"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

2 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

Well, Gaius' lower rarity also helps him here, it's easier to pull a good boon for someone @ 3* than Kagero, who's 4-5*. A +Atk boon with L&D Gaiuis covers 5 more units than a neutral Kagero with L&D  (79/110 versus 74/110), and don't get me started about -Atk or -Spd Kagero, which happens 40% of the time. Gaius' better mixed bulk also means that on the enemy phase, he only dies to 17 units versus Kagero's 36, making deathless runs a bit easier.

How do you all make all these calculations?

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

Well, Gaius' lower rarity also helps him here, it's easier to pull a good boon for someone @ 3* than Kagero, who's 4-5*. A +Atk boon with L&D Gaiuis covers 5 more units than a neutral Kagero with L&D  (79/110 versus 74/110), and don't get me started about -Atk or -Spd Kagero, which happens 40% of the time. Gaius' better mixed bulk also means that on the enemy phase, he only dies to 17 units versus Kagero's 36, making deathless runs a bit easier.

+Atk Gaius = -Atk Kagero

I guess the additional bulk is a good argument in his favor.  It's cheaper to max out Kagero, SP-wise.

1 minute ago, DraconicFeline said:

Of course it's possible, but I'm not going to waste time and resources on units that have been RNG-crippled when there are plenty of alternatives available. I'm not trying to just come here and bitch; I'm looking for some advice on how they can be used and whether or not it's worth it.

I appreciate the input on Lilina; I know for some of the slower units a Speed bane can still really hurt them, and I couldn't tell if Lilina was one of those. Looks like Sully and Fae are still perfectly viable as well, which I'm happy about.

After the fiasco that was the tower quests, I'm going to train up at least one of every named character, regardless of boon/bane.  Besides, there's no telling how the meta will shift in the future, so those boon/banes that look like crap now may shine in the future.

I linked a stat table below, so it'll give you a rough idea of someone's stats, and what their general niche is.  Unless you're staring at a -Atk Subaki (and even he has its uses), there's probably something your unit can do half-decently, even with a stat deduction of 3-4.

Just now, Fire Penguin Disco Panda said:

My favorite resource.  There's also a match-up calculator floating around, but I'm not overly fond of it.

8 minutes ago, Fire Penguin Disco Panda said:

Most people use a spreadsheet they made in excel, and that's probably more accurate---not to mention more personalized---but, personally, I only need a rough ball-park, so I use a duel simulator from reddit. It's not 100% accurate, but it's good enough. (Arena matches are volatile enough that rough ball-parks are about as good as it'll get anyway).

Edit: @eclipse Gaius' higher speed means he nabs a few KOs Kagero couldn't, and the 3 points or so of ATK he's missing doesn't seem to affect much. (-Atk or -Spd Kagero's coverage is in the 60s, versus neutral and Gaius' 70s.)

Edited by DehNutCase

I still have some unused units due to sticking to my main team. So I decided to use some of them.

• 3* Frederick: -HP/+Atk
  • 4* Ogma: -Atk/+Spd
  • 4* Merric: -HP/+Def
  • 3* M!Robin: -HP/+Def
  • 3* Cecilia: -Res/+Atk

Should I use them? I'll probably focus on the greens first since my only good green unit is F!Robin.

@eclipse @DehNutCase Alrighty, thanks, I always saw people saying stuff about the stats and battles and never figured how they made it look so easy.

Anyway, I don't know if this goes here or in the "Not sure what skill to inherit" thread but I found the Desperado build for Lucina on the wiki and wanted to ask for thoughts, since I have the correct IVs (+SPD/-HP). It's based on inheriting Ardent Sacrifice, Moonbow, Fury 3, Desperation 3 and Threaten SPD 3 and I'll quote the explanation.

