Jump to content
Harvey

Can Echoes really do it?

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Tryhard said:

i mean, if we wanna go there, azel is a bastard child born through his father raping a maid before committing suicide years later. oh fe4.

http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Victor_(Genealogy_of_the_Holy_War)

you can't really change that implication without just removing it

Oh god why did I forget that.

To be honest, it will be really hard to censor anything from FE4 without having to change the plot. And nobody wants the plot to change, really...

 

At best, Sylvia can be turned 18, but yeah, that's pretty much it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, as one of those awful newcomers to the series (I started with Awakening, and only last year), I'm looking forward to this game; I don't have any real expectations, and although I loved the supports in both Awakening and Fates, I'm enough of a big girl to cope without them. 

And although I do have the GBA releases for the WiiU, trying to delve into the back-library of a series like Fire Emblem is difficult and/or expensive for most of the entries in the series, so I don't think a lack of interest in the older games ought to be held against newcomers, and remakes like these are really valuable to new fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Res said:

Well, as one of those awful newcomers to the series (I started with Awakening, and only last year), I'm looking forward to this game; I don't have any real expectations, and although I loved the supports in both Awakening and Fates, I'm enough of a big girl to cope without them. 

And although I do have the GBA releases for the WiiU, trying to delve into the back-library of a series like Fire Emblem is difficult and/or expensive for most of the entries in the series, so I don't think a lack of interest in the older games ought to be held against newcomers, and remakes like these are really valuable to new fans.

Nothing wrong with starting with Awakening it was your first nothing wrong with that at all. I mean Echoes look like it can be successful one because of the mobile game coming out and it help people become more aware and the other it an fire emblem game going to buy it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Res said:

Well, as one of those awful newcomers to the series (I started with Awakening, and only last year), I'm looking forward to this game; I don't have any real expectations, and although I loved the supports in both Awakening and Fates, I'm enough of a big girl to cope without them. 

And although I do have the GBA releases for the WiiU, trying to delve into the back-library of a series like Fire Emblem is difficult and/or expensive for most of the entries in the series, so I don't think a lack of interest in the older games ought to be held against newcomers, and remakes like these are really valuable to new fans.

Oh pssh, like mike said, nothing wrong with starting out with Awakening, and I wouldn't call newcomers "awful" haha. What you've stated is fair, if you do aim to physically purchase the older FE games, it can cost quite a bit of money and isn't really worth it to many. (I hope you enjoy the GBA games, though~)

Anyways I'm sure Echoes is going to be fine. If anything we should just hold tight on speculation until more information is released. Also, mike did bring up a good point with the mobile game, it's sure to bring awareness to the series so in terms of sales, I'm sure Echoes will be perfectly dandy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are just a corner to the release (3 months for japan 4 for the rest of the world)  and no information apart the trailer have arrive soon i don't know what to expect for the game in a good way. I know that until now heroes has been the main focus as is releasing in this days, but a little more info will help to understand this upcoming game and its chances a lot better.

Edited by pinguyFrank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2017 at 5:53 PM, SuperIb said:

Oh pssh, like mike said, nothing wrong with starting out with Awakening, and I wouldn't call newcomers "awful" haha. What you've stated is fair, if you do aim to physically purchase the older FE games, it can cost quite a bit of money and isn't really worth it to many. (I hope you enjoy the GBA games, though~)

I just have to find the time to sit down and play them; Fire Emblem works so well on a mobile platform that I wish everything was re-released for the DS! 

On 2/1/2017 at 9:34 AM, mikethepokemaster said:

Nothing wrong with starting with Awakening it was your first nothing wrong with that at all. I mean Echoes look like it can be successful one because of the mobile game coming out and it help people become more aware and the other it an fire emblem game going to buy it.

