"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

1 minute ago, wizzard of soz said:

what are the calcs on effective damage, like with Poison Dagger?

Multiply Atk (after buffs/debuffs) by 1.5. Round down.

Then multiply by weapon triangle modifier. Round down if advantage, round up if disadvantage (i.e. towards the number before weapon triangle modifier).

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thank ya. although, this seems wrong, so i probably misunderstood something here. 

there's a Kagerou with 47 attack. so i multiply that by 1.5, get 70.5, which rounds down to 70. versus my T-Adept 2 Robin, the weapon triangle modifier should be .65, yes? but that gets me 45.5, which seems...way too much considering the Kagerous i've seen have done around 15 damage. 

2 minutes ago, wizzard of soz said:

thank ya. although, this seems wrong, so i probably misunderstood something here. 

there's a Kagerou with 47 attack. so i multiply that by 1.5, get 70.5, which rounds down to 70. versus my T-Adept 2 Robin, the weapon triangle modifier should be .65, yes? but that gets me 45.5, which seems...way too much considering the Kagerous i've seen have done around 15 damage. 

That's 46 effective Atk, minus Robin's neutral 29 Def means 17 damage.

On 2.5.2017 at 5:31 PM, MaskedAmpharos said:

Easily +Atk.

Atk is far and away the most important stat on a Brave user, and the -Def should rarely come into play because Hana wants to delete enemies without giving them a chance to counterattack, especially because you're going with a quad Desperation build. 

The C-slot is pretty heavily team dependent, but if you wanted to benefit Hana specifically, then either Threaten Spd or Threaten Def work (I think Spd nets a few more ORKOs though). 

I personally prefer Luna on a quad set with Hana. Draconic Aura and Luna are functionally equivalent at lower merge levels, but you begin to see more of a difference at higher merge levels (against +10 opponents, for example, or even +4 or something) or opponents running Fury, which is a common skill. She mostly already deletes squishies anyways, so Luna benefits her more against the tankier units she struggles to kill. 

For your last question: I'm not entirely sure what unit "Daraen" is supposed to be, but Draw Back is still a solid skill, yes. 

Draw Back, Reposition, and Swap all have their uses and can all work well. A large part of it is player preference.

Thank you for your advice. :)

I already assumed that +Atk Hana would be better with a Brave, but wanted some reassurance in case I was totally missing some popular skill inheritance build I'm not really up to date with. Anyways, things are going along smoothly with her, although it's kind of terrifying how many skill points she still needs to learn all of her abilities. Oh well.

Further on: Sorry for the confusion regarding the Robin/Daraen issue. I still tend to mix both names up from time to time, especially considering how Robin was still Robin during Awakening but suddenly turned into Daraen for Fates/Smash/Heroes. I believe they're going to stick to the latter now though.

Finally I'd like to ask you for your opinion on Julia if possible? I'm currently doing a lot of skill inheritance due to being close to the character limit, so she's my next "project".  Lancebreaker in her B slot seems to be nice as I don't see enough axes for Axebreaker. Green Tomebreaker probably would be another option, but I usually have no issues with Nino and pretty much never meet Bunnymilla, so I don't really know.

On the other side I'm really rather uncertain about her A skill. She seems to be too slow for Life and Death (mine is +Res/-Def btw, should that matter) and too fragile for Fury. Maybe Triangle Adept? It would allow her to just oneshot the lancers, meaning she could take another skill instead of Lancebreaker; on the defense however not all that much should change because well, here Defense ist still horrible.

For the C slot another buff skill is likely. Even though I like Breath of Life, it's probably easier to just kill everything and I haven't found myself in all that many situations where the healing was really impactful. 

Finally, considering her skill proc: I kind of like the 4 turn charge skills on her at at the moment because Dragon Fang is just nicely charged after killing Reinhardt/being attacked by Linde and then landing the finishing blow the turn afterwards - with Tringle Adept however those kills would become OHKOs, so a 3 turn proc might be better. Probably Iceberg > Draconic Aura as her Res is so high.

Also, I feel like a horrible person for throwing this wall of text at you, so if it bothers you, just say something and I'll stop.

4 minutes ago, StarBit8 said:

Just pulled a +Spd -Res Ryoma, and I'm planning to give him Ardent Sacrifice, Fury, Moonbow, and Hone Spd. What would be his best B slot, Vantage or Desperation? I can't realy decide.