Spoiler

"Female Marth with a -HP IV has a maximum HP of 40, which causes Ardent Sacrifice to bring her to exactly 75% HP: the activation threshold of Desperation. Fury grants a substantial stat boost at the cost of nonlethal damage, which Falchion's passive compensates for. Life and Death is another option for Female Marth'sPassive A-skill that gives her a more substantial boost to her offenses, though as mentioned, Falchion's healing factor can take her OUT of the Desperation threshold, so the recoil from Fury actually helps to keep her in that range. Coupled with a +Spd IV, Fury allows Female Marth to double neutral unbuffed units with high base speed such as Leg Marth (Lyn), Female Maarth, Nino, and Lobster Marth (Ryoma). With Threaten Speed, she doubles those units even buffed or with +Spd IVs. Desperation allows Female Math to remove units that she doubles without taking a counterattack in return, drastically improving survivability while complementing her offensive power. Moonbow is chosen for its low charge time, though Luna is an option to carve through high-defense units more easily. Take care to keep Female Marth at or below 30 HP for Desperation (unless attacking units that die to the first hit or are ranged), and be wary of abilities that prevent doubling such as Swordbreaker. For this reason, it's worth noting that Female Marth is not as good as units such as Hana for a Desperation build, since she actively has to fight against Falchion's healing in order to remain within the auto-doubling threshold, however it does give her some flexibility that Hana lacks."

Edited by Fire Penguin Disco Panda

6 minutes ago, Fire Penguin Disco Panda said:

@eclipse @DehNutCase Alrighty, thanks, I always saw people saying stuff about the stats and battles and never figured how they made it look so easy.

Anyway, I don't know if this goes here or in the "Not sure what skill to inherit" thread but I found the Desperado build for Lucina on the wiki and wanted to ask for thoughts, since I have the correct IVs. It's based on inheriting Ardent Sacrifice, Moonbow, Fury 3, Desperation 3 and Threaten SPD 3 and I'll quote the explanation.

Reveal hidden contents

"Female Marth with a -HP IV has a maximum HP of 40, which causes Ardent Sacrifice to bring her to exactly 75% HP: the activation threshold of Desperation. Fury grants a substantial stat boost at the cost of nonlethal damage, which Falchion's passive compensates for. Life and Death is another option for Female Marth'sPassive A-skill that gives her a more substantial boost to her offenses, though as mentioned, Falchion's healing factor can take her OUT of the Desperation threshold, so the recoil from Fury actually helps to keep her in that range. Coupled with a +Spd IV, Fury allows Female Marth to double neutral unbuffed units with high base speed such as Leg Marth (Lyn), Female Maarth, Nino, and Lobster Marth (Ryoma). With Threaten Speed, she doubles those units even buffed or with +Spd IVs. Desperation allows Female Math to remove units that she doubles without taking a counterattack in return, drastically improving survivability while complementing her offensive power. Moonbow is chosen for its low charge time, though Luna is an option to carve through high-defense units more easily. Take care to keep Female Marth at or below 30 HP for Desperation (unless attacking units that die to the first hit or are ranged), and be wary of abilities that prevent doubling such as Swordbreaker. For this reason, it's worth noting that Female Marth is not as good as units such as Hana for a Desperation build, since she actively has to fight against Falchion's healing in order to remain within the auto-doubling threshold, however it does give her some flexibility that Hana lacks."

Lucina is one of the weaker users of Desperation, sadly.

The main issue is that her Falchion is supposed to offset the recoil damage taken from Fury, but then maintaining Desperation becomes more difficult. Swordbreaker in her B slot is a more popular and more practical option considering Lucina isn't a straight-up dps character, but rather a frontliner who covers her team's weaknesses. Spur Atk in her C slot is a great aura as is and doesn't need to be replaced, at all; the same applies to Moonbow.

EDIT: Since Desperation requires the user to be lower on health, units that can attack without fear of a counter, namely ranged and brave units, make much better use of Desperation provided they can hit the appropriate speed benchmarks. For instance, it's a strong option for units like Nino and Tharja who are used on buff teams, as they are relatively frail while having the potential to become incredibly fast, and Desperation prevents them from ever having to eat a counter.

Edited by MrSmokestack

1 minute ago, MrSmokestack said:

The main issue is that her Falchion is supposed to offset the recoil damage taken from Fury, but then maintaining Desperation becomes more difficult. Swordbreaker in her B slot is a more popular and more practical option considering Lucina isn't a straight-up dps character, but rather a frontliner who covers her team's weaknesses. Spur Atk in her C slot is a great aura as is and doesn't need to be replaced, at all; the same applies to Moonbow.

There's then any recommendation on the assist skill? I'm still pretty newbie at the advanced arena tactics but I usually feel in need of some movement skills to reposition heroes after they killed an enemy, because they usually end killed as well by other foes. If Ardent Sacrifice is good for her anyways I don't mind slapping it on her. And thanks for the skill thread, it's pretty useful.

