TearRing Saga! My Blind Playthrough - Finale

Deltre

You've already seen Nosferatu, and it's dark magic. How could you forget that kickass snake, Deltre? How could you? D:

Also yeah, if you go through the fortifications it's... about as slow and awful as the desert. Not that hard to break the gates and whatnot, but there are stairs all the way, and guess what type of terrain can't be traversed by mounted units... On the plus side, it puts you in a more favorable position to deal with the Condor squad.

Letena's personal Silence is actually super useful on later maps. Probably not as useful as having a trained Lionel, but hey, you can make do with that. Rebecca does replace her with summons available early and... similar stats really. I guess she does learn Charm at level thirty-fucking-eight? Her entire character can be summed up as "I come from the mystery village in the desert" "Can you develop that thought?" "No"

And... you've started the next map already. Okay, well, there's not many hints that haven't already seen for yourself, and you've probably guessed what to do with Vega and Douchenheimer:
> Arkis is not a Dark Knight reinforcement so yeah, just look more carefully at their starting stats. Only Rina can talk to him.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason the Thief Swords didn't work is because those bummy Myrmidons couldn't even touch Vega haha. I think the first one was a fluke tbh. He did a pretty good job of tanking Devil Lances with his face though, regardless of there not being a weapon triangle.

Ya know, I should have seen it coming that Kreiss and Arkis would be trash. Really, it's only Cain and Abel that break the game in half, and even then only in FE1. I guess Luke to an extent but he flies solo. Finn too I suppose, but there's only one of him sadly. 

Yeah you're absolutely right, we've seen Nosferatu several times now. Probably would have made a bigger impact if the first time I saw it the Dark Mages didn't get mopped up by a group of Greenies. Still, that was definitely a mistake on my part. Here's my Fire Emblem Fan Card, I don't deserve it :(

Congrats on getting through this mess. And getting the Movement Potion while you were at it, so you got at least something out of this. Well, that and seeing Eugen diss Arkis.

I don't remember getting a Thief Sword drop on this map though. I guess that guy must have been killed by one of my summons. Fortunately I didn't have Arkis with me when I did this map, so I could just use a bunch of summons as a distraction.

Btw, Star weapons like the Rukuud cannot be stolen. And Raquel would have had a far easier time dodging if she didn't have that heavy Crossbow equipped.

There would also have been another event if you had opened the cell with the NPCs. I don't remember what you would actually have gotten out of it, though. Probably just a few money bags.

And your Vega is doing really well. He is getting pretty close towards capping his Speed and Skill stats. Unfortunately just like FE4, the game won't tell you when you actually hit a stat cap but no class ever goes beyond 25, except for luck which caps for everyone at 30. Swordmasters have a cap of 25 in both Speed and Skill.

Edited by BrightBow

Kaga's Cancerous Christmas Cavs Cavalcade. I am convinced that Eugen is Deltre himself in this wide open world speaking his mind.

Lina is not great, just like her brother. Sure she's got high movement(and has the same growth as Leonie, 10%), but she's got an appalling 4 base Strength mounted and an even worse 10% Strength growth. She does have a 40% Magic growth so she could get away with Levin Sword spam, but you already have plenty of people who can do that just as well as she could or even better(Mel, Sasha, Martel, Frau...). So you were right on the money in that Kreiss and everyone related to him is cursed. ' 3'

Oh, and about that event you missed that BrightBow mentioned - you're gonna love this, Deltre - that cell with all of those unexplained female civilians? If you opened it up, they would have revealed themselves to be bandits in disguise. All of them have Money Bags, so you could've made some easy dollah if you did that. But it's a shame you missed that, your reaction would've been golden. E:

2 hours ago, Mage Knight 404 said:

Lina is not great, just like her brother. Sure she's got high movement(and has the same growth as Leonie, 10%), but she's got an appalling 4 base Strength mounted and an even worse 10% Strength growth. She does have a 40% Magic growth so she could get away with Levin Sword spam, but you already have plenty of people who can do that just as well as she could or even better(Mel, Sasha, Martel, Frau...). So you were right on the money in that Kreiss and everyone related to him is cursed. ' 3'

I'm not sure if that 10% growth is actually correct. In another run I've seen, she got strength all the time. I mean, look at this:

Spoiler

154-capture_477_10022013_174324.jpg161-capture_496_10022013_175044.jpg35-capture_095_15062013_182952.jpg

92-capture_240_15062013_212003.jpg

That player gave her the Salia Codex but even with that she should still only have 20%.

