Last 3DS FE

Also, a part of me doesn't want to see the Jugdral games on 3DS. I just... really don't like the 3DS aesthetic, where everyone's all hunched over and bouncing up and down, everyone jumps 10 feet in the air to do a normal attack, all crit animations are the same, and the models are just super exaggerated.

FE4 and 5 are a little more grounded and darker than that animation style would convey properly.

Exactly I sure as hell don't wanna see the Jugdral games potential remake(hopefully not basterdized) on the 3DS especially bouncy animations and less fluidity they can easily do on the Switch when many games get released I'm definitely sure outside FE 16 Switch is gonna take over.

Edited by OpheliaNohrPrincess

4 minutes ago, Tolvir said:

Shadows already looks a lot less bouncy and looks a lot more fluid. Did we watch the same trailer?

Even if it's less bouncy, it still has that same exaggerated aesthetic and the character models are still more hunched over.

Maybe Echoes will sell me on the 3DS aesthetic, but I don't think it will convince me that it's appropriate for the Jugdral games.

51 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Even if it's less bouncy, it still has that same exaggerated aesthetic and the character models are still more hunched over.

Maybe Echoes will sell me on the 3DS aesthetic, but I don't think it will convince me that it's appropriate for the Jugdral games.

I don't know, it actually reminds me a lot more of Tellius this time, a bit more grounded. The colors aren't as bright and flashy, the armor designs are more simple, the weapons look pretty normal. So far it looks pretty good, but to each their own.

1 minute ago, Tolvir said:

I don't know, it actually reminds me a lot more of Tellius this time, a bit more grounded. The colors aren't as bright and flashy, the armor designs are more simple, the weapons look pretty normal. So far it looks pretty good, but to each their own.

I will say the general designs are a lot better for Echoes. That Knight in the trailer looks like it's wearing actual knight armor, and not a metal nightmare.

Edited by Slumber

1 hour ago, Slumber said:

Also, a part of me doesn't want to see the Jugdral games on 3DS. I just... really don't like the 3DS aesthetic, where everyone's all hunched over and bouncing up and down, everyone jumps 10 feet in the air to do a normal attack, all crit animations are the same, and the models are just super exaggerated.

FE4 and 5 are a little more grounded and darker than that animation style would convey properly.

While I feel Fates did better in this department then Awakening, I kinda agree with you. Plus, I kinda want what Radiant Dawn did and made the criticals and skills have different animations(and kinda a bit flashy and awesome). Also have the small details like Knights block with their shields instead of dodging.

(Video of what I mean in Spoiler tag)

Spoiler

Watch it if you want(I know they're kinda over the top, but the game can be dark and still have animations like this! :P:)! I love them so much!

You can look at the other 2 parts if you want, but...since the names are shown...spoilers are kinda present. Beware if you haven't played the games yet...

Edited by Busterman64

I don't the 3ds has seen its last mainstream FE Title yet. The fact that it is getting Gaiden does hint at that being a possibility, but the problem is that the Switch is in a worse selling position right now than the Wii U.

It lacks launch titles and other titles on the Horizon. On launch it has Zelda Breath of the Wild and ...... that's it. In the future it has Fire Emblem warriors, the new FE game being announced, Mario genesis, Dragon Quest, Bomberman, etc. 

It finally is getting some third party support but honestly is there any reason to own the switch? It's portable? So is the 3ds which has a strong games library.

.... and that's it, sure it has better hardware but the battery life isnt that great. I'll ask again, why would I buy a switch?

Imo what will probably happen is you will for a year get the remakes being 3ds exclusives and the new mainseries line being on the switch. But if the Switch performs poorly in sales they'll bring the mainstream games to the 3ds. After seeing the abysmal effort put forth for the Wii U after its initial push and the fact that Nintendo is clearly rushing the Switch out I just don't see them really winning ppl over with the Switch here. In fact it's like they said F it and chose to go full portable.

