"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

On 11/9/2018 at 1:47 PM, Landmaster said:

Any  budget A and B skill suggestions for Halloween Henry? 

I've been using this guy recently with Fury and Renewal, he is insanely good. He is a unit who uses all of his stats, which combos really well with Fury, especially combined with Gronnowl which also boosts all of his stats when he's next to someone. Renewal offsets Fury damage and helps him maintain his excellent tankiness. He kills everything and never dies. Recommend pairing him with a blue tanky person for best results.

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking about building M!Kana and I haven't decided between his Water Breath and Lightning Breath. I don't have DC fodder to give him yet, but I still think his Water Breath is more in line with what he does best. Am I right or should I give him Lightning Breath to be able to counter ranged units? 

2 hours ago, Rinco said:

I'm thinking about building M!Kana and I haven't decided between his Water Breath and Lightning Breath. I don't have DC fodder to give him yet, but I still think his Water Breath is more in line with what he does best. Am I right or should I give him Lightning Breath to be able to counter ranged units? 

It depends on what you need him to do. If you do not need him to counter ranged units, then do not give him Lightning Breath. If you do need him to counter ranged units, however, then give him Lightning Breath.

I personally prefer giving all my dragons Distant Counter via their Weapon or A slot since they always target the lower of Def or Res against ranged units, but if you do not need them to deal with ranged units, then there is no point in giving them Lightning Breath as any other Breath is vastly superior in melee range since they have higher Mt and no cool down penalty.

Edited by XRay

8 hours ago, dethneer said:

I've been using this guy recently with Fury and Renewal, he is insanely good. He is a unit who uses all of his stats, which combos really well with Fury, especially combined with Gronnowl which also boosts all of his stats when he's next to someone. Renewal offsets Fury damage and helps him maintain his excellent tankiness. He kills everything and never dies. Recommend pairing him with a blue tanky person for best results.

Renewal sounds pretty nice, I think I'll try that out! Thanks for the tip~

So... I've been out of the loop for a while with Heroes. I have been playing it regularly, but I only did the bare minimum to keep up with the game and finish important quests. I have a bunch of non-limited challenges left, and I skipped or missed some of the more difficult things. I've been relying on Blade Tome Spring Camilla, Reinhardt, and Brave Lyn for the longest time, and I have a bunch of 5* characters I've never built properly.

But the introduction of Aether Raids has me wanting to get back into the game, so I'm wondering: how should I catch up on things? Are there any good builds I might be able to use without sacrificing 5* exclusive characters for skills, or any rarer builds I should watch out for? Are there any good general FEH guides out there?

35 minutes ago, Phoenix_Kensai said:

So... I've been out of the loop for a while with Heroes. I have been playing it regularly, but I only did the bare minimum to keep up with the game and finish important quests. I have a bunch of non-limited challenges left, and I skipped or missed some of the more difficult things. I've been relying on Blade Tome Spring Camilla, Reinhardt, and Brave Lyn for the longest time, and I have a bunch of 5* characters I've never built properly.

But the introduction of Aether Raids has me wanting to get back into the game, so I'm wondering: how should I catch up on things? Are there any good builds I might be able to use without sacrificing 5* exclusive characters for skills, or any rarer builds I should watch out for? Are there any good general FEH guides out there?

Most good builds require some sacrifices though, and "good" is relative to the mode. Blade mages and Brave archers are still cheap and effective and are perfect for most modes, but they are less viable overall in higher tier PVP modes, as well as less desirable in Arena.

As a Player Phase player myself, the best Player Phase nukes for PVP modes are Firesweep archers, especially if they are flying. They are perfect for PVP modes since there are no reinforcements (except for Grand Conquest), enemies do not have insane bulk, and it completely ignores enemy counter attacks. Firesweep healers are also okay, but they cannot utilize Dance/Sing-Reposition. For PVE though, Firesweep archers are not as great since they cannot kill things as quickly due to higher enemy stats, and the frequent reinforcements further compound that problem; Firesweep healers are still decent in PVE though as they are still great for supporting the team with healing and buffs. Firesweep archers/healers are a little expensive though since Firesweep Bow is exclusive to Faye, and Dazzling Staff and Wrathful Staff are all still locked to 5* healers.

