"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

Edit: Somehow double posted a post from an hour from now, weird....

1 hour ago, XRay said:

You can keep a few for Killer Axe. I think the only other characters with Killer Axe are Sheena and Hawkeye.

Can't think of any reason why I should keep them though since I have a lot more axes that are more powerful...unless it's good for S-Chrom?

Edited by Zangetsu

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Trinidaddi said:

Am I the only one would will lose there mind if they don't have joshua have his signature hat and his sacred twin Audhulma when they drop him in the game. P.S my favorite myrmidon in the series. 

Nah, the hat will be there, I can bet on it (pun intended).

When they do sacred stones summons and focus on them. I'm glad there doing valter for ghb. I'm predicting that all the gemstones from ss will be gbh. I CANT WAIT. Also for some summon focus they can have Knights of Renais. It will have my boy Seth , Franz , Kyle , Forde , and maybe Orson. The next one can be called Magvels Rulers it will have  Fado , Vigarde , Hayden , Mansel , Ismaire. The last will be called Greik's Mercenaries. This one will have Greik , Ewan , Tythes , Marisa. Any thoughts ? 

Could some one point me in the direction, of a guide to build a team. I have multi color team but when i play in story mode they all get destroyed but one. All but one are 3 stars. The other is a four star. They are all about 3 or 4 levels higher then the enemy. 

I dont know if i just need to get a better team or just learn to play the game better. Any help would be awesome. 

Edited by That_Tj

14 minutes ago, That_Tj said:

Could some one point me in the direction, of a guide to build a team. I have multi color team but when i play in story mode they all get destroyed but one. All but one are 3 stars. The other is a four star. They are all about 3 or 4 levels higher then the enemy. 

I dont know if i just need to get a better team or just learn to play the game better. Any help would be awesome. 

It all depends on the characters! The same team might work for a lot of situations but not all of them. If you're facing all reds, having a green on your team might not be super useful. Skill Inheritance can also be important, but it's not completely necessary. (Even if it does make your life easier.) There are a lot of YouTubers that beat super difficult chapters with 3 star characters and their base skills. Strategy is very important on some of the more difficult chapters. What characters are you using? Are those the only characters you have? It's always good to have a wide variety. 

I also have a question for the masses. I've been building my Summer Leo. I managed to +1 him as well. Right now his stats are 35/48/30/19/41. He's +RES -DEF and his kit right now includes Tomato Tome+, Reposition, Iceberg, Fury 3, and ATK Ploy 3. I'm trying to think of a good B skill for him. Swordbreaker probably wouldn't be awful, but I'm wondering if Brash Assault might be nice. A lot of builds I've seen recommend a seal skill, but I'm not sure how useful that would be.

4 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Why Brash Assault?

A friend made a passing comment about it, so I thought I'd entertain it at least. It'd be kind of dangerous because he wouldn't have a lot of HP to tank blasts from mages even with high RES and the ability to counter. 

I have anna, at two stars. Wrys, two stars. Alfonse and Oboro. Oboro is the highest with four stars. So its red, blue, green and healer. I have others but i have mainly have been using these. Is this enough variety? Every one except Wrys is level 23 and above. 

20 minutes ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

A friend made a passing comment about it, so I thought I'd entertain it at least. It'd be kind of dangerous because he wouldn't have a lot of HP to tank blasts from mages even with high RES and the ability to counter. 

Even with 38 Res, if your HP is low enough that Brash Assault is active, you have at most 57 magic bulk. Initiating combat against a red mage is most likely going to get you killed, which basically only leaves green mages that you can safely fight at Brash Assault range.

At that point, you may as well just use Quick Riposte, R Tomebreaker, or G Tomebreaker instead to get a similar effect without getting yourself killed.

7 minutes ago, That_Tj said:

I have anna, at two stars. Wrys, two stars. Alfonse and Oboro. Oboro is the highest with four stars. So its red, blue, green and healer. I have others but i have mainly have been using these. Is this enough variety? Every one except Wrys is level 23 and above. 

You're going to have a rough time as you progress through the story with that team. I suggest getting Alfonse and Anna up to 3 stars at minimum since it will unlock their Silver weapon, assuming you intend to continue using them.

In addition, you have no offensive units that can initiate combat or counterattack at range, which puts you at a disadvantage against units that can initiate combat at range. You should consider training up a decent ranged attacker, or at least a cavalry or flying unit.