I'm running Vantage, since it's funny and cheesy.

4 minutes ago, eclipse said:

I'm running Vantage, since it's funny and cheesy.

You're one of those people.

Anyway, I'm sitting on roughly 70K feathers and don't really know what to do with them. I've been told that I don't really need anything though. So I seem to have a few options:

1. Try and cover something I'm still missing such as cavalry or armor.

2. Upgrade for inheritance, but I'm hesitant to upgrade to 5* just for that (though my Young Tiki could use Lightning Breath+).

3. Upgrade GHB characters for coming revival missions.

4. Upgrade on preference over function (i.e. Chrom, Eliwood, Adult Tiki, etc.).

So...what do you think I should go with?

4 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

Anyway, I'm sitting on roughly 70K feathers and don't really know what to do with them. I've been told that I don't really need anything though. So I seem to have a few options:

2. Upgrade for inheritance, but I'm hesitant to upgrade to 5* just for that (though my Young Tiki could use Lightning Breath+).

Yes. . .yes, I am, and I'm not sorry~!

Anyway, if you don't have any pressing needs, then either save them, or maybe promote some fodder to 4* for skill inheritance.

@Sias

I tried to do the Hana quad build with what I had and it has kinda worked. I gave my spd+/hp- 4* Hana L40 a brave sword, LOD 2, axebreaker, moonbow, and a seal speed. That is for a 41/34/20/14. She can take care of most axes and at lv40 barely killing Hector. Hana will die to any blue unit and will not be able to tank more than one hit at best. 

8 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

I say #2

Other than that, #5 which is keep saving them until you reach 100k and five star five things for no reason!

Also did you 5 star the Askr trio? They will always be bonus units or whatever so that is also an option

6 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

I say #2

Other than that, #5 which is keep saving them until you reach 100k and five star five things for no reason!

Also did you 5 star the Askr trio? They will always be bonus units or whatever so that is also an option

Isn't Sharena, and maybe Anna the only ones worth promoting though? And to answer your question, they are all at 3* for me.

And while we're on it, any ideas who I should stick Vantage on? I have it on Lucina, but it doesn't seem all that useful for M!Robin.

Just now, Arthur97 said:

Isn't Sharena, and maybe Anna the only ones worth promoting though? And to answer your question, they are all at 3* for me.

Then I'd start with Sharena.

1 minute ago, Arthur97 said:

And while we're on it, any ideas who I should stick Vantage on? I have it on Lucina, but it doesn't seem all that useful for M!Robin.

Put it on anyone with monstrous attack for easy destruction on enemy phase!

2 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

Put it on anyone with monstrous attack for easy destruction on enemy phase!

Checking...Checking...Well, it seems that would be either Spring Chrom, Cherche, or Young TIki. Think I'll go with Tiki since none of the others are in my usually lineup (and Cherche is running axebreaker anyway, she is quite effective against Hector).

Okay, next installment of Ice Dragon really sucks at analyzing builds when he's sleep deprived.

Spring Camilla. With [+Spd], Gronnblade+, Life and Death 3, and buffs from Hone Fliers, she has 71 Atk and 40 Spd. Any reason to not go with this build (assume the nature can be changed)? And, how do I fill in the blanks?

Camilla (Spring) [+Spd, -Res]
Gronnblade+
[assist skill]
Moonbow?
Life and Death 3
[passive B skill]
Hone Fliers

I am, however, still tempted to run her Gronnraven build since it lets her counter kill some of the bigger threats in the game at the cost of much narrower player phase coverage. Just teach her the skills for both and swap when I feel like it?

Decisions, decisions.

59 minutes ago, Sias said:

Finally I'd like to ask you for your opinion on Julia if possible? I'm currently doing a lot of skill inheritance due to being close to the character limit, so she's my next "project".  Lancebreaker in her B slot seems to be nice as I don't see enough axes for Axebreaker. Green Tomebreaker probably would be another option, but I usually have no issues with Nino and pretty much never meet Bunnymilla, so I don't really know.

On the other side I'm really rather uncertain about her A skill. She seems to be too slow for Life and Death (mine is +Res/-Def btw, should that matter) and too fragile for Fury. Maybe Triangle Adept? It would allow her to just oneshot the lancers, meaning she could take another skill instead of Lancebreaker; on the defense however not all that much should change because well, here Defense ist still horrible.