I don't think the timing suggests that there's going to be another 3DS FE game. Even if the Switch sells even worse than the Wii U, it is likely going to be the future of Nintendo (being a successor to both the Wii U and 3DS). We have SoV being released this year, and then we have a Switch title released next year. That suggests that the *earliest* another game could be released in 2019, a full 2 years after the release of the Switch. At that point, it seems much too late to go back to a last-gen handheld console.

I Don't think that nintendo themselves know the answer to this one. I t will depend on how well the switch does. Ask me again after holiday 2017 (when we should have some idea of how well the switch is doing. All signs point to shortages at launch, and we won't have an idea of true demand until shortages abate, and "near launch" games have a chance to make their impact felt). If the switch starts well, expect the 3ds (and FE on the 3ds) to die quickly, but if the switch has a slow start, expect the 3ds (and FE on the 3ds) to stick around for a year or two.

As for not wanting fe4 on 3ds because of an astetic mismatch, the fact that echo's astetic is appropriate for gaiden, and quite different form previously makes me think that intsys is capable of changing the astetic when necessary, and knowing when not to reuse assets when doing so would be detrimental. FE games on the same console thend to have similar tones , so IS has never HAD to change assets to get the tone to match (at least not since fe4 itself)

Edited by sirmola

On 3DS maybe...

On N3DS however, I highly doubt it. We already FE Warriors would be on it as well on Switch after all.

I think it's a little too early to know for sure. FE Switch is gonna be the big test for them. Whether it fails or succeeds ay determine the future of FE.

But I still think a FE works better on a 3DS. Because Dual Screen is far more important than graphisms for such a game.

8 hours ago, Tamanoir said:

On 3DS maybe...

On N3DS however, I highly doubt it. We already FE Warriors would be on it as well on Switch after all.

I think it's a little too early to know for sure. FE Switch is gonna be the big test for them. Whether it fails or succeeds ay determine the future of FE.

But I still think a FE works better on a 3DS. Because Dual Screen is far more important than graphisms for such a game.

Yeah. Dual screen helps a ton because we can see stats without having to go to a sepearate screen. It is vaguely annoying having to press R every time you want to see an enemy's stats in the older FEs.

18 hours ago, sirmola said:

Yeah. Dual screen helps a ton because we can see stats without having to go to a sepearate screen. It is vaguely annoying having to press R every time you want to see an enemy's stats in the older FEs.

That could easily be done on a side bar when a unit is highlight; Give a couple of little boxes which pop up showing their stats in one, their skills in another (as icons), and maybe the currently equipped weapon in a third box, with players being able to press R for more info. Could also use one of the Z triggers as a quick toggle for information.

On the subject of animation, I'm not sure I like Radiant Dawn's animations. The attack animations are...alright, I guess, but everyone looks stiff and static compared to the Awakening and Fates.

The timing is certainly interesting. The Switch/3DS comparison reminds me a lot of when the DS came out and how Nintendo swore it wasn't going to replace the GBA... but then the DS exploded in terms of popularity and it definitely took over as the main portable console.

I do think that we're seeing something similar, and that Nintendo will monitor the situation to see how well the Switch does as a portable system before making a formal decision on how long it will continue supporting the 3DS. If the Switch does really well, 2018 will probably be the last year of solid 3DS support. If it doesn't do well, or if it ends up learning towards a primarily home system in the mind of consumers, they may keep pushing the 3DS longer, or even making another new, dedicated portable system.

Fire Emblem in particular seems to be hedging its bets. We're getting SoV this year to the complete surprise of everyone, but they're also announcing a Switch title for 2018. Depending on how well sales goes for various metrics (Switch sales, SoV sales, FE Switch sales, comparisons to the overall Switch numbers), FE could definitely lean in any direction for 2019 and later. They'll have a foot in both markets (and mobile too), which gives them a lot of freedom to adjust to the desires of the market. Hopefully that will be a good thing for consumers and FE fans overall.

For me personally, I think it's too soon either way to judge whether or not the 3DS will live on past 2018, and if it does, if FE will be a part of it. For now, I'm just reveling in the games we're getting and glad that Nintendo is supporting this series, whichever form it takes in the future.