Either way, I don't think she is any good with magic swords since she doesn't start out with any magic.

Edited by BrightBow

Did you change your recording setup or something? You sounded different in this video.

Fun fact, Runan gained Charm/Charisma from promotion! The... game doesn't tell you for some reason. If he were still under level 7 (how?!), he would have learned Adept as well. Do keep in your mind how Runan handled his speech, btw. Serious, humble, apologetic, and full of hope for the future. Just... remember that for later. :^_^:

(Also the guys dressing up as civilians change titles to "Crossdressers" when they reveal themselves. That's... one way of putting it.)

Edited by Miacis

Looks like the human trafficker is blasting off again... But yeah, this one was far easier to digest since it was consistently lighthearted. The Yuni version on the other hand... not so much. I mean it already starts with her being drugged and by the time Xeno found her she was still unconscious, yet already dressed in that dancer outfit. The implication that this guy stripped her while she was out seem to be deliberate too, seeing how Xeno realized that guy would have to know where Yuni was because he noticed her clothes laying around. And of course unnamed slaver guy still gets to walk away yet again for some reason.

Since I would prefer if this doesn't end up the only thing I talk about for this part, I'd say Bismark was a very appropriate name for this boss, seeing how he is the Captain of a ship that is completely outmatched by Holmes. Well, assuming he was named after the German Battleship and not the Prussian of course.

Edit: And apparently you need to have Plum and Lionheart Holmes' route in order for them to meet. That's a bit of a bummer. Lionheart is a strong Bow Knight and Plum is a freaking dancer, so I'd say they are definitely more useful on Runan's route. And Aura Rain + Dance is particularly hilarious.

And I kinda preferred San's name as Sun. It just seemed like an hilarious name to have for a Black Knight. Either way, Sunny has to be the most adorable representative of this trope ever.

And a little tip: Lyra's WLV may be painfully low but a single WLV potion would be just enough for her to get it high enough to use a Physic staff. She is unlikely to get the 3 points she needs otherwise.

Edited by BrightBow

Hmm Lina sounds underwhelming to say the least. Bummer, a 9 move pony would have been pretty tight, not even gonna lie. I guess they had to make her kinda bad though or else she'd be so broken. 

I did change the setup slightly. New microphone hype!. Not sure how you would even go about getting Runan promoted before level 7 though lol. I've barely used him since his Rapier broke (seriously, he's almost always made a beeline right for the throne on every Seize map) and mine is like 12-13ish. Even if you were going hardcore LTC I don't know that he'd be under 7 because again, he has the Rapier which has its uses. 

I'm kinda upset that I missed the Juni version of that event. It didn't hit me until after I made a choice that you guys had mentioned that she was going to have an event over on Holmes's route. I might go back and see the other option idk yet, I'd have to load from the desert map. 

Lots of story this time, a lot of which I'm sure will be important. It's kind of a ton of information to take in all at once, but on the other hand I've played Chrono Cross so exposition like this is basically a day in the life at this point. 

10 hours ago, Deltre said:

Lots of story this time, a lot of which I'm sure will be important. It's kind of a ton of information to take in all at once, but on the other hand I've played Chrono Cross so exposition like this is basically a day in the life at this point. 

Represent.

Doesn't seem like people have talked about Sierra yet? She's... as you saw, really. Her stats are fairly middling with growths to match, but obviously she has double draws in both Dark magic and her Warp skill, which has really sick applications as you'd expect. She really benefits from the Sylph spell as her shutting down counters helps her out a lot. You'd have another shot at recruiting her eventually, but you get her now if Shigen went down before the second route split, so there ya go.

Give her some stat potions and have her go to town, you know you wanna.

Sierra fed with some statboosters and maybe an Ensorcel buff can do crazy things.

btw I wonder whether San was intended in Japanese as something similar to Frau is in German.

Edited by Aggro Incarnate

22 hours ago, Mage Knight 404 said:

Represent.

