Confused and Overwhelmed

crusten

Hey guys, I'm new to the Fire Emblem Series and have completed my first playthrough of Fates recently. I have also recently started looking further into the game on forums and wikis, and I'm pretty lost, to be honest. There's so many things to do with skills, reclassing, child units, all of the seals, there just seems to be so much planning to be made before one can start a playthrough. Am I missing anything? Even after reading around on this site, I still feel lost as heck. I don't know what to expect when I pair units together, as I sort of randomly married off units in my playthrough. Any tips, pointers, or advice will be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Edited by crusten

It really depends on what you want a child unit to do and what skills you want them to have.  Then you train the parents for the skills you want the child unit to have and pick parents based on what they can pass down.  The best thing do is just try different pairings until you find the ones that work for your play style and if you want a skill you can always buy the skill you want from my castle battles if the unit doesn't have it.   

Just now, EricaofRenais said:

It really depends on what you want a child unit to do and what skills you want them to have.  Then you train the parents for the skills you want the child unit to have and pick parents based on what they can pass down.  The best thing do is just try different pairings until you find the ones that work for your play style and if you want a skill you can always buy the skill you want from my castle battles if the unit doesn't have it.   

Thank you! I haven't looked into the multiplayer aspects of the game yet, but I have heard about buying them like that. How can I train a parent for specific skills?

Do you have the American or European version?  There's a couple threads either for requesting skills or lists of My Castle addresses for places you can go that offer specific skills.

1 minute ago, Rezzy said:

Do you have the American or European version?  There's a couple threads either for requesting skills or lists of My Castle addresses for places you can go that offer specific skills.

I have the American one, thanks for the heads-up! I'll search for some of those.

Well reclassing at certain levels is what I do, I level units to level ten so that they get those skills then reclass to a class that has the skills that I want a unit to learn.

Just now, EricaofRenais said:

Well reclassing at certain levels is what I do, I level units to level ten so that they get those skills then reclass to a class that has the skills that I want a unit to learn.

Shouldn't I level them to 20 though so that they can gain as much stats as possible?

30 minutes ago, crusten said:

Shouldn't I level them to 20 though so that they can gain as much stats as possible?

That isn't necessary this time around - reclassing doesn't change your level. As a result, when you level up in your new class, you learn whatever skills you missed.

3 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

That isn't necessary this time around - reclassing doesn't change your level. As a result, when you level up in your new class, you learn whatever skills you missed.

Ah, thank you for the clarification!

1 hour ago, crusten said:

52 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

To clarify, re-classing uses the Heart seal so you don't lose any levels. Master seals promote your unit to an advanced class and will reset your level to 1.

1 minute ago, Shion said:

To clarify, re-classing uses the Heart seal so you don't lose any levels. Master seals promote your unit to an advanced class and will reset your level to 1.

Thank you, what is the difference between re-classing and promoting to an advanced class?

Just now, crusten said:

Thank you, what is the difference between re-classing and promoting to an advanced class?

Each unit has its primary class that it starts out with and a secondary class that you can heart seal to switch to. For example, Kaze starts out as a Ninja when you recruit him and using a heart seal on him will let you re-class him into his secondary class, which is Samurai.

Each primary class can be promoted to an advanced class using the master seal. For example, when Kaze hits level 20, using a master seal on him will allow you to promote him to Master Ninja or Mechanist.

You can use a heart seal on a promoted unit as well!

12 minutes ago, Shion said:

Each unit has its primary class that it starts out with and a secondary class that you can heart seal to switch to. For example, Kaze starts out as a Ninja when you recruit him and using a heart seal on him will let you re-class him into his secondary class, which is Samurai.

Each primary class can be promoted to an advanced class using the master seal. For example, when Kaze hits level 20, using a master seal on him will allow you to promote him to Master Ninja or Mechanist.

You can use a heart seal on a promoted unit as well!

Ah, so should I typically level a unit to 20 when I get them, promote to the advanced class, and once they've hit 20 with that advanced class, then I should reclass them to different classes to obtain the skills that I want them to have? Also, I don't see how people level all of the units and optimize them by reclassing them multiple times if there are only 27 chapters and then the endgame. 

Edited by crusten

27 minutes ago, crusten said:

Ah, so should I typically level a unit to 20 when I get them, promote to the advanced class, and once they've hit 20 with that advanced class, then I should reclass them to different classes to obtain the skills that I want them to have? Also, I don't see how people level all of the units and optimize them by reclassing them multiple times if there are only 27 chapters and then the endgame. 

Typically yes, level a unit to 20 before promotion. Once a unit hits 20 in an advanced class, you'll have to use something called an Eternal Seal that will increase the unit's level cap by 5. People re-class units at the advanced class.

For example, I have Master Ninja Kaze at level 5 for Lethality. I can then use a heart seal to re-class Kaze into a Swordmaster and he'll still be at level 5. But when he hits level 6, he'll get the first skill from Samurai, Duelist's Blow, and I think Astra, which is the level 5 Swordmaster skill. When he hits level 7, he'll gain Vantage, the Samurai level 10 skill.

But skill collecting/farming is easier now with MyCastle. You can initiate a battle in another player's castle without a handicap. And if you manage to seize the throne, you can learn skills that the player had on their units. E.g. They have aptitude on Felicia and seizing their throne allows you to buy Aptitude for your own Felicia unit.

Edited by Shion
Grammar :(

19 minutes ago, Shion said:

Typically yes, level a unit to 20 before promotion. Once a unit hits 20 in an advanced class, you'll have to use something called an Eternal Seal that will increase the unit's level cap by 5. People re-class units at the advanced class.

