In a HYPOTHETICAL FE4 remake, what would you want to see changed? (Or not changed)

CappnRob

Yooooo. Given all the hubbub over the Gaiden remake and the half dozen threads throughout talking about if Echoes will be a subtitle line for remade classic FEs, I think it would make for an interesting conversation to discuss what if any changes we would like to see to Genealogy of the Holy War should it be brought into a modern age. Why Genealogy? Because aside from Gaiden it is certainly the most different and divisive FE in the series it seems, so if it were to be remade there's a lot that could be changed.... but what is the question.

Anyhow, here's a list of some things I'd like to see changed or tweaked with (along with some stuff I wouldn't!).

How pursuit works: Its no secret that one of FE4's strangest and controversial alterations to the classic FE formula was locking double attacks behind a skill.... then undermining it by basically giving almost everyone access to it, rendering non-pursuit characters less "different" and moreso just plain worthless. I'd like to see it retooled, but not totally removed. Something like how FE Binary handles it, where pursuit lowers the threshold for double attacks so speedy characters actually benefit from it without just being redundant with the existance of Adept/Continue and still keeping slower/heavier hitting classes distinct.

Choosing your gold deposits: Thieves are integral to managing your funds in FE4, but the problem is they just dump everything they have at once onto a character until said character maxes out or the thief runs dry, which is really obtuse. Being able to give an exact amount (or hell, even a roughly exact amount, ie by the 10s or 100s) would make managing your money a bit more tolerable. On an aside, I think maybe a bank mechanic in towns where you can deposit gold from your character to pick up when needed would also be good, given how some characters hit the 50k cap and just can't seem to get rid of the shit afterwards even with weapon repairs.

Sword skills work for something besides swords: Self explanatory, Dew and Holyn are significantly limited in their dad-abilities because their skills can only be used by infantry based sword wielding units... which basically is just Ayra's kids and Patty, as all other sword bearing infantry are pre-set in their parentage (ie Seliph and Leif). Expanding it to mounted units would also open up some possibilities as well though I'm less certain on that because these feel like means to balancing out the combat abilities of infantry characters vs mounted ones, but I digress.

Mild weapon rebalances: Part of FE4's charm is how ridiculous the power creep gets, but in some cases it just results in TOO many things becoming TOO good or other things becoming TOO useless. Weapons all weighing the same regardless of material with a few exceptions is silly, and makes Steel a straight upgrade over iron and silver a straight upgrade over steel, to say nothing on how it totally fucks with magic balance as thunder will always be lighter than fire and wind lighter than thunder but all magic spells of the same spell rank do the same damage. Fire should have more power to compensate for its weight and Wind probably reduced ala Tellius games. Axes need to be reduced in weight period as 18 is absolutely insanely high, and lances could probably be made a slight bit lighter as well. Greatswords/Blades are generally fine but making them all A rank felt silly to me as well. Bows could use some accuracy boosts and the Killer Bow could use an accuracy nerf. Just mild changes, though, nothing drastic to remove the nature of these weapons. Axes should still be heavy but not UNUSABLE heavy.

Mild class rebalances: Heroes/Forrests are absolutely redundant in this game and I'm not sure why they exist. They're swordmasters with 3 less speed and no Continue in exchange for.... 3 more magic?? It's really dumb. Give them axes or bows or some shit to compensate. Paladins only having access to B rank weapons is also lame but giving them access to A rank stuff infringes on the Ranger's abilities.... then again both paladins in G2 have holy blood which let them do exactly that anyway so pft. Generals should just have access to A rank everything, and possibly just merge all Armor Knight variants into one class and just let them use all four basic weapons as one class as compensation for their awful movement (Arden might actually be useful if he could lug a steel axe around for mad damage or use a bow to hit dudes from afar). There needs to be more distinction between infantry and cavalry  advantages, overall. Cavalry have mastery over one single weapon and mild caps, infantry should get better weapon access upon promotion and have great caps. Something like that. Oh, and maybe include FE4 Binary's cliff-scaling ability for infantry units so they can get around goddamn Augustria and other places a bit better. Pls. PLS.

Mild skill rebalances: Ambush/Vantage always provides first strike regardless of HP, plus all that stuff I said about sword skills and pursuit. Other skills seem fine. Maybe introduce some later skills, like Gamble, Shade, or Provoke? I really liked those skills which felt like they jived with the style of FE4 instead of being superfluous fluff. (Arden might actually be useful with provoke, as enemies will actually try and attack him!). Maybe possibly include skill scrolls to teach skills to characters as well, though of course they'd be rare.

