Least Favorite Character

PKspeed

I'm withholding my opinion for the stories, as I haven't played enough FE games.

Gameplay-wise, I do have a number of mentions, but Ryoma would be a big one for being redundant for what is essentially another Awakening game. And yet people gush about how Ryoma is a great swordmaster, when Rutger/Fir has a much better claim - because the Swordmasters in Binding Blade actually makes a difference, and this is in a game that is just as difficult as Conquest, and maybe arguably harder, depending on where you look.

Edited by henrymidfields

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A bit late on here, but let me jump on the Corrin train. Plenty of people have already stated the most obvious reasons.

Another contender though has to be Soleil. She is a despicable sexual harasser, who gets a free pass from most fans because "omg gay!!" despite not actually being capable of getting together with one. She treats women like objects, so I have trouble even calling her bi. The localization tried to do some fixing, but she just became even more of a mess with contradictory behaviours and traits. She even flirts with her own mom in the same way she does with girls, that's how "serious" we are supposed to take her advances. Really, seeing people proclaim her as some sort of gay icon just makes me shake my head.  

I'd have to say either Sothe (RD) or Pelleas. Sothe because of reasons mentioned already (annoying obsession with Micaiah and Ike, forced relationship with Micaiah, etc.), and also gets way too much screen time compared to the rest of the Dawn Brigade despite being completely useless (I thought Nolan was the leader of the Dawn Brigade? Congrats, you got an entire 3 lines of story dialogue).

Then Pelleas because argh he was so stupid in the story. Obviously there's the whole Blood pact thing, I won't go too far there. I will say that how he didn't realise the signing of the blood pact was dodgy is beyond me. Didn't he have to sign it in his own blood or something? But it was frustrating to read his dialogue. He was completely incompetent, and spent most of his time whining, praising Micaiah and feeling sorry for himself. From what I've seen the only reason people like him is for shipping him with Micaiah

Below are my least favourite characters of the games I've played.

1) Owain- despise this lunatic

2) Delthea- a spoiled brat who deserves to be benched

3) Conrad- steals the focus away from Alm & Celica

4) Kris- steals the spotlight from Marth

5) Corrin- nothing about his character makes sense, makes stupid decisions, and it doesn't make sense that he's in charge when Ryoma of Xander are around.

6) Severra- complains about everything for no reason, one redeeming quality is that she has red hair and is a mercenary

7) Farina- just shut up about how much you're being paid and that you're the "best" mercenary.

8) Oborro- she's racist

9) Hana- she's trying to be Mia without the aspects that made Mia enjoyable

10) Chrom- stop trying to make everyone think you're like Ike when you're an ok unit at best.

On 7/4/2017 at 9:52 PM, Rapier said:

Odin. His hammy attitude already got on my nerves. Repeating the same overly hammy lines over and over stopped being fun since Awakening. Henry has the same problem, but I dislike him less.

Other than that, filler, boring characters like Brom and his daughter, simply because they're uninteresting and occupying space unnecessarily.

If Brom is so boring, why exactly is Nephenee well liked? 

On 12/6/2017 at 1:06 PM, SavageVolug said:

8) Oborro- she's racist

Okay, but this is part of what I like about her.  It's her character flaw.

Oboro is a racist, but she's also a kind person who does her best to make those around her comfortable and happy, and she will even try to work through her own racism so that she can work with Nohrian allies (most notably in supports with Silas and Benny), and even comes to realize how continuing a cycle of vengeance is a terrible thing (through her supports with Beruka).

The thing I like most about her is that she proves that bigotry can sometimes hide a kind heart; that some empathetic people can succumb to such dark or misguided thoughts if presented with the wrong circumstances.  And that such people can learn to get over such feelings if presented with the right circumstances.  To me, it's a more powerful narrative than... well, most stuff I've seen in rated T games.  The only other one I can think of is Valkyria Chronicles, with a similar character named Rosie.

Anyway...

The character I have the biggest issue with is Corrin.  Sometimes his kindness and naivety work well, but there's also a shit ton of times where his bad actions were rewarded by the general narrative.  This is particularly a big issue in Conquest, though it happens in Revelation as well in one of the worst character un-growth moments I've ever witnessed.

And it's a shame, because he shares one of the best supports with Oboro.  Corrin would've worked best as a support character who helps others better themselves, rather than a protagonist who is forced to lead armies to war and make difficult moral decisions.

I also don't really care for Azura.  I just... don't really see the appeal in her.  In fact, I would like it if someone who actually really likes her could tell me what's great about her, because I genuinely don't know.  Maybe I just haven't explored much into her character to see what she has to offer.

