Best Tools for a Novice Hacker?

Shopow

Could anyone tell me what the easiest tools to use are for beginners? For stuff like Map and Portrait editing, and text editing, and basically changing everything (Even weapons and class names). I am doing a Sword Art Online hack of FE, and I need to change a LOT of stuff (again, basically EVERYTHING), so what would you guys recommend? (I tried to download Nightmare, but I just got a load of .NMM files.)

Nightmare in my opinion is very easy to use. It also can help you to understand how hacking works, but you will quickly realize that for a full scale hack like you have planned, Nightmare alone is not enough.

You can technically use just Event Assembler for everything, and you will definitely need Event Assembler later anyway. But my advice since you mentioned beginner-friendly would be to forget about your hack for now and just start messing around in Nightmare a bit. Change a few units, edit some stats, edit some classes and items. Learn how offsets and pointers and all that stuff works first. There are also lots of guides around. Maybe some people would disagree with this advice, there are more seasoned ROM hackers than me out there.

FEditor has fairly straightforward text editing and portrait editing, but most people these days recommend you stay away from it since it is a bit unstable and can mess up your ROM randomly and cause weird errors. But I still use it from time to time, I just keep lots of backups.

By the way those .NMM files are the modules that Nightmare uses. Idk if what you downloaded has Nightmare or not but check if there is a folder called 'dist' and the program itself might be in there.

Nightmare is where you start

I'd say eventing comes second (just the basics) / Also learn offsets, how to read/write data to specific locations

Then I'd start fooling around with map creating

Text editing is extremely simple in comparison to some other tasks. 

But those are the basics I'd say!

6 hours ago, Seracz said:

Nightmare in my opinion is very easy to use. It also can help you to understand how hacking works, but you will quickly realize that for a full scale hack like you have planned, Nightmare alone is not enough.

You can technically use just Event Assembler for everything, and you will definitely need Event Assembler later anyway. But my advice since you mentioned beginner-friendly would be to forget about your hack for now and just start messing around in Nightmare a bit. Change a few units, edit some stats, edit some classes and items. Learn how offsets and pointers and all that stuff works first. There are also lots of guides around. Maybe some people would disagree with this advice, there are more seasoned ROM hackers than me out there.

FEditor has fairly straightforward text editing and portrait editing, but most people these days recommend you stay away from it since it is a bit unstable and can mess up your ROM randomly and cause weird errors. But I still use it from time to time, I just keep lots of backups.

By the way those .NMM files are the modules that Nightmare uses. Idk if what you downloaded has Nightmare or not but check if there is a folder called 'dist' and the program itself might be in there.

2 hours ago, Avril Lavigne said:

Nightmare is where you start

I'd say eventing comes second (just the basics) / Also learn offsets, how to read/write data to specific locations

Then I'd start fooling around with map creating

Text editing is extremely simple in comparison to some other tasks. 

But those are the basics I'd say!

Thanks you guys! This is really helpful, and I'll try this stuff when I get the chance.