Testing Battle Sprite Animations

Zelkami

I've started making simple edits to battle sprites, and I've started with a simple edit of the Necromancer spell cast animation.

This is what I have so far. I'm not much of an animator, so I'd like to test out what I have so see if I've made an error somewhere. Does anyone know of a program that can let me preview the animation? I tried using Piskel, but I'm working off a sheet I downloaded from FEplanet, and the frames are not parallel to each other. I'd rather not move the frames around individually and risk mucking up the sheet somehow.

atorE5S.png

Photoscape has a GIF maker if that's what you're looking for.

If you're trying to test in game to debug any technical issues, dump the frames and script with FEditor, edit the frames in question, then reinsert using the script.

The way the animations work in a gba fire emblem game is that they are put into a script (or rather, a script is written with their name and location in it and then said script is inserted into the game, along with the info for each frame). 

This script essentially tells the game which frame to show and when to show it, when to play certain sounds, when to play a spell animation, when to deal damage, which animation is the crit and which is normal, etc...

If you want to test your animation in-game then you have to make a script for it, in which case Blazer's Ultimate rom hacking tutorial (I'm lazy so just google it, it's pretty easy to find) has a pretty good tutorial on how to make a script. 

Alternatively, if you instead feel like letting someone else make the script for you but still want to see for yourself what your animation is looking like, a gifmaker is a pretty good option.

Edited by Kyne