NoMommaGarchomp

Most enjoyable way to play Gaiden?   

17 members have voted

1. 1. ...

• Vanilla Gaiden: Normal
    • Vanilla Gaiden: Easy
    • Very Easy patch.

Vanilla Gaiden: Normal

Experience is gained at quite a slow rate, and characters have very low growths. Some characters don't come with any items. Grinding is encouraged. 

Vanilla Gaiden: Easy

Same as Normal, with less grinding and more experience. 

Very Easy Patch 

Higher experience gains, higher overall growth rates, every character joins with an item including rare stuff like the Moon Lance. 

Just looking for what mode to do my 1st PT... And I am leaning towards VE because it severely reduces grinding. 

I am currently playing Vanilla Normal in my first playthrough. You don't need grinding except for some units, and there are areas where it is really easy to do. You can also use an Angel Ring for the growth rates. Or to solo the late game with Est.

I usually just play on Easy, so if I do need to grind it barely takes any time.
Gaiden isn't really that hard, so the very easy patch seems like overkill.
I'd just play on easy.

Fast toggle, mute the sound and play another song in the tabs if you find the music repetitive.

Normal isn't too difficult but chapter 4 has a massive difficulty spike if you're lacking in promoted units.

Easy mode isn't necessary but it makes the game more enjoyable. Basically you don't need to grind no matter what mode you play, but if you prefer to have a larger team and not only use the higher-tier units (think pegasus knights, Thundersword!Cliff, Saber), you're going to want to do easy mode. I don't think Very Easy mode is really necessary unless you're a beginner to the series.

I'd recommend easy as well, but only if you don't want to grind a lot. Normal doesn't require too much grinding, so either mode is fine. Very easy seems like it would take too much out of the game; items are extremely powerful in Gaiden.

Also, the speed isn't too bad if you change text speed to fastest and turn off animations. Otherwise its insufferable. I played it without speeding up and on NES and it didn't bother me at all. Personal preference!