Arena is the sole exception among PVP modes. In Arena, you actually want your core team to be kind of crap in terms of performance, so you can feed kills to your bonus unit more easily. You still want your bonus unit to perform well, but you can afford to neglect your core team and it is generally better if you have your core team run SP builds rather than performance builds.

For PVE modes, you do not have worry too much about builds since you can simply go on YouTube and copy strategy videos.

9 minutes ago, Phoenix_Kensai said:

I wouldn't bother with expensive builds if you're just getting back into things. My main team of Cordelia, Rein, Horse Lyn, & Flying Azura doesn't use a single 5* only skill (other than Hone Fliers, of course, which Azura has naturally), and it's still good enough to complete pretty much all content.

Although rather than Horse Lyn I'd suggest CYL Veronica if you don't care either way---Veronica sacrifices a bit of utility in mobility assists, but Dazzle is good for making sure there's no one unit that can force you to lose a unit just to kill it while Wrath lets her combat stay 'alright' despite being a healer. Veronica's a bit worse in Aether Raids since turn-count matters, meaning Horse Lyn is still better there, but everywhere else Veronica's stronger. I only run Horse Lyn all the time because I'm used to using her.

Cordelia (Blue Flier) is +Atk/-Res, which is the perfect nature, +Atk is ideal, but +Spd/-Res is acceptable if you don't ever want to use her Brave Lance set, since you can just refine +Atk, meaning you only lose 1 pt of attack. That said, her Brave Lance set is so good that you really should just wait for a +Atk, considering she's 3* now.

Skills: Slaying Lance (Spd Refine), Reposition, Galeforce, L&D, Desperation, Savage Blow, Heavy Blade. Slaying Lance is for EP combats during PvP, for PvE Brave Lance is usually better for more sustain & better offenses.

Reinhardt just has the cookie cutter +Atk/-Hp (-Res is ideal, but I don't have one), Dire Thunder, Reposition, Moonbow, DB3, Lancebreaker, Hone Cavalry, Quickened Pulse set.

If you drop repo you might as well not use Reinhardt, though---reposition is a big part of why I favor horses and fliers so much, having utility even if the enemy team completely walls you is pretty important.

Horse Lyn (pretty sure she's neutral---she's +1, but IRRC I kept the free neutral one as base) is Brave Bow, Reposition, Draconic Aura, L&D, Sacae's, Hone Cavalry. Her S-slot can be whatever---to the point where you can run +3 hp if you want, but the Atk/Def bond we're getting from the next tempest trials is probably best in slot for a while. I'm pretty sure Luna is BiS rather than Draconic Aura, but Horse Lyn starts with Draconic Aura so you might as well keep it.

Similar to Reinhardt, if you drop Repo you might as well use someone else.

Flying Azura is Hone Fliers and Dance and Wings of Mercy (and occasionally earth dance + Fort Res S-seal). You'll want to make sure she has good enough combat to kill the occasional green armor Cordelia has problems against, but honestly she can be level 1 and still be a 8/10 unit.

Generally speaking I prioritize units that function well outside of combat (dancers/units with good mobility for reposition, and ideally either Flier or Horse for Type Buff access), units with high reach (that is, 2 range and/or 3 move), reasonably reliable combat (if you can ORKO 60% of the cast your combat's reasonably reliable, and your team should easily pick up the 40% you miss), and turn-gen utility in Galeforce.

Because Cordelia is my most invested Galeforce user and Flying Azura is the best semi-budget dancer (Ninian should be better, fully invested, but Ninian doesn't start with Hone Fliers), I usually start with those two as my core and then slap in the bonus unit + 1 unit that pairs well with the bonus unit. This season, for example, I have Flying Azura, Cordelia, Aversa, Flying Nino for Arena, and the Aether Raids team is almost the same---Nino is swapped for Horse Lyn, since 5 reach to hit pots is pretty important.

Regarding general FEH guides... honestly, I'd say you're better off just playing the game. Use the Aether Raids replay option to look at teams that managed to beat your defense team deathless---you don't have watch the replay, just look at the units & skillsets. Ideally you'll build defense teams that you've lost to, so you can figure out what kinds of units beats the teams you've lost to.