Yes! The mobile game seems like a really great way to introduce the series to people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really hope it does well, like some other says, as long as we do not expect Echoes to be something it's not, I think it'll do well and yeah, the mobile game's a good way to introduce these to peop.e. I've never played the original Gaiden and only played Sacred Stones, SD, and Birthright but I'm excited for this nonetheless.  Too bad there's no special edition for the western release though, it would be really awesome to get that artbook :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2017 at 9:13 AM, Flee Fleet! said:

Oh god why did I forget that.

To be honest, it will be really hard to censor anything from FE4 without having to change the plot. And nobody wants the plot to change, really...

 

At best, Sylvia can be turned 18, but yeah, that's pretty much it.

Which is why a lot of people say it was a good thing FE4 wasn't localized at the time, especially considering incest is a major plot point. The sheer amount of bastardization it would have gone through to become acceptable to Nintendo's standards at the time is a bit scary to think about.

Though a remake in the modern day wouldn't be censored, I think. Nintendo of America is much laxer on that sort of stuff; even POR/RD got a lot of stuff past the censors that wouldn't have flown back in the 90s, like genocide and whatnot, though...a couple of things were censored inexplicably, like Shinon's drunk rant at Ike in POR. It's only gotten less restricted since then.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Extrasolar said:

Which is why a lot of people say it was a good thing FE4 wasn't localized at the time, especially considering incest is a major plot point. The sheer amount of bastardization it would have gone through to become acceptable to Nintendo's standards at the time is a bit scary to think about.

Yeah, pretty much. Considering how Nintendo used to censor so many games (such as the famous "censoring blood as sweat" in the first Mortal Kombat), I ouldn't be surprised how much FE4 would have been censored during those times.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2017 at 3:48 AM, Harvey said:

So after the reveal of Echoes, I just watched this opinion here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1gdHOBL1ck

And he's got a point...what if this game is not going to do well because of the fact that it will be purposefully reviewed poorly or that it won't appeal to the new comers alike?

I'm pretty positive that it will please the old fans of this game and that this game has the potential to actually tell gamers what FE really is. Of course FE7, FE9 and FE12 already did that but FE 15 here might do it better.

 

Well Awakening got plenty of good reviews that I disagree with so I think we'll be just fine. Although Gaiden isn't exactly a very well-liked game in the fanbase from what I've seen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lyon's Dirge said:

Well Awakening got plenty of good reviews that I disagree with so I think we'll be just fine. Although Gaiden isn't exactly a very well-liked game in the fanbase from what I've seen. 

I think it's because people have a low tolerance for older games in general these days. Growing up with an NES, none of Gaiden's limitations really haunt me because I still have a mindset that Gaiden was an incredible game for its time, and I can appreciate it for that. I'm not sure the newcomers have that kind of patience, but a faster UI should fix a ton in and of itself.

It's also different, and we know how that goes. I don't think it's a coincidence that I love both Gaiden and Zelda II.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

I think it's because people have a low tolerance for older games in general these days. Growing up with an NES, none of Gaiden's limitations really haunt me because I still have a mindset that Gaiden was an incredible game for its time, and I can appreciate it for that. I'm not sure the newcomers have that kind of patience, but a faster UI should fix a ton in and of itself.

It's also different, and we know how that goes. I don't think it's a coincidence that I love both Gaiden and Zelda II.

Pretty much this. NES-era games have a lot of problems when viewing them from the modern day, as well as strange design choices, considering video games were a completely new medium at the time. Designers learned from experience on what mechanics could be frustrating to play with, as well as us simply having more powerful technology capable of doing more.

I also think it's a case of people being spoiled by the much expanded content of the later games in the series. Take Shadow Dragon, for example; on its own, it's a fine strategy RPG game, but it's also a very slightly updated version of a game that came out 20 years ago, and it lacks the bells and whistles that, say, the GBA games and the Tellius games had. People had come to expect those features from FE, and because it didn't have them, it was viewed much less favorably

Gaiden was a very experimental game, even in the context of the era. I'm not entirely sure how well-received it was during its release in Japan, but I imagine a lot of the new mechanics didn't go over well with fans of the first game, the health-using magic being one of them.

Edited by Extrasolar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...