I could probably think of more... but I'd rather keep a short list.

On 2-12-2017 at 3:38 PM, Nanima said:

Another contender though has to be Soleil. She is a despicable sexual harasser, who gets a free pass from most fans because "omg gay!!" despite not actually being capable of getting together with one. She treats women like objects, so I have trouble even calling her bi. The localization tried to do some fixing, but she just became even more of a mess with contradictory behaviours and traits. She even flirts with her own mom in the same way she does with girls, that's how "serious" we are supposed to take her advances. Really, seeing people proclaim her as some sort of gay icon just makes me shake my head.  

Its amusing that the game tries to depict Soleil as a more competent womanizer then Inigo despite her flirting in the supports being much more clumsy and even mean spirited in the case of Ophelia since she makes it very clear Soleil doesn't have her consent. 

27 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

I also don't really care for Azura.  I just... don't really see the appeal in her.  In fact, I would like it if someone who actually really likes her could tell me what's great about her, because I genuinely don't know.  Maybe I just haven't explored much into her character to see what she has to offer.

For me a big part of why I like Azura is her supports and how she adjust her behavior and speech depending on how comfortable she is with her conversation partner. She's more open and playful with Sakura while being more shy and withdrawn with people outside her family. It seems the distinction that a real person who's shy and introvert would make. 
In a game where character gimmicks make it very easy to predict any response a character can make in any situation its refreshing to see a character behaving differently depending on the situation.

• 2 weeks later...

peri is trash but everyone knows that. the awakening clones suck ass for being awakening clones. i hate soren for being an edgelord and because he's shoved in your face the whole game and they try too hard to make you like him or make him seem deep and interesting. lute is annoying as hell and she's outclassed by saleh. lethe is an annoying furry bitch. i think lethe is probably the worst character in the franchise actually. only character that would contest this is corrin.

Edited by edgelordweeaboo

On 12/6/2017 at 2:06 PM, SavageVolug said:

Below are my least favourite characters of the games I've played.

1) Owain- despise this lunatic

2) Delthea- a spoiled brat who deserves to be benched

3) Conrad- steals the focus away from Alm & Celica

4) Kris- steals the spotlight from Marth

5) Corrin- nothing about his character makes sense, makes stupid decisions, and it doesn't make sense that he's in charge when Ryoma of Xander are around.

6) Severra- complains about everything for no reason, one redeeming quality is that she has red hair and is a mercenary

7) Farina- just shut up about how much you're being paid and that you're the "best" mercenary.

8) Oborro- she's racist

9) Hana- she's trying to be Mia without the aspects that made Mia enjoyable

10) Chrom- stop trying to make everyone think you're like Ike when you're an ok unit at best.

for me owain is like when you have a kid in your class who's pretty annoying and just way out there but he has autism so you just don't really care because you understand that he has autism so i don't hate owain. delthea is fucking annoying but she's a broken unit. conrad is kinda pointless. kris is kinda pointless but is mostly off to the side. corrin is a fucking awful character but i don't want to elaborate on that again. severa is annoying. farina is a savage. oboro being racist doesn't really matter to me. hana sucks. chrom is fine. he's likable enough and he's a pretty solid unit with pretty good stats all around.

Corrin. I can't stand him. He's so unlikable and while I dislike a lot of character from Fates to an extent he takes it to a whole other level especially after a certain moment in Revelations. 

• 2 weeks later...

On 12/9/2017 at 10:37 AM, Icelerate said:

If Brom is so boring, why exactly is Nephenee well liked? 

This is something I've never understood. 

Brom at least has "I'm a family man." on top of his "Aw, gee, shucks, I'd be at home pickin' corn if it weren't for this gal dern war" thing. Nephenee doesn't. Her character starts and stops with "I'm a simple country girl". I'm being a bit reductionist(For both Neph and Brom), but it stands. 

I get she's the first unmounted, non-armored, non-lord lance unit in the franchise and that she's a good unit in her first appearance, but by Radiant Dawn, she doesn't have those two things. She's a pretty mediocre unit in RD, and she has two other Halbrediers who get nearly as much screen time. 

I think it has died down, but the relatively large fanbase she had back in the day always baffled me. It seems like Oboro's taken a lot of her attention. And hell, for as much shit as I'll give Fates and Awakening characters, I think Oboro's much more deserving of that attention than Nephenee ever was. Nephenee's one of those Tellius characters who is more defined by her gimmick, while Oboro has a few more layers, despite being from one of the games that's notorious for writing characters around gimmicks. 

