Last 3DS FE

So, since the Switch can be taken far from home, and played on the like a handheld, do you think they will stop making handheld FE games, and on a side not, will Nintendo even make a new gen of their handhelds. (hope everyone has a good friday!)

Since FE for Switch has already been announced for 2018, I think they will stop for the 3DS after SoV (yeah, Warriors, but it's a spin-off, crossgen, and only on the new 3DS, it doesn't count).

Not only that. I also think 2017 will be the last year of 3DS' life, then Switch will completely replace it, with no new handheld console (at least, if Switch sells good). We will have confirmation of how much the 3DS is dead on the next Pokémon announcement for sure.

Good friday to you, too :3

Honestly, making another handheld OR console besides the Switch would basically amount to trying to compete with themselves for Nintendo.  So I think the Switch is going to be their only major hardware line this generation.

I'd consider FE Switch to be both a handheld game and a console game for this reason.  

The Gaiden remake will likely be the last FE on 3DS, at least.  But the last handheld Fire Emblem?  No, since I consider the Switch game to be as much a handheld experience as a console one.

I remember reading that Nintendo plans keeping the 3DS alive alongside the Switch, which indicates more important games for the 3DS possibly Fire Emblem, Pokemon etc. I doubt that they'd make another new version of the 3DS though. 

also, good Friday! Too bad mine is ending in a matter of hours. :(

Personally I hope they manage to squeeze out another FE3DS title since IMO, the 3DS is one of the best consoles for FE due to its portability and charge which the switch will never beat with its apparent 3 hour charge.

However, if Echoes is the last FE3DS title, at least out seems to going out with a bang.

Just now, Jeheza said:

I remember reading that Nintendo plans keeping the 3DS alive alongside the Switch, which indicates more important games for the 3DS possibly Fire Emblem, Pokemon etc. I doubt that they'd make another new version of the 3DS though.

They said the same for the GBA and the DS. We all know how it ended.

1 minute ago, Jeheza said:

also, good Friday! Too bad mine is ending in a matter of hours. :(

Living in Europe is so bad.

13 minutes ago, ElementKasai said:

They said the same for the GBA and the DS. We all know how it ended.

Living in Europe is so bad.

I don't know much about the GBA, but the DS still received games up till 2012, which is a year after the 3DS was released, 4 years after the launch of the Wii, and the year that the Wii U came out. And they weren't just dumb titles, either; Pokemon Black and White 2 still supported vanilla NDSes.

Technically Warriors will be the last 3DS title but ok...

Yeah, with a FE title already announced for Switch I don't think will get another one for the 3DS, but hey FE12 was released at the tail end of the DS life so anything could happen.

Well, the thing with the DS replacing the GB brand, was that the DS proved to be extremely successful. If this event is supposed to repeat with the Switch, it needs to do a lot better then the Wii U did.

Edited by BrightBow

28 minutes ago, Azz said:

Personally I hope they manage to squeeze out another FE3DS title since IMO, the 3DS is one of the best consoles for FE due to its portability and charge which the switch will never beat with its apparent 3 hour charge.

None-issue for me. I've got a battery bank. :3

On topic, though, I don't think we'll see anymore mainline sequels come to 3DS with the announcement of Switch, but just one more remake after SoV for 3DS would be nice. Personally, I'm holding out for Fire Emblem Echoes: Elibean Saga, rolling FE6 and 7 into one game with a timeskip and stuffs.

Here's what I think might happen...

There's no reason for a Fire Emblem game to be any larger than what can fit on a 3DS. Therefore, they can just publish the same game on both the Switch and the 3DS a bit like they did for Sm4sh. I doubt that Nintendo wouldn't double release it if there was demand for it.

Just now, InfinityAlex said:

Personally, I'm holding out for Fire Emblem Echoes: Elibean Saga, rolling FE6 and 7 into one game with a timeskip and stuffs.

That would be awesome, they could even implement waifus and stuff like Genealogy without bothering older fans.

13 minutes ago, UdoGudo said:

Yeah, with a FE title already announced for Switch I don't think will get another one for the 3DS, but hey FE12 was released at the tail end of the DS life so anything could happen.

