"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

I have a +Spd -Def valentine's Ike and I finally have the refining stones to refine his heart blade. What stat should I raise? I am thinking either Spd to make better use of special fighter or defence to "fix" his flaw. He can get enough Spd with his current build so I am leaning more towards Def, but more is Spd is always nice.

Also with this refine, I will also get 200 dew. And I saw that +Spd -Res OG!Ephraim I had and I hadn't built and I thought why not give him a new weapon. What should I run? Should I prefer refined Sigmund or flame Sigmund? I would rather run flame since high Hp thresholds are not my best. Also what are some good build options for both weapons?

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, SuperNova125 said:

I have a +Spd -Def valentine's Ike and I finally have the refining stones to refine his heart blade. What stat should I raise? I am thinking either Spd to make better use of special fighter or defence to "fix" his flaw. He can get enough Spd with his current build so I am leaning more towards Def, but more is Spd is always nice.

I personally lean towards Res since he got Distant Counter, but if he does not fight mages that much, Def is okay too.

18 minutes ago, SuperNova125 said:

Also with this refine, I will also get 200 dew. And I saw that +Spd -Res OG!Ephraim I had and I hadn't built and I thought why not give him a new weapon. What should I run? Should I prefer refined Sigmund or flame Sigmund? I would rather run flame since high Hp thresholds are not my best. Also what are some good build options for both weapons?

Units that rely on doubling and rely on Spd to double really just want more Spd. I'd personally just throw more Spd on Ike's weapon.

Vanilla Ephraim can run something like (Siegmund [unique], Moonbow, Sturdy Impact / Sturdy Blow 2, Renewal 3, Heavy Blade 3) to try to keep his HP up for vanilla Siegmund. For Flame Siegmund, you can run (Flame Siegmund, Moonbow, Death Blow 4 / Death Blow 3, Desperation 3, Heavy Blade 3). Noontime can be used instead of Moonbow in both builds if you want more sustain instead of damage.

29 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Units that rely on doubling and rely on Spd to double really just want more Spd. I'd personally just throw more Spd on Ike's weapon.

Vanilla Ephraim can run something like (Siegmund [unique], Moonbow, Sturdy Impact / Sturdy Blow 2, Renewal 3, Heavy Blade 3) to try to keep his HP up for vanilla Siegmund. For Flame Siegmund, you can run (Flame Siegmund, Moonbow, Death Blow 4 / Death Blow 3, Desperation 3, Heavy Blade 3). Noontime can be used instead of Moonbow in both builds if you want more sustain instead of damage.

I will go with flame as it is easier to activate compared to normal refined. Also does Aether work nice with heavy blade and a high attack unit like him? 

25 minutes ago, SuperNova125 said:

I will go with flame as it is easier to activate compared to normal refined. Also does Aether work nice with heavy blade and a high attack unit like him? 

Aether is always a sustain option and not a performance option unless you're running a Breath skill (or Special Fighter) and a Slaying weapon. Whether you run it depends entirely on how important sustain is to you.

Edited by Ice Dragon

11 minutes ago, Lemmy said:

Anyone know of any good guides for putting C skills on armors?

Ward Armor for Enemy Phase Distant Counter armor teams. Armor March and maybe Hone Armor or Goad Armor for dual phase or Player Phase armor teams.

I'm doing an analysis on representation of each game. Do you guys consider Zelgius to be a BK alt or a separate character? I think he should be considered an alt. 

Also, what Tellius characters are missing from CYL that should be added? 

Edited by Icelerate

Questions about refining weapons:

1: Is it a one-time deal and you can’t change your choice of forge later, or can I get all of them and freely choose between them if I have the materials?

2: What’s the best boost for Valentine Ike’s sword? I can choose between +2 atk, +3 spd, +4 def, and +4 res. 

1 minute ago, Alastor15243 said:

1: Is it a one-time deal and you can’t change your choice of forge later, or can I get all of them and freely choose between them if I have the materials?

2: What’s the best boost for Valentine Ike’s sword? I can choose between +2 atk, +3 spd, +4 def, and +4 res. 