Maybe it's a southern thing. I grew up in a city in the north. "Simple country gals" don't rev my engine. 

Edited by Slumber

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/2/2018 at 11:07 PM, Slumber said:

Brom at least has "I'm a family man." on top of his "Aw, gee, shucks, I'd be at home pickin' corn if it weren't for this gal dern war" thing. Nephenee doesn't. Her character starts and stops with "I'm a simple country girl". I'm being a bit reductionist(For both Neph and Brom), but it stands. 

I get she's the first unmounted, non-armored, non-lord lance unit in the franchise and that she's a good unit in her first appearance, but by Radiant Dawn, she doesn't have those two things. She's a pretty mediocre unit in RD, and she has two other Halbrediers who get nearly as much screen time. 

I haven't played PoR, but I do notice RD's writing has that as a big weakness. There are many characters in it, but most non-plot important suffer from a little introduction showing a basic personality, only for later just being seen on the map if you like them. That's one thing a remake could urgently fix, as many of these are interesting characters, just pushed away by the game itself

On 1/2/2018 at 11:07 PM, Slumber said:

I think it has died down, but the relatively large fanbase she had back in the day always baffled me. It seems like Oboro's taken a lot of her attention. And hell, for as much shit as I'll give Fates and Awakening characters, I think Oboro's much more deserving of that attention than Nephenee ever was. Nephenee's one of those Tellius characters who is more defined by her gimmick, while Oboro has a few more layers, despite being from one of the games that's notorious for writing characters around gimmicks. 

Maybe it's a southern thing. I grew up in a city in the north. "Simple country gals" don't rev my engine. 

You answered your own question. Although there's also her being meek but still strong, which is a huge turn-on for some people.

3 minutes ago, Midnox said:

I haven't played PoR, but I do notice RD's writing has that as a big weakness. There are many characters in it, but most non-plot important suffer from a little introduction showing a basic personality, only for later just being seen on the map if you like them. That's one thing a remake could urgently fix, as many of these are interesting characters, just pushed away by the game itself

PoR puts way more focus on character building and development.

RD assumes that, at least for the units who reappear from PoR, that you already know their characters and RD gives you a lot of scenes in base convos of established characters interacting, but not really developing their characters as much.

I actually like this approach* since it gives a lot of room for you to see these characters who were already developed in the previous game interact. I'd still like more supports, but base conversations whet my appetite for the most part.

*however, this is EXCLUSIVE to returning characters. Brand new characters get the same treatment, which ends up doing absolutely nothing for them. The Dawn Brigade is borderline NES-era tier with its characters.

Forsyth stands out as a character I really dislike.

His tendendy to see himself as inferior and unworthy in comparison to the noble-birth knights he worships just annoys me tremendously.  Thankfully, Python is there to offer the right contrast.

1. Maribelle - Makes an awful first impression, but after that, is simply uninteresting.

2. Severa - She's an absolutely whiny brat who is a poor excuse to be a "tsundere". If I were to date someone like her, I'd date a two year old!

3. Cherche - Uninteresting, doesn't really stand out to me as a character, and I heard she was a complete dickhead and talked shit about someone in her Frederick supports. Very mature of you, Cherche.

4. Azura - Bland, boring, and constantly sings the exact same song over and over and over again. Also pity broke me three times in the PA banner but that's not a valid reason imo.

5. Ninian - Nils is better.

6. Fernand - He's a dickhead. Also the only male I dislike somehow.

Edited by Miracle-Flora

1 hour ago, Miracle-Flora said:

Severa - She's an absolutely whiny brat who is a poor excuse to be a "tsundere". If I were to date someone like her, I'd date a two year old!

You too, huh?  Severa and Cynthia were both my least favorite characters in Awakening.  Actually, I forgot Cynthia existed until I remembered my dislike of Severa in Awakening.

I recall not being to understand why the heck she was such an annoying brat, as I think I was about 14 when I first played Awakening and was completely unfamiliar with the tsundere concept and other anime tropes.

At least she got better in Fates.

3 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

I think I was about 14 when I first played Awakening and was completely unfamiliar with the tsundere concept and other anime tropes.

I first played Awakening at age 15 but I knew what tsunderes were starting age 13.

When it comes to playable characters:

Peri: Definitely my least favorite. Basically female Hans: A murderer who enjoys killing people for fun or for no particularly good reasons. The fact she degrades almost every character she interacts with in her supports is one thing, but the fact almost no one in Conquest ever tries to keep her in check is another problem. She almost murders Felicia just because the latter spilled some tea in their A-Support, threatens to murder Kaden it he doesn't reciprocate her feelings in their S-Support, makes Keaton and Leo look like fools by the end of their supports with her, I can go on and on. Peri is the kind of person who should be locked up in jail, not being a retainer to a crown prince. Peri just really makes my blood boil whenever I think about her.