Support Conversations and expanded story in general: FE4 has a pretty great story IMO, and Judgral is an interesting and compelling setting, but a lot of the game's story and lore are locked being predestined pairing conversations (which means you have to play through this long ass game several times over and make sure certain characters fall in love in order to get the whole picture) or are just absent from the game entirely, in either unused content (like Alec and Noish's Chapter 5 conversation), creator's notes from Kaga, or were just later added in with FE5. Integrating these elements I think would better strengthen FE4's story, and using support conversations instead of lover talks to get information on character's backgrounds and the extra lore (such as the early mentions of Eldigan's son, Ares) would prove more rewarding.Plus,with FE4's smaller, tighter knit cast of characters, having everyone cross support and see how they reflect on one another would be a great thing IMO.

Buying things you can't use from the pawn shop: It's really annoying that Lex can't pass swords down to Ulster because the pawn shop keeper is all "noooo you can't use that" and only serves to annoy me as I dump all my swords on Ayra and just have Ulster buy them off Lacei in chapter 7 >:| seriously, I know managing item inheritance is an important part of FE4's meta, but it can afford to be less obtuse.

Constitution and Rescue: In such a cavalry heavy game this could open up totally new strategies I think, plus provide a buffer for those god-awful heavy weapons the game has, though I'm less sold on using Con (or Strength for that matter) on reducing attack speed in FE4. However, Rescue mechanics would really help with some parts of the game where mobility is a pain in the ass,as well as pulling someone near death out of the fire.

Difficulty re-balance: A lot of FE4's difficulty stems more from gimping the player (ie pursuitless characters, redundant classes) rather than a challenging enemy. Given I'd like to see those gimps removed/fixed/changed, it only stands to assume that FE4's difficulty as is with these changes would be too easy, so buffing up the AI as well as the enemy's stats would be adequate compensation. 

And now for some stuff I DON'T want to see changed:

The big ass maps: it ain't FE4 without them.

Obscene growth rates/holy blood buffs/etc: the power creep is honestly part of what makes FE4 so much fun.

Obscene Holy Weapon buffs: Again, FE4 ain't FE4 without seeing glorious +20s and +10s everywhere.

The save system: TBH I think FE4's "one save at the start of a turn" method is the best one FE's done. With FE4's huge maps as well, the Suspend system just wouldn't work as good.

That's about all I have in mind (or all I can think of right now anyway), what are your thoughts? I probably want to change too much for some folk and not enough for others, lol.

8 hours ago, Tuvy said:

NO MORE INCEST

Yah

just that

As much as I'd love to see the squicky incest stuff gone from FE entirely, it actually plays a point in 4's plot, so it's kind of hard to get rid of.

I agree with the weapon rebalances and skill rebalances for characters like Dew and Holyn. They end up being decent fathers because of their good stat growths, but nobody's using them as fathers for their stats. And unless I'm wrong, I also think it's impossible to give Ulster the Balmunk, even with Holyn as a father where he inherits major Odo blood like his sister. So I'd like to see that dealt with.

Edited by Slumber

9 minutes ago, Slumber said:

As much as I'd love to see the squicky incest stuff gone from FE entirely, it actually plays a point in 4's plot, so it's kind of hard to get rid of.

I agree with the weapon rebalances and skill rebalances for characters like Dew and Holyn. They end up being decent fathers because of their good stat growths, but nobody's using them as fathers for their stats. And unless I'm wrong, I also think it's impossible to give Ulster the Balmunk, even with Holyn as a father where he inherits major Oda blood like his sister. So I'd like to see that dealt with.

The only incest important to the story is Deirdre and Arvis and the talk of two of the same blood forming Major Holy Blood. This I wouldn't mid them keeping but they can get rid of the implied incest for Claude and Sylvia, and other convos.

Basically remake FE: Binary instead of Vanilla FE.

OH, and make the replacement kids have some use. Considering Ethnia (and by extension, her kids) don't have any plot significance if Titlyu gets married, why not have Amid and Linda join the group regardless of Titlyu's status of marriage?

