Staves such as Assault

Dual Dragons

I'm unable to figure out what exactly is the damage calculation for Assault and similar staves.

Level 9 Troubadour with Assault

Attack: 16

Assault: 10

Description from tapping the Staff icon: "Staff. Magical weapon. Range: 2 (attack only). Damage reduced by target's Res."

Level 9 Gwendolyn/Wendy

Defense: 15

Resistance: 8

She took 4 damage from this Troubadour. My Beruka took 4 despite having 7 Res. It doesn't make sense to me even if I subtract the Res from the assumed base Attack, the combined Attack, or just from Assault. Though the fact that it only dealt 4 to both Gwendolyn and Beruka despite differing Res's makes me think there's something else I'm missing here (like dividing by two and truncating decimals or something like that).

What is Beruka def? Is it 15?

If it's less than 15.

Then Assault is definitely a Magic attack. We just dont know the attack formula yet.
I thought it was ((Mt+Atk)- def/res )/2. But it isnt.

Based on those examples, it would seem to be the usual damage calculations plus a "/2, then rounded down if applicable" at the end.

Two matchups isn't really a big enough sample size, though.

Edited by Topaz Light

Got some more data!

Lissa: Atk 20; Assault 10

Attacked Cavalier: Res 5 -> 7 damage

Attacked Mage: Res 6 -> 7 damage

In addition, with Lucina's passive skill of Atk+2, Lissa did 8 damage to both the cavalier and mage. 

So far, Topaz's formula looks right! (Reg damage calc)/2 rounded down works in both of these cases. Will continue to experiment!

3 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Attack damage is very very weird. It doesn't seem to be based on Power + Might - Def/Res alone, even when triangle and other bonuses are not factored in.

Do you have any numbers to support this?  At this point, I think we need numbers.  Lots of numbers.  Unfortunately, I'm out of stamina, and I don't want to chug all of my potions today.

Just now, eclipse said:

Do you have any numbers to support this?  At this point, I think we need numbers.  Lots of numbers.  Unfortunately, I'm out of stamina, and I don't want to chug all of my potions today.

It's just something I noticed, but haven't written down. Is Might already factored into the Attack Power stat though? If so that might be why.

Just now, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

It's just something I noticed, but haven't written down. Is Might already factored into the Attack Power stat though? If so that might be why.

Yep, MT is already factored in.

@Ryuke: It was 15-16 Def (she leveled up that map and can't remember what she had when she fought).

@Topaz Light: I know it's a small sample size. Just thought I can get some insight from others (seems the "/2" would be about right) and wouldn't mind putting more data here in the future regarding the matter. I was more hoping in that it wasn't me that Assault was working in that way.

@Soonaynay: Though a small sample size, it's a good start. Thanks for the input.

@SatsumaFSoysoy: So far, the normal formula of Attack + Might - Def/Res is sound to me. I haven't been able to level up in stars yet but I think the Attack is already factoring in the Might. Examples of Camilla and Olivia switching weapons in spoiler:

Spoiler

Here's my 5-star Camilla with different weapons:

Camilla w/ Iron Axe (Might: 6) = 24

Camilla w/ Steel Axe (Might: 8) = 26

Camilla w/ Brave Axe (Might: 5) = 23

Camilla w/ Brave Axe+ (Might: 8) = 26

And 4-star Olivia:

Olivia w/ Iron Sword (Might: 6) = 15

Olivia w/ Steel Sword (Might: 8) = 17

Olivia w/ Silver Sword (Might: 11) = 20

The weapon triangle advantage/disadvantage, from observation, applies the 20% to the Attack (it truncates decimals) and then calculates damage the way we've known. And effectiveness seems to be +50% to Attack. No numbers for now but could provide those if necessary in an edit.

Thanks for the comments, everyone. If I feel like looking into the matter more, I might edit this post with new data or write another post with the data. And anyone's welcome to contribute if interested. :)

I did some tiny maths here (like really tiny) but yeah, effective bonus seems to be +50% Atk.

Also staves damage being halved makes some sense as they're supposed to be weak but unhindered by the triangle.

Also also the weapon Mt is already included in Atk calculation.