You already know. I'd been wanting to play it again too, but I'm afraid of Miguel. HlyDragSwd? More like HlyFkinSht.

17 hours ago, Aggro Incarnate said:

Sierra fed with some statboosters and maybe an Ensorcel buff can do crazy things.

btw I wonder whether San was intended in Japanese as something similar to Frau is in German.

To be honest, I didn't even consider Enscorcel. That sounds absolutely hilarious if I'm being 100% real with you haha.

It's a good day for Sierra fans, and Holmes fans as well. Less so if you're into Krishna though. . . 

6 hours ago, Deltre said:

You already know. I'd been wanting to play it again too, but I'm afraid of Miguel. HlyDragSwd? More like HlyFkinSht.

You are well-versed my son. Bro use Diminish.

Enjoying more of that sick moral ambiguity and after realizing that Holmes is the best around, you also get to enjoy Renee! She's pretty self-explanatory, essentially a cleric with better stats and caps, comparable to a Sage. She has better movement and you already know how those two staves are gonna help your cause so I may as well stop talking. She's gonna make your life a lot easier. ' 3'

Ah, but soon we're gonna get into a fun little map! ...And then Krishna's little "excursion" which is less fun.

On the next map there will be a bunch of houses with guys who will teach you skills for free but just like Blaad you can revisit this place after the battle. So you don't need to decide who gets those skills immediately and can focus on making sure that the houses don't get destroyed.

That second ship battle actually had a Dragon Knight mini boss showing up. But of course you finished things so early that you didn't give the poor guy a chance to join the fun.

Renee would have also had a small conversation with Pike after you recruited her. Nothing spectacular by any means.

And there would have also been another scene if you finished the Granada chapter without killing the boss. Theodora would have shown up and she and Shion would have left together. Though I'm pretty sure Shion is never mentioned after this chapter either way.

And yeah, you need Attrom to recruit Renee. Since my Attrom died on my first run, I missed out on her too. Sucks that the guy who is just a worse version of Xeno is needed to get no less then two priests. The stuff users in this game are all really easy to miss, so I was really lacking in healers at that point. With Katri leaving, I only had Enteh, Lee and Mel to support two armies.

Flurry is simply Charge as a Command skill, so enemies can counter since it simply triggers additional rounds of combat. Btw, Flurry is actually a class skill for Black Knights, so Sun would get it no matter when she promotes.

On another note, I really love how Runan and Holmes can reach lv 30 by default. That way they can still get a late promotion without frustrating the player by hitting their cap early. It's simple but brilliant. I don't get why Fire Emblem kept clinging to the whole "cap at lv 20 and reset to lv 1" thing. I don't see this system accomplishing anything other then tricking new players into thinking that the Jagen is actually a low-level unit.

Btw, why is your Plum not carrying any staffs?

Edited by BrightBow

Whoa, whoa, hold on. There's supposed to be a lot more text after Holmes's speech. Did you accidentally skip it during the cheers? You might wanna do a double take on that one. Try and see if you can do it without killing Xyon this time. The dialogue isn't just slightly different, you get a pretty relevant detail about what's going on in the world, and how Sennet's campaign is fairing. And I guess it explains why we'll be seeing less and less of a certain unit type.

Btw, I'm pretty sure it's possible to distract Renee from warping people away by just injuring enemies near her, so she'll run up and heal them instead. Not super sure how reliable that is, but I guess that'd be a reason to not use Nosferatu.

As for the next map, most has already been said, but I'll add that it's completable in one turn! Without combat! Kaga designs! :newyears:

Oh, and once you've had a bit of a preview of what kinda skills the trainers in the next map teach, here's a lil' cheat list of who learns which on their own, so you don't end up teaching stuff to people who learn it anyways. Characters you don't use have been omitted. (late) means "in 10+ levels".

Spoiler

So, don't teach the skill on the left to the people on the right, basically. Unless they learn it (late) and you have no other good candidate.

Draco: Shigen (late), Xeno [Only triggers at 1 range, and I don't think I've seen anyone trigger it on a horse, so keep that in mind.]