FE4 is my favourite FE, so I don't want any remakes to go nuts with the changes. I'd just want some minor changes to the more annoying chapters; would anyone actually miss the crawls through Yied or the backtrack fest of Ch2? cough let me warp to Nodion Castle cough Anyway, other than minor map changes, just leave the game as is. Standing around grinding love points is how we did it back then! I'm not opposed to support convos, though. Maybe convert some of the +love convos to C supports or something. Maybe add trading in the inevitable casual mode.  And do something about the whole "horse=automatically good" thing. But don't nerf the good ones. Just make Noish/Alec so bad that even the LTCers hate them. General rebalances are good, though. Make armours not suck!

And to cover the original points...

Spoiler
1 hour ago, CappnRob said:

Answers in bold.

How pursuit works: Its no secret that one of FE4's strangest and controversial alterations to the classic FE formula was locking double attacks behind a skill.... then undermining it by basically giving almost everyone access to it, rendering non-pursuit characters less "different" and moreso just plain worthless. I'd like to see it retooled, but not totally removed. Something like how FE Binary handles it, where pursuit lowers the threshold for double attacks so speedy characters actually benefit from it without just being redundant with the existance of Adept/Continue and still keeping slower/heavier hitting classes distinct.
I'm not really opposed to Pursuit being changed. I mean, it's the skill to rule them all, it kinda needs a nerf.

Choosing your gold deposits: Thieves are integral to managing your funds in FE4, but the problem is they just dump everything they have at once onto a character until said character maxes out or the thief runs dry, which is really obtuse. Being able to give an exact amount (or hell, even a roughly exact amount, ie by the 10s or 100s) would make managing your money a bit more tolerable. On an aside, I think maybe a bank mechanic in towns where you can deposit gold from your character to pick up when needed would also be good, given how some characters hit the 50k cap and just can't seem to get rid of the shit afterwards even with weapon repairs.
Agreed.

Sword skills work for something besides swords: Self explanatory, Dew and Holyn are significantly limited in their dad-abilities because their skills can only be used by infantry based sword wielding units... which basically is just Ayra's kids and Patty, as all other sword bearing infantry are pre-set in their parentage (ie Seliph and Leif). Expanding it to mounted units would also open up some possibilities as well though I'm less certain on that because these feel like means to balancing out the combat abilities of infantry characters vs mounted ones, but I digress.
Agreed.

Mild weapon rebalances: Part of FE4's charm is how ridiculous the power creep gets, but in some cases it just results in TOO many things becoming TOO good or other things becoming TOO useless. Weapons all weighing the same regardless of material with a few exceptions is silly, and makes Steel a straight upgrade over iron and silver a straight upgrade over steel, to say nothing on how it totally fucks with magic balance as thunder will always be lighter than fire and wind lighter than thunder but all magic spells of the same spell rank do the same damage. Fire should have more power to compensate for its weight and Wind probably reduced ala Tellius games. Axes need to be reduced in weight period as 18 is absolutely insanely high, and lances could probably be made a slight bit lighter as well. Greatswords/Blades are generally fine but making them all A rank felt silly to me as well. Bows could use some accuracy boosts and the Killer Bow could use an accuracy nerf. Just mild changes, though, nothing drastic to remove the nature of these weapons. Axes should still be heavy but not UNUSABLE heavy.
The examples given I'm fine with. Was fire being strictly worse then the rest really needed?

Mild class rebalances: Heroes/Forrests are absolutely redundant in this game and I'm not sure why they exist. They're swordmasters with 3 less speed and no Continue in exchange for.... 3 more magic?? It's really dumb. Give them axes or bows or some shit to compensate. Paladins only having access to B rank weapons is also lame but giving them access to A rank stuff infringes on the Ranger's abilities.... then again both paladins in G2 have holy blood which let them do exactly that anyway so pft. Generals should just have access to A rank everything, and possibly just merge all Armor Knight variants into one class and just let them use all four basic weapons as one class as compensation for their awful movement (Arden might actually be useful if he could lug a steel axe around for mad damage or use a bow to hit dudes from afar). There needs to be more distinction between infantry and cavalry  advantages, overall. Cavalry have mastery over one single weapon and mild caps, infantry should get better weapon access upon promotion and have great caps. Something like that. Oh, and maybe include FE4 Binary's cliff-scaling ability for infantry units so they can get around goddamn Augustria and other places a bit better. Pls. PLS.
Just give those insane mounts a nerf. And the footies a buff.