1. You can get all of them. It just costs an amount of Divine Dew.

2. Do the Spd or Res Refine. If you want to do DC, Res. If you want to do something else, Spd. The Darting Stance seal can help with activating Specials with Special Fighter.

16 hours ago, Lemmy said:

Anyone know of any good guides for putting C skills on armors?

If you're running an Armor March team composition, half of the armors on your team (rounded up) should have Armor March.

Armors with exclusive C skills (Tiki, Surtr, Duma) are fine to keep their exclusive skills.

Other slots should typically be filled with either Ward Armor for enemy phase or Hone Armor for player phase.

15 hours ago, Icelerate said:

I'm doing an analysis on representation of each game. Do you guys consider Zelgius to be a BK alt or a separate character? I think he should be considered an alt. 

Also, what Tellius characters are missing from CYL that should be added? 

I refer you to this thread and its author: 

8 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Refined weapons count as brand new skills and don't modify the existing weapon skill. You can obtain all of the refines on a single weapon if you have the resources to do so and switch refines at will the same as you can switch any other skill (or use lower levels of other skills).

I personally lean towards the Spd refine, but Def or Res are also good depending on how you use him. Spd is better if you use him on both phases, whereas Def or Res are better if you're running him on enemy phase only with the Quick Riposte Sacred Seal.

Edited by Ice Dragon

17 hours ago, Icelerate said:

Do you guys consider Zelgius to be a BK alt or a separate character?

I think my views are fringe though, but I personally count them as separate. I go by how the game sorts the characters. If the game makes a distinction and separates them, then I consider them separate.

For example, they separate VL!Ike from Path of Radiance regular Ike, so I personally do not count VL!Ike as an alt of Path of Radiance Ike. I basically see Ike as how I see Tiki, Severa, Inigo, and Owain.

Thanks for the help earlier everyone. I have another question though: how important is it to have full weapon triangle control? I’m trying to assemble a full armor team with Garm Ephraim, Devoted Ike, and Winter Eirika (hopefully I can rig it so the team has equal attack to really exploit Eirika’s buffs), but I don’t have a lot of good options for a blue armor who synergizes with Ike very well (Ephraim and Eirika are one S support armor march pair, I intend to make Ike part of another). Do I really want that last one to be blue, or could I stand to team him up with some other color armor if I can find one?

960C3133-4092-44A1-81F9-25060DF1536A.png

474BAF20-7800-4685-BE75-A2ABD8DEDAE3.png

91C70336-66E0-4E49-AABE-2DFE17B37232.png

Edited by Alastor15243

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

I have another question though: how important is it to have full weapon triangle control?

Depends on the type of team and mode.

For Player Phase teams with a colorless archer (especially Firesweep archers) or healer, color composition does not matter too much. Player Phase teams without a colorless archer or healer should have command of the full color triangle though in my opinion.

I am not too sure about other types of teams, but I assume having the full triangle is very helpful. I think Enemy Phase teams are much easier to use if it has all three primary colors. For my armor team, I think having all three primary colors is crucial for me to have a decent chance at winning with some consistency since I am not that great of an armor player. I think I win less than half the time with my armor team for Arena Assault already, so if my armor team was just only red and colorless or something, I would probably have to spam surrenders even more.

For Arena Assault Teams 2-7, having all colors is not necessary at all since you want to pick counters to the enemy team.

For Arena and Aether Raids, having the all three colors certainly makes things a lot less frustrating for most teams. For Aether Raids, it is sort of possible to just have one color but it is not perfect; I had FV!F!Robin and Sharena carry the team during Light season when they were bonus units (with 2 M!Corrins and 2 Eirs as supports), but if the pillar carrying the team falls though, my chances of winning the battle are practically 0.

Edited by XRay

2 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Thanks for the help earlier everyone. I have another question though: how important is it to have full weapon triangle control? I’m trying to assemble a full armor team with Garm Ephraim, Devoted Ike, and Winter Eirika (hopefully I can rig it so the team has equal attack to really exploit Eirika’s buffs), but I don’t have a lot of good options for a blue armor who synergizes with Ike very well (Ephraim and Eirika are one S support armor march pair, I intend to make Ike part of another). Do I really want that last one to be blue, or could I stand to team him up with some other color armor if I can find one?

