"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

50 minutes ago, Rimbaldi said:

So I got very lucky with my IVs and now have these two rocking out at 5*.  So I want to build a team around them.  I love making the enemy come to me and then constrict them with my tanky units so this should work out well.  

I have Leanne as a Dancer to help their movement but could level up Olivia or Sylvia as a replacement.  

The last slot I'm not sure about.  Black Knight, Effie, Nowi, or Brave Lyn come to mind, but wanted to get some advice.

I assume you mean TLB!Myrrh and MOO!Hector.

Enemy Phase teams do not need Dancers/Singers; they do not need extra turn/movement if they are waiting for foes to come to them. If you really need the movement, I recommend using dragon infantry/fliers or other Distant Counter infantry units.

Since you got red and green covered, I recommend running a blue unit on the team for the third slot; I recommend Effie so you can run a Distant Counter-Ward Armor team.

The fourth slot should be left open to accommodate a bonus unit; if you do not need the bonus unit, I recommend running a healer to give your armor units more sustainability, or a flier with Reposition and Guidance for a little extra mobility to get across obstacles like water.

Edited by XRay

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, XRay said:

Enemy Phase teams do not need Dancers/Singers; they do not need extra turn/movement if they are waiting for foes to come to them. If you really need the movement, I recommend using dragon infantry/fliers or other Distant Counter infantry units.

Since you got red and green covered, I recommend running a blue unit on the team for the third slot; I recommend Effie so you can run a Distant Counter-Ward Armor team.

The fourth slot should be left open to accommodate a bonus unit; if you do not need the bonus unit, I recommend running a healer to give your armor units more sustainability, or a flier with Reposition and Guidance for a little extra mobility to get across obstacles like water.

Ok I have Effie so that works for the blue. My best colorless healers I have are Brave Veronica and Clarine but no flying healers.  Suggestions?

2 hours ago, XRay said:

I think you’re downplaying the value of 2-move on your enemy phase armors. I know several times that the limited mobility has screwed me over when I tried going without armor march. You can’t always depend on being able to tank every threat you wind up in range of, and pressing the advantage is a lot easier when you can move two spaces and attack in one action, especially when color matchups make it very particular who you can get away with attacking with who.

Edited by Alastor15243

I got a question about a dragon unit I have. So, I have Ignis as the special move, but it has a charge count of 4. If I put on Lighting Breath+, it now has a charge count of 5. If I use Special Fighter on this unit, would the rebound go as follows in Enemy Phase ("O" represents me attacking, "X" represents them attacking, "S" means special is ready):

5 X 3 O 1 X S O 5

Would I be able to use Ignis with Lightning Breath+ and guarantee a one-round special with it, even with Lightning Breath+, since my unit has low speed and could make use of the authority of Special Fighter.

EDIT: Never mind, I just realized Special Fighter doesn't inherit the quirk of Bold or Vengeful Fighter by guaranteeing follow-ups. That was a dumb question.

Edited by Notshane

42 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

I think you’re downplaying the value of 2-move on your enemy phase armors. I know several times that the limited mobility has screwed me over when I tried going without armor march. You can’t always depend on being able to tank every threat you wind up in range of, and pressing the advantage is a lot easier when you can move two spaces and attack in one action, especially when color matchups make it very particular who you can get away with attacking with who.

In my opinion, that is better suited for dual phase armors since they have Bold Fighter to kill things on Player Phase. Enemy Phase armor teams can simply sit at the edge of enemy range and Swap around as necessary.

If the player is in a game mode that requires Armor March like in Aether Raids or certain Abyssal maps, then I do not recommend Enemy Phase armor teams since giving them increased mobility just is not going to cut it as they lack the combat performance to handle Player Phase.

18 hours ago, XRay said:

If the player is in a game mode that requires Armor March like in Aether Raids or certain Abyssal maps, then I do not recommend Enemy Phase armor teams since giving them increased mobility just is not going to cut it as they lack the combat performance to handle Player Phase.

Whole teams, yeah no way that'll work, though I do tend to leave Legendary Tiki as an option on a team since she's one of few units in the game who can bait Tibarn safely

18 hours ago, XRay said:

In my opinion, that is better suited for dual phase armors since they have Bold Fighter to kill things on Player Phase. Enemy Phase armor teams can simply sit at the edge of enemy range and Swap around as necessary.

So if I run a team of TLB!Myrrh, MOO!Hector, Effie and Brave Veronica,  what skills do you recommend for each?

9 minutes ago, jameslove001 said:

Is there a good thread about combat manuals? I haven't really done much with manuals, because even after reading tutorials, I don't fully get it. Any help would be appreciated.

