"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

32 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Is +Atk,-Spd or -Def,+Res better for Julia?  Normally I try to stay away from -Spd, but she's so darned slow anyway that I think the extra Atk might be worth it.

Yeah, she is not going to double anything anyway, so +Atk is better.

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

So what Chain Challenges should I leave uncleared for grinding?

Definitely one or two of the 30 stamina Normal difficulty challenges. Those have enemies at level 35-40 with no SI and only at 4 star rarity. so they're far easier to defeat than anything this high level in the Training Tower. Surrender at the tenth map to retain the experience, SP, and Hero Merit from every map you cleared before, which is more than double that you could earn from the 20 stamina challenges.

As for which ones specifically to pick, you'll just have to check which seem to be the best to keep around. For example, I think Chapter 1-2 is great for blue units as the only greenie in Chapter 1 is Merric, and the only chapter 2 greenies are camilla and some retainers. Map 5 can be annoying though if you're raising non-flying 1 range units, somebody is going to have to tank both Merric and Gordin.

1 minute ago, Silent shifter said:

Is it possible for Reinhardt to have spd of 1 at lv1 for 5* version?

Yes. His neutral speed at lvl 1 5* is 6, and the speed penalty of his personal tome is 5, so that would give him 1 speed.

If you don't have Dire Thunder equiped, there's something wrong though...

On that topic, I've seen the video where they show the next tempest screen of bonus units, but I was kinda sleepy and didn't got what units were.
Who are the bonus heroes this time? Alm/Celica's Army?

3 minutes ago, Rinco said:

On that topic, I've seen the video where they show the next tempest screen of bonus units, but I was kinda sleepy and didn't got what units were.
Who are the bonus heroes this time? Alm/Celica's Army?

Celica, Sonya, Delthea, Gray for 40%, Berkut, Clive, Alm and Genny for 20%.

1 minute ago, Rinco said:

I'll have to go with Berkut, then. 
Luckly, just got him to 40.

Yeah, it's Berkut or 5* pull, because good luck counting on Clive (that's not even a 'Clive sux' joke, that's an opportunity cost).

At least banners with these characters will be available at the time, but that's also opportunity cost. At least the pulled ones will be 5* (compare Clive, who is 4*).

Spent all my orbs on the second summer banner (and got nothing =[ ), probably not summoning for a while on other banners, since my rate on the Nohrian Summer is 4,75%. And then I'll start saving orbs for CYL.

So, Berkut it is.
Good thing is that, on last TT, the method that worked best for me was thowing Horse Emblem + bonus unit and Berkut will at least get to use those horse buffs.

Edited by Rinco

Just now, Rinco said:

Spent all my orbs on the second summer banner (and got nothing =[ ), probably not summoning for a while on other banners, since my rate on the Nohrian Summer is 4,75%. And then I'll start saving orbs for CYL

Hero Fest only has Genny and the Tempest banner starts with Tempest, so honestly, Berkut is probably your best option if you want to ram into high scores.

Considering the QoL changes, I don't see the Tempest just for rewards to be that difficult. Unless there's a third seal on offer beyond 5* Clive.

9 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

Hero Fest only has Genny and the Tempest banner starts with Tempest, so honestly, Berkut is probably your best option if you want to ram into high scores.

Considering the QoL changes, I don't see the Tempest just for rewards to be that difficult. Unless there's a third seal on offer beyond 5* Clive.

Berkut will work fine.

Last TT the only bonus I had was Shareena and I managed to get on top 5k scores (could have stayed on top1k. went to sleep with 3 hours remaining and I was on rank 560ish, woke up on 1100ish.)

Just now, Rinco said:

Berkut will work fine.

Last TT the only bonus I had was Shareena and I managed to get on top 5k scores (could have stayed on top1k. went to sleep with 3 hours remaining and I was on rank 560ish, woke up on 1100ish.)

Then you're definitely ret-2-go. I've heard of worse stories concerning people trying to get that 1K.

Almost makes me want to make a dedicated effort with my Delthea and Sonya.

I was lucky for it to be happening on 2 weeks that I was mostly off from school and work, so I could play maximizing my stamina usage and I even threw 2~3 potions everyday.

