Can Echoes really do it?

So after the reveal of Echoes, I just watched this opinion here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1gdHOBL1ck

And he's got a point...what if this game is not going to do well because of the fact that it will be purposefully reviewed poorly or that it won't appeal to the new comers alike?

I'm pretty positive that it will please the old fans of this game and that this game has the potential to actually tell gamers what FE really is. Of course FE7, FE9 and FE12 already did that but FE 15 here might do it better.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eyyy Ghast!

Anyway, like said above people need to keep their expectations in check. People expected Fates to be "amazing," but in the end a lot of people were disappointed it wasn't like Awakening, it was "Anime" af, or a game with a better story (the potential was there). 

From what I see fans of the game are super stoked of course, but the more modern fans seem to be hyped just cause Fire Emblem. Like said in the video, some people are going to be totally astonished at how many "new" and different features there are in the game. I learned a thing or two from the video myself such as magic costs HP and the Lion Heads. My friend who loves Awakening to death is afraid that it'll be too different. I'm afraid it won't do too well, and as of a result won't open up the possibility of more remakes. The fears of course exist as you know. Nobody can say for sure. We'll just have to see how this goes.

Edit: 3 AM ramblings^

I think the possibility exists modern FE fans seemed to like Conquest. Which as you know was the more "traditional" Fire Emblem. However, like I said (in my ramblings), Gaiden is very different. It all depends on how they remake the game.

Edited by Darthkeeper

Well, personally, I actually hope Echoes gets positive reviews and good sales.

The problem is of it appealing to "newer" fans, AKA Fates and Awakening fans, and this includes Japanese fans. Not appealing would mean poor sales. 

Although I am hoping that even the "newcomers" would enjoy Gaiden, even if it is way different from Conquest and doesn't include "waifu" stuff (I'll be honest, I expect a fan who's into supporting just for love confessions and kids, as well as fanservice, to most likely be disappointed with this game, simply because of different mechanics. Then again, I am being rather narrow minded here, so uh, sorry?)

4 hours ago, Flee Fleet! said:

The problem is of it appealing to "newer" fans, AKA Fates and Awakening fans, and this includes Japanese fans. Not appealing would mean poor sales. 

Although I am hoping that even the "newcomers" would enjoy Gaiden, even if it is way different from Conquest and doesn't include "waifu" stuff (I'll be honest, I expect a fan who's into supporting just for love confessions and kids, as well as fanservice, to most likely be disappointed with this game, simply because of different mechanics. Then again, I am being rather narrow minded here, so uh, sorry?)

That's what I'm worried about as well....I just don't know if people can accept the game for what it is even if its a good game....

I'm feeling optimistic because so far it looks like a better remake than SD was, so I think word of mouth will be generally positive.

That being said, fans should realistically expect differences from the newest games, since it is a remake of a very old game, and that implies that not every feature from the 3DS era will fit in. IS/Nintendo should probably also keep their own expectations in check though, as I do feel a remake likely won't sell as well as a brand new original game. I still expect it to sell fairly well though and hopefully reviews will help with that.

Chances are, Echoes will bring in some things to introduce newcomers, like a tutorial of sorts. My hopes are that whatever tutorial Echoes has for us, it can either be skipped or won't be as long or annoying as FE7's tutorial. While the story about Lyn was nice and all, I just wish I didn't have to deal with text boxes appearing out of nowhere filling me in on what I already know at this point. Hopefully they DON'T bring Phoenix mode back. Casual mode, while I don't like, I understand its existence. It can ease new players in better than Classic due to fallen units returning. While the game still punishes you for your mistakes, it doesn't take them away forever, so it gives new players a nice little learning experience. Phoenix mode spits on learning by bringing the units right back after falling, as if they only suffered flesh wounds and were pretending they were hurt to trick you. You don't learn anything if you don't lose anything. Honestly, Fire Emblem might be putting itself in a tough pickle here, but hopefully things go more swimmingly than it sort of looks here.

If it's exactly like Gaiden with a fresh layer of paint, I'm not getting the game. Stuff like magic users using up HP when performing magic and losing 1 HP when the attack is suppose to do 0 damage sounds like a poorly design game and the challenge comes across as challenging for the wrong reasons.

13 minutes ago, I'm a Spheal said:

If it's exactly like Gaiden with a fresh layer of paint, I'm not getting the game. Stuff like magic users using up HP when performing magic and losing 1 HP when the attack is suppose to do 0 damage sounds like a poorly design game and the challenge comes across as challenging for the wrong reasons.

We actually see celicia cast magic without losing HP in the direct.

5 hours ago, Flee Fleet! said:

I wouldn't mind confessions, but I just want good ol' high quality supports from ye' ol' gba era back!

7 minutes ago, Tuvy said:

I wouldn't mind confessions, but I just want good ol' high quality supports from ye' ol' gba era back!

Me too! For Mila's sake, I hope they add support!

Regarding a FE4 remake. I'm worried about them censoring the story (for reasons I've stated too many times now I sound like a broken record, plus Ghast said some of it too). And it'd be better for it to be remade on the Switch than the 3ds, since the maps are larger and there can be tons of enemy units on the map at a time. The 3DS probably had enough power for it, but it may be weird. It should have no problem with powering FE5-8 though.

As someone who previously was a massive critic of the potential of echoes being too faithful...I now no longer think that's the case and I'm worried that people will freak out over gaiden not having expected things like supports when gaiden is meant to be different from the other installments. It should be looked at as an experiment rather than another fire emblem game and I'm worried that reviewers will freak out like I did when they realize their precious supports and stuff aren't here. That's not to say wanting supports and stuff are bad but I just feel that gaiden should be gaiden and not just another fire emblem game.