15 minutes ago, Zero1000 said:

I still have some unused units due to sticking to my main team. So I decided to use some of them.

Should I use them? I'll probably focus on the greens first since my only good green unit is F!Robin.

- Frederick: He doesn't mind that boon/bane combo.  Things will either die because of his slightly inflated Atk, or die because not much survives a Luna-boosted Frederick charging at them.
- Ogma: 32 Speed with a Brave Sword+ equipped, what the hell is this nonsense?  Slap Death Blow on him and call it a day.
- Merric: While he'd rather have +Atk, this combo is serviceable.
- M!Robin: See Merric, except he doesn't mind +Spd either.  +Def means slightly stronger Bonfires.
- Cecilia: That's one of her best boon/bane combos IMO.

EDIT:

1 minute ago, Fire Penguin Disco Panda said:

There's then any recommendation on the assist skill? I'm still pretty newbie at the advanced arena tactics but I usually feel in need of some movement skills to reposition heroes after they killed an enemy, because they usually end killed as well by other foes. If Ardent Sacrifice is good for her anyways I don't mind slapping it on her. And thanks for the skill thread, it's pretty useful.

Swap's always a good choice.  Shove is another one, if you're as crazy as I am, and run Vantage over Swordbreaker (I have zero Abels and someone else needed the spare Sully).

If you run M!Robin, and had him inherit stuff from Selena, he should have Reposition.

Edited by eclipse

4 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

Well, aside from the problem of keeping desperation on---minor problem, considering how fast Lucina sweeps---Lucina has some damn good numbers. Same speed as Hana, same ATK as Silver Sword+ Hana (she has 1 less at base, but Falchion has +1 over Silver+), and actual bulk, unlike Hana, who dies from an angry look. You can trigger desperation the 'hard' way by just running Lucina at someone, one rounding them and getting her down to desperation range, since she can survive 1 hit from most melees.

27 minutes ago, eclipse said:

After the fiasco that was the tower quests, I'm going to train up at least one of every named character, regardless of boon/bane.  Besides, there's no telling how the meta will shift in the future, so those boon/banes that look like crap now may shine in the future.

I linked a stat table below, so it'll give you a rough idea of someone's stats, and what their general niche is.  Unless you're staring at a -Atk Subaki (and even he has its uses), there's probably something your unit can do half-decently, even with a stat deduction of 3-4.

Fair enough, and I'll probably start adopting that philosophy for different move and weapon types (I regret not ever training any armored units besides Effie). But I've made the mistake of investing in units with crippling IVs only to pull a better one later on, so I'm not keen on repeating it. None of the units I listed above are super rare, nor do I really need them all that badly, so I'm fine with waiting for a stronger variant if their bane is particularly counterproductive. That said, you won't see me ditching my -Spd Ephraim anytime soon.

4 minutes ago, Zero1000 said:

I have the same Cecilia, and I can vouch for her -- she'll do great, especially on a cavalry team. (Feed her a Gronnblade and she'll be absolutely busted.)

I remember one guy here had his excel sheet in his sig where he predicted FE character that werent on FEH ... and what weapon type they would use.

(Anyone knows who he is or did your own version?)

---

Attempting to full blast Green for Gauntlet (16% 5*) ... but I want to know in the future who may be potentially a Green Unit and is my bias. Since After blasting green. I will avoid that color for a long while.

Edited by Ryuke

Well, I run Lucina -HP+SPD Fury 2 + Desperation 3 and have no problem at all in maintaining desperation active due to fury recoil and the first taken hit. Rushing Lucina at someone that can counter and she can double is especially useful because it leaves Luna ready to go. Probably it works for me because I use a dancer in the team, which allows quick sweeps and the fury recoil builds up quickly too.

This has been bothering me for a while since I've been burnt by some bane/boon combinations e.g. both Lon'qu I have... Anyway, two Shannas: one's neutral and the other has +Atk/-HP. I'm leaning towards neutral Shanna since she'd just be average which is fine, but +Atk Shanna is definitely going to pack a harder punch. Two problems are that my 2 other main fliers, Catria and Subaki, started out as 4* and also have +Atk in return for not as bad of a bane in my opinion: Catria has -Spd while Subaki has -Res. I say this since the other problem is about half of my army has HP bane. I don't know what it is about this, but most of my units have it. Some can get away with it like Gunter has naturally high defense and Armored Blow and Selena is, in general, very bulky and fast making getting doubled not a problem unlike Hawkeye. Others can't or they just make me worry and Shanna's one of them. I'd rather not have a ton of glass cannons or having a glass cannon be even more glass.