I'd consider how your team as it is fares against reds, and whether you need a fourth that has WTA against them. For that reason, I would recommend against picking another green armour.

If you pick a high-res fourth unit, and stack Ike's speed so he will double as many sword users as possible, your team should be fairly versatile even without a blue unit.

Edited by Baldrick

Thanks for the help for the last questions, I ended up going +Spd for Azama since I'm not planning to merge him and is mostly just for PvE purposes.

So I think I'm planning to upgrade some launch units that recently had weapon refines and also merge some dupe 5 stars. Asking for advice on what asset to go with-

1. Rhajat - +HP or +Def? Right now I mainly use her as anti-cav baiter with Distant Def and Vantage. Currently built one is +HP.

2. Eliwood - +Spd or +Atk? Usually Spd means two attacks but since he is kind of frail Def-wise maybe it's just better to one-shot if possible?

3. Oboro- +Def or +Res? Lukas beats her in pure Def alone, so I was wondering if I should just make use of her Res superboon for mixed tank capabilities? I was originally thinking of Berkut's Lance but with her new refine maybe she can at least deal with armored dragons easily?

4. Palla- +Atk or +Spd? I also have Elincia for pure player phase but she's -Spd, so I was thinking of having Palla as a backup red flier unit who can tank better but also have that Brave effect when near fliers. Originally I was gonna go +Spd but again, after her refine is it better to just focus on +Atk instead of doubling?

5. Myrrh - I have a perfect +Def/-Spd but is it worth fixing her Spd flaw at all? Her first merge doesn't add Def yet right (just in case I want to inherit Hone Dragons in the future)?

6. Summer Adult Tiki- I have a +Def/-Spd one, I guess she wants lower Spd for more special charge? So it's better not to get rid of the bane? (I could give Melon Crusher + Close Def to someone but not sure who...maybe Barst?)

7. Flying Nino- +Res or +Def? I want to maximise her survivability so not sure if the extra points in Def helps her have close calls with a stray physical hit, or if I should just bump up her Res? (Or wait for a +Spd/+Atk one and save one of these for fodder).

8. Saber- +Res or +HP? I've had the +Res one built and it's kind of fun using the Res boon for his DC refine, but is HP overall better for survivability for DC purposes? He is currently +Res/-HP so I've been using him with Dorcas for Infantry Pulse support for a Miracle build, but I guess going with +HP means he'll go over the Infantry Pulse threshold.

Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, mcsilas said:

3. Oboro- +Def or +Res? Lukas beats her in pure Def alone, so I was wondering if I should just make use of her Res superboon for mixed tank capabilities? I was originally thinking of Berkut's Lance but with her new refine maybe she can at least deal with armored dragons easily?

I'm actually trying to get +Res Oboro myself, while she's on a banner.

...even among the 3* and 4* Oboros, she is dangerously close to 5* +10 and still no +Res...

Anyways, with Close Def refine and Warding Breath, +Res Oboro with no additional stat-ups hits 38 Res and has sped-up cooldowns while retaining a good level of Def, which can't really match Lukas levels anyways. If not Warding Breath, Mirror Stance boosts Res and Atk instead, or another stack of Close Def for a little extra Res plus even more Def.

Let me mention, by the way, that while other lance units have far better Res or Def, Oboro is good on both if going the mixed route, which while this is only for melee enemies, not many others can boast such and still have armor effectiveness.

5. Myrrh - I have a perfect +Def/-Spd but is it worth fixing her Spd flaw at all? Her first merge doesn't add Def yet right (just in case I want to inherit Hone Dragons in the future)?

NOPE. The way you'd fix her Speed flaw is by beefing her Def so nobody can double her, and the order her stats go up from merges with +Def -Spd is HP/ATK > Spd/Res > HP/Def > Atk/Res > Spd/Def > loop.

...wow her base Def is horrid for someone so bulky...

Edited by Xenomata

@mcsilas I don't have all of these units so I can't answer them all but here is some of my opinion.