I think Fire Emblem Echoes is in a tough position thanks to the game structure. It needs to be the balance of gaiden original gameplay and the elements fo recent fire emblems titles to be  able to obtain general success. Gaiden is a title very different to the franchise in general but i found that his gameplay elements could be well received by the international but at the same time some of them are very outdated, it really needs that "twist" that mention in the trailer than just being graphic update of the original.

6 hours ago, pinguyFrank said:

I think Fire Emblem Echoes is in a tough position thanks to the game structure. It needs to be the balance of gaiden original gameplay and the elements fo recent fire emblems titles to be  able to obtain general success. Gaiden is a title very different to the franchise in general but i found that his gameplay elements could be well received by the international but at the same time some of them are very outdated, it really needs that "twist" that mention in the trailer than just being graphic update of the original.

The thing is, even if Echoes were to add supports, you couldn't get children in this game and Gaiden from what I've read had many features that the recent games have implemented. 

The problem isn't what Echoes will do but what it won't do and if removing supports is something that it won't do, then older fans won't be pleased. If they do remove supports, then newer fans won't be pleased and depending on what Echoes will perform in the end, this might be the last chance of us seeing remakes of old games which means that remaking games like Path of Radiance or Radiant Dawn will not happen if this game fails. If this game does well, then we can see that happen and I really do wish that it does sell well in the end.

On the positive note, atleast the preorders in Japan are already stocked out i think....

2 hours ago, Harvey said:

The thing is, even if Echoes were to add supports, you couldn't get children in this game and Gaiden from what I've read had many features that the recent games have implemented. 

The problem isn't what Echoes will do but what it won't do and if removing supports is something that it won't do, then older fans won't be pleased. If they do remove supports, then newer fans won't be pleased and depending on what Echoes will perform in the end, this might be the last chance of us seeing remakes of old games which means that remaking games like Path of Radiance or Radiant Dawn will not happen if this game fails. If this game does well, then we can see that happen and I really do wish that it does sell well in the end.

On the positive note, atleast the preorders in Japan are already stocked out i think....

I have my hopes high now. but we need more info to be able to se were the things are going in Shadows of Valentia, the plot is solid enough to no need drastic changes (if there are implemented), Gaiden original gameplay is well suited to merge with the style of recent titles of the series (even some elements of Gaiden are used in those games with few diferences) the "twist" that hope for the game is a good aplication of recent gameplay mechanics other than just supports: like skills, penalties for weapons, a new version of the pair up system for battles, somekind of unit cosmetic customization.

On 1/25/2017 at 0:02 PM, Dinar87 said:

As someone who previously was a massive critic of the potential of echoes being too faithful...I now no longer think that's the case and I'm worried that people will freak out over gaiden not having expected things like supports when gaiden is meant to be different from the other installments. It should be looked at as an experiment rather than another fire emblem game and I'm worried that reviewers will freak out like I did when they realize their precious supports and stuff aren't here. That's not to say wanting supports and stuff are bad but I just feel that gaiden should be gaiden and not just another fire emblem game.

Thanks IGN and Kotaku. 

I assumed that they felt like they were in a safe enough place to be able to make a remake of such a black-sheep weird old game in the series to see how it would do and to be okay with taking a hit. And then hopefully still continue Echoes with a game that is more modern. Who knows, though. 

I agree with Ghast! Hopefully people won't be disappointed. 

On 1/25/2017 at 11:46 PM, Dandy Druid said:

Regarding a FE4 remake. I'm worried about them censoring the story (for reasons I've stated too many times now I sound like a broken record, plus Ghast said some of it too). And it'd be better for it to be remade on the Switch than the 3ds, since the maps are larger and there can be tons of enemy units on the map at a time. The 3DS probably had enough power for it, but it may be weird. It should have no problem with powering FE5-8 though.

Eh, I don't think there's much of a reason to censor anything in FE4. The incest between Eldigan and Lachesis and the marriage between Deirdre and Alvis, despite the fact they were half siblings and did not even know of it are the only things close to censoring, but only the latter is of actual  importance to the plot. Be glad they scrapped the idea of Julius having "a good time" with his own mother. Yeah, FE4! Incest could have been at the extreme!

Also, regarding FE4 again:

Spoiler

I hope they don't make it an option to save Manhya in Gen1. Her death was tragic, yes, but there should be emotional moments like this in FE. The Camus archetype isn't just enough. 

4 hours ago, Flee Fleet! said:

Eh, I don't think there's much of a reason to censor anything in FE4. The incest between Eldigan and Lachesis and the marriage between Deirdre and Alvis, despite the fact they were half siblings and did not even know of it are the only things close to censoring, but only the latter is of actual  importance to the plot. Be glad they scrapped the idea of Julius having "a good time" with his own mother. Yeah, FE4! Incest could have been at the extreme!

Also, regarding FE4 again:

Reveal hidden contents

I hope they don't make it an option to save Manhya in Gen1. Her death was tragic, yes, but there should be emotional moments like this in FE. The Camus archetype isn't just enough. 

what do you think they should handle the second generation marriages there some controversial matters leaking there too?

Edited by pinguyFrank

1 hour ago, pinguyFrank said:

what do you think they should handle the second generation marriages there some controversial matters leaking there?

huh? I don't know anything about that? 

The only "controversial" marriage I guess is between Seliph and Julia, but that's just a glitch by the jealousy system.

1 hour ago, Flee Fleet! said:

huh? I don't know anything about that? 

The only "controversial" marriage I guess is between Seliph and Julia, but that's just a glitch by the jealousy system.

Spoiler

there are a lot of marriage between cousins in this generation and apart  from that that scene with Leen and Bramsel... will they could come intact to the west?