Camilla: What could've been a great character is pretty much kicked aside for fanservice instead. Her awful design is one problem, but what gets even worse is how her character ends up being. She mostly obsesses over Corrin, and when she does so, she gets so frustratingly annoying with it. Heck, she even goes full-blown yandere in Birthright because of Corrin's betrayal toward Nohr. What makes matters worse is that she's supposed to be Corrin's older sister, and the fact she looks at Corrin as something even more than a sibling while obsessing over him/her is just disappointing. She doesn't seem like the kind of person I want to be hang out with: I mean, in addition to her Corrin-obsession, she infantilizes Takumi in their B-support, threatens to cut of Selena's legs in their A-support, hits on Hinoka following the massacre in the Hoshido capital... ugh *shudders.*

Faye: I consider her to be the best example of a romance-type character done horribly wrong. Her only character trait being her crush on Alm is one thing, but it's how she handles it that really makes me dislike her. Her feelings for Alm reaches obsessive levels to the point it's creepy and disturbing.

Immediately following Alm's argument with Celica at the end of Act 2, she basically tells Alm, "I heard you got into a fight with Celica. You know what? Just forget about her and fall for me instead!" No one would say something like that to a friend after that person goes through a breakup, and when Faye did that, boy did that frustrate me. Not only that, but if I was Alm in that situation, I would feel legitimately disturbed to the point I'd slowly back towards the door, horrified that someone would say something like that right after a serious breakup argument. Let's also not forget that she basically ignores her worried parents' plea to write more about herself by saying, "I just can't stop writing about Alm!" What could've been a moment of character development for her is thrown into the trash in that single base conversation. She also keeps telling Silque to bug off throughout most of her supports just because she isn't Alm. We learn in her ending that she often vanishes from her newly-wed family, which gives me the impression she never got over her obsession with Alm. Just comes to show she doesn't really develop.

What also bugs me is there's never even a proper explanation as to where her feelings for Alm come from. If you're going to make the romance a focal point about the character, there at least needs to be an explanation regarding where it came from. Her first base conversation seems to imply Alm saving her from Slayde that one time was when her feelings for Alm developed, but the way she talks about Alm in the prologue gives me the impression she's had feelings for him even before then (heck, in the Japanese version, she even said, "Even before back then (when Alm, Celica, and Mycen saved her from Slayde's forces), you were always my prince.")

As for villains:

Garon, Iago, Hans: I'm grouping the three together because they're all just Saturday morning cartoon villains with very little going for them. Iago and Hans have no depth to them, being evil just for the sake of being evil. They don't feel genuinely intimidating or entertaining either. Garon had potential to be good because of his backstory, but it's rarely explored, and instead we get a typical war-mongerer/world domination-desiring kind of villain, and not even a good one at that.

Grima: Felt like a typical doomsday villain with little going for him. I will admit that it was nice to have his backstory expanded on in Echoes through that post-game dungeon, but he still doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.

Validar/Riev/Jedah: Iago can be grouped with them as well, but I'm grouping them together here as they all felt like generic sorcerer villains who want nothing more than to spread chaos. Those three didn't impress me all that much, and more often than not, they made me roll my eyes.

Fernand: A classist asshole who leaves the Deliverance and commits treason against Zofia solely because Clive made a commoner the leader of the resistance group. Fernand could've been a sympathetic character if his betrayal happened later into the game and he explained why making Alm the leader of the Deliverance was a dangerous move, but alas, none of that happens. His betrayal happened too early, and his only excuse for it is purely because "Alm is a filthy peasant!" He also constantly puts Alm down at every opportunity. Sure, the reason for his hatred for commoners has to do with the fact that Fernand's family was killed by them, but he takes his hatred for them to such an extreme that is hard to feel any sympathy for him. Heck, I didn't feel any remorse for him in his final moments because of how unsympathetic he is in the main story.

While not as much as a least favorite as the ones listed above, I think I'll give a dishonorable mention to Berkut. I used to be indifferent to him back then, but lately, I found my opinion of him dropping down, to the point he may end up being amongst the likes of the villains I listed above. It's mainly due to what he does in Act 5 when he kills Rinea and how the game, her, and Alm completely forgive him even though such an act removed any sympathy we were supposed to have for him prior.