There's no specific thread on them. Questions just go here.

Basically, combat manuals are just a way to keep your merge fodder and skill inheritance fodder somewhere where it doesn't take up barracks space.

Combat manuals can be promoted in rarity and sent home for feathers the same way that normal units can. The only functional differences between normal units and combat manuals are:

• Combat manuals do not take up barracks space.
  • Combat manuals cannot be a merge base (but can be used as merge fodder).
  • Combat manuals cannot be taught skills (but can be used to teach skills).
  • Combat manuals cannot be fielded in combat (and therefore cannot do things that only matter for combat, such as have a relevant level and stats, receive summoner support, equip skills, etc.).

7 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

There's no specific thread on them. Questions just go here.

Basically, combat manuals are just a way to keep your merge fodder and skill inheritance fodder somewhere where it doesn't take up barracks space.

Combat manuals can be promoted in rarity and sent home for feathers the same way that normal units can. The only functional differences between normal units and combat manuals are:

• Combat manuals do not take up barracks space.
  • Combat manuals cannot be a merge base (but can be used as merge fodder).
  • Combat manuals cannot be taught skills (but can be used to teach skills).
  • Combat manuals cannot be fielded in combat (and therefore cannot do things that only matter for combat, such as have a relevant level and stats, receive summoner support, equip skills, etc.).

First, thank you. Second, a couple of clarifying questions: 

There is really no loss for converting some 3* units because I can use feathers later to their 4* kit later? I understand that you don't get the full merge benefit, but for example, I have a 5* Merric, and a 4*+10 version and still have plenty left. The only loss I get is that Merric cannot be 5*+#, but I can save his skill set in case, say Cecilia could use something of his?

Whenever you have the option to do ten different characters at one time they are being converted into 10 different manuals, not a single manual?

I think basically knowing about those questions sets me on my way.

2 minutes ago, jameslove001 said:

There is really no loss for converting some 3* units because I can use feathers later to their 4* kit later? I understand that you don't get the full merge benefit, but for example, I have a 5* Merric, and a 4*+10 version and still have plenty left. The only loss I get is that Merric cannot be 5*+#, but I can save his skill set in case, say Cecilia could use something of his?

If you have no intention of using a unit as a merge base (and don't use merge chaining for extra SP), there's no loss in converting the unit into a manual. You can always promote manuals to 4-star or 5-star rarity later to use as merge fodder or skill inheritance fodder.

4 minutes ago, jameslove001 said:

Whenever you have the option to do ten different characters at one time they are being converted into 10 different manuals, not a single manual?

Each unit is always converted separately.

2 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

If you have no intention of using a unit as a merge base (and don't use merge chaining for extra SP), there's no loss in converting the unit into a manual. You can always promote manuals to 4-star or 5-star rarity later to use as merge fodder or skill inheritance fodder.

Each unit is always converted separately.

Thanks for your help! I have been wasting a ton of feathers converting characters to 4* just to merge or immediate use for inheritance instead of using manuals, so this is helpful.

2 minutes ago, jameslove001 said:

Thanks for your help! I have been wasting a ton of feathers converting characters to 4* just to merge or immediate use for inheritance instead of using manuals, so this is helpful.

The feather cost for promoting a manual is the same as for promoting a normal unit, so you haven't really wasted anything.

2 hours ago, Rimbaldi said:

So if I run a team of TLB!Myrrh, MOO!Hector, Effie and Brave Veronica,  what skills do you recommend for each?

For Enemy Phase team composition:

Myrrh
Spirit Breath
Swap
Moonbow — Bonfire — Ignis
Distant Counter
Vengeful Fighter
Ward Armor
Close Def — Distant Def — Atk/Def Bond

MOO!Hector
Thunder Armads
Swap
Distant Counter
Vengeful Fighter
Ward Armor

Effie
Slaying Lance [Res] — Slaying Lance [Def]
Swap
Distant Counter
Vengeful Fighter — Quick Riposte
Ward Armor

AOTB!Veronica
Hliðskjálf
Physic — Restore — Recover
Miracle — Windfire Balm
Attack +3
Wrathful Staff
Close Guard
Attack +3 — Drive Def — Drive Res — Life to Serve

On your armor units, I would normally recommend running the strongest Special that your units can reasonably activate during every round of combat, but if you see a lot of foes with low Spd or foes with skills like Guard, you might want to switch to a lower cool down Special. Slaying-Moonbow-Vengeful Fighter is an extreme case for Effie, but there are enough units with skills like Guard in the Hard List in the calculator that makes such a skill set reasonably competitive, so I think it warrants Enemy Phase players to pay more attention to the enemies they face in PvP and adjust their Special timing accordingly.