For example, I have Master Ninja Kaze at level 5 for Lethality. I can then use a heart seal to re-class Kaze into a Swordmaster and he'll still be at level 5. But when he hits level 6, he'll get the first skill from Samurai, Duelist's Blow, and I think Astra, which is the level 5 Swordmaster skill. When he hits level 7, he'll gain Vantage, the Samurai level 10 skill.

But skill collecting/farming is easier now with MyCastle. You can initiate a battle in another player's castle without a handicap. And if you manage to seize the throne, you can learn skills that the player had on their units. E.g. They have aptitude on Felicia and seizing their throne allows you to buy Aptitude for your own Felicia unit.

That clarifies a lot, I greatly appreciate your help!

2 minutes ago, crusten said:

That clarifies a lot, I greatly appreciate your help!

No worries! I remember playing FE Awakening and having no idea that there were children units I could've gotten.

Take the game slowly!  It's not going anywhere, so there's plenty of time to play with things.  The beauty of Fire Emblem is that it's a game that's very much open to experimentation on lower difficulties, and thanks to Phoenix mode, ANYTHING goes!  Wanted to see how something works?  Try it, and if you like it, save the game!

Since you mentioned not looking into the multiplayer aspects too thoroughly, here are a couple other points of interest (that I'll, hopefully, explain well):

Your "My Castle" area gets two resources (four in a Revelations file) - one for food, and one for gems (one food and gem come from Nohr, and the other two from Hoshido). Each food and gem corresponds to a different stat. Click on them in the little menu, and it should state which helps what.

Food is used in the Mess Hall, buys a few accessories, and/or to feeds Lilith. Certain characters make really good meals, which can be used for one-time bonuses (so, for example, let's say you're going into a chapter that you've attempted a few times and have been struggling with...you can get a meal at the Mess Hall, which will have it benefit your units, and the stat increase will apply for that chapter; once you clear that chapter, the bonus will disappear). But, in order to make the meals, you need to gather many resources. You can get random ones from talking to members of your army...but, a more surefire way is to visit other people's castles. This also applies to gems, but gems are used either to either buy accessories (which just help with My Castle functions and change your units' looks...yes, even in gameplay) or to fortify/improve your weapons. I'm not too sure how much you've utilized these features already, so forgive me if this explanation's been unneeded...

Also, when you visit someone else's Castle, you can buy items at various shops, gather resources (as previously mentioned), and trade accessories with their avatar. Doing so multiple times will eventually create a "Bond Unit". Bond Units are randomly generated, based on both avatars' looks (I found the only exception is, generally, the body type will be the opposite of the avatar you've made the Bond Unit with), secondary classes, and currently equipped skills. Their personal skills are also randomized, so you can have some really unique units for your army! Although I'm not too sure if you'd want to utilize them in your playthroughs...

To properly skill hunt, you challenge their avatar and fight in THEIR Castle with no restrictions...win the battle and you can either buy a skill or recruit a single character to fight in your army; you can buy multiple skills off these Einherjar, but their price will be doubled vs. buying it from someone's Castle individually. The more times you do this, the better rewards you get. You get some based on how many people you've visited/battled, as well as how many people have visited/battled you. Definitely try to get some My Castle codes to help out with that, if you're interested in reaching the 10,000 mark (which is the highest, but some of the most popular My Castles have waaaaaay more than that).

If your gold's low and/or you want multiple units/skills from a person's Castle, you'll need to visit another 20 Castles in order for the game to allow you to visit that Castle again (that, or wait 24 hours real time).

Ummm...I think I've covered everything? I hope this all made sense to you!

5 hours ago, crusten said:

Hey guys, I'm new to the Fire Emblem Series and have completed my first playthrough of Fates recently. I have also recently started looking further into the game on forums and wikis, and I'm pretty lost, to be honest. There's so many things to do with skills, reclassing, child units, all of the seals, there just seems to be so much planning to be made before one can start a playthrough. Am I missing anything? Even after reading around on this site, I still feel lost as heck. I don't know what to expect when I pair units together, as I sort of randomly married off units in my playthrough. Any tips, pointers, or advice will be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

The simple answer to this is to close out of the forum, use the wiki only for quick fixes to specific questions and just play the games a bit more. Most of the knowledge here is either pointless for a given value of pointless or just plain wrong and it sounds like your issue is not knowing how to filter that.

18 hours ago, joshcja said:

The simple answer to this is to close out of the forum, use the wiki only for quick fixes to specific questions and just play the games a bit more. Most of the knowledge here is either pointless for a given value of pointless or just plain wrong and it sounds like your issue is not knowing how to filter that.

Thank you, I agree that I should play the game more before worrying like I am.

• 7 months later...

i'm having the same issues as you, but I haven't even completed the game, just finished chapter 12. This is my first FE game (Birthright) and I enjoy it a lot but it's just this inner voice that keeps telling me that I don't know anything about this game and I don't utilize at all it's potential and variety of options.  Lately I find it hard to come back because even though I complete chapters and challenges and have fun with some tactics I still feel ridiculously stupid because I have no idea about optimal pairings, skills, reclasses, seals, best classes for each character. I feel like a small kid using chess pieces to form figures on the floor instead of actually playing the proper game... I feel like I shouldn't even bother with Conquest where apparently every class/skill/pairing has to be carefully preplanned, calculated and executed in order to beat the game..

Edited by turbovirgin