FE12 is probably the worst example on how to launch a game in the history of the franchise. If it has to be like that I prefer nothing at all.

15 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

I don't know much about the GBA, but the DS still received games up till 2012, which is a year after the 3DS was released, 4 years after the launch of the Wii, and the year that the Wii U came out. And they weren't just dumb titles, either; Pokemon Black and White 2 still supported vanilla NDSes.

Pokémon has always been a cross-gen seller. RBY arrived late on the GB life, with GBC not yet announced. GS were compatible with normal GB, but had exclusive content on GBC (colors), same for BW2 which had RAdar Pokémon and, with that, the Therian forms of the Totem Trio. The DS had retrocompatibility with exclusive content for GBA games' owners in DPP. Only RSE was an exception, but only because the brand was intended to end with GSC and they had issues rebalancing the completely broken battle system.

I'll say the obvious: portable is better portable than half-portable. Continuing to support the 3DS (or the DS line in general) would mean that the concept of the Switch (play everywhere, any time you want) is meaningless, since you can already play everywhere with a 3DS.

Sorry for talking so much about my opinions while you probably don't give a shit about them. lol.

hell gaiden cameout two years after the Super Famicom

FE 4 came out a month before the N64

Sacred Stones came out after the DS

FE 12 cameout right before the 3DS

this really isn't all that suprising

3 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

hell gaiden cameout two years after the Super Famicom

FE 4 came out a month before the N64

Sacred Stones came out after the DS

FE 12 cameout right before the 3DS

this really isn't all that suprising

And Fire Emblem Thracia 776 came out 3 years after the N64, with an actual cartridge release not being a thing until January 2000. That one was pretty epic, especially considering how late Holy War came out.

Edited by BrightBow

3 minutes ago, ElementKasai said:

Pokémon has always been a cross-gen seller. RBY arrived late on the GB life, with GBC not yet announced. GS were compatible with normal GB, but had exclusive content on GBC (colors), same for BW2 which had RAdar Pokémon and, with that, the Therian forms of the Totem Trio. The DS had retrocompatibility with exclusive content for GBA games' owners in DPP. Only RSE was an exception, but only because the brand was intended to end with GSC and they had issues rebalancing the completely broken battle system.

I'll say the obvious: portable is better portable than half-portable. Continuing to support the 3DS (or the DS line in general) would mean that the concept of the Switch (play everywhere, any time you want) is meaningless, since you can already play everywhere with a 3DS.

Sorry for talking so much about my opinions while you probably don't give a shit about them. lol.

Yeah, I know they do cross-gen, but my point is that the old hardware is not forgotten quickly. There might be no point in buying a new old-gen console/portable, but there is still worth in owning one, which is a pretty cool thing.

I think they'll continue making Fire Emblem games for the 3DS and future handheld consoles.  The main console titles should take advantage of the vast amount of room available to work with.  Maybe we'll get the space themed Fire Emblem game mentioned during Fire Emblem Awakening's concept phase.

Nintendo should have another handheld system out eventually once the 3DS has run its course.  It will probably have a lot in common with the New 3DS.  At the very least it should be able to play 3DS games.

33 minutes ago, InfinityAlex said:

None-issue for me. I've got a battery bank. :3

On topic, though, I don't think we'll see anymore mainline sequels come to 3DS with the announcement of Switch, but just one more remake after SoV for 3DS would be nice. Personally, I'm holding out for Fire Emblem Echoes: Elibean Saga, rolling FE6 and 7 into one game with a timeskip and stuffs.

My thoughts are similar, I see the remakes on the 3DS while the main titles are on the Switch. It's way to cater to both in a way. On one hand, you have the people who already have a 3DS and want that market to be satisfied with still owning their 3DS(and who can't get a Switch at the moment) by having only remakes(those who really care for the remakes will give them attention). On the other hand, they make a new FE game for the Switch that's much better in terms of quality and vast potential then the remakes, so they have a reason to get the Switch as well.