Got to max a lot of units in HM. Now I'll even get to do it again with that bump to 3k max HM. Really need those feathers.
Speaking of which, what skills can I pass on to Anna? She will be my next promotion to 5* (or Nino, if I manage to get Desperation fodder before the 20k feathers, but her build I already have in mind).

2 hours ago, phineas81707 said:

So, can someone refresh my memory on what the stat boost for bonus heroes is in the next Tempest?

+10 HP, +4 all other stats, double EXP and SP.

Edited by Vaximillian

what do you guys think? spring chrom or summer xander who is better or stronger?

I pulled a plus speed minus def sum xander, I feel kinda happy about it because I don't have and decent 5* axe units and his defense high enough, with a fury 3 his speed, defense and attack will be well above average 

5 minutes ago, Raybrand said:

what do you guys think? spring chrom or summer xander who is better or stronger?

I pulled a plus speed minus def sum xander, I feel kinda happy about it because I don't have and decent 5* axe units and his defense high enough, with a fury 3 his speed, defense and attack will be well above average 

1. Spring Chrom has better raw offensive bases, with 35 / 32 compared to Summer Xander's 32 / 30. However, Xander drops some Spd and Res for a +8 Def lead, and he has Infantry Pulse which is a fantastic C passive that his teammates can benefit from, especially when used in tandem with the Quick Pulse sacred seal and a Killer or Slaying weapon. If nothing else, Summer Xander is highly valuable SI fodder.

2. I don't know how long you've been playing, but did you obtain Legion while his Grand Hero Battle was running? He has even better offenses than both at 36 / 35, as well as a large HP pool to cover for his mediocre defenses.

That said, +Spd -Def is a great spread for Summer Xander, especially if you have Fury to patch up his Def. His default kit is great but you will want either a Killer Axe+, Quick Pulse, or another ally with Infantry Pulse who also has more HP than Xander to make good use of Bonfire, because Infantry Pulse doesn't affect the unit who actually has the skill equipped. Quick Pulse is the easiest solution but a Killer Axe+ might be a worthwhile investment if you couldn't pick it up during the first Tempest.

Hope this helps.

43 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

1. Spring Chrom has better raw offensive bases, with 35 / 32 compared to Summer Xander's 32 / 30. However, Xander drops some Spd and Res for a +8 Def lead, and he has Infantry Pulse which is a fantastic C passive that his teammates can benefit from, especially when used in tandem with the Quick Pulse sacred seal and a Killer or Slaying weapon. If nothing else, Summer Xander is highly valuable SI fodder.

2. I don't know how long you've been playing, but did you obtain Legion while his Grand Hero Battle was running? He has even better offenses than both at 36 / 35, as well as a large HP pool to cover for his mediocre defenses.

That said, +Spd -Def is a great spread for Summer Xander, especially if you have Fury to patch up his Def. His default kit is great but you will want either a Killer Axe+, Quick Pulse, or another ally with Infantry Pulse who also has more HP than Xander to make good use of Bonfire, because Infantry Pulse doesn't affect the unit who actually has the skill equipped. Quick Pulse is the easiest solution but a Killer Axe+ might be a worthwhile investment if you couldn't pick it up during the first Tempest.

Hope this helps.

I think Legion is a bit too much of a glass cannon, I think hes good only because he comes with fury but don't want to invest the 5* promotion on him. reason I'm curious is because I've got a 4* Barst with +Atk&-Res, and I've got a killer axe+ lying around to give, but with my xander am do I need 5* Barst or or is 5* Barst better. Barst only has a few points in atk and spd less than Legion but Barst was way more defense (excluding the fury)

2 minutes ago, Raybrand said:

I think Legion is a bit too much of a glass cannon, I think hes good only because he comes with fury but don't want to invest the 5* promotion on him. reason I'm curious is because I've got a 4* Barst with +Atk&-Res, and I've got a killer axe+ lying around to give, but with my xander am do I need 5* Barst or or is 5* Barst better. Barst only has a few points in atk and spd less than Legion but Barst was way more defense (excluding the fury)

Player Phase glass cannons are not supposed to be initiated on by the enemy at all. You Assist them out of enemy range once they are done killing something. Leaving a glass cannon that is less cannon and less glass in enemy range will still get it killed, so you might as well go all the way with the strongest and most fragile glass cannon.