Edited by Ice Dragon

12 minutes ago, That_Tj said:

Stats of 2 star characters are pretty weak, if you have feathers I would upgrade Alfonse and Anna when you can. Also your team is pretty slow except for Anna, who is fast but has fragile defense. Alfonse is really slow so enemies will double attack him a lot, so you have to make sure when he attacks, he defeats the enemy (same with Anna).

Oboro is more of a wall, but again is very slow and weak to mages. Great melee fighter against swords though

7 hours ago, Zangetsu said:

Edit: Somehow double posted a post from an hour from now, weird....

Can't think of any reason why I should keep them though since I have a lot more axes that are more powerful...unless it's good for S-Chrom?

Slaying/Killer weapons can be be used with Quick Riposte and Quickened Pulse on Enemy Phase units to trigger 4 cooldown Specials in its first round of combat. Sheena herself can use it to great effect with her high defense and Ignis. Currently, the only axes worthy of inheritance are Silver Axe, Melon Crusher, and Killer Axe on Enemy Phase units, so besides the former two that have the potential to be more powerful depending on the circumstance, I do not think any other axe is as powerful as Killer Axe.

5 hours ago, GuiltyLove said:

What is a good team to build around Nowi? I'm gonna promote her soon once I hit 20k feathers. So far she has TA, QR and Bonfire

I generally build teams around Player Phase glass cannons and then slip in other units to support them. I guess you can do the opposite way as well. Player Phase glass cannons that appreciate Nowi the most are green mages like Nino, NS!Elise, Cecilia, and Julia. So a team like Celica, Nino, Nowi, and a Dancer/Singer should cover most situations. I would personally replace Bonfire with Moonbow if you are going to use Nowi in the Arena, since I find getting more kills in the first round of combat more important for Enemy Phase units than having a higher kill count in subsequent combat, since they are usually there only to handle one enemy that glass cannons have trouble taking out.

3 hours ago, That_Tj said:

Sounds like you are a new player. Try to complete as much maps as you can in Story Maps mode. Once you have over 20 Orbs, go summon more Heroes. You should ideally have a team that are all at least 4* level 40. If you are going to summon from the current banners, I highly recommend summoning from the Nohrian Summer banner as Corrin is over powered, and Elise and Xander are pretty decent units. Leo is not very good, but he is sufficient for Story Maps.

Good units that can be obtained for free in the Special Maps mode are Hana, Cecilia, Donnel, and Olivia. Here are two links that will give you more information: Special Maps and Hero Battle Maps. These free units needs to be upgraded as they are given at 1* and 2*, but they should be good enough to form a basic team together to handle most story maps.

When you are ready to try out the Arena, the team composition I find the easiest to work with are using two Player Phase glass cannons and one Dancer/Singer. A bonus unit will be the fourth unit. Player Phase glass cannons are characters like Nino, Linde, and Tharja. All units on your team should ideally have Reposition/Swap/Draw Back as their Assist, besides the Dancer/Singer who should have Dance/Sing. One tactic I use is to attack the enemy with a glass cannon, then I use a Dancer/Singer to refresh them, and then I use the glass cannon to retreat and Reposition the Dancer/Singer behind them again.

3 hours ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

I also have a question for the masses. I've been building my Summer Leo. I managed to +1 him as well. Right now his stats are 35/48/30/19/41. He's +RES -DEF and his kit right now includes Tomato Tome+, Reposition, Iceberg, Fury 3, and ATK Ploy 3. I'm trying to think of a good B skill for him. Swordbreaker probably wouldn't be awful, but I'm wondering if Brash Assault might be nice. A lot of builds I've seen recommend a seal skill, but I'm not sure how useful that would be.

If you are using him as a Player Phase unit, go with Breakers. Brash Assault is terrible as it requires Leo to be at low health, and Leo must also survive the counter attack at low health before he can perform a follow up attack.

Please do not follow builds from the wiki or Gamepress if you want to make your units to be competitive in the Arena, as the vast majority of their builds are sub optimal at best and are usually downright terrible. The wiki puts a disclaimer on each of their character's build page to remind you their builds are more likely complete crap than not, as many of them are probably written by inexperienced players. Gamepress has no such disclaimer, so just be aware that their builds on their character's pages are rarely competitive. Builds in Gamepress's guides are a bit better. Blade and Raven builds are still the best builds for mages, so there is no reason to deviate from that.