4. Palla would prefer +Atk with her new refine.

5. That perfect IV Myrrh is insanely good. I have her the same version too and you'll see mine in one of map clears.

7. It's depend on what enemy your Nino fight more often. +Res will always useful for mages battle while +Def is kind of pointless when she can't survive a single hit from arrows anyways.

8. I would prefer +res for mages counter and handle some dragons. You already have Silas for phys tank anyways.

Thanks for the help for the last questions, I ended up going +Spd for Azama since I'm not planning to merge him and is mostly just for PvE purposes.

So I think I'm planning to upgrade some launch units that recently had weapon refines and also merge some dupe 5 stars. Asking for advice on what asset to go with-

1. Rhajat - +HP or +Def? Right now I mainly use her as anti-cav baiter with Distant Def and Vantage. Currently built one is +HP. +HP. Defense means nothing if you are just going to let her use Distant Def and not CC.

2. Eliwood - +Spd or +Atk? Usually Spd means two attacks but since he is kind of frail Def-wise maybe it's just better to one-shot if possible? +Spd is best. Fury in the A-slot will help that defense.

3. Oboro- +Def or +Res? Lukas beats her in pure Def alone, so I was wondering if I should just make use of her Res superboon for mixed tank capabilities? I was originally thinking of Berkut's Lance but with her new refine maybe she can at least deal with armored dragons easily? Still do +Res. Kill those armored dragons.

4. Palla- +Atk or +Spd? I also have Elincia for pure player phase but she's -Spd, so I was thinking of having Palla as a backup red flier unit who can tank better but also have that Brave effect when near fliers. Originally I was gonna go +Spd but again, after her refine is it better to just focus on +Atk instead of doubling? +Atk, since the new refine allows her to double attack anyway.

5. Myrrh - I have a perfect +Def/-Spd but is it worth fixing her Spd flaw at all? Her first merge doesn't add Def yet right (just in case I want to inherit Hone Dragons in the future)? No.

6. Summer Adult Tiki- I have a +Def/-Spd one, I guess she wants lower Spd for more special charge? So it's better not to get rid of the bane? (I could give Melon Crusher + Close Def to someone but not sure who...maybe Barst?) It is better to get rid of her bane, in this case. Lowers double chances. Ideally, you would use Slaying Axe+ for a tanking build to mesh best with QR.

7. Flying Nino- +Res or +Def? I want to maximise her survivability so not sure if the extra points in Def helps her have close calls with a stray physical hit, or if I should just bump up her Res? (Or wait for a +Spd/+Atk one and save one of these for fodder). Right now, +Res. Her defense is low enough anyway.

8. Saber- +Res or +HP? I've had the +Res one built and it's kind of fun using the Res boon for his DC refine, but is HP overall better for survivability for DC purposes? He is currently +Res/-HP so I've been using him with Dorcas for Infantry Pulse support for a Miracle build, but I guess going with +HP means he'll go over the Infantry Pulse threshold. Stick with what you have.

Thanks in advance!

Responses are in bold.

On 2/9/2019 at 9:21 PM, Ice Dragon said:

They haven't not re-run a seasonal banner, so it's pretty much guaranteed to return. If the upcoming Voting Gauntlet is Valentine themed, it's likely to show up at that time. If not, then it'll just appear on its own a few days from now.

Speaking of this, I'd think it'd be a good idea if they squeezed old TT units on the new TTs alongside the usual new stuff. What harm could it do? Grails are rare enough as is. For Seasonal TTs, just include the prior year's Seasonal TT. For non-Seasonal ones, it doesn't need a rhyme or reason. Marisa on an Awakening TT is fine by me.

Just another little boon question. Regular Nino, +Spd or +Atk? I've a *5 +Spd -Atk freebie from the NPB now, and some +Atk -Spd 4* copies, if I promoted one of those 4*s, should it or the 5* be the base of the merge?

And one other little, perhaps not really necessary, question. Is Micaiah fairly good with Desperation? Old memories of Sacrifice-Wrath on her in RD came to mind.