Adept: Alicia (late), Holmes (late), Mahter, Samson (late)

Vantage: Samson, Shigen (very late)

Luna: San

You won't get the opportunity to bring anyone from Runan's group over here, so keep that in mind when planning who learns what.

Edited by Miacis

On 3/16/2017 at 2:27 AM, Miacis said:

Whoa, whoa, hold on. There's supposed to be a lot more text after Holmes's speech. Did you accidentally skip it during the cheers? You might wanna do a double take on that one. Try and see if you can do it without killing Xyon this time. The dialogue isn't just slightly different, you get a pretty relevant detail about what's going on in the world, and how Sennet's campaign is fairing. And I guess it explains why we'll be seeing less and less of a certain unit type.

At least some of the dialogue involves Julia who's not here so...

The treasure in the Tower is random, just like the enemies are. You could in theory get some really rare items like Dragon Flutes here but you can probably see why this just isn't worth it: You need to be lucky for the right chests to be closed, you need to be lucky for them to contain the item you want and you need to hope that the game won't just spawn a thief right next to it. Nevermind all the other bullshit enemy formations that you may have to deal with just for the chance of getting the right item. For that third floor in particular it's next to hopeless to get to the chests in time without using Warp. And of course Renee's staffs are an irreplaceable resource that one wouldn't want to spend on a random battle.

Still, you got some good items so far. I usually only get Herbs and stuff like that.

Edited by BrightBow

On 17/03/2017 at 7:56 AM, Ranger Jack Walker said:

At least some of the dialogue involves Julia who's not here so...

Aw damn. I thought it was another Blahd-like party, but yeah, Julia's more center-stage than I thought.

Welp, Deltre, the gist of those two scenes:

Spoiler

Shigen say Holmes's speech was kinda shit.
Vals has her new lady bring some wine to Holmes so they start partying.
Garo finds the wine too refined and wish they'd get some real man's booze.
Julia however, is quite drunk and some hijinx ensue as Holmes teases Garo on whether he likes girls getting nasty once they're drunk.
Julia starts rambling about how she can't wash the smell of blood away and can't stand it anymore,
Shigen tells Holmes she had to push herself a lot to actually start killing anything, and developed a bit of drinking problem because of it.
He carries a sleeping Julia back to her bed, and she asks him to stay with her for a bit, just like when they were kids and she was feeling lonely.
There's a bit of world-building, telling us how Yoda and the men of Yr had to leave the island to support their families.
Shigen reassures Julia one last time that she does not smell of blood, and she falls asleep.

As for the scene you missed for her in Yr,

Spoiler

Yoda forgives Julia for leaving the island without a word, and asks her to show her progress in swordsmanship.
Combat! Julia misses Yoda a bunch, and he crits her twice in return.
Yoda is not impressed, and shows her the Astra skill, that she should be able to use because Zoan blood or something.
Combat again! Julia misses Yoda a bunch, but finally lands a crit on him, and learns Astra!
Shigen gives her praise, Yoda reassures her not to be scared of her sword, and tells Shigen she might be falling for him... uuhuh.

Speaking of, Yoda does have some unique animations for trigerring crits/skills, so if he's around, it might be worth turning on animations here and there, I dunno.

Also, Barbarossa doesn't have a niece, but he does have a daughter: Silva, captain of the Black Knights. (And yes, that means you killed San's grandpa.) She was accompanying Sennet and Tia, just like Resshea, which is probably what confused you. Also I just realized that San's dad is brother to king Dagnell of Salia, making her Katri's cousin. Neat.
But yeah, Resshea, the princess of Sophia, is the youngest child of king Bahanuk of Canaan, from his second marriage (I assume his second wife was Sophian royalty?). His first marriage gave him Barker, Julius and Arless. I'm not sure which of these tidbits was revealed or not by now, but I know none of them is supposed to be a big reveal, and the TRS family trees are confusing, so here ya go.

And finally, here's a little guide for the next re-group:

Spoiler

Make sure you do stock up with both Runan and Holmes. The latter cannot freely roam around anymore.

Kate and Sasha: It technically doesn't matter which side they're on, just make sure they're on the same side. However, picking Holmes's side will make a later chapter a tad easier and... offers a chance for Kate to put an end to her storyline.

On Runan's side:

Mintz: Recruits a character.