I say this because I have a pretty low opinion of the resources we have right now, like the feh wiki. But if you look at just the teams that beat teams you had problems with, you should see the units and skill sets that are actually good rather than the units that people think are good.

4 hours ago, Phoenix_Kensai said:

If you want to get used to Heroes again, just finish off the quests or chapters you've left idle. Then you can decide whether to stick with them or invest in new skills or units.

For build ideas, you could look at the wiki, or replays like DehNutCase suggested. What I do when I'm building a new unit is: first I work out what their role will be. (nuking, tanking, support etc.) Then I go into Inherit Skill and go through each skill category, and look for skills that will help them fulfill that role better. After all, you can't build anything if you don't have the materials.

Edited by Baldrick

Two questions:

Which refine is best for Anna's weapon? I'll start investing on her for Arena and don't want to waste Dew. 

On kinda the same topic, what builds I can give the Askr trio for Arena? 

I'm going for something like this for the moment:

Alfie: Special Refine/Dual Rally/Bonfire(Aether in the future)/Brazen Atk-Def/? /Drive Something/ Seal: Brazen Atk-Res or Heavy Blade

Sharena: Special Refine/Dual Rally/Moonbow(Aether in the future)/Bond something/Wings of Mercy/Drive/ Seal: Atk-Def Bond or Flashing Blade

Anna: ? Refine/Dual Rally/Moonbow(Aether in the future)/? /? /Drive something/ Seal: Same as Sharena, maybe. 

Am I on the right track? What advices would you give me? I want to invest on them to have fully built bonus units for arena on every season without the need of luck in the banners. Fjorm already has a good kit for scoring and she's good enough for now. 

@Rinco Anna is a bit of a tough one. She is the only one of the three I would be tempted to change her weapon. Slaying axe and Wo Gun both give her more killing potential. And with her low attack she needs all the help she can get. Of the three I think she would have the hardest time running Aether as her special. She would be best set with Blue Flame for scoring reasons, as hard as that would be to get for her. Particularly if you keep her weapon. It will let her jump right beside an ally which is Blue Flame's trigger. Of course that is a rather big sacrifice for her. If using this type of strategy Bond Skills would be rather solid for her since she will be satisfying their requirements.

For Alfonse going with his special refine can be a bit of a double edged sword. He will destroy greens. But it means you give up on any bonus kills from blue units. And even some reds can challenge him. Personally I prefer the DEF refine. However, if you aren't aiming for every kill to be a bonus kill the special refine makes those kills he can get sure fire and easy to score. And to be fair a good number of blues can challenge him even without his TA refinement, so making the sure kills easier might be worth it for you. He is slow as sin so a QR in his B slot or seal slot is basically a requirement. Given that he is rather bulky once the Brazens kick in he could potentially run Brash Assault in his seal slot to let him double on the offense after his QR is broken. I find that a tough build to run though. Getting low enough to activate brash while still having enough bulk left to eat a counter is tricky and rather situational. Probably better to toss heavy or even the ATK-DEF Bond seal his way(will help his first turn baiting skills a some).

Sharena is the only one I think the Special Refine is a given for. I am actually running Brazen ATK/DEF and the Brazen Seal on her right now. Basically first combat will be her baiting an enemy. She'll take some damage usually enough to trigger the Brazens and then get a +14 Attack which helps alot since she is slow(or rather isn't fast) and will rely on one hitting folks. As such I run QR in her B slot. Even with her bond active she isn't fast enough to double the faster threats, merely fast enough to hopefully resist getting doubled herself.

But I am not a big user of the Trio, particularly not of Anna. Most builds I think up with her are just way too expensive for me to justify. So she is stuck at 4* with minimal work.

@Usana wouldn't her weapon with a Spd or Def refine still be useful? I don't like the special refine that much, but Noatun's base effect is somewhat useful. I was thinking maybe having her use Brazen+Bond or double Brazen in her A+S slots, in a way that I could choose her first fight and the get a huge boost. With the rest of the team runing Drives to get her stats higher, she could get some kills. I only have 1 Owain, so it's kinda hard to sac him to give Anna his Blue Flame. Aether is something I have far more acces right now.