14 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Speaking of this, I'd think it'd be a good idea if they squeezed old TT units on the new TTs alongside the usual new stuff. What harm could it do? Grails are rare enough as is. For Seasonal TTs, just include the prior year's Seasonal TT. For non-Seasonal ones, it doesn't need a rhyme or reason. Marisa on an Awakening TT is fine by me.

I think the addition of Grails pretty much killed any chance that they'll rerun Tempest Trials units ever again. Mind, this is just my objective prediction and not my subjective opinion.

7 hours ago, mcsilas said:

1. Rhajat - +HP or +Def? Right now I mainly use her as anti-cav baiter with Distant Def and Vantage. Currently built one is +HP.

+HP. She is not going to stand up to cavalry archers since they often run Brave Bow and Firesweep Bow, so I would not bother with +Def.

2. Eliwood - +Spd or +Atk? Usually Spd means two attacks but since he is kind of frail Def-wise maybe it's just better to one-shot if possible?

I see his frailness as getting into Desperation range easier. I think either option is fine, but I lean towards +Spd since he has slightly better performance once in Desperation range. If you want to go the +Atk route, having Death Blow 4 would be very helpful. With Chill Def active against the enemy, +Atk does do better, but it might not always hit the target you want it to hit. Lilina does one shot builds better in my opinion since she is ranged, targets Res, and can use Special Spiral.

Challenger List:

Spoiler

CHALLENGER LIST  
Eliwood (5*+10 +spd)  
Weapon: Durandal  
Special: Moonbow  
A: Life and Death 3  
B: Desperation 3  
C: Ward Cavalry  
S: Atk Spd 2  
Upgrade Path: 5  

Eliwood (5*+10 +atk)  
Weapon: Durandal  
A: Death Blow 4  
B: Chill Def 3  
C: Ward Cavalry  
S: Attack 3  

I generally go with +Def since I do not have trouble dealing with dragons, but if you need her to deal with dragons, then +Res would be better.

4. Palla- +Atk or +Spd? I also have Elincia for pure player phase but she's -Spd, so I was thinking of having Palla as a backup red flier unit who can tank better but also have that Brave effect when near fliers. Originally I was gonna go +Spd but again, after her refine is it better to just focus on +Atk instead of doubling?

+Spd technically does better if she has Brazen Atk/Spd and she is in Desperation range, but that is pretty expensive and anything less than Brazen Atk/Spd makes her worse than +Atk. Going with +Atk with Death Blow-Heavy Blade would give her almost the same level of performance right from the start so she does not need to set up her HP. I tested her against Hard List +10 with no blues.

Challenger List:

Spoiler

CHALLENGER LIST  
Palla (5*+10 +atk)  
Weapon: Whitewing Blade  
A: Death Blow 3  
C: Goad Fliers  
S: Heavy Blade 3  

Palla (5*+10 +spd)  
Weapon: Whitewing Blade  
Special: Luna  
A: Brazen Atk Spd 3  
B: Desperation 3  
C: Goad Fliers  
S: Atk Spd 2  

If you have Ninian and have A!F!Corrin and/or A!M!Corrin, I would just give Ninian Hone Dragons now. A!F!Corrin and A!M!Corrin are the best dragons to run a Player Phase set since their exclusive Weapon works on either phase. FV!F!Robin and ASS!Tiki can also run Player Phase sets pretty well due to their stat line (and color for FV!F!Robin), but they have to get rid of their exclusive Weapon, so I rather just keep them as Enemy Phase units.

6. Summer Adult Tiki- I have a +Def/-Spd one, I guess she wants lower Spd for more special charge? So it's better not to get rid of the bane? (I could give Melon Crusher + Close Def to someone but not sure who...maybe Barst?)

I would just merge and fix her Spd. She is not slow enough in my opinion to take advantage of -Spd well, so letting her avoid doubles is better.

Melon Crusher is a high maintenance Weapon though, so I am not sure if you want to use it as an Enemy Phase Weapon as it forces the unit to stick with a healer. It is great in short battle modes with few foes like Arena and it goes well with Fury, but outside of that, I would stick with Slaying Axe.