Letena: Her Silence staff lets you take some of the edge of a rather difficult map.

Take most of your mounted units, and no more than one flier. There are indoor maps, so do keep some footsoldiers and at least one chest-opener. Grab hammers and all the armor-slaying weapons you can find, and a few monster-slayers (but do keep the bulk of them on Holmes's side).

On Holmes' side:

Sierra, fliers, including Raffin for indoors, most footsoldiers. Bring a halberd, monster-slaying weapons, and monster slayers.

The last secret shop is on this route, so bring the Guild Key.

Both:

Bow users will find very good use on both routes, even Raquel. See if you can have one door key in each group, as well. Make sure to spread out your healers, and remember Lyria can give +10 Str to a character for the entirety of a map... 14 times.

Roger and Mel still can't be separated. Mel+Merriah will still produce hilarious results though.

I'm sure you'll agree that the unique magic spell you will get before the split is of text.gif. Might be good to put it on a side where someone can use it... maybe? Who knows.

Edited by Miacis

6 hours ago, BrightBow said:

The treasure in the Tower is random, just like the enemies are. You could in theory get some really rare items like Dragon Flutes here but you can probably see why this just isn't worth it: You need to be lucky for the right chests to be closed, you need to be lucky for them to contain the item you want and you need to hope that the game won't just spawn a thief right next to it. Nevermind all the other bullshit enemy formations that you may have to deal with just for the chance of getting the right item. For that third floor in particular it's next to hopeless to get to the chests in time without using Warp. And of course Renee's staffs are an irreplaceable resource that one wouldn't want to spend on a random battle.

Still, you got some good items so far. I usually only get Herbs and stuff like that.

I guess I got lucky then haha. That's a very strange way of handling this area, at the very least I'd hope that the harder ones to get give better items on average!

5 hours ago, Miacis said:

Also, Barbarossa doesn't have a niece, but he does have a daughter: Silva, captain of the Black Knights. (And yes, that means you killed San's grandpa.) She was accompanying Sennet and Tia, just like Resshea, which is probably what confused you. Also I just realized that San's dad is brother to king Dagnell of Salia, making her Katri's cousin. Neat.
But yeah, Resshea, the princess of Sophia, is the youngest child of king Bahanuk of Canaan, from his second marriage (I assume his second wife was Sophian royalty?). His first marriage gave him Barker, Julius and Arless. I'm not sure which of these tidbits was revealed or not by now, but I know none of them is supposed to be a big reveal, and the TRS family trees are confusing, so here ya go.

I was thinking of Stephanie, actually. But I do feel even worse for killing Barbarossa now haha. 

I really do love how Kaga games tend to have this interconnected cast so much to the point that you'll basically never catch everything on the first playthrough. It makes it way more believable that these people would actually join up and fight together, at least in my eyes, when everyone has their own relationships, backstories, motivations, etc. that they could reasonably expect to fulfill by coming along for the journey. Sometimes it really feels like characters join for the lolz (not just Awakening or That One Game either), whereas I feel like I could probably tell you why each and every unit I have is here, what they hope to accomplish, etc. It's neat. 

Ended up going a bit long on this one so I had to cut out the last floor for now sadly. On the bright side, Alicia now has Vantage and Sierra has Wrath so the game is over. 

Well, this escalated quickly.

I didn't notice until I went back to edit either, but I'm 99% certain that Bishop Law is actually.

Spoiler

Morse

Hopefully next time I'll get to exact my sweet sweet revenge on you know who. Or he could pull his head out of his ass and rejoin me seriously Zieg you're tearing me apart here

The reason you couldn't ask Morse's apprentice for anything is because none of your units were dead. If one was, you could have used the charges of the Dakruon to revive them there.

As bad as Krishnea is, she does have a decent magic base. So if you would actually use her, you could get some good use out of her using Thunder Swords. The reason I bring this up is because this can actually screw you over if she leaves the party wielding one. If she has a Thunder Sword when she reappears in the Tower of Morse, she will actually move and attack the monsters over the walls, probably killing herself before you get a chance to get to her.

If you had left anyone in charge of the shops north of Blaad, they would have rejoined you on the map with the Gargoyles.