Edited by Erureido

On 29.1.2018 at 4:20 PM, X-Naut said:

You answered your own question. Although there's also her being meek but still strong, which is a huge turn-on for some people.

Well, let's not forget that unlike Brom she actually changed a lot between the two games. In the first game she was so insecure that she tried to speak as little as possible but by the time of Radiant Dawn she managed to completely overcome her insecurities and is able to speak openly towards nobles such as Lucia and Elincia as well as ...difficult people like Heather. This shift in attitude extends to the battlefield too. She stood firmly against an entire group of Ludweck's rebels as well as fellow villagers willing to join them, with only Brom to back her up. Nevermind that it's already pretty awesome that instead of waiting for one of the sides to drag her into the conflict she decided to take matters into her own hands.

Edited by BrightBow

Least favourites, huh? I think I have one in every FE game...

FE6: I only played this game once, but Merlinus struck me as being particularly unlikable. I don't even know what it was that made me dislike this guy so much, but I got peeved whenever he appeared on screen.

FE7: Sain. I hate the womanizer trope and he doesn't do anything to change my mind.

FE8: Innes. He's an asshole to anyone and everyone and looks the part on top of it. How he is so popular among the fans, I will never know.

FE9: Hard to pick one since I like most of the Tellius cast, but my vote would have to go to Soren. He has a good reason to be, but I think he takes his racism against Laguz a bit TOO far.

FE10: Sothe, followed closely by Pelleas. The former begins and ends with "I want to f*** protect you, Micaiah" and the latter is a complete wuss. What they both have in common is a craving for a certain silver haired maiden's private parts.

FE11: Nyna. One of the most incompetent rulers in the franchise. Hides behind Marth all the time. She gives Elincia a run for her money and at least Elincia had a good reason to be not that good at her job.

FE12: Kris. Generic Avatar is generic

FE13: Sully. How NOT to represent feminism in your game. "Mheh, mheh, mheh, I am a woman and I am strong, mheh, mheh, mheh!" If you really were strong, you wouldn't have to throw the fact that you're a woman around in every conversation you have. The same goes for her daughter Kjelle as well. Dishonorable mentions go to Donnel and Ricken, who are just plain annoying and Inigo, who is my reason for never having married Olivia in Awakening. He would be the one I would actually put on my list, but he is voiced by the glorious Liam O'Brien, which earns him some favourable points.

FE14 Birthright: Takumi. Or "What if Innes turned into a weeb and subsequently into a meme". I swear, half this guy's popularity only stems from the #BlameTakumi and "Nohrian Scum!" memes. He's the asshole archer stereotype to a T and thus shits in the same bucket as the aforementioned Innes and Shinon, the latter of whom at least managed to be hilarious while being an asshole.
Dishonorable mentions: Hinoka, Ryoma, Kiragi, Hayato

FE14 Conquest: Xander. Or "How to mock the overly loyal soldier archetype". Or "the worst Camus you will ever see". Or "What if the trope 'Lawful Stupid' became a character". How this spineless coward ever rose to such popularity, the world may never know.
Dishonorable mentions: Camilla, Leo, Forrest, Niles

FE14 Revelation: Azura. She's basically Ninian without the parts that made Ninian into a decent character. She's mysterious for the sake of it and her mere presence is detrimental to both Conquest's and Birthright's plots. There is literally no reason for anyone to trust her (I think this was the reason they made Corrin overly trusting of everyone), as she never says anything about herself and then she has the gall to be all hypocritical about it (like threatening to kill Shura when he doesn't give her the information she wants or calling Corrin out on taking Zola along). This is the one point I actually agree with Takumi about. But even then, the guy manages to disappoint me by accepting her as family either way.
Her song also really gets on your nerves after a while and along with it, she proves a very clear lack of intelligence (fyi, if your song kills you, then maybe don't sing it without having any reason to!). Maybe one of the guys who kidnapped her dropped her on her head or something, idc.
And that's not even getting into her design. Why is it that she manages to look pretty in cutscenes, but her in-game model and portrait just look... weird, especially around her eyes? It's unsettling and I can't put my finger on why that is the case.
Dishonorable mentions: Jakob, Dwyer

FE15 Alm's Route: Like Tellius, not really anyone I HATE per se, but in terms of least favourite character, I would probably nominate Gray for basically pushing the woman rights movement back by about 30 years with his pestering of Clair and her eventually giving in out of what I can only assume is the realization that there is no point in turning him down any longer, since he won't give up, no matter what she does.

FE15 Celica's Route: No one, actually. Maybe Deen for being what is essentially an edgy Squidward? Yeah, let's go with that.