— — — — — — —

For dual phase team:

Myrrh
Spirit Breath
Reposition — Swap
Moonbow
Distant Counter
Vengeful Fighter
Armor March — Goad Armor — Hone Armor
Armor Boots — Atk/Def — HP/Res — Drive Atk — Drive Def — Drive Res — Atk Smoke

MOO!Hector
Thunder Armads
Reposition — Swap
Moonbow — Bonfire
Distant Counter
Bold Fighter
Armor Boots — Atk/Def — HP/Res — Drive Atk — Drive Def — Drive Res — Atk Smoke

Effie
Slaying Lance [Res] — Slaying Lance [Def]
Reposition — Swap
Moonbow — Bonfire
Distant Counter
Bold Fighter
Quick Riposte

AOTB!Veronica
Hliðskjálf
Physic — Restore — Recover
Miracle — Windfire Balm
Attack +3
Wrathful Staff
Close Guard
Attack +3 — Drive Atk — Drive Def — Drive Res — Life to Serve

I have some SI questions since I have some extra 5*s I don't want to use as merges. I will probably wait until after the March update so I could SI more the 3 skills.  Anyway the units I have for fodder are: L!Lyn, OG!Dorcas, OG!Cordelia, B!Hector and dancer!Xander.  This the first time I have this much 5* fodder and I really don't know who I should give it to, so recommendations would great.  About the only idea I had was giving spd tactics to Seth since I gave him his refine, but I don't know if that is the best tactics skill to give him.

2 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Besides Reinhardt, are there any other high tier units among the 3 and 4 star pool I should consider investing feathers in?

Nino is one. Hana, too, I suppose. Both because they have high offenses. The latter even comes with an armorslaying weapon (though, you will need to upgrade it to make it better).

5 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Besides Reinhardt, are there any other high tier units among the 3 and 4 star pool I should consider investing feathers in?

Tharja, Lilina, Nino, Marth, Palla, Cordelia, Shigure, Catria, Est, every dragon, every armor.

4 hours ago, EricaofRenais said:

I have some SI questions since I have some extra 5*s I don't want to use as merges. I will probably wait until after the March update so I could SI more the 3 skills.  Anyway the units I have for fodder are: L!Lyn, OG!Dorcas, OG!Cordelia, B!Hector and dancer!Xander.  This the first time I have this much 5* fodder and I really don't know who I should give it to, so recommendations would great.  About the only idea I had was giving spd tactics to Seth since I gave him his refine, but I don't know if that is the best tactics skill to give him.

If you use Blade mages and Dancers/Singers, I would give LOTW!Lyn's Spd Tactic one of your most used Dancers/Singers.

— — — — — — —

Dorcas got Fierce Stance and Infantry Pulse. The only units off the top of my who can use Fierce Stance well are Seliph and maybe Leo since their Weapons turn them into really bulky tanks. I am not a huge fan of Infantry Pulse since the team composition requirement is very strict and it only gives you 1 cooldown charge only on turn 1, so the cost far outweighs the reward in my opinion.

Seliph cannot be killed in the first initiating hit due to Miracle in his Tyrfing, and if the first hit does not bring his HP down to 1, his Miracle can still activate on the second hit, giving him essentially infinite bulk; Seliph can still be killed by Ophelia, Brave Weapon users, and sometimes Blade mages though, so watch out.

Leo's Brynhildr reduces the initiating hit by 30% and prevents ranged units from making followup attacks if his Def is higher, so he is super tanky. For a nuke to kill Leo, they either need to kill him in one shot with something like 98 Atk (98=(39HP+30Res)/0.7), or have enough Def to double Leo, which nukes rarely have. I assume most Leos will run either Atk/Def Bond or Distant Def, so Leo is really hard to kill by regular magic nukes. Like Seliph though, Leo is still weak to Ophelia and Brave Weapon users, although not as much to Blade mages.

For Infantry Pulse, the only units I think who can use it effectively is Ophelia's teammates. Instead of requiring two mage allies, Infantry Pulse makes her team a bit less restrictive and can run less mage allies. However, Infantry Pulse is still kind of crap in my opinion since it is pretty much an empty skill slot after turn 1.

There is also Quick Riposte so you can use a Subaki first and then finish it off with Quick Riposte 3 from Dorcas.

— — — — — — —

Cordelia has Galeforce, but that is pretty much it. Roy got Triangle Adept 3, and Triangle Adept 2 is sufficient in most cases if you get it from 4* Selena and Cordelia. Brave Lance+ is not that hard to obtain either, but I guess it can save your Feathers.