I also have only 100k feathers, of which I'm willing to spend at most 80k on her (gotta save 20k for the possibility of that GHB down the road being someone I wanna 5*). 

Sharena and Alfonse will take a little time to come back as bonus units, so they can wait.

I'm keeping tabs on this anna discussion. (sigh). 

Also a question. I want to make M!Kana into a lethal killing machine (yet budget ;) ) (I'm just assuming PvE and go for as much as a OHKO as i can). - i have..i think 4( maybe five) Kanas.
I am going to give him Pivot (low on reposition ) for mobility but would something else be better. for the support slot? suggestions would be fan-tab. 

@Rinco Yeah spd would work too, though a slaying are or would gun would probably net more kills. Double brazens can work, particularly with desperation. Though in that case you may want to sack a Linus for atk/spd brazen for the a slot. But yeah if using her at less than half health for her basic effect you pretty much need desperation, she won't soak a counter at that point very easily even with defense boosts.

Though part of this depends on your tier. I am in the tier where everyone is plus ten and very bulky and hits like a truck. So for me getting her damage up is very important. Slaying hammer is actually a solid pick up here.

Edit- heh. Just remembered that you are up here too. So I should have brought up the hammer earlier. Of course not everyone is an armor, but they are the hardest ones to punch out quite often.

Edited by Usana

3 hours ago, Rinco said:

Which refine is best for Anna's weapon? I'll start investing on her for Arena and don't want to waste Dew. 

3 hours ago, Rinco said:

On kinda the same topic, what builds I can give the Askr trio for Arena? 

Depends on priorities, play style, and build.

I do not prioritize scoring in builds too much, so I focus on having the unit be more sustainable in combat instead to score more bonus kills. I figure having an easier time getting an extra 12 points from bonus kills is good enough to offset scoring a little less per match.

Alfonse
Fólkvangr [Atk]
Reposition — Rally Def/Res
Luna (I will switch to Blue Flame whenever I get my hands on it.)
Brazen Atk/Def
Desperation
Atk Tactic
Brash Assault

Sharena
Fensalir [special]
Reposition — Rally Atk/Spd — Rally Def/Res
Moonbow (I will switch to Aether or Blue Flame.)
Distant Counter
Renewal
Attack Smoke
Quick Riposte

Anna
Nóatún (I will switch this to Slaying Axe or Wo Gún, most likely with Def Refine)
Reposition — Rally Def/Res
Aether
Fury (I will switch to Distant Counter eventually.)
Renewal
Drive Res
Quick Riposte

1 hour ago, daisy jane said:

I'm keeping tabs on this anna discussion. (sigh). 

Also a question. I want to make M!Kana into a lethal killing machine (yet budget ;) ) (I'm just assuming PvE and go for as much as a OHKO as i can). - i have..i think 4( maybe five) Kanas.
I am going to give him Pivot (low on reposition ) for mobility but would something else be better. for the support slot? suggestions would be fan-tab. 

I would not build stuff for PVE unless you are willing to spend a lot on the unit. If you just want to clear PVE content on a budget, you can view strategy guides utilizing free units on YouTube, and they often have little to no skill inheritance. If you want to clear stuff on your own, budget builds are not going to cut it for Abyssal difficulty in my opinion.

I recommend Swap for Enemy Phase units. Pivot is generally unnecessary in my opinion. I recommend Def or Res Refinement; I do not think you need Spd Refinement since most enemies are not that fast even on Abyssal, but I will recommend it just in case.

Water Breath [Spd/Def/Res]
Swap
Moonbow — Ignis — Glacies
Distant Counter — Breaths — Fury — Stances — Bonds
Quick Riposte — Renewal
Drives — Tactics — Ward Dragon
Close Def — Quick Riposte

Lightning Breath [Spd/Def/Res]
Swap
Bonfire — Iceberg — Moonbow
Breaths — Fury — Stances — Bonds
Quick Riposte — Renewal
Drives — Tactics — Ward Dragon
Close Def — Quick Riposte

I highly recommend Distant Counter either on the Weapon or A slot, but if you cannot afford that, you can go with cheaper skills, but melee units generally are not as useful without Distant Counter in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Jingle Bells said:

Is this a good build for Masked Marth?