Also, man this Nevkha fellow is a complete chump. Poor guy only got 3 Movement with no Warp to make up for it.

Something I find interesting about Deltre's Zieg on this map:

Spoiler

Zieg's stats are interesting. They are significantly higher then they are on my current run, where I simply killed him when he first appeared. But they are not entirely identical to the one he had when he left Deltre's party either. His skill is slightly higher and his WLV is slightly lower. So there seems to be something more going on other then his stats simply carrying over.

His level is also higher. Seems like he will be lv 25 no matter what.

Edit:

This "Black Rain" of that Gerxel fellow is probably a reference to the radioactive black rain that followed the Hiroshima/Nagasaki bombings. At least I think that because the whole situation with each of the four nations having their own unstoppable holy dragon capable of destroying an entire country gives me rather strong cold war vibes.

Edited by BrightBow

Don't you love how the game teases you about an upcoming desert chapter, then goes "Nah jk bro. heres your treasure"? Also remember how Raquel nearly killed Roger, and then missed him on purpose like 5 times? You'd figure Roger would remember it, but I guess not...

The Dahkruon lets you do some pretty neat things, btw. If you chose Ruka all the way back when and let Raquel's sidequest play out, he would die during map 26, making her break her vow to never kill human beings. If you didn't rush Holmes's chapters, that allows you to revive him at the Tower, though I'm not sure (and actually curious...) if the game acknowledges it, story-wise.

You can also kill Krishna before she steals the Dahkruon, go all the way up the tower, revive her, then get back into the tower, and deploy her on the 5th floor (where you'd usually retrieve her). This tricks the game into thinking you did all the events properly and so Shigen can talk to her, which makes the game... add another Krishna to the party. That's right, for the price of one Dahkruon use, you can get two shitty Myrmidons! And here's the fun thing, because pointers are already set, one's inventory will always overwrite the other's. This lets you do really stupid shit, like duplicate items, or delete items you're not supposed to lose. It also makes the Epilogue think you both completed Krishna's events and didn't, so one Krishna runs off to do her own thing, and the other goes do something else, it's pretty amusing.

Speaking of killing people for benefits, if you went all this way to recruit Letena but don't have Ezekiel in your party, killing Kreiss (or Letena if you didn't want to recruit her and did her quest by accident how??) would cancel her event, and neither survivor would leave. However, this is also the point where you can't go back to Morse Tower anymore, so whoever you kill will stay dead.

And wow, I just realized, you didn't say much when Raphael mentionned Liza's son, but this actually kind of a big plot point that was missed early on! (I thought it was revealed again in the Epilogue, but nope!) So in the very first Route Split, you brought Sasha onto Runan's route because Raphael boosts her stats, and gets a support with her. If you had brought her to Holmes's side, she'd get a support with him, and that's because... she recognizes the pendant he's wearing (but isn't shown in any of his art...) and it leads to a series of events where, when he arrives at Castle Wellt, Liza recognizes him as her son. She was one of the Salian pegasus knights during the Balt war, and that's where she met both Raphael of Wellt, and Vals of Granada. And before marrying the former, she had one son with the latter: Holmes. How's this for replayability, and an interconnected cast, huh?

There's not many hints left to give at this point, the game is pretty much done with its cryptic bullshit, tbh. This map is where the last Secret Shop is, I guess. Oh, and I misremembered Canticle's special effect in my route split recap, so ignore that thing I said about it. It does prevent counters, which is pretty neat.

Edited by Miacis

This next map is going to feature infinite reinforcements. Take that into account.

You still have the Luna Sword. It's back in your storage, along with the rest of Kate's gear. Speaking of the storage, I noticed you left the Goddess Shield in there. There is no reason to let this thing collect dust like that. And it protects against both effective damage and critical hits.

Btw, since we seem to have some more indoor maps now, it's probably worth pointing out that male Dragon Knights while dismounted get to keep their Lances, just like Bronze Paladins. Unfortunately female Dragon Knights can't do that. I guess the game simply doesn't have sprites for female foot soldiers with lances.

Oh, and Bronze Paladins actually have the same stats dismounted as they have mounted. Well, besides Movement of course. Not that this is actually important at this point. Just a random piece of trivia.

Edited by BrightBow