I am not a huge fan of Galeforce myself, but you can give fliers the same Slaying-Galeforce builds as Cordelia. There are SA!Innes and Minerva for green and HNY!Camilla for red.

— — — — — — —

AOTB!Hector got Bold Fighter, but that is about it. My personal favorite for Bold Fighter is TOD!Jakob; he runs Firesweep Bow and Armor Boots to have Takumi's mobility and BB!Cordelia's offensive power, so I essentially turned him into an infantry archer. Out of all the dual phase armors that did not already have Bold Fighter, I think GOW!Fae is the best recipient.

There is also Even Res Wave, but I am not a huge fan of Wave skills in general since it is so unreliable. Even Res Wave can be pretty nice though if they release Odd Res Wave Sacred Seal to fix the reliability issue.

— — — — — — —

FIH!Xander got Close Counter, Quick Riposte, and Odd Def Wave. Despite my bias against Wave skills, I would personally prioritize that over Quick Riposte since Subaki is available in lower rarities. Odd Def Wave also got its reliability issue fixed with Even Def Wave Sacred Seal being available, so it is not too bad.

You can maybe try giving him to GOW!Cecilia. Odd Def Wave and Even Def Wave together will better balance out her Def and Res and it makes her a little more viable outside of an armor team. As a colorless tank, she also does not have to worry about the color triangle when she fights off foes with Close Counter, although she does not have any strengths either. If there are any other ranged armor units you like, you can give them the same set up too.

4 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

There is also Tailtiu and Lilina. Tailtiu is basically Ishtar Lite; Ishtar has more consistent/frequent Special activation and better stats, while Tailtiu hits a bit harder when her Special activates. Lilina hits stupidly hard with Death Blow and Chill Res on her Forblaze.

M!Morgan and Soren do not have flashy tomes, but they have a decent stat line and can work well as a Blade mages. Mae and L'Arachel are a bit slow, but if you get a +Spd copy, they can be quite serviceable as Blade mages as well.

Olivia, Silvia, and Reyson are Dancers/Singers so they are always good in my opinion. While a basic skill set is not very Feather intensive, a minimal amount of investment in them will go a very long way. For the average player, Dancers/Singers generally are not meant for combat so their skill set is pretty cheap, with Fury and maybe Wings of Mercy being the most expensive skills you will give them. Fury increases their bulk further while Wings of Mercy allows them to teleport to Desperation allies. You can also increase their bulk via merges, but that generally is not necessary and it is quite Feather intensive, so unless you are a fan of Dancers/Singers like I am, I would not bother with merges.

I am not great with melee units nor a huge fan of them in general, but M!Corrin's Yato is pretty useful if you can get 2 or more of him on the team and have them Ally Support the unit that carries the team. As a support unit similar to Dancers/Singers, M!Corrin is not very expensive Feather wise since his merges and skills do not really matter, but he does need Divine Dew to Refine his Yato. If you are into Counter-Vantage builds, Ares is great due to Dark Mystletainn. I would also recommend investing in the Askran royals; Alfonse with Desperation-Brash Assault makes getting bonus kills super easy in Arena, while Sharena with Distant Counter is a great for carrying the team in Aether Raids during her bonus weeks.

Edited by XRay

4 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

@XRay You called Male Corrin M!Morgan a few times in the last paragraph, just to clarify. Morgan has zero access to Yato and has no place in HoshidoNohrLand.

I will fix that now! Probably my subconscious thinking about M!Morgan since he got skipped in the upcoming Gauntlet.

Edited by XRay

@XRay OK thanks.  I don't really use blade tomes that much anymore, but I will keep that in mind.  Fierce stance will go to Leo then, since I use him a lot more then my Seliph.  I think I will just save the galeforce since I don't know who I want to have it.  C!Cecilia sounds good and I do use her a fair bit.  I have never pulled firesweep bow fodder, but I may still give might H!Jakob bold fighter, since he doesn't have any really good fighter skill right now.

What's a budget A skill for a +Atk/-Spd Julia? She's going to be used to deal with dragons in AA. I refined her weapon and would like to give her Mirror Stance once it's available in the 4* regular summoning pool but in the meantime, something else will have to do. 

4 minutes ago, Flying Shogi said:

What's a budget A skill for a +Atk/-Spd Julia? She's going to be used to deal with dragons in AA. I refined her weapon and would like to give her Mirror Stance once it's available in the 4* regular summoning pool but in the meantime, something else will have to do. 

Fury is always a good option, if you want.

3 minutes ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

Fury is always a good option, if you want.

I'm low on Fury supply and it might clash with Quick Riposte but I'll consider it once I pull more Hinata's. 

Edited by Flying Shogi