Edited by Vaximillian

Okay... 

Red Alphonse vs Grey Takumi

18+2(Darting Blow) - 10 (def) = 10 dmg (Correct)

Blue Corrin vs Grey Sakura

22 Atk - 12 Res = 10 dmg (Correct)

No division.
Maybe its just for Assault. (Need more testing?)

Red Sword Hits Blue Lance - IE Weakness  (I have 1 Triangle Adept => 5 star Roy)

(Atk-Def)/2   AND ROUND UP (Triangle Adept didnt seem to play a role or it helps the round up)
(36-15)/2 = 10.5 (And I deal 11 dmg)

Red Sword Hits Blue Lance - (w/o Triangle Adept => Alphonse)

(18-15)/2 = 1.5 AND ROUND DOWN (I can only deal 1 dmg)

Blue Lance Hits Red - IE Weakness  (I have 1 Triangle Adept => 5 star Roy)
(21*1.2-16*0.9) = 10.8 (They deal 11) -- 0.9 because Triangle Adept (Either its 0.9 your def or 1.3* their attack)

Blue Lance Hits Red - (w/o Triangle Adept => Alphonse)

(21*1.2-14*1) = 11.2

Rough doesnt make sense math

Edited by Ryuke

Triangle benefits are +/−20% Atk, not doubling or halving or anything, actually.
Triangle Adept increases both the boost and the penalty, like the reaver weapons in FE7 and 8.

46 minutes ago, Ryuke said:

Red Sword Hits Blue Lance - IE Weakness  (I have 1 Triangle Adept => 5 star Roy)
(Atk-Def)/2   AND ROUND UP (Triangle Adept didnt seem to play a role or it helps the round up)
(36-15)/2 = 10.5 (And I deal 11 dmg)

Red Sword Hits Blue Lance - (w/o Triangle Adept => Alphonse)
(18-15)/2 = 1.5 AND ROUND DOWN (I can only deal 1 dmg)

Blue Lance Hits Red - IE Weakness  (I have 1 Triangle Adept => 5 star Roy)
(21-16)*2 = 10 (They deal 11) ... It could be the Triangle Adept.

Blue Lance Hits Red - (w/o Triangle Adept => Alphonse)
(21-14)*2 = 14 (They deal 11)

Red Roy (Triangle Adept rank 1, I presume, so additional −10%) hits Blue Lance: 36 × 0,7 = 25,2, rounded down to 25; 25 − 15 = 10.
Red Alfonse (supposedly with Death Blow rank 1, so additional 2 Atk) hits Blue Lance: 20 × 0,8 = 16; 16 − 15 = 1.

Blue Lance hits Red Roy (Triangle Adept rank 1 again, so additional +10%): 21 × 1,3 = 27,3, rounded down to 27; 27 − 16 = 11.
Blue Lance hits Red Alfonse: 21 × 1,2 = 25,2, rounded down to 25; 25 − 14 = 11.

No idea why your Roy did one more damage in the first example. There must have been some skills I can't remember off the top of my head.

Edited by Vaximillian

Thank you ... Vaximillian.

I forgot I had Death Blow on Alphonse. Thanks for correcting me ( & Eclipse )

Nope.. no bonus skill on Roy.

Just did another example. Same thing Roy Red hits Blue Lance of same def. 11 dmg

It might be this.
Red Roy (TAdept1) -> Blue
36*(0.9*0.8) = 25.92 rounded up 26 -15 = 11

Blue -> Red Roy (TAdept1)
21*(1.2*1.1) = 28-16 = 12-2 = 10 (But I took 11 dmg. Note: the -2 is the Def+2 (Binding Blade) when equipped-It doesnt show in the Stats -- I just de-equip it to Steel sword and I didnt lose def

Take 10% of the 80% I lose as damage. However if I apply this for the reverse it doesnt work.

EDIT Got even more bad news. Upgrade TAdept1 to TAdept2. The math stops making sense.

37 Atk hits a 16 Def and I deal 9 dmg
19 Atk hits a 17 Def (making it 19 with BBlade) and I lose 8 dmg

Edited by Ryuke