Challenger List:

Spoiler

CHALLENGER LIST  
Tiki(A) (Summer) (5* +def -spd)  
Weapon: Melon Crusher+  
A: Close Def 3  
B: Quick Riposte 3  
C: Axe Valor 3  
S: Atk Def Bond 3  
Upgrade Path: 3  

Tiki(A) (Summer) (5* +def)  

A: Fury 3  

Weapon: Slaying Axe+  
Special: Bonfire  

7. Flying Nino- +Res or +Def? I want to maximise her survivability so not sure if the extra points in Def helps her have close calls with a stray physical hit, or if I should just bump up her Res? (Or wait for a +Spd/+Atk one and save one of these for fodder).

I would go with +Res so she can sort of Ploy if you want her to, and she can also better tank mages and eat their counters.

+Def does not help against archers even with Iote's Shield, as they can hit pretty hard with Brave Bow or deny your counter attack with Firesweep Bow. If Nino is not in Desperation range, she can probably tank a hit from a dagger unit if she is fast enough (Swift Sparrow is not active on Enemy Phase), but if she is in Desperation range, the +Def means nothing since Nino does not have enough HP to back it up.

8. Saber- +Res or +HP? I've had the +Res one built and it's kind of fun using the Res boon for his DC refine, but is HP overall better for survivability for DC purposes? He is currently +Res/-HP so I've been using him with Dorcas for Infantry Pulse support for a Miracle build, but I guess going with +HP means he'll go over the Infantry Pulse threshold.

I tested him against Hard List +0 and +10, and the differences are minimal when I fully charge his Miracle so I do not think it matters. If he is not going to get doubled by foes often, I think +HP is a bit better since it contributes both to physical and magical bulk. If he gets doubled often by mages and they are his primary targets, or if he really needs Infantry Pulse to work, then I would go with +Res.

Challenger List:

Spoiler

CHALLENGER LIST  
Saber (5* +res)  
Weapon: Golden Dagger  
Special: Miracle  
B: Shield Pulse 3  
S: Quick Riposte 3  

Saber (5* +hp)  

Saber (5*+10 +res)  

Saber (5*+10 +hp)  

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Just another little boon question. Regular Nino, +Spd or +Atk? I've a *5 +Spd -Atk freebie from the NPB now, and some +Atk -Spd 4* copies, if I promoted one of those 4*s, should it or the 5* be the base of the merge?

I personally lean towards +Spd since she will need that Spd if she is going up against other nukes.

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And one other little, perhaps not really necessary, question. Is Micaiah fairly good with Desperation? Old memories of Sacrifice-Wrath on her in RD came to mind.

She will also need Brash Assault on her Sacred Seal if you want her to actually double things. Desperation by itself is not good on Micaiah because she is too slow to double.

Edited by XRay

4 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

If you want to try something like that use the Brash Assault Seal too; it would provoke some quite funny scenarios with all the damage that a Effective Tome gives xD.

As of late, I have only been using Lyn and Lucina out of the first set of Brave Heroes. My Roy is currently unfinished (and has been for a long while now), but I want to catch my +Def -Spd B!Ike. Fail that, what IVs are best for him right now?

Currently, my B!Ike just has his default skill set w/ Reposition.

Edited by Azure in a Roundabout

10 minutes ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

As of late, I have only been using Lyn and Lucina out of the first set of Brave Heroes. My Roy is currently unfinished (and has been for a long while now), but I want to catch my +Def -Spd B!Ike. Fail that, what IVs are best for him right now?

Currently, my B!Ike just has his default skill set w/ Reposition.

+Atk/Def are his best Assets if you are sticking with Aether, with +Atk giving more kills while +Def giving less deaths. If you are going for performance, +Def with Bonfire (he can trigger 2 Bonfires if he gets doubled versus 1 Ignis with Urvan) is better. If you merge, then the Flaw does not matter, but his ideal Flaw would be -Spd. -Res is also okay if you do not plan to have him face dragons.

Challenger List

Spoiler

CHALLENGER LIST  
Ike (Brave) (5*+10 +def)  
Weapon: Urvan  
Special: Aether  
A: Steady Breath  
C: Threaten Def 3  

Ike (Brave) (5*+10 +atk)  
Weapon: Urvan