Adding functions from Awakening

Shopow

I'm trying to start a ROM hack of Sacred Stones and I have 3 important questions:

1. Can you add a world map that is manually traversable and has shops in each location?

2. Can you add in a marriage system that takes place in the duration of the game instead of at the end?

3. Can you add a customizable main character?

1. tables contain if locations have shop data; iirc; so it's not hard at all, you just need to figure it out / read the doc (it's around!)
2. why would you ever want to? what does "marriage" do besides be a support level?
3. why would you ever want to? what value does having a customizable >>main character<< give you?

1 hour ago, Bedimal Eliwan said:

1. tables contain if locations have shop data; iirc; so it's not hard at all, you just need to figure it out / read the doc (it's around!)
2. why would you ever want to? what does "marriage" do besides be a support level?
3. why would you ever want to? what value does having a customizable >>main character<< give you?

1. So it can be done with ease without having to actually battle to buy stuff

2. People would want it for the aesthetic purpose, seeing as relationship development was an important plot point in the anime this hack will be based off of (SAO)

3. Because people like to have unique characters pertaining to themselves and their personality (aesthetic purposes)

1 hour ago, ukulelej said:

FE8 has a world map. Have you played Sacred Stones?

I am currently playing it, and I ask you this: Can you freely traverse the map of your own will at any point, to a destination of your choosing? If yes, then thank you for mentioning it. If no, then this point is moot.

Just now, Shopow said:

I am currently playing it, and I ask you this: Can you freely traverse the map of your own will at any point, to a destination of your choosing? If yes, then thank you for mentioning it. If no, then this point is moot.

You can traverse it just like you would in Awakening, along simple paths that you've already visited.

1 hour ago, Shopow said:

2. People would want it for the aesthetic purpose, seeing as relationship development was an important plot point in the anime this hack will be based off of (SAO)

Is this the function that Marriage performs? Being a little menu flare that tells you that two characters are married, and nothing else?

That could be inferred from knowing the two characters and their Support Rank!

So what features does this "marriage" system include for your game is the question I guess I'm asking; if this isn't all.

Edited by Bedimal Eliwan
idk wtf happened i need source editor

38 minutes ago, Bedimal Eliwan said:

Is this the function that Marriage performs? Being a little menu flare that tells you that two characters are married, and nothing else?

That could be inferred from knowing the two characters and their Support Rank!

So what features does this "marriage" system include for your game is the question I guess I'm asking; if this isn't all.

If you want to know my full plans for the marriage system, I'll share them.

Spoiler

Basically, I want to add a special cutscene for the end, where, instead of Kirito, your character fights Heathcliff, and whoever you are married to will replace Asuna as the one who saves you.

As for other non-player characters, I'm not sure, but my idea is that they get small stat bonuses when fighting alongside their marital partner, maybe a 5-10% increase. Another idea is somewhat like the future children in Awakening, but they are would br more akin to Yui, as in they would create a digital child that becomes sentient, just like Yui was a sentient program. (I know Yui wasn't made by Kirito and Asuna, but you get the general idea.

Edited by Shopow
more to add

...so like, supports as normal + a simple check for support level

(the child is the only part that requires anything remotely custom)

Edited by CT075

7 hours ago, CT075 said:

...so like, supports as normal + a simple check for support level

(the child is the only part that requires anything remotely custom)

Spoiler

Again, there will be something else extra, like stat bonuses for fighting alongside a marital partner, or something along those lines.

Edited by Shopow
misspelling

2 hours ago, Shopow said:

Hide contents

Again, there will be something else extra, like stat bonuses for fighting alongside a marital partner, or something along those lines.

that is literally the purpose of the vanilla support system

48 minutes ago, CT075 said:

that is literally the purpose of the vanilla support system

Like I said, I'm not sure about the actual benefit, but if I did do stat boosts, they would stack with the boosts already given by the vanilla support system.

I think you're starting with a mindset that will hinder you in the long run. I also was thinking about pure features and spectacle before focusing on getting something playable. I'm still kicking myself for wasting so much time on unnecessary shit. Just start with the basics, and let extra features come in after you have a proof of concept.  

5 hours ago, Kirb1337 said:

that would be way too op and like everyone said why would you try to add something that is already in the fucking game

1. Watch your language, please.

2. Relationships are going to play important parts in the plot in my game, so unless you know exactly what I have in mind, right down to the very last detail, then please refrain from criticizing what you do not understand well enough.

53 minutes ago, ukulelej said:

I think you're starting with a mindset that will hinder you in the long run. I also was thinking about pure features and spectacle before focusing on getting something playable. I'm still kicking myself for wasting so much time on unnecessary shit. Just start with the basics, and let extra features come in after you have a proof of concept.  

Thank you for your input, I will try to take your advice.

2 minutes ago, Shopow said:

Do you think I should just keep a Google Doc or something to write my ideas down?

Yes. I have several lists of what I have and haven't done. Are familiar with the common ROM hacking tools? (Nightmare, Feditor, Mappy, the new buildfile method)

1 minute ago, ukulelej said:

Yes. I have several lists of what I have and haven't done. Are familiar with the common ROM hacking tools? (Nightmare, Feditor, Mappy, the new buildfile method)

I know OF them, but this is my first time attempting to do a FE hack, so I haven't used them (yet).

37 minutes ago, Shopow said:

2. Relationships are going to play important parts in the plot in my game, so unless you know exactly what I have in mind, right down to the very last detail, then please refrain from criticizing what you do not understand well enough.

Instead of saying this

Please explain "exactly what [you] have in mind".

It would serve multiple functions; e.g. letting somebody help you implement it

Edited by Bedimal Eliwan

1 hour ago, Bedimal Eliwan said:

Instead of saying this

Please explain "exactly what [you] have in mind".

It would serve multiple functions; e.g. letting somebody help you implement it

Thanks for making me realize how stupid I sound. (This might sound like I'm snapping at you, but trust me, I'm not)

I intend to have different routes in the game (99% sure) depending on certain events having been triggered (such as getting an optional character, or if a certain character is dead) to make the experience more immersive. This will lead to multiple routes leading to either one, single ending, or multiple endings.(Permadeath is going to stay, if not obvious) Also, if I can, I'd like to have a function like the sidequests from Awakening, with extra characters, which can only be recruited by talking to them with specific characters you currently have.

But besides that, the cutscene(s) made for the ending(s?) will include you and your partner together, so the support system will play a major role in the outcome of the game.