Leo +Res -Def
Rauðrblade, Moonbow
Life and Death, Swordbreaker
Basic Eirika Buff
Player Phase 113:1:38
Player Phase (Fury) 105:2:45
Player Phase (Tomato Tome, Fury) 80:3:69
Player Phase (Tomato Tome, Fury, No Buff) 53:5:94

For comparison, this is Gamepress's "budget optimal" build, which is an oxymoron and simply awful:

Leo +Res -Def (I am using your nature since that is what you have)
Tomato Tome, Iceberg
Fury
Basic Eirika Buff
Player Phase 52:3:97
Player Phase (No Buff) 22:6:124

Our build with no buff is comparable to their build with buffs. A simple Breaker and a better Special is all it takes.

I would personally give Leo a Raven build [Raven, Moonbow, Triangle Adept, Quick Riposte] since that seems to suit his slow Speed better.

Edited by XRay

So +Att -Spd Nowi. She's 4 star right now, but that's besides the point.

What I'm wondering is, is she still viable with -Spd? 27 speed base isn't enough to double anything besides... armors and Brave users? It's only enough to avoid being doubled by anything with less than 31 speed, and while 24 is bad, it seems like Speed isn't important on Nowi, especially if you run Quick Riposte 3 on her, and ESPECIALLY if you need to have higher attack anyways. Besides, most all the important Red threats outspeed 27 speed by a longshot anyways, and any blues with less than 32 speed don't seem to be used.

In running both Nowis through KageroChart's calculator, on One vs All, +Res -Def Nowi is 22W - 9L - 121D, while +Att -Spd Nowi is 36W - 12L - 104D.

In All vs One, +Res -Def Nowi is 77W, 17L, 58D, while +att -Spd Nowi is 89W, 22L, 41D.

In both cases, the extra losses seem to come from Green units who couldn't outspeed +Res Nowi being able to outspeed +Att Nowi. The additional wins meanwhile appear to come from Reds and/or Blues that +Res Nowi only barely left with around 1-6 HP, resulting in Draw (D) battles, though TBH it's hard to tell specifically.

My current Nowi is +Res -Def if that helps. She also has Lightning Breath+, TA3, QR3, and Bonfire for damage addative skills, and normally has the Attack +1 seal. Also of note, if I do wind up going with +Att -Spd Nowi, my old Nowi will be merged into her, so the new Nowi will have +1 to HP and Attack.

Smaller question but which would be better, +Att -Res SumTiki or +Att -HP SumTiki? No sets in mind, just in general.

Edited by Xenomata

33 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

What I'm wondering is, is she still viable with -Spd? 27 speed base isn't enough to double anything besides... armors and Brave users? It's only enough to avoid being doubled by anything with less than 31 speed, and while 24 is bad, it seems like Speed isn't important on Nowi, especially if you run Quick Riposte 3 on her, and ESPECIALLY if you need to have higher attack anyways. Besides, most all the important Red threats outspeed 27 speed by a longshot anyways, and any blues with less than 32 speed don't seem to be used.

In running both Nowis through KageroChart's calculator, on One vs All, +Res -Def Nowi is 22W - 9L - 121D, while +Att -Spd Nowi is 36W - 12L - 104D.

In All vs One, +Res -Def Nowi is 77W, 17L, 58D, while +att -Spd Nowi is 89W, 22L, 41D.

In both cases, the extra losses seem to come from Green units who couldn't outspeed +Res Nowi being able to outspeed +Att Nowi. The additional wins meanwhile appear to come from Reds and/or Blues that +Res Nowi only barely left with around 1-6 HP, resulting in Draw (D) battles, though TBH it's hard to tell specifically.

My current Nowi is +Res -Def if that helps. She also has Lightning Breath+, TA3, QR3, and Bonfire for damage addative skills, and normally has the Attack +1 seal. Also of note, if I do wind up going with +Att -Spd Nowi, my old Nowi will be merged into her, so the new Nowi will have +1 to HP and Attack.

Smaller question but which would be better, +Att -Res SumTiki or +Att -HP SumTiki? No sets in mind, just in general.

-Spd is generally the worst bane for most units, but it impacts Enemy Phase units much less than Player Phase units since they have Quick Riposte to patch it. Nowi [-Spd] is still viable, just not stellar like -HP or -Res on Enemy Phase.

For most melee units using a Player Phase build, [+Atk/Spd, -Res] is generally the best. For armor units, they can run [-Spd, Wary Fighter].