1 minute ago, XRay said:

Player Phase glass cannons are not supposed to be initiated on by the enemy at all. You Assist them out of enemy range once they are done killing something. Leaving a glass cannon that is less cannon and less glass in enemy range will still get it killed, so you might as well go all the way with the strongest and most fragile glass cannon.

At the start of the game I think this is very true but with the introduction of chain battles, defense missions and with some of the infernal maps I need units with some bulk, its why I prefer fury over life & death so units don't get one shoted, my Linde is one of my most valued units but anything can killer her sev a red tome/dragon unit

6 minutes ago, Raybrand said:

At the start of the game I think this is very true but with the introduction of chain battles, defense missions and with some of the infernal maps I need units with some bulk, its why I prefer fury over life & death so units don't get one shoted

Most answers you'll find in this thread assume an Arena context, but even then the advice is applicable to just about any mode except maybe Chain Challenge and Tempest Trials. Glass Cannons remain effective in all contexts, though in longer and more drawn-out modes they need to be used more intelligently.

In Chain Challenge, you can make use of damage mititgation through healing, Triangle Adept, or just ORKO'ing everything before it can counterattack.

Infernal GHBs tend to only need one unit bulky enough to draw enemy aggro, while the rest can be glass cannons that KO everything as it comes in, especially when you can Dance and Reposition out of enemy range if you need another turn or two like @XRay mentioned.

I find it strange how you cite using Fury over Life and Death, even though Fury actively works against you if you don't have Desperation in the same set, or even if you just aren't using it with a ranged unit. Life and Death achieves more KO's and thus is better at keeping its user safe by limiting the number of enemy units that survive long enough to counter.

While seasonal Xander and Chrom seem to be more bulky overall by having comparable HP alongside a Def / Res lead respectively, in practice Legion is actually the "bulkiest" of the three in situations where he doesn't outright get OHKO'd. His Spd lead limits the number of doubles he suffers even if he takes technically takes more damage from physical hits compared to Xander; in that same situation Xander could very well have been doubled and KO'd. In other words, a hit strong enough to KO Legion would most likely have done away with the other two about the same.

The best defense is a good offense. Always has been, always will be. No matter how slight Legion's lead may be over his competitors, it is a lead nonetheless.

1 minute ago, Raybrand said:

At the start of the game I think this is very true but with the introduction of chain battles, defense missions and with some of the infernal maps I need units with some bulk, its why I prefer fury over life & death so units don't get one shoted, my Linde is one of my most valued units but anything can killer her sev a red tome/dragon unit

I find Player Phase glass cannons to be far more useful than Enemy Phase units even in multi-map modes. Glass cannons can wipe out entire maps in 2 or 3 turns for normal maps, and reinforcements on defense maps can be sniped one by one as they stream towards you. Spamming glass cannons and Dancers/Singer also sped up my Tempest Trial runs significantly, and building Falchion healers as Player Phase glass cannons is far better than building them as Enemy Phase units since they usually take much less damage when they initiate combat.

For Infernal mode, it depends on the map and what units you have at hand. I mostly just use Blade ponies and Reinhardt or follow the free unit strategies on YouTube. I did spam Hectors and Zephiel along with B!Cordelia on Berkut's map, but that is the only map so far where I relied on mostly Enemy Phase units rather than Player Phase units.

Being killed in one shot does not matter if the unit can be "immortal" by always being out of enemy's reach. Killing an enemy on Player Phase reduces the chances of your units dying since that enemy can no longer attack. Giving Linde Fury also does not stop her from dying easily.

19 minutes ago, XRay said:

I find Player Phase glass cannons to be far more useful than Enemy Phase units even in multi-map modes. Glass cannons can wipe out entire maps in 2 or 3 turns for normal maps, and reinforcements on defense maps can be sniped one by one as they stream towards you. Spamming glass cannons and Dancers/Singer also sped up my Tempest Trial runs significantly, and building Falchion healers as Player Phase glass cannons is far better than building them as Enemy Phase units since they usually take much less damage when they initiate combat.