The other thing is Oboro. Quick Riposte? She's normally slow unless you get a speed boon one which a friend has and she's amazing. Current one I'm using is +Atk/-Res the other one who showed up with her and got benched immediately was -Atk/+Res. I am not kidding. This game hates me getting blues -- average Shanna was the turning point for slightly better blue luck -- and any archer. Here, have the same new blue unit, but crappier. Thanks, I'll put crappy Donnel next to the average Donnel you just gave me that I could have gotten normally by the special maps.

Anyway, I figure that because Oboro's defense is also naturally high, she could make very good use of Quick Riposte. Or I could give her Lancebreaker and Swordbreaker, but those are kind of rare skills to get, especially a full set of them which is only possible with Narcian for Lancebreaker and Abel for Swordbreaker. Meanwhile, Laslow handing out Axebreaker like it was candy.

30 minutes ago, MidnightFE said:

Ahh I just pulled +ATK/-DEF 3* Eliwood and I'm thinking of making a new build for him. Any suggestions? 

Just how much do you want to invest in him?  He's going to have piss-poor defenses, but he'll hit relatively hard.

11 minutes ago, Kaden said:

This has been bothering me for a while since I've been burnt by some bane/boon combinations e.g. both Lon'qu I have... Anyway, two Shannas: one's neutral and the other has +Atk/-HP. I'm leaning towards neutral Shanna since she'd just be average which is fine, but +Atk Shanna is definitely going to pack a harder punch. Two problems are that my 2 other main fliers, Catria and Subaki, started out as 4* and also have +Atk in return for not as bad of a bane in my opinion: Catria has -Spd while Subaki has -Res. I say this since the other problem is about half of my army has HP bane. I don't know what it is about this, but most of my units have it. Some can get away with it like Gunter has naturally high defense and Armored Blow and Selena is, in general, very bulky and fast making getting doubled not a problem unlike Hawkeye. Others can't or they just make me worry and Shanna's one of them. I'd rather not have a ton of glass cannons or having a glass cannon be even more glass.

The other thing is Oboro. Quick Riposte? She's normally slow unless you get a speed boon one which a friend has and she's amazing. Current one I'm using is +Atk/-Res the other one who showed up with her and got benched immediately was -Atk/+Res. I am not kidding. This game hates me getting blues -- average Shanna was the turning point for slightly better blue luck -- and any archer. Here, have the same new blue unit, but crappier. Thanks, I'll put crappy Donnel next to the average Donnel you just gave me that I could have gotten normally by the special maps.

Anyway, I figure that because Oboro's defense is also naturally high, she could make very good use of Quick Riposte. Or I could give her Lancebreaker and Swordbreaker, but those are kind of rare skills to get, especially a full set of them which is only possible with Narcian for Lancebreaker and Abel for Swordbreaker. Meanwhile, Laslow handing out Axebreaker like it was candy.

1. Shanna lives and dies by her kills, so I'd run +Atk.  -HP isn't a bad bane at all.  I don't think it'll cause her to be ORKO'd by a large number of units (besides archers, who she should stay away from anyway).
2. I'm quite content with Oboro's Seal Defense.  She's a wall and then some, and I'd have to swap out a lot of things before I'd consider changing her B slot (her weapon, for one).  Though if I could run anything, I'd do Renewal, because she is that much of a pain to get rid of.

Edited by eclipse

54 minutes ago, MidnightFE said:

Ahh I just pulled +ATK/-DEF 3* Eliwood and I'm thinking of making a new build for him. Any suggestions? 

Definitely worth 4*ing.  Like Eclipse said, it's going to take a lot of effort for a 5* though.  I would say he definitely needs some skills swapped out and perhaps a few (+) fodder.  Fury could work on him to bump up his stats, but I feel like Fury is my solution to everything.  There are better units, but if you have any personal attachment to Eliwood and/or his bugeyes I think it's worth it.  He's definitely not bad.  The nature is good, since he's typically used as an attacker. 