Mild skill rebalances: Ambush/Vantage always provides first strike regardless of HP, plus all that stuff I said about sword skills and pursuit. Other skills seem fine. Maybe introduce some later skills, like Gamble, Shade, or Provoke? I really liked those skills which felt like they jived with the style of FE4 instead of being superfluous fluff. (Arden might actually be useful with provoke, as enemies will actually try and attack him!). Maybe possibly include skill scrolls to teach skills to characters as well, though of course they'd be rare.
Don't go FE13/14 with the skills. Keep them FE4esque. Now adding a handful of skills isn't the end of the world, but don't add all the little things. And the final reason that Forseti!Ced is better is because Erin grants Speed+2. I'm not opposed to more skill items, though.

Support Conversations and expanded story in general: FE4 has a pretty great story IMO, and Judgral is an interesting and compelling setting, but a lot of the game's story and lore are locked being predestined pairing conversations (which means you have to play through this long ass game several times over and make sure certain characters fall in love in order to get the whole picture) or are just absent from the game entirely, in either unused content (like Alec and Noish's Chapter 5 conversation), creator's notes from Kaga, or were just later added in with FE5. Integrating these elements I think would better strengthen FE4's story, and using support conversations instead of lover talks to get information on character's backgrounds and the extra lore (such as the early mentions of Eldigan's son, Ares) would prove more rewarding.Plus,with FE4's smaller, tighter knit cast of characters, having everyone cross support and see how they reflect on one another would be a great thing IMO.
I'd say don't go nuts with the S-ranks, but the game kinda already has them...

Buying things you can't use from the pawn shop: It's really annoying that Lex can't pass swords down to Ulster because the pawn shop keeper is all "noooo you can't use that" and only serves to annoy me as I dump all my swords on Ayra and just have Ulster buy them off Lacei in chapter 7 >:| seriously, I know managing item inheritance is an important part of FE4's meta, but it can afford to be less obtuse.
No opposition.

Constitution and Rescue: In such a cavalry heavy game this could open up totally new strategies I think, plus provide a buffer for those god-awful heavy weapons the game has, though I'm less sold on using Con (or Strength for that matter) on reducing attack speed in FE4. However, Rescue mechanics would really help with some parts of the game where mobility is a pain in the ass,as well as pulling someone near death out of the fire.
There's romhacks floating around for Strength reducing weight for the actual game. And yes please to rescue. Now those useless horses can carry the footies along and drop them off ahead!

Difficulty re-balance: A lot of FE4's difficulty stems more from gimping the player (ie pursuitless characters, redundant classes) rather than a challenging enemy. Given I'd like to see those gimps removed/fixed/changed, it only stands to assume that FE4's difficulty as is with these changes would be too easy, so buffing up the AI as well as the enemy's stats would be adequate compensation. 
It wouldn't hurt. Gimme a hard mode that actually buffs stats; make the holy weapons not be overkill for the strongest enemies!

Keeping the old lover system while still having a support system could be interesting. I actually like the lover system in FE4 because it sort of reflects on each character's personality a bit, how some characters start with huge bonuses but have lower growths or vice versa (Lachesis starts with +50 with -every- male, Claude starts with 190 with Sylvia but only gets +1 love points if he isn't adjacent to her, etc). Plus it'd let you get A/S rank supports with characters while being paired romantically with another. which means the Beowulf/Lachesis/Finn love triangle can now be realized in game ayyyyyyy

...You know what?. I think Capp'n Bob hit the nail on the head.  The only thing I'd add on top of what he said is a Gen 3.  The game was originally supposed to have a 3rd Gen that wrapped up all the loose ends and everything; but the game programmers didn't have enough time to do that.  Julia would convert Julius back to the man he was via the power of love (or something) and the child characters would search for their mothers...

I'd love to see how all that would have turned out.  And maybe Loptyr himself (no human possession, you're just straight up fighting the dragon) could be the final boss, if Gen 3 needs an antagonist.

Edited by FionordeQuester

FE4 is my favorite SNES game and 2nd favorite FE game. I would like to see some things to change and keep the same:

Keep the Same

The incest. Incestuous overtones such as between Eldigan and Raquesis are fine as they allow their characters to build and give us an understanding of their relationship. But removing the incest between the two couples that give birth to important Gen 2 characters could make or ruin the game as it's a strong part of the story. Heck, if they can get away with Corrin marrying his cousin they could get away with it in this

The long maps. I would love to see a remake on the Switch. This could be a way to introduce an open world FE game with day/night cycles, weather effects and terrain taking into full effect.