For Infernal mode, it depends on the map and what units you have at hand. I mostly just use Blade ponies and Reinhardt or follow the free unit strategies on YouTube. I did spam Hectors and Zephiel along with B!Cordelia on Berkut's map, but that is the only map so far where I relied on mostly Enemy Phase units rather than Player Phase units.

Being killed in one shot does not matter if the unit can be "immortal" by always being out of enemy's reach. Killing an enemy on Player Phase reduces the chances of your units dying since that enemy can no longer attack. Giving Linde Fury also does not stop her from dying easily.

I think fury stops you from being otk'd, like my ike with fury 3 has 35 def so he can tank lance units and hit back hard due to his high atk, having a staff user on your team for chain battles mitigates the the long term affect of self damage, life and death is better on ranged units as you can control who initiates on them better but I gave fury 3 to linde because of desperation

38 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

Most answers you'll find in this thread assume an Arena context, but even then the advice is applicable to just about any mode except maybe Chain Challenge and Tempest Trials. Glass Cannons remain effective in all contexts, though in longer and more drawn-out modes they need to be used more intelligently.

In Chain Challenge, you can make use of damage mititgation through healing, Triangle Adept, or just ORKO'ing everything before it can counterattack.

Infernal GHBs tend to only need one unit bulky enough to draw enemy aggro, while the rest can be glass cannons that KO everything as it comes in, especially when you can Dance and Reposition out of enemy range if you need another turn or two like @XRay mentioned.

I find it strange how you cite using Fury over Life and Death, even though Fury actively works against you if you don't have Desperation in the same set, or even if you just aren't using it with a ranged unit. Life and Death achieves more KO's and thus is better at keeping its user safe by limiting the number of enemy units that survive long enough to counter.

While seasonal Xander and Chrom seem to be more bulky overall by having comparable HP alongside a Def / Res lead respectively, in practice Legion is actually the "bulkiest" of the three in situations where he doesn't outright get OHKO'd. His Spd lead limits the number of doubles he suffers even if he takes technically takes more damage from physical hits compared to Xander; in that same situation Xander could very well have been doubled and KO'd. In other words, a hit strong enough to KO Legion would most likely have done away with the other two about the same.

The best defense is a good offense. Always has been, always will be. No matter how slight Legion's lead may be over his competitors, it is a lead nonetheless.

I think its funny how you bring up the term 'immortal' I gained an appreciation for def stat because my +def hector has been a god send, it has made me realise the importance of having a tank unit.

but u guys think legion is a worth while unit when compared to alternate chrom, xander & my custom barst? I thought the atk and spd is close enough to justify them cuz of the big difference in def and I thought def is useful for getting your units to tank/bait the opponent's units, but u guys are saying thats only worthwhile if your unit has ridiculous defense and theres not much difference between ok and very good def?

2 minutes ago, Raybrand said:

but u guys think legion is a worth while unit when compared to alternate chrom, xander & my custom barst? I thought the atk and spd is close enough to justify them cuz of the big difference in def and I thought def is useful for getting your units to tank/bait the opponent's units, but u guys are saying thats only worthwhile if your unit has ridiculous defense and theres not much difference between ok and very good def?

Min-maxed Atk and Spd beat out middling stats all around when it comes to raw matchup results. If a unit needs to be defensive, they should be taking 0 or near 0 when properly built while also being able to counterkill consistently with a proc. If a unit is supposed to function as a glass cannon, they should have as high Atk and Spd as possible, even if ti comes at the expense of other stats.

35 Def is actually fairly low with how offensive the arena meta is now, especially when my Xander hits 46 Def after Fury and horse buffs, or even 58 when on a fort tile. Because I have a unit dedicated to sitting at the front and taking the brunt of the damage from greens and even most reds, that leaves the rest of my team free to position around him and sweep within 1-2 turns.

Of course, it all comes down to your preference in the end. If you want the best possible infantry axe setup then you should look no further than Legion and his Brave Axe set. If you want to run Summer Xander or even Barst out of favoritism regardless, that's fine too. It's your choice in the end no matter what me or anyone else tells you.