As a 4* unit, however, he's very useful in cavalry teams when they need a little extra bulk.

Edited by Lushen

44 minutes ago, Lushen said:

Definitely worth 4*ing.  Like Eclipse said, it's going to take a lot of effort for a 5* though.  I would say he definitely needs some skills swapped out and perhaps a few (+) fodder.  Fury could work on him to bump up his stats, but I feel like Fury is my solution to everything.  There are better units, but if you have any personal attachment to Eliwood and/or his bugeyes I think it's worth it.  He's definitely not bad.  The nature is good, since he's typically used as an attacker. 

As a 4* unit, however, he's very useful in cavalry teams when they need a little extra bulk.

If I truly wanted to make that Eliwood shine, he'd be bumped to 5*, inherit Death Blow and Iceberg, and one-punch everything to death, because that's 60 MT total.

@eclipse, regarding Shanna, fair enough. -HP/+Atk has been able to clear out enemies better than average Shanna, but average Shanna is more stable when I used her.

Re: Oboro. And I forgot Seal Def is a B-slot. Yeah, that's a good skill. The only issue is that I've run into red sword units who were fast enough to double her and despite her high defense, she ends up taking considerably more damage than she deals. Arena and training stratums I've brought her into have had stuff where I'm like, "Yeah, she should be fine", but then it shows the outcome and she's either dead or will be dead on the next turn while being used as a wall or after getting ganged up on the enemy phase. Sure, let's put her there as a wall. Instantly dies to a red sword unit. All I can think is: "Are you serious?" It might be because she's a 3*, but even then, other 3* units who were still stat screwed still did better than her at times. I'll figure out something for this smug girl. Should probably just give her second, +Res/-Def Jagen's Silver Lance... Average Jagen did fine for me; Jagen would rather have +Atk, +Def, or +Spd than having even more stupid res for lower def. Maybe Aegis since I have a spare 4* +Def/-Res Hinata -- I do not need more units with crappy res and average Hinata's been doing fine -- I could just dump his Fury 3 onto Oboro if I really, really wanted to. Pavise is probably not useful since she's that durable. Then again, the sword units who did a crapton of damage on her even with her defense.

And because I'm distraught over having no archers other than Virion. How are Gordin, Niles, and Rebecca? I've used a Jeorge before on my first file and he's really good and the previous Voting Gauntlet gave me a chance to use Klein, Setsuna, and Takumi. Klein's a strong player phase unit -- that damage --, Setsuna's goofy, and Takumi, well, it's Takumi.

I hope I get an archer in my next summons even though I want Camilla, Cordelia, and Hinoka and another at least neutral Cherche or neutral attack Cherche. I swear if it doesn't happen... It's going to be 16-20 total summons without one single godforsaken archer. I don't even have the luxury of choosing between 2 different archers.

Edited by Kaden

@eclipse and @Lushen 

Thank you for your input. I definitely appreciate it. I want to make a strong cavalry team and I think I could get a lot out of grinding Eliwood into a stronger unit if paired with my Gunter and a Reinhardt or Olwen (if I can ever pull them rip :( ) 

EDIT: @Lushen speaking of Fury, I found a nice setup. On Bunny Camilla, combined with her Green Egg +, the damage from Fury balances out with the healing from her tome. 

Edited by MidnightFE

19 minutes ago, Reloaded said:

Does Merric have any useful skills to give to others?

He has HP+5 (5*), Growing Wind (4*) and Spur Res (4*).... sooo nothing really.

Edit: His Excalibur can't be transferred.

Edited by Kalibur

5 hours ago, Ryuke said:

I remember one guy here had his excel sheet in his sig where he predicted FE character that werent on FEH ... and what weapon type they would use.

(Anyone knows who he is or did your own version?)

It was me, was it not?

2 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Did you think Lucius would be a Staff user?

Nobody could have predicted that.

I didn't think Lachesis would lose her Earth sword either.

Any confirmed characters have their confirmed type and weapon in the table.

Inheritance question here: 

I have a +Spd / -Def Marth which has served me quite well. I decided to try Renewal on him, and I'm wondering what special skill would be best for him between Escutcheon and Moonbow. It seems like Moonbow is one of the best special skills to give units, but I know that Escutcheon is also a fast-acting skill.

Any suggestions?