Please help me with this sprite!

Hunterius

Hey, this is my first post here and I wanted your help with this icon sprite that I am making:

Blue Fairy Resized.png

It is a Blue Fairy, I am trying to insert these new items that are those little fairys that add some boost to the unit that is carrying it.

But I don't now how to adjust the size of the sprite in the size for adding in the game, If you didn't realize yet it's one "space" in the left and two in the right(Only counting the green space), and I want to adjust that to make them match.

Can someone help me?

Edited by Hunterius

Couple of things:

1) If you're using Paint, before you even start drawing, adjust the size of the canvas to 16 pixels by 16 pixels. On Windows 7, that's under the Image area in the Home Ribbon tab. (The correct sized item will end up looking like this: https://gyazo.com/b61e0af61f88bb8bb69aa0ab2747e147) (Done in my graphics editor, not in Paint.)

2) Icons don't need to be symmetrical. There are plenty of official icons from the main games that have less space on one side of the 16x16 tile than on the other.

3) If you're planning on inserting this into a GBA game, you'll either have to change the RGB values of the colors (each channel needs to be multiples of 8 - 0, 8, 16, 24, 32, ..., 232, 240, 248) and change the palette for all of the other icons to use the colors in this icon, or you'll have to adjust this icon to use the standard palette that all of the other icons use.

Not to toot my own horn, but you can find basically everything you might need in this old (and, honestly, probably kind of out of date) tutorial post:

There's also other free-to-use programs, tools, tutorials, etc. listed in the main Spriter's Resource thread:

Edited by Lord Glenn

So Glenn the items doesn't need to be symetrical? Good to know!

Changing subject, is that pair up on your signature real?I mean functional and can be insert in a hack/fan game?

Edited by Hunterius

Yeah, here's a couple of examples:

410929ae9e002c1460881d62d5abe30e.png

df72b19a6a85d6994bf68974889818b7.png

It happens more frequently with items than with weapons, but it can happen across the board. I don't remember if it's linked in the Resource topic or not, but this is a rip of all of the icons with the 16x16 "tiles" from FE8, done by the legendary Ice Dragon:

6f17bb1b0574498d5746e84fffeba5c8.png

As for the signature, the one on the left is just a mock up, done in a graphics program. The one on the right from Super Robot Taisen: Original Generation 2, yeah, that's hex modification (on a game with basically no documentation... ;_;).

Edited by Lord Glenn