Could there be too much data?

TheEncoreBee

Hello everybody, I am new here!

I would imagine getting into hacking in the future, and I was wondering! Could one add too much data into a patch, so that the emulator would not be able to run it, because of not being optimized to do so?

Or do I not really have a clue of what I am talking about?

Yes.

However, it's not going to actually happen--

For some size references for GBA hacking, a mug takes up somewhere in the realm of 0x1600 to 0x1800 bytes; song data takes up maybe 0x1000 bytes per minute of song...

Maps are also pretty small in terms of byte size in rom; events are quite compact and animations despite taking up a fair amount of space take up nowhere near enough space to let you get trapped without it---

because the rom can hold up to 0x01FFFFFF bytes of stuff in it (32 megabytes); and the vanilla rom doesn't even use all 16 megs that it is aligned for.

If you just manage your revisions & make sure to not redundantly insert something; or make sure to overwrite the old thing when you insert a new copy of it

(easily done if you don't use feditor)

then you won't ever have a problem with running out of space

I want to clarify:

Sure you can add a lot of "data" to the rom, but keep in mind that raw space is not the only limitation you are going to encounter: without doing some *really* heavy engine modifications, the amount of characters/classes/chapters/maps/tilesets/animations/musics/background/mugs/... (or anything that is indexed with "only" 1 byte) is limited to 2^8=256 (or 254 even since I believe indexes 0x00 and 0xFF are often reserved). You are also limited by the size of graphics/maps, because the engine, and more importantly the actual GBA hardware, can not handle higher sizes (I believe the biggest map you can get is of tile size ~30x30). And other stuff like that.

Of course, for a standard hack, the base engine is plenty enough to do most things you'd want it to have, but this does mean you can't just make a hack that combines the three GBA games together in one without losing any content (for example). Or making a 10-chapter long hack that happens entirely on one big 100x100 map.

Please tell me if I said anything absurd there, I don't really know that much about actual hacking, I mostly just looked at how things work and not done much myself (yet... ?).

1 hour ago, StanH_ said:

a hack that combines the three GBA games together

why would anyone even want to do that ? i can understand why someone would want to combine fe6 and 7 but 8 too?

also

oh hai there

i'm pretty sure if you manage your space well (read: don't use FEditor) you could probably fit the majority of what this community has produced without much fuss; spells and animations are reasonably big but not that big. it's music that takes a fuckton of space.

(incidentally you could absolutely fit all three gba games into a single ROM if you tried hard enough)

Edited by CT075