Besides, anything thing that has a system like the Tellius games already has me sold already

As for as a whole, I doubt Nintendo will drop the 3DS so quickly. Considering such a large amount of people own a 3DS, it would be a bad idea to just chuck it too quick. Besides, the Switch needs some time to get a good momentum going in both sales and games(something that'll take a almost year to do), so Nintendo still needs the 3DS as a strong backbone for a good while. After that, they will very slowly lean off the 3DS.

(And for proof for how big the 3DS has gotten, copying quoting this from wikipedia,

"The Nintendo 3DS was first released in Japan on February 26, 2011, and worldwide beginning in March 2011.[11][12] Less than six months later on July 28, 2011, Nintendo announced a significant price reduction from US$249 to US$169 amid disappointing launch sales.[13] The company offered ten free Nintendo Entertainment System games and ten free Game Boy Advance games from the Nintendo eShop to consumers who bought the system at the original launch price.[14] This strategy was considered a major success, and the console has gone on to become one of Nintendo's most successfully sold handheld consoles in the first two years of its release. As of September 30, 2016, the Nintendo 3DS family of systems combined have sold 61.57 million units.[5]") Yeeeaaahhh, the 3DS isn't going anywhere for a while...

Edited by Busterman64

5 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Yeah, I know they do cross-gen, but my point is that the old hardware is not forgotten quickly. There might be no point in buying a new old-gen console/portable, but there is still worth in owning one, which is a pretty cool thing.

Yeah, there is still the entire 2017 content, Nintendo still makes ca$h on the 3DS, at least until they have a solid base on Switch.

Honestly going into FE16 on a home/mobile console not only obviously high definition graphics in maps/character models/attacks etc, but better frame rate and new engine I really don't see any reason to go back on the 3DS after SoV plus most FE games (some do) span of 2-3 games in a system not counting the spin-off Musou game so unless they have a "Switch 3DS" successor which now shouldn't obviously be a good idea. I hope this is a sign that it's the last to improve on another console aka the Switch which I'm positive it will definitely do.

Edited by OpheliaNohrPrincess

4 hours ago, Busterman64 said:

"The Nintendo 3DS was first released in Japan on February 26, 2011, and worldwide beginning in March 2011.[11][12] Less than six months later on July 28, 2011, Nintendo announced a significant price reduction from US$249 to US$169 amid disappointing launch sales.[13] The company offered ten free Nintendo Entertainment System games and ten free Game Boy Advance games from the Nintendo eShop to consumers who bought the system at the original launch price.[14] 

WHAT. I bought mine for $250. I didn't know about this.

I think it depends on how strong the sales of the Switch are. If it gets off to a bad start, I could see Nintendo encourage developers to continue focusing development on the 3DS, and we'll probably see at least one of the Jugdral games on the 3DS.

If the Switch sells gangbusters, I could see them shifting focus completely to the Switch.

IS is at a point with Fire Emblem where they're very likely at a very fluid development stage. They're putting out a 3DS game a month and a half after the Switch launch, and they're going to be completely devoted to developing the Switch game. I imagine plans for the next FE will be discussed seriously by the end of 2017(If FE Switch comes out early-mid 2018) or in early 2018 at the latest, and they'll probably have a good idea of how well the Switch is doing by holiday 2017. That's probably when they'll decide if they switch to Switch, or they keep supporting the 3DS.

Edited by Slumber

Nope, I do not think it is the last. 

I think for Fire Emblem's main series, the 3DS is done. But I think Echoes is a spin off dedicated to remakes that will be released to the 3ds to ride it out until it is done. 

Sure, the Switch might eventually replace the 3ds, but it isnt going to be instantaneous. It may take a good 2-3 years or more for the 3DS, especially the New 3DS to be phased out. Until then, they will continue releasing games on it. They may be spin off games, or lesser known games, but it will get releases to slowly phase it out. 

Just look at all previous consoles. The Playstation 2 was still getting support even during the Playstation 3s first couple of years. The ps3 also got support, and still does, while the ps4 is out. DS got releases while the 3DS was out. 

Just because the Switch has mobile support and is coming out this year means we should throw away the 3ds and forget about it. It will have support at least through 2018, and my guess is to 2019-2020. It has a few more years before nothing new will be released.