Regarding the Units you start with for free

Eail

Alfonse, Sharena, Anna, Reigh, Virion, and Matthew.

Do not use these units, they are your typical filler fodder type units present in every Gacha game in the start, they are 2 star units. For reference the lowest level unit you can SUMMON is a three star unit.

A level 15 Alfonse is objectively worse than a Level 1 Lyn, and a complete waste of resources if you try to advance his rarity and boost him up, goes for all these starter units, they're worthless, replace them in your party as soon as you're capable of doing so and don't look back until we have some event down the line in the story that actually makes them better.

The two-star units can be useful if you're willing to get them to a higher star level and fuse them.  I will be doing that for Raigh in the near future, since I have another one, and he's pretty damn hilarious.  Matthew has some utility, if your pulls consist of a lot of Olivia and Niles.

Alfonse/Sharena/Anna are useful if you really suck at pulling certain types of units.  I'm still using Sharena because I don't have a good lance unit to replace her (no I am not using Donnel/Jagen, they're in a worse spot than Sharena ATM). . .not that she needs it, because Rally Attack is really good.