like supports could take away from that.

As for appealing to newer fans and selling well? We have FE16 on the switch for that.

Edited by Dinar87

54 minutes ago, iavasechui said:

Sooo do you think they will keep in the trick for infinite levels for villagers if they go sword fighter? XD

You mean like Dread Fighters promotes back to Villager? I wondered if they'll keep it or remove that promotion option?