Looks good. I recommend Moonbow for more frequent activation though. I would also switch out Ardent Sacrifice for a movement Assist like Reposition since you need to spend 2 turns to get her below 75% HP with Ardent Sacrifice, and that is too slow in my opinion; shoving her directly into combat should generally get her HP low enough in one round of combat, but if not, you may want to consider running Life and Death or Fury so she eats enough damage.

You may also want to consider Heavy Blade, Flashing Blade, or Brazen Atk/Res for her Sacred Seal slot if she does not need that much Spd.

Edited by XRay

I pulled a +Hp -Def male Corrin from the adrift banner and I am happy about it as I was lacking in blue units. Also dragons are my love(especially armored ones). However these natures worry me as to how he will go in many modes (Arena, Aether Raids etc). So I gave him a Fury but other than that I got no clue. Any ideas and builds with these natures?

Also I have -spd Veronica that I want to use as she is pretty neat and I had a Summer Tana from the Eirika banner that I had not used and foddered her off to Veronica for Atk/Spd push. Problem is that I am confused as to how the skill works and might have thrown my seasonal flying mage away for no reason. So any solid explanation as to the skill's function ? Mainly the damage part is the problem. Is that build functional for her? Her base kit but restore+ instead of recover+ and Atk Spd push 3 A slot. As for sacred seals I don't know, I thought of Double savage blow but that would take her good C skill and potential to run a stat booster.

1 hour ago, SuperNova125 said:

I pulled a +Hp -Def male Corrin from the adrift banner and I am happy about it as I was lacking in blue units. Also dragons are my love(especially armored ones). However these natures worry me as to how he will go in many modes (Arena, Aether Raids etc). So I gave him a Fury but other than that I got no clue. Any ideas and builds with these natures?

Null Follow-Up is an excellent skill, it neutralises many of the popular skills for Arena defence teams. Even without a Def bane, I would focus on boosting his attack and speed. Fury is a good budget skill for him.

For a enemy phase build, he would want Distant Counter, but you probably have better candidates for that skill. So I would go for a player/mixed phase build. Moonbow for the special, Atk/Spd Bond or Fury for the A skill.

1 hour ago, SuperNova125 said:

Also I have -spd Veronica that I want to use as she is pretty neat and I had a Summer Tana from the Eirika banner that I had not used and foddered her off to Veronica for Atk/Spd push. Problem is that I am confused as to how the skill works and might have thrown my seasonal flying mage away for no reason. So any solid explanation as to the skill's function ? Mainly the damage part is the problem. Is that build functional for her? Her base kit but restore+ instead of recover+ and Atk Spd push 3 A slot. As for sacred seals I don't know, I thought of Double savage blow but that would take her good C skill and potential to run a stat booster.

Give her the Live to Serve seal. She'd then heal the recoil damage by herself.

2 hours ago, SuperNova125 said:

Atk/Spd Push is typically run with Live to Serve in the Sacred Seal (or Passive B) slot. You get the +5 Atk and Spd when you attack, take 1 damage of recoil, then heal an ally on the next turn to regenerate the 1 damage with Live to Serve's effect.

2 hours ago, SuperNova125 said:

You can't really go too wrong with Fury on Corrin. If you plan on using him on player phase, it'll be a bit more reliable than his default Atk/Def Bond. For a pure enemy phase build, Atk/Def Bond (or any other Bond skill) would probably be superior.

Bonfire works fine with a Fury build if you keep his default weapon.

You can also run him with a Lightning Breath build with a Spd or Def refine.

Edited by Ice Dragon

Is there any use for Spd/Res Bond on 4* Young Azura as skill fodder, or should I just use her as merge fodder?

I've been trying to think who'd like it, but as far as i know Bond skills are generally more enemy phase than player(given the need to be so close to someone which is slightly harder to do on player phase), and imo the best Bond skills have an Atk boost while Bond skills with Spd on them are best given to EP thanks (Nephenee comes to mind for Spd/Def at least). I dunno, Spd/Res doesn't feel that great, but I'm also probably not being that creative...