For the C slot another buff skill is likely. Even though I like Breath of Life, it's probably easier to just kill everything and I haven't found myself in all that many situations where the healing was really impactful. 

Finally, considering her skill proc: I kind of like the 4 turn charge skills on her at at the moment because Dragon Fang is just nicely charged after killing Reinhardt/being attacked by Linde and then landing the finishing blow the turn afterwards - with Tringle Adept however those kills would become OHKOs, so a 3 turn proc might be better. Probably Iceberg > Draconic Aura as her Res is so high.

Also, I feel like a horrible person for throwing this wall of text at you, so if it bothers you, just say something and I'll stop.

For her B-slot, you generally want to run a breaker to make up for her middling speed. G Tomebreaker is the most common option, but if you have no issues with Nino or Spring Camilla then something like Bowbreaker is an option. However, it should be noted that since you have a -Def nature, this would be unadvisable if you aren't running Fury. Without Fury, neutral Jeorge and Takumi both OHKO you, rendering Bowbreaker completely useless. Lancebreaker is another option as well, as it does grant her several ORKOs that she would not normally achieve, so decide based on whether bows or lance users give you more trouble. 

Speaking of Fury, that is generally the most used A-skill on her as it gives her a little bit of everything. The speed boost helps her avoid getting doubled by a range of units in the low 30s speed range that would normally double her if she doesn't have Fury (such as Jaffar, Takumi, Jeorge, Soren, and Merric). The def/res boost are also helpful as they just barely prevent her from getting OHKOd by a few key units, such as the archers from earlier as well as neutral attack Hector (with Fury, she survives with just 1 HP and ORKOs him). The slight damage boost also secures OHKOs on the counterattack on Spring Lucina and Linde (both of whom survive if you don't have Fury), who are both common threats in Arena. Triangle Adept is generally not considered a good A-skill on her because her main niche is to be a dragonslaying mage, and T-Adept greatly reduces her ability to take down the Tikis, both of whom she can normally chunk significantly despite WTD. 

Breath of Life is an okay skill, but it's honestly pretty meh in most scenarios. I would opt to give her a Hone/Fortify/Spur skill that your team wants but isn't currently running as that would give a lot more utility overall than what Breath of Life offers. 

I would say that in most cases, Iceberg is superior to Dragon Fang (and is always superior to Draconic Aura on Julia, especially on a +Res one like yours). Iceberg is generally enough to OHKO most non-red units when charged, and that's Julia's job. However, there are fringe scenarios where Dragon Fang is better, such as when you face a Reinhardt (since Iceberg's charge would be wasted on the counterattack). Additionally, if you manage to have Dragon Fang primed, you get far more OHKOs on red units (nearly triple the amount compared to Iceberg) than you would with Iceberg. However, in the end, I would still say that Iceberg is the superior special in most cases; it's just not as much of a priority as getting Fury and a Breaker on her first. 

Also, her assist skill is, like with most characters, mostly dependent on player preference. However, I personally think either Reposition or Draw Back are the best options for a ranged unit like Julia, so I would consider those if you can get them. They're both solid choices, so it's mostly a matter of personal preference and fodder availability. 

I hope this helped!

Don't worry about it, fam. I'm perfectly happy with answering walls of text if you ask nicely; it'll just take me more time to respond to everything. 

39 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Okay, next installment of Ice Dragon really sucks at analyzing builds when he's sleep deprived.

Spring Camilla. With [+Spd], Gronnblade+, Life and Death 3, and buffs from Hone Fliers, she has 71 Atk and 40 Spd. Any reason to not go with this build (assume the nature can be changed)? And, how do I fill in the blanks?

Camilla (Spring) [+Spd, -Res]
Gronnblade+
[assist skill]
Moonbow?
Life and Death 3
[passive B skill]
Hone Fliers

I am, however, still tempted to run her Gronnraven build since it lets her counter kill some of the bigger threats in the game at the cost of much narrower player phase coverage. Just teach her the skills for both and swap when I feel like it?

Decisions, decisions.

I'd go with learning the skills for both sets.  For the -blade build, there's always Vantage.  Unless you're challenging Sanaki, you'll probably win.

For -raven, I'd go with G Tomebreaker, to ORKO Nino/Julia.

1 minute ago, rockocalypse said:

Is this garbage real/accurate? I read the interview about how/why mages can only attack at range, but are they really doing this to Gradivus?

Reveal hidden contents

They did it to Xander.  What's the problem?