Change

Give non mounted units a purpose. There was a reason why FE4 was called Horse Emblem. If you're a FE unit without a horse, you're going to have a bad time. Give them anything, better crit rates, better movement bonuses on roads compared to mounted unts, better skills exclusive to them etc. I just want Arden to be loved.

The Marriage System. Keep marriage options the same, but allow to play to choose when to tie the knot between lovers. I don't want the remake to fix the problem of players accidentally getting the wrong pairings.

Day/Night cycles with weather effects would actually be really interesting, especially on maps that are clearly meant to span a long amount of in-character time (Chapter 2, Chapter 4).

I'd like it if they added some new weapon ranks to old classes and gave multiple promotion options for characters to make inheritance a lot easier. Like what FE4 Binary did, but without the "Minor bloods can equip holy weapons with halved bonuses" bit.

I agree with most everything here, but I would also add that if we get a Gen 3, please give us some way to use all the Holy Weapons. It worked really well to only be able to use half of them and be fighting the other half of the holy warriors in the final chapters, but it would be cool to see the descendants of all the crusaders fighting together.

4 hours ago, CappnRob said:

Day/Night cycles with weather effects would actually be really interesting, especially on maps that are clearly meant to span a long amount of in-character time (Chapter 2, Chapter 4).

This would be an interesting suggestion. It would certainly make more sense in FE4 where chapters took months at a time, compared to something like, say, FE7 where heavy rain would stop and start multiple times over the course of a few hours.

It could also help balance horse units, since there'd always be a chance where poor weather conditions could seriously hamper their mobility, while infantry units would be mostly unaffected.

Edited by Slumber

No Gen 3, please. For everything else, I agree with CappnRob's suggestions.

Re: incest:

Arvis×Deidre is important to the plot and it is explicitly regarded as a bad thing, so it shouldn't be removed. Eldigan×Lachesis is implied, but is a part of their characters, so also is fine. Everything else is cousins so kind of fits the depicted fine period agree everyone is a noble and inbreeding runs rampant.

Edited by Vaximillian

My suggestions:

• Adding vulneraries and status items like antitoxin.
  • Allow to trade among units.
  • Adding rescue, take and drop.
  • Rising of weapon levels. No one shall have default weapon level.
  • Changing weapon weight: Weapons may not have same have might but total different weight. Azel with the fire tome is totally screwed. Also axes and lances must become lighter. A steel lance with 8 weight and a steel axe with 12 is the absolute maximum to tolerate.
  • Adding dark magic user in one of both generations at least.
  • Giving Arden a wyvern to make him finally usable.
Edited by Eleanor Hume

Most of the things I would like have been mentioned, but two things. An Encyclopedia Section like in Valkyria Chronicles that would have the information from all of the books and interviews to help strengthen the lore and story for the game. Second thing is an Expansion Pack of Thracia 776. Maybe even adding a few Thracia 776 characters to Gen 2 would be interesting.

Single Use items like vulneraries would possibly be interesting, another thing you can dump your gold into (especially if combined with the bank idea I posted). Antitoxins would be redundant though as I don't think there's any poison in FE4. Normalized trade and raising weapon levels though would undermine the main game though. As for a dark mage.... maybe give Salem a cameo in G2? idk lel. Wouldn't make much sense for there to be a dark mage in FE4 otherwise given they're all literal evil cultists.

22 hours ago, Vaximillian said:

Radiant Dawn would happen, which was excruciatingly and needlessly long.

Radiant Dawn wasn't that long(It's was about 50% longer than the typical FE), and the length fit the story. Most FEs stop before stuff gets truly dire and the apocalypse happens. In RD, stuff gets dire and the apocalypse effectively happens, and the last part of the game is dedicated to reversing it.

If anything, I would prefer bigger(IE console) FEs to be more along the lines of Radiant Dawn's length if anything. Fates really hammered home that I don't actually want multiple 30 hour experiences, when it feels like a 45 hour experience could have done everything in half the amount of time.

9 hours ago, qwernst said:

Most of the things I would like have been mentioned, but two things. An Encyclopedia Section like in Valkyria Chronicles that would have the information from all of the books and interviews to help strengthen the lore and story for the game. Second thing is an Expansion Pack of Thracia 776. Maybe even adding a few Thracia 776 characters to Gen 2 would be interesting.

A handful of Thracia characters could fit well in Gen 1, as well. Maybe we see Galzus as an antagonist to Holyn/Ayra, before he lost his wife, Mareeta, and went on a self-destructive journey.

Edited by Slumber

Arvis' name.