1 hour ago, XRay said:

For comparison, this is Gamepress's "budget optimal" build, which is an oxymoron and simply awful:

To be fair, any character that comes with almost all of their optimal kit by default has a budget optimal build.

29 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

+Atk Nowi has 67 effective Atk against red with Triangle Adept, which simply one-hit kills every common red unit in the Arena except Eirika. Otherwise, she runs Swordbreaker, which against makes her lower Spd irrelevant.

Her Spd stat isn't particularly necessary unless there are specific units and builds she needs to beat (e.g. having enough Spd to double attack budget Life and Death Wary Fighter Zephiel with Quick Riposte or avoiding a double attack from Death Blow Brave Bow archers that she doesn't want to be trying to tank to begin with).

There's been very little discussion about Leon. . .but I'll assume that's because most people have another bonus unit.  Since I'm the oddball, I've decided to make do with him.

The one I have is +Atk/-HP, which gives him one less MT than Cordelia, without the speed to match.  I currently have him built a la Klein, but I really don't want Quick Riposte in his B slot.  Was thinking of Bowbreaker, so I could use him as bait.  Not too keen on the Tomebreakers, since he's OHKO'd by a competent mage (as in, get at least 50 magical Atk).  Is there a better B skill to run?

49 minutes ago, XRay said:

-Spd is generally the worst bane for most units, but it impacts Enemy Phase units much less than Player Phase units since they have Quick Riposte to patch it. Nowi [-Spd] is still viable, just not stellar like -HP or -Res on Enemy Phase.

For most melee units using a Player Phase build, [+Atk/Spd, -Res] is generally the best. For armor units, they can run [-Spd, Wary Fighter].

I do have a very slight issue with giving Enemy Phase Nowi -HP or -Res in that with -HP her overall tankiness is lowered and the threshhold for QR3 is tighter, and with -Res she takes more damage from Red Mages than usual, but on the other hand the extra damage is very slight, and I'd probably want to be keeping Nowi at high health anyways, so they're probably very inconsequential issues.

44 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Her Spd stat isn't particularly necessary unless there are specific units and builds she needs to beat (e.g. having enough Spd to double attack budget Life and Death Wary Fighter Zephiel with Quick Riposte or avoiding a double attack from Death Blow Brave Bow archers that she doesn't want to be trying to tank to begin with).

Those are oddly specific scenarios that I either don't think will ever appear in Tier 17+ teams or I don't think I'd even let Nowi near to begin with, or at least not on Enemy Phase.

34 minutes ago, eclipse said:

There's been very little discussion about Leon. . .but I'll assume that's because most people have another bonus unit.  Since I'm the oddball, I've decided to make do with him.

The one I have is +Atk/-HP, which gives him one less MT than Cordelia, without the speed to match.  I currently have him built a la Klein, but I really don't want Quick Riposte in his B slot.  Was thinking of Bowbreaker, so I could use him as bait.  Not too keen on the Tomebreakers, since he's OHKO'd by a competent mage (as in, get at least 50 magical Atk).  Is there a better B skill to run?

TBH I forgot he was added until I watched someone on youtube pull him.

If you have him built ala Klein, which I assume means Death Blow 3 and Brave Bow+, you could try throwing on Swordbreaker 3 to handle the three Distant Counter swords. Giving him Bonfire or Luna lets Leon kill Xander in 3 hits when it goes L > L > X > L, and that's from Bonfire/Luna being at 3 charge at the beginning of combat. Neutral full HP Ryoma is killed in only two hits, and neutral full HP Ike is largely the same story as Xander.

Yeah he takes some damage from Xander and Ike, but unless you are throwing a low-health Leon at them he can take the hits, and besides low health Leon wouldn't even trigger SB3 in the first place.

Axebreaker 3 would let him ORKO Hector, but he's really the only Axe unit you'd expect to have DC in the first place, where Frederick/Cherche will probably have very low speed in the first place and can't run DC on their common builds.

Lancebreaker 3 would let Leon ORKO Camus, but again, he's really the only Lancer who would have DC in the first place. Effie, potentially the other one, cancels out Lancebreaker 3 anyways.

Edited by Xenomata

1 minute ago, Xenomata said:

I do have a very slight issue with giving Enemy Phase Nowi -HP or -Res in that with -HP her overall tankiness is lowered and the threshhold for QR3 is tighter, and with -Res she takes more damage from Red Mages than usual, but on the other hand the extra damage is very slight, and I'd probably want to be keeping Nowi at high health anyways, so they're probably very inconsequential issues.