Edited by Xenomata

1 hour ago, Ghostface233 said:

I picked up an Adrift!F! Corrin while hunting down Mikotos and was wondering what a good budget build for her would be.  She's neutral btb.

She is basically the same as A!M!Corrin, so I recommend just reading the above few comments. I recommend switching out her Draconic Aura for Bonfire and give her Quick Riposte, but her vanilla kit is decent overall for an Enemy Phase build. I highly recommend Distant Counter on the A slot if you can afford it though.

2 hours ago, Baldrick said:

Null Follow-Up is an excellent skill, it neutralises many of the popular skills for Arena defence teams. Even without a Def bane, I would focus on boosting his attack and speed. Fury is a good budget skill for him.

For a enemy phase build, he would want Distant Counter, but you probably have better candidates for that skill. So I would go for a player/mixed phase build. Moonbow for the special, Atk/Spd Bond or Fury for the A skill.

2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

You can't really go too wrong with Fury on Corrin. If you plan on using him on player phase, it'll be a bit more reliable than his default Atk/Def Bond. For a pure enemy phase build, Atk/Def Bond (or any other Bond skill) would probably be superior.

Bonfire works fine with a Fury build if you keep his default weapon.

You can also run him with a Lightning Breath build with a Spd or Def refine.

39 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

Is there any use for Spd/Res Bond on 4* Young Azura as skill fodder, or should I just use her as merge fodder?

I've been trying to think who'd like it, but as far as i know Bond skills are generally more enemy phase than player(given the need to be so close to someone which is slightly harder to do on player phase), and imo the best Bond skills have an Atk boost while Bond skills with Spd on them are best given to EP thanks (Nephenee comes to mind for Spd/Def at least). I dunno, Spd/Res doesn't feel that great, but I'm also probably not being that creative...

Any mage tanks that specializes in tanking nukes would like it, for example Niles and Felicia. You can also give it melee units with Distant Counter weapons like Fjorm. Fjorm gets a massive stat increase during her bonus rotation, so she can probably even tank and counter kill green magic nukes too.

8 hours ago, Rinco said:

Yep, armors and dragons. At least her Res is ok to deal with some dragons.

Hammer could be an option. How would you build her other slots with Slaying Hammer as weapon? Special refine on the hammer? @Usana

I am not sure how often I would use the special refine. I don't usually see them running hones/fortifies so the effect would be kind of wasted. I would imagine ATK or SPD would be better.  It looks like double bonds work best with the ATK Refine. ATK/SPD Bond in A and ATK/DEF Bond in Seal and Null Follow-up is probably one of her better B slot options so that she can actually bait the non-red armors safely. Actually the calculator says with Null Follow-up she can even bait non-brave sword reds like Zelgius and kill on the counter with Hammer's effective damage. And hey, both those skills are on the current banner :D. Still really expensive though. But she can actually be kinda scary to all armors and dragons with that. Also requires careful positioning thanks to relying on bonds. Also she doesn't fair quite as well on offense if hitting someone with steady or warding breath. Just doesn't have enough bulk. This is why Null-Followup is so important. It lets her bait out those guys combo-ing Steady/Warding and Bold Fighter.

Anyways against the hardlist that set up gets 120/49/53 on offense and 86/33/103 on defense. That is about the best I have seen without boosts on Anna. Boosted stats obvious push her numbers up even better. ATK Tactic and Hone Speed gets 166/36/20 and  108/33/81. But again Null-Followup and ATK/SPD bond are kinda pricey. Going to ATK/DEF from ATK/SPD costs her 20 wins in both categories more or less. So ATK/SPD in the A is definitely preferred. If you can reliably get her HP low Brazen ATK/SPD is easier to source and with her HP dipped she tends to prefer desperation. Double Brazen and Desperation gets 144/75/3 and 57/106/59 with the same atk and speed buff as the 166 and 108 results previously mentioned. So yeah bonds seem to work better for her. If you can't source Null, it only costs her a couple wins on offense. Null is mainly to let her bait. And even then it is not quite as impactful as ATK/SPD bond is. So you could probably save yourself on Null if you don't plain to lure armors out with her. ATK refine is best PP and SPD is best for EP IF you have Null Followup.