On 1/25/2017 at 1:35 AM, CappnRob said:

Game effectively has skill scrolls already with the skill rings it has. And unlike Thracia's skill scrolls that nets you the benefit of changing them around your party as your needs change (much like Radiant Dawn). So while I would like to see a larger use of skills scrolls in Fire Emblem (everyone should have easy access to Discipline!), not in a Holy War remake. The Skill Rings already fit the niche just fine.

On the subject of the incest, I'd like to point out that the most plot relevant one (and only one that's not merely implied) isn't actually shoved in your face all that much. It's massively important and the player is expected to realise it but I can't recall any scene where anyone actually says it outright. You're just meant to cop that both Deirdre and Alvis have Lopt Blood and that Deirdre is Cigyun's child. The relevant information is actually pretty dispersed throughout the game. Given that I actually imagine it'd be more than possible to keep it in without drawing much controversy. However I actually would like it if the plot point was expanded on a bit more. Or rather Alvis' arc got a bit more focus. He basically shows up as a swell guy who gives you a silver sword in chapter one and is suddenly a dick who's plotting sigurd's death the moment you see him in Chapter Five. Having some scenes where he first comes into contact with Deirdre and Manfroy would be very much appreciated. Genealogy of the Holy War is a big story  and I think a lot more scenes are actually needed for it to flow better. A large portion of the dialogue are character delivering exposition purely becuse there's so much information that needs to be put out there and not enough scenes to naturally say it.

Edited by Jotari

3 hours ago, Jotari said:

Arvis' name.

Game effectively has skill scrolls already with the skill rings it has. And unlike Thracia's skill scrolls that nets you the benefit of changing them around your party as your needs change (much like Radiant Dawn). So while I would like to see a larger use of skills scrolls in Fire Emblem (everyone should have easy access to Discipline!), not in a Holy War remake. The Skill Rings already fit the niche just fine.

On the subject of the incest, I'd like to point out that the most plot relevant one (and only one that's not merely implied) isn't actually shoved in your face all that much. It's massively important and the player is expected to realise it but I can't recall any scene where anyone actually says it outright. You're just meant to cop that both Deirdre and Alvis have Lopt Blood and that Deirdre is Cigyun's child. The relevant information is actually pretty dispersed throughout the game. Given that I actually imagine it'd be more than possible to keep it in without drawing much controversy. However I actually would like it if the plot point was expanded on a bit more. Or rather Alvis' arc got a bit more focus. He basically shows up as a swell guy who gives you a silver sword in chapter one and is suddenly a dick who's plotting sigurd's death the moment you see him in Chapter Five. Having some scenes where he first comes into contact with Deirdre and Manfroy would be very much appreciated. Genealogy of the Holy War is a big story  and I think a lot more scenes are actually needed for it to flow better. A large portion of the dialogue are character delivering exposition purely becuse there's so much information that needs to be put out there and not enough scenes to naturally say it.

I agree. They could do what Path Of Radiance did by showing a bit of what's going on elsewhere. The Mitsuki O-Sawa comic does that pretty well.

Pursuit should be changed. It should only a personal skill among few units that allows double attacking no matter how low your speed stat is. Normal doubling AKA doubling depending on your speed stat should obviously exist to make every unit's life easier.

Rescuing and Constitution should be added. I rather have a remake keep the large maps that made FE4 different. But that would still mean foot units will take some time just trying to catch up to your team. Therefore Rescue is a must so that the mounted units can easily drop off footies once they reach the midst of battle, so they can get some level ups. Or, you know, make some other strategies.

The arena should remain the same.

Love points only increase until two units can support each other. Not initiating the convo would mean no increase of love points. This is to prevent pairing screw ups that we all must have faced at one point in one of our playthroughs of FE4. Supports between same gender characters should work normally, however. Supports should also be unlimited, since the cast of playable units is really small compared to almost every other FE to exist.

Weapon rank should increase, obviously. 

Erin should either have better growth rates or more better bases than in the original game. And Dew and Patty should be able to steal items from enemy. Stealing money should still be a thing, and we should have an option of how much money lovers and thieves give. 

Save system, big maps, those lovely holy blood and weapon bonuses, repairing weapons, selling stuff so others could by, e.t.c. should remain. In case of the Pawn Shop anyone can buy anything, even if it's buying swords for a unit who uses axes. This is just mainly because of inheritance issues, such as Ulster inheriting nothing if his father is Lex.

I'll probably think of some more later.