-Spd is generally worse than -HP or -Res as being doubled is worse in my opinion. -HP and -Res are not a big deal since bulk scales up much quicker than attack with higher merges, and few people are going to survive buffed Blade mages anyway.

31 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

TBH I forgot he was added until I watched someone on youtube pull him.

If you have him built ala Klein, which I assume means Death Blow 3 and Brave Bow+, you could try throwing on Swordbreaker 3 to handle the three Distant Counter swords. Giving him Bonfire or Luna lets Leon kill Xander in 3 hits when it goes L > L > X > L, and that's from Bonfire/Luna being at 3 charge at the beginning of combat. Neutral full HP Ryoma is killed in only two hits, and neutral full HP Ike is largely the same story as Xander.

Yeah he takes some damage from Xander and Ike, but unless you are throwing a low-health Leon at them he can take the hits, and besides low health Leon wouldn't even trigger SB3 in the first place.

Axebreaker 3 would let him ORKO Hector, but he's really the only Axe unit you'd expect to have DC in the first place, where Frederick/Cherche will probably have very low speed in the first place and can't run DC on their common builds.

Lancebreaker 3 would let Leon ORKO Camus, but again, he's really the only Lancer who would have DC in the first place. Effie, potentially the other one, cancels out Lancebreaker 3 anyways.

Hmmm.  Looks like my suspicions about Axe/Lancebreaker were about right (maybe throw Lukas in there somewhere).  For the Distant Swords, he already knocks out Ryoma, and won't eat a counter unless Ryoma sneaks in a hit first.  That leaves Xander/Ike, who I guess would warrant it.  Thanks, I'll consider booting an Abel for Swordbreaker, since I think he has problems with some of the higher HP swordies, too.

9 minutes ago, XRay said:

-Spd is generally worse than -HP or -Res as being doubled is worse in my opinion. -HP and -Res are not a big deal since bulk scales up much quicker than attack with higher merges, and few people are going to survive buffed Blade mages anyway.

I accept that as fact, though I do have to add, Nowi only has 27 Speed at neutral. It exists largely to let her avoid being doubled, but most enemy Reds, at least that are worth anything, outspeed her anyways, and I honestly believe it isn't worth letting a TA3 unit in combat against anything BUT what they are at advantage against (unless we are talking weakened Blues or VEEEEEERRY weak and low res greens), so in most of the battles she'd be in, she winds up taking low damage per hit anyways. Heck, even a +10 merge Horse emblem Leo with Rauorblade+, Death Blow 3, and a +Att nature did 22 damage in the one hit he was allowed (in KageroChart calculator).

Though it's just the opinion of a very average player. Thanks for the insight BTW.

1 minute ago, eclipse said:

Hmmm.  Looks like my suspicions about Axe/Lancebreaker were about right (maybe throw Lukas in there somewhere).  For the Distant Swords, he already knocks out Ryoma, and won't eat a counter unless Ryoma sneaks in a hit first.  That leaves Xander/Ike, who I guess would warrant it.  Thanks, I'll consider booting an Abel for Swordbreaker, since I think he has problems with some of the higher HP swordies, too.

To be fair, I did only say "who you would expect to have Distant Counter in the first place", so who knows, maybe there's a person out there with Distant Counter on the highest Attack units in the game possible, and none of them happen to be Sword users. It's probably not a very good team, but hey weirder things can happen, right?

I'd assume Ryoma CAN sneak a hit in if he is within Vantage 3 range, but then again so can Xander and Ike, and if they are in Vantage 3 range then they probably also have their skills ready, which usually spells death anyways.

11 minutes ago, That_Tj said:

Is it beneficial to have two of the same color on a team? I was thinking of doing a team with merric and beruka,  and was wondering if thats a good option. 

Two units of one color is perfectly fine, especially if you're not using a colorless unit. In your case it does make enemy teams with a lot of red units a little scary, but if you have a reliable blue unit and a strong red unit, you should be fine (since they'd need to be able to handle 3 to 4 red units with basicly the two of them).

22 minutes ago, KongDude said:

A good special for Mathilda Def+/Res-? Glowing Ember and Chilling wind are off the table. 41 Atk isn't good for a dragon special. Luna or moonbow seem the best but I want to know if there are better options.

Iceberg is out-damaging any other 3-charge special unless you're fighting opponents with 32 Def or more on a regular basis. Moonbow is fine if you find yourself missing one-round kills by single-digit values consistently.