---

Now, my next question:

I PULLED OBORO~!  FINALLY!

Smugface is +Spd/-Res.  I think this is a workable nature.  She reminds me of a slightly slower but bulkier Sharena.  So, any suggestions on what to do with her?  I'm thinking Killer Lance/Ignis or Bonfire/Fury/Quick Riposte or Renewal/Threaten Defense.

Edited by eclipse

3 minutes ago, rockocalypse said:

Is this garbage real/accurate? I read the interview about how/why mages can only attack at range, but are they really doing this to Gradivus?

Hide contents

garbage.PNG.df90f6a1c62f907100acb644f57b5883.PNG

I'm honestly more surprised that you're surprised. 

4 minutes ago, rockocalypse said:

Reveal hidden contents

garbage.PNG.df90f6a1c62f907100acb644f57b5883.PNG

Yes, it's real.

Also, being able to initiate an attack at range is far more powerful than being able to counterattack at range.

Just now, Ice Dragon said:

Yes, it's real.

Also, being able to initiate an attack at range is far more powerful than being able to counterattack at range.

T-that may be part of my reasoning for wanting to be able to range attack. If Camus is OP I feel hes someone who's entitled to such a thing.

1 minute ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

I'm honestly more surprised that you're surprised. 

Maybe less surprised than denial. Camus is a good friend of mine.

I honestly didnt remember Siegfried that well. Thought it was just on counter attack XD. I don't use any royals except Leo and Elise only for the first portion of the game.

5 minutes ago, eclipse said:

They did it to Xander.  What's the problem?

The problem is that Gradivus is, to me at least having grown up with Shadow Dragon and seen the weapon so much since, is much more classic than Siegfried. Also Camus is way cooler than Xander.

@rockocalypse Camus is cool, but he isn't cool enough (in most people's eyes. You may feel differently) to warrant changing the entire game's code just for him and his weapon alone. Not to mention it would be impossible to implement a way to give him a 1-2 ranged attack for the people who play by sliding instead of tapping. 

In addition to my previous Camilla question, Also this:

Titania [+Spd, -Res]
Emerald Axe+
Reposition
Moonbow?
Distant Counter
??? ???
Hone Cavalry

Intending to run this as a dedicated blue counter for the arena this week and next week. Distant Counter is... expensive, so I want to get this right and make sure it's a worthwhile investment (I suppose I could do a few runs without Distant Counter and see how she performs).

I'm intending to run her glued to Reinhardt for Hone Cavalry buffs to make up for her low base Atk. This set one-round kills every blue unit in the game except for the armors (and would kill vanilla Gwendolyn and Effie if it weren't for Escutcheon and Wary Fighter) both on player phase and enemy phase while taking less than 30% damage from any blue without Blarwolf+.

Her stats do lend themselves pretty well to pulling off a Wall of Ice set with Killer Axe+, Distant Counter, and Quick Riposte 3, though, as she still survives souped up Reinhardt and Olwen, just with much less health remaining.

The alternative to Titania would be Soren, who has wider coverage, but lacks the Spd to land enough one-round kills without a Weaponbreaker or Quick Riposte:

Soren [+Atk, -Res]
Gronnraven+
[whatever]
[whatever]
Triangle Adept 3
Lancebreaker 2/3 / Quick Riposte 2/3 (because I'm finally running out of feathers)
[whatever]

17 minutes ago, rockocalypse said:

T-that may be part of my reasoning for wanting to be able to range attack. If Camus is OP I feel hes someone who's entitled to such a thing.

If they allowed Gradivus to initiate attack at range, they'd compensate by decreasing Camus's base stats accordingly and decreasing Gradivus's Atk to 14. The fact that initiating attack at range is powerful in this game is the exact reason ranged attackers have lower base stats than melee attackers of the same movement type and ranged weapons have lower Atk than their corresponding melee weapons.

47 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

If they allowed Gradivus to initiate attack at range, they'd compensate by decreasing Camus's base stats accordingly and decreasing Gradivus's Atk to 14. The fact that initiating attack at range is powerful in this game is the exact reason ranged attackers have lower base stats than melee attackers of the same movement type and ranged weapons have lower Atk than their corresponding melee weapons.

That'd be totally fine. Thats (One of the reasons) why we have Deathblow/Vantage.

I know you have the most data collection here. But, I cant think of a legendary weapon with 14 might. Thought they